or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › The official Elite screen thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official Elite screen thread. - Page 31

post #901 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

I retracted it after each use. I honestly never paid any attention to the back. The Cintension has been perfect ever since.

Well here's to hoping that if I find myself it that situation, I can get upgraded too Did you have to ask, or did they just offer to upgrade you. Lucky they didn't make you wait until they had more home2's available! Is it just my eyes or does the tension screen have slightly arched sides....obviously the masking is arched intentionally, but it almost looks like that pulls the white viewing area into a slight arch as well. It appears that way on the elite site as well, so I wonder if it is an optical illusion.

Nice setup BTW. I will be dropping my screen down in front of a 61" DLP. Best of both worlds!
post #902 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

I had a Home2 that was replaced under warranty due to waves. They were out of the Home2 and upgraded me to the Cinetension2.

I'm adding a projector to my set up and I was planning on getting the Cinetension 92" screen. I have dual needs for it, I plan to use it for movies (controlled lighting in the nighttime, moderate ambient light in the daytime) and sports events (where ambient light is necessary). I have an Epson HC 8100 and plan on 11-13' throw. I dont know if I should get the Cinegrey, Powergain, or Cinewhite. Any recommendations on which one would be the best fit for what I need?
post #903 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post

Well here's to hoping that if I find myself it that situation, I can get upgraded too Did you have to ask, or did they just offer to upgrade you. Lucky they didn't make you wait until they had more home2's available! Is it just my eyes or does the tension screen have slightly arched sides....obviously the masking is arched intentionally, but it almost looks like that pulls the white viewing area into a slight arch as well. It appears that way on the elite site as well, so I wonder if it is an optical illusion.

Nice setup BTW. I will be dropping my screen down in front of a 61" DLP. Best of both worlds!

I didn't ask, they just did it. But they also knew I was with AVS.
The curve is only in the mask, that's an illusion.
post #904 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sornom View Post

I'm adding a projector to my set up and I was planning on getting the Cinetension 92" screen. I have dual needs for it, I plan to use it for movies (controlled lighting in the nighttime, moderate ambient light in the daytime) and sports events (where ambient light is necessary). I have an Epson HC 8100 and plan on 11-13' throw. I dont know if I should get the Cinegrey, Powergain, or Cinewhite. Any recommendations on which one would be the best fit for what I need?

I have total control over ambient light so the Cinewhite was all I needed. I can't speak for their other materials.
post #905 of 1663
Here's my screen I just got. Please let me know if I have a defective screen or if this is within spec. (according to the sales lady). Please advise. Thank you in advance.
LL
LL
LL
post #906 of 1663
Definately defective!
post #907 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDL View Post

Here's my screen I just got. Please let me know if I have a defective screen or if this is within spec. (according to the sales lady). Please advise. Thank you in advance.

I would not accept that and would fight them for a replacement or even an upgrade if they all do that. Especially the pic of the bottom edge. How they can say that is acceptable is beyond me. I realize the vmax is a budget screen, but that doesn't excuse absolute crap like that.
post #908 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDL View Post

Here's my screen I just got. Please let me know if I have a defective screen or if this is within spec. (according to the sales lady). Please advise. Thank you in advance.

Man that looks like poo. There's no way you should have to keep a screen that looks like that. It's definitely defective.
post #909 of 1663
Sigh. QC issues clearly with Elite. I had a crooked cinetension, the replacement had a noisy clanking sound. Instead of fooling with a third, I justswapped the motors. If the next up tensioned screen wasn't double the cost I would have asked for a refund.
post #910 of 1663
That's what I thought too. I am waiting to hear back from the dealer. They are contacting Elite. I am hoping I'll get a replacement or if I can upgrade to a tensioned one.
post #911 of 1663
Defective for sure.
post #912 of 1663
Update - Elite deemed it as defective so it's going back. I also upgraded to the Cinetension 2 series. Hopefully, I'll have no issues and just be able to enjoy it. Thank you all for the quick replies.
post #913 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDL View Post

Update - Elite deemed it as defective so it's going back. I also upgraded to the Cinetension 2 series. Hopefully, I'll have no issues and just be able to enjoy it. Thank you all for the quick replies.

Did you originally buy it from them? IF not, how did they work out the upgrade cost?

I have a home2 on order. It is the best fit for my space as the cinetension might not fit. However, if the home2 proves to be problematic with wrinkles and waves, I would probably ask Elite if I could upgrade.....just don't know how they would work that since I purchased the screen from PP.
post #914 of 1663
I did not buy it from them. I bought it from a local dealer. They just gave me fulll credit for the refund and I paid the difference on the better screen.
post #915 of 1663
Well,

My home2 is waiting for me when I get home. Any advice on mounting this so that it will be as perpendicular to where the projector will be as possible? I don't know if I can trust measuring from my back wall out. There is a joist right where I need it to be clear the TV, so I only have a limited amount of play, but I want to make sure it will be straight so when I hang the PJ the image will be square.

Keep in mind, I will have lens shift to work with, so the most critical point is just making sure they are both physically perpendicular. Any vertical or horizontal offset will be lens shifted. (not much will be needed).
post #916 of 1663
Hey Guys,

If anyone is interested, I did a video on how to decrease the drop on the Elite Screens Cinetension2 screens. Hope this helps someone.

&fs=1" width="644" height="390">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&fs=1" />[ATTN POSTER: YouTube Insert Error: Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click 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" target="_blank">here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.]
post #917 of 1663
Well, my home2 was a mess on arrival. The packaging was fine and everything looked in great condition. Got it hung from the ceiling dropped it down and...


wrinkles, warping, and waves....OH MY.

So I too am now upgrading to the Cinetension2. PP was very good about handling the exchange.

I guess I would urge the same caution as others have iterated. If you buy an Elite motorized screen, be prepared for wavy surface. Just spend the extra to get the tensioned screen if you can.

Here's to hoping the Cinetension will the last stop or me!

Also, apparently Elite may not want the whole screen back....maybe just part of the fabric. I am waiting on final word on that, but anyone else who has done an exchange have to ship back only part of the screen....or did you have to send back the whole thing? Return shipping is on Elite, but I' love not to have to pack the whole thing and haul it to FEDEX or UPS!
LL
LL
LL
post #918 of 1663
Am just starting my home theater with an Epson 8100. I had a 120" screen to buy, and shopped around quite a bit. In the end, I decided to go cheap on the screen now and do a DIY 2.35:1 later. I bought the Elite M120UWH2 manual pulldown for about $115.

It arrived via Fedex in 3 days, I hung it last night in about 20 minutes, and it looks great. Couldn't be happier with my decision.
post #919 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsullivan3 View Post

Am just starting my home theater with an Epson 8100. I had a 120" screen to buy, and shopped around quite a bit. In the end, I decided to go cheap on the screen now and do a DIY 2.35:1 later. I bought the Elite M120UWH2 manual pulldown for about $115.

It arrived via Fedex in 3 days, I hung it last night in about 20 minutes, and it looks great. Couldn't be happier with my decision.

I bought the same projector for my new HT; however i'm still working on setting up all the components. Just curious how does the projector perform with ambient light on your Matte white screen?
post #920 of 1663
My Cinewhite screen (cinetension2 version of matte white) does great with some lights on, Epson 8500 pj btw. even better with lights off.

it does seem to crush the whites a bit, but I haven't calibrated yet, need to paint first.
post #921 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice54 View Post

My Cinewhite screen (cinetension2 version of matte white) does great with some lights on, Epson 8500 pj btw. even better with lights off.

it does seem to crush the whites a bit, but I haven't calibrated yet, need to paint first.

On your 8500, try turning super white on. on my 8100, leaving it off seems to crush whites at the end of the grayscale ramp.
post #922 of 1663
I'll give it shot, thanks.
post #923 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sornom View Post

I bought the same projector for my new HT; however i'm still working on setting up all the components. Just curious how does the projector perform with ambient light on your Matte white screen?

I'm working on all the components as well. I have not even played with the image settings on the 8100, so I can't give you a good opinion, yet.
post #924 of 1663
I was just asked to cut out a 10" x 10" center piece of the screen and return it with all the remotes. I got the Cinetension 2 and I love it. Should have just gone that route to begin with. Only thing to note, the casing is about 3 time bigger then the home2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post

Well, my home2 was a mess on arrival. The packaging was fine and everything looked in great condition. Got it hung from the ceiling dropped it down and...


wrinkles, warping, and waves....OH MY.

So I too am now upgrading to the Cinetension2. PP was very good about handling the exchange.

I guess I would urge the same caution as others have iterated. If you buy an Elite motorized screen, be prepared for wavy surface. Just spend the extra to get the tensioned screen if you can.

Here's to hoping the Cinetension will the last stop or me!

Also, apparently Elite may not want the whole screen back....maybe just part of the fabric. I am waiting on final word on that, but anyone else who has done an exchange have to ship back only part of the screen....or did you have to send back the whole thing? Return shipping is on Elite, but I' love not to have to pack the whole thing and haul it to FEDEX or UPS!
post #925 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDL View Post

I was just asked to cut out a 10" x 10" center piece of the screen and return it with all the remotes. I got the Cinetension 2 and I love it. Should have just gone that route to begin with. Only thing to note, the casing is about 3 time bigger then the home2.

