or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Hartford, CT - Comcast
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hartford, CT - Comcast - Page 5

post #121 of 3285
The Comcast installer comes on Sunday. Which HD DVR will he be bringing? Do we know if everything rolled out now is phase III in the Hartford area? Best, M
post #122 of 3285
What is "phase III?"
post #123 of 3285
post #124 of 3285
Guess I must have a Phase I/II, since I have DVI and not HDMI. I wonder if it worth asking for a new "Phase III."
post #125 of 3285
I have been doing some research and it seems that it has some advanges, specially a better analog picture. I will only accept a Phase III and I hope that is what is being installed now, thus my initial question.
post #126 of 3285
mnylen - you mind me asking how much more per month is the HD DVR setting you back? I live in Windsor and am currently getting analog cable with no box (my TV has a QAM tuner so I get the locals in HD for free from cable line). I'm trying to figure out how much more per month it will cost to upgrade from analog expanded basic up to HD w/DVR. I believe you need to upgrade to at least the lowest digital package...thx
post #127 of 3285
No worries, but I do not know if the info that I have will help you since I took a "buy dish back" program. I am a DirecTv subscriber and now get $25 off the cable bill for 16 months. With the siliver package, HD DVR sub, sports sub I end up under $70 bucks a month.
post #128 of 3285
OK - sounds like about $95/month (assuming +$25 in 16 months). I'm currently at $50/month for EB. I guess I'll call Comcast and see what my options are. I've held off for a year but I am getting spoiled watching network shows (24, CSI, etc.) in HD and then having to watch on crappy SD recorded from my VCR if I miss it "live". Be nice to be able to record and play back in HD (plus get other HD content). Thanks
post #129 of 3285
You are welcome. Good luck. The HD DVRs have been backlogged for a while. I would definitely call and see what they can offer you. But I would only take a Phase III unit...
post #130 of 3285
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheneyp View Post

OK - sounds like about $95/month (assuming +$25 in 16 months). I'm currently at $50/month for EB. I guess I'll call Comcast and see what my options are. I've held off for a year but I am getting spoiled watching network shows (24, CSI, etc.) in HD and then having to watch on crappy SD recorded from my VCR if I miss it "live". Be nice to be able to record and play back in HD (plus get other HD content). Thanks

cheneyp,

The box will end up setting you back $15/month more than you're currently paying and you will also have to upgrade to Digital Classic for an extra $6 a month for a grand total of an extra $21/month.
post #131 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2HD4Now View Post

cheneyp,

The box will end up setting you back $15/month more than you're currently paying.

So, is that Digital Classic/Basic + HD (presumably "basic" HD, not including HBO, SHO, etc.) and HD DVR?

Sounds like if they're backlogged, I have to wait for the honor to pay that much more! mnylen, how long have you been waiting?
post #132 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheneyp View Post

So, is that Digital Classic/Basic + HD (presumably "basic" HD, not including HBO, SHO, etc.) and HD DVR?

Sounds like if they're backlogged, I have to wait for the honor to pay that much more! mnylen, how long have you been waiting?

Three weeks ago they had no ETA. Two weeks ago ditto. Last week, suddenly they were shipping again. Seems that they have some now.
post #133 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnylen View Post

Three weeks ago they had no ETA. Two weeks ago ditto. Last week, suddenly they were shipping again. Seems that they have some now.

Sounds good. Let us know whether they bring the famous "Phase III" box!
post #134 of 3285
Stay tuned...
post #135 of 3285
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheneyp View Post

So, is that Digital Classic/Basic + HD (presumably "basic" HD, not including HBO, SHO, etc.) and HD DVR?

Sounds like if they're backlogged, I have to wait for the honor to pay that much more! mnylen, how long have you been waiting?

The charges are not for HD programming, per se, but 4.95 for the box rental, and 9.95 for DVR service. They won't give you a DVR without at least Digital Classic service.

You'll get ESPN HD, Discovery HD, INHD, INHD2 in addition to the local networks you already get in HD.
post #136 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2HD4Now View Post

The charges are not for HD programming, per se, but 4.95 for the box rental, and 9.95 for DVR service. They won't give you a DVR without at least Digital Classic service.

You'll get ESPN HD, Discovery HD, INHD, INHD2 in addition to the local networks you already get in HD.

From the latest price list, it looks like $6.20 to get Digital Classic, $8.95 for an HD Cable Box and $9.95 for DVR service (I assume that the DVR and Cable box are one and the same). Looks like $25/month more. Adds up fast!
post #137 of 3285
The installer arrived within the designated window 8am and midnight, just kidding, but anyhow the two digital settop boxes for the non hdtv were not on the order (another installer had to bring two) and the HD DVR was a used one, non phase III that turned out to be a bad box. Now, the analog channels were horrible. There is no guarantee that the box that will be brought to me today will be a phase III, but the good news is that Comcast will, starting this or next week, not have any more analog channels in my area, they are all going to be digital, so hopefully the box that they will bring will give me a good image so my wife does not kill me for not being able to watch the Shield on the big TV (the TVs with the digital set top boxes are fine).

I have to say, the HD programming looks fabulous on my TV. I am hooked and I only watched for a few hours.
post #138 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnylen View Post

the good news is that Comcast will, starting this or next week, not have any more analog channels in my area, they are all going to be digital.

So what does that mean for those of us just getting expanded basic? I just plug the cable line into my RCA HDTV with built in HD tuner. Hadn't heard they were going to all digital this soon. I am in Windsor - I assume the same would be true for me as well? Hoping for better SD picture (although most channels are not bad...)
post #139 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheneyp View Post

So what does that mean for those of us just getting expanded basic? I just plug the cable line into my RCA HDTV with built in HD tuner. Hadn't heard they were going to all digital this soon. I am in Windsor - I assume the same would be true for me as well? Hoping for better SD picture (although most channels are not bad...)

I am no expert but analog, digital and HD are three different things...
post #140 of 3285
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheneyp View Post

So what does that mean for those of us just getting expanded basic? I just plug the cable line into my RCA HDTV with built in HD tuner. Hadn't heard they were going to all digital this soon. I am in Windsor - I assume the same would be true for me as well? Hoping for better SD picture (although most channels are not bad...)

They are simulcasting a digital version of all the analogs, not switching everything to digital. Once ADS is completed it just means that those with analog TVs and no STB will continue to recieve the analog signal and those with digital TVs or digital STBs will now see a clearer digital picture. It's a baby-step toward turning off the analog signal which will probably be followed by a few analog (expanded basic) channels moved to digital packages to make room for more HD and other digital programming.

You'd have to do a scan for new digital channels to get the digital channels in addition to the analogs on your TV. With the STBs it'd be automatic.

At last count, my area still only has about 13-15 channels being simulcasted in digital so to hear that an area is going to be all digital within the next week or so is quite a surprise.
post #141 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2HD4Now View Post

They are simulcasting a digital version of all the analogs, not switching everything to digital. Once ADS is completed it just means that those with analog TVs and no STB will continue to recieve the analog signal and those with digital TVs or digital STBs will now see a clearer digital picture. It's a baby-step toward turning off the analog signal which will probably be followed by a few analog (expanded basic) channels moved to digital packages to make room for more HD and other digital programming.

You'd have to do a scan for new digital channels to get the digital channels in addition to the analogs on your TV. With the STBs it'd be automatic.

At last count, my area still only has about 13-15 channels being simulcasted in digital so to hear that an area is going to be all digital within the next week or so is quite a surprise.

I can only tell you what both installers said yesterday. ONe is coming back today so I will verify again.,
post #142 of 3285
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnylen View Post

I can only tell you what both installers said yesterday. ONe is coming back today so I will verify again.,

I don't doubt what the installer told you and would be a good kind of surprised if an area gets full ADS. What town are you in? Hartford County is a big area and has at least 3 or 4 Comcast systems in it.
post #143 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2HD4Now View Post

I don't doubt what the installer told you and would be a good kind of surprised if an area gets full ADS. What town are you in? Hartford County is a big area and has at least 3 or 4 Comcast systems in it.

Marlborough (between Glastonbury and Norwich and between Hebron and East Hampton)
post #144 of 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2HD4Now View Post

At last count, my area still only has about 13-15 channels being simulcasted in digital so to hear that an area is going to be all digital within the next week or so is quite a surprise.

What digital simulcasts are you getting now? I know that there are a number of channels in the 83(?) subchannel area that seem to just be the same as other cable channels. Is there a way to tell whether they are digital or analog?
post #145 of 3285
Below 100 is analgo, above digital simulcast
post #146 of 3285
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheneyp View Post

What digital simulcasts are you getting now? I know that there are a number of channels in the 83(?) subchannel area that seem to just be the same as other cable channels. Is there a way to tell whether they are digital or analog?

If you're picking them up as subchannels on your TV or QAM tuner then they're digital.

To see which ones are being digitally simulcasted on your STB, the ones that are digital will have a Dolby "D" on the info bar when you flip to the channel. To check what channels are digital I just channel surf starting at 2.
post #147 of 3285
Does comcast have any non-HD channels that output Dolby Digital? That's the only thing I miss from D* is all the movie channels (well most if I remember correctly) were DD.
post #148 of 3285
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robd1438 View Post

Does comcast have any non-HD channels that output Dolby Digital? That's the only thing I miss from D* is all the movie channels (well most if I remember correctly) were DD.

I could be wrong, but since the digital channels use the Dolby "D" to mark the channels that are digital wouldn't that also indicate Dolby Digital sound?
post #149 of 3285
I surfed the digital channels and found the following:

Simulcast

80-2 WTXX
80-3 Univision
80-4 WVIT
80-5 UPN
80-6 WFSB
80-8 PAX
80-9 Telemundo
80-11 WTIC
80-12 WTNH

Others

93-10 On Demand Previews
94-6 Fuse
Various subchannels (100s, 111s, 113s) get Music Choice - not reliably
On Demand 85, 87 subchannels

We'll see what happens when we get more (all?) digital.
post #150 of 3285
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheneyp View Post

I surfed the digital channels and found the following:

Simulcast

80-2 WTXX
80-3 Univision
80-4 WVIT
80-5 UPN
80-6 WFSB
80-8 PAX
80-9 Telemundo
80-11 WTIC
80-12 WTNH

Others

93-10 On Demand Previews
94-6 Fuse
Various subchannels (100s, 111s, 113s) get Music Choice - not reliably
On Demand 85, 87 subchannels

We'll see what happens when we get more (all?) digital.

Where in CT are you? That looks like a shorter list than what I currently have. That must just be the unencrypted Digitals that you're seeing on your QAM tuner. If you look with your STB (if you have one) you'll see Disney is digital as well as maybe one or two more.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Hartford, CT - Comcast