or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Hartford, CT - Comcast
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hartford, CT - Comcast - Page 3

post #61 of 3287
Thread Starter 
I don't want to get anyone's hopes up (Celtics fans that is -- least of all, mine), but it looks like we might actually get the Celtics/Knicks in HD tonight on 207 (INHD2) tonight (11/2). I saw the listing in the Guide last night and there isn't anything on INHD's website about carrying an NBA HD game tonight and those are usually carried on INHD(1) anyway. So fingers crossed, maybe we'll be seeing FSN NE HD games this season.

More info below (added 6:00PM 11/2/05):

Ok, here's more proof (from the local channel lineup on comcast.com)

207 INHD2/NESN-HD/FSNE-HD/NFL Network HD

In case nobody else has noticed, INDHD2 (207) has the NFL Game of the Week (Wed. and Thurs. at 9PM) and Six Days to Sunday on it's NFL Network HD scheduled times.

Thanks for the info, as always, COMCAST!!!!
post #62 of 3287
Thread Starter 
Somewhat disappointing that Comcast techs couldn't figure out how to get FSN NE HD to show up last night. I called Comcast CT a couple of times and was assured that the Celtics game was supposed to be on in HD on 207, but tech support couldn't figure out why it wasn't actually showing up.

Better luck next time, I guess.
post #63 of 3287
Comcast analog customer here in Middletown. Can anyone tell me if the analog channels are on DS now? I'm close to getting a digital package.
post #64 of 3287
I know that broadband reports has some threads on the analog to DS transition for Comcast. It appears that Moto headends are going first. So SA customers go last. I wish it would move along. Anyone with the digital sports tier can compare the difference by watching Speed in digital and then Speed in analog. One look will have you on the phone to Comcast screaming for the transition to go faster.
post #65 of 3287
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsooner View Post

It appears that Moto headends are going first. So SA customers go last. I wish it would move along...

This seems to be the way Comcast treats the CT SA head-end areas. They refuse to move up to the clearly better SA HD DVR box. They keep saying the SA will switch to Moto so everything gets updated / upgraded around the same time (add HD, move chn to DS, etc...).

I would be happy if they would just announce one thing and have it really happen. (Crossing fingers for ESPN2HD) But instead we get alot of mixed answers / promises of changes that never happen.

Sorry for the rant.... it's frustrating to be in a SA head-end in Comcast CT. (My only consilation is that I'm not sure if the Moto HD DVR box 6412 is any better than the SA boxes)
post #66 of 3287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2HD4Now View Post

Somewhