or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › How do you find out how to access a service menu?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How do you find out how to access a service menu?  

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I have the Vizio 50" and there is no info at this point as to how to access its service menu...would I need to get a professional calibration done and look over his shoulder while he's accessing it? :D
post #2 of 10
Greetings

If you get a pro to do it ... he will usually tell you ... but then ... it's kinda too late to do it yourself.

Get the service manual for the set or contact vinc and ask them and see what happens. The companies are usually more receptive to requests from techs though.

Regards
post #3 of 10
there is alot of info on the internet if you search
but here's one

http://members.aol.com/philselectronics/servicemenu.htm
post #4 of 10
Hi guys,
I have Infocus 7205, using factory settings for component source every thing is set at 50, now is there any way I can tweak 7205 to further improve color, contract and brightness or just leave it as is. My DVD player is Denon 2910 currently taking 480i signals from component output and I let projector do the up scaling.
I will appreciate any feed back
Thanks
raoof
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRaoof
Hi guys,
I have Infocus 7205, using factory settings for component source every thing is set at 50, now is there any way I can tweak 7205 to further improve color, contract and brightness or just leave it as is. My DVD player is Denon 2910 currently taking 480i signals from component output and I let projector do the up scaling.
I will appreciate any feed back
Thanks
raoof
I have an Infocus SP7200. Infocus has done a better job with implementing the Faraoudja video processor than what I have seen done with the same chip in DVD players. Sending it 480i from the DVD player is probably your best bet. To compare choose an extreme close up that has tons of fine detail and see which resolves it better, 480i or 480P.

On the SP7205 leave all sharpeness settings at 0. They are called "Chroma detail" and "Luma Detail". Leave "True Color" on (it can't be turned off when receiving an interlaced signal like 480i, anyways). To set the basic settings on the first page of the "Picture" menu, you need the test patterns on DVE, AVIA, or the Sound and Vision test disk. One of these disks should be considered essential. You have to have one to set these levels properly. There is no single proper setting for analogue sources, because they vary.

Properly setting the Gains and Offsetts in the Advanced Color Menu requires special equipment. This is a large part of the advanced calibration that is done by an ISF calbrator. The good news is that when new the 72XX PJs are pretty accurate out of the box.

As the bulb ages with use its color shifts toward green (as with all PJs that use mercury based lamps). A calibrator uses a colorimeter and test signals to correct this shift.

Glenn
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17
I have the Vizio 50" and there is no info at this point as to how to access its service menu...would I need to get a professional calibration done and look over his shoulder while he's accessing it? :D
WARNING WILL ROBINSON:

Don't play around in Service Menus's. In the words of Joel Silver, "You may not have the liked the image before you entered the Service Menu, but at least there was an image." If you get the access code, you should also get specific info as to what settings to change to affect your display. If you just start experimenting, you might regret it. Many Service Menus are huge and somewhat cryptic.

I have not done a Visio and am not familiar with its menu system so I could not tell you about it specifically.

Glenn
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenned
WARNING WILL ROBINSON:

Don't play around in Service Menus's. In the words of Joel Silver, "You may not have the liked the image before you entered the Service Menu, but at least there was an image." If you get the access code, you should also get specific info as to what settings to change to affect your display. If you just start experimenting, you might regret it. Many Service Menus are huge and somewhat cryptic.

I have not done a Visio and am not familiar with its menu system so I could not tell you about it specifically.

Glenn
If I write down the default settings first I should be ok though right? Anyway, no sense in thinking about it since no one knows how to get into it :(
post #8 of 10
Greetings

Some sets had land mines in the service menu ... whether there on purpose or by accident. YOu activate it ... it can fry some part of the TV ... and no amount of writing down the original values will help you.

Regards
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17
If I write down the default settings first I should be ok though right? Anyway, no sense in thinking about it since no one knows how to get into it :(
Yes, you need to be aware of any potentially disastrous effect and know that it won't be permanent or saved, and know how to disengage without saving settings you've made.

Dan
post #10 of 10
Some sets have auto calibration modes requiring a specific pattern. Don't have the pattern? Good luck in ever getting bias/cut/gains correct.

Paul
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Display Calibration
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › How do you find out how to access a service menu?