Got my cinetension yesterday and it is a beast! I to go out and get some lag bolts because it only came with 4 masonry screws. It is pretty flat, just a tiny wrinkle in the bottom right corner. I played with the tension a bit and was able to virtually eliminate it. It does seem that the top masking is not completely even, as if it slopes up slightly towards the right top corner. But I think I am done with exchanges. Anyone else's do that?

Hopefully they just want a piece of the old screen back.

3 Questions.

1) Have any of ou adjusted your tension? I have mine set to where the cords are not super tight, nor lose.....seemed like a god in between point but I wonder why Elite does not recommend adjusting the tension.

2) I accidentally adjusted my top drop ( how far up the bottom bar retracts into the case wen closed. So I had to go memory and pictures to reset it. I have mine set so that the bottom of the tension knob is still visible from the side of the casing. I didn't want to retract it to far. How are your set? Pictures would be great if you have them

3) Do you let the image run slightly (maybe 1/8") over into the black masking? Or are most of you getting your image perfectly withing the screen area with no spillover?
post #926 of 1663
Well, no wonder I had trouble with overspill. The screen is not cut properly. One side is 48.5" the other is the correct 49" The width is also off at 87.5" The top masking varies about 3/8" from one side to the other. That is why I am having issues. Going to try and return it.
post #927 of 1663
I was leaning heavily in getting a cinetension 2 but all the talks of material not properly sized, one sized lower than other, etc. have really been scaring me off. I might go with a focupix instead.
post #928 of 1663
Well here is Elite story so that you may weight this before making a purchase.

I started out looked for a motorized screen for my Epson 8100. Elite made the most economical sense. First I looked at the VMax2 but saw all the problems people had with waves, wrinkles, ect. So I ordered at the home2 series, which advertises a fiberglass backing to keep it flat. It was anything but flat. In an earlier post in this thread are attached pictures of that mess.

So I returned it for a cinetension, having gone up to $750 and over my original planned budget by almost $500. But I figured if it's flat, it will be worth it down the road.

My cinetension arrived and It looked pretty good, very flat with only a small wrinkle in the bottom right that would even out after about 5 minutes. All seemed well until I tried to center an image on it. I tried everything but I just could not get it to fill the screen without over-spill. I decided to measure the screen and found the dimensions to be incorrect. 48.5" high on one side closer to 49 on the other and the width was 87.5". There was also a slight skew due to a 1/8" error in the masking across the top. (A 100" diagonal screen is 49" by 87")

So I contacted the reseller who not only agreed to exchange it without charging me for the immediate shipping of a new screen before the old one was returned....But they even went so far as to conference Elite into out conversation. Elite was going to pull out some screens from the warehouse, measure and check them to assure it was right, and then ship it to me.

Well I got the "checked" screen and it was even worse. Now the dimensions were correct, but there were horizontal stripes running across the screen. They were about 3" thick each and spaced evenly at about every 5 inches, 5 total. They were actually indentations pressed into the material. It looks like impressions from the roller stretching the material too tightly. That would explain why the stripes run the entire width and are so evenly spaced and the same exact thickness each.

How in the world they didn't see this is beyond me. I decided I will keep the original cinetension. At least it is flat. I can over shoot the image just a bit and live with that. I can't fault the reseller, they went the extra mile to make it right. I can only say that buying an elite motorized screen is risky. But it's a tough place to be because the price difference between there tensioned screens and models from Draper and Da-lite are huge. Those cost more than my PJ. While Elite may be an economical solution, $750 is NOT cheap, nor is it an excuse for such poor quality control....especially since they were supposed to have double checked this one.

Just info for those considering Elite
post #929 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post

On your 8500, try turning super white on. on my 8100, leaving it off seems to crush whites at the end of the grayscale ramp.

Thanks for the tip, that did the trick.

My masking is still not perfect on the replacement screen, but better. I'm not willing to spend double price to get a better masking job. I quickly forget about it and get immersed in the movie, I only notice when I look for it in the bottom right corner.
post #930 of 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice54 View Post

Thanks for the tip, that did the trick.

My masking is still not perfect on the replacement screen, but better. I'm not willing to spend double price to get a better masking job. I quickly forget about it and get immersed in the movie, I only notice when I look for it in the bottom right corner.

At least your replacement was better! See experience above!

Glad that setting helped....I know I needed to make that change to avoid clipping.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Screens
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › The official Elite screen thread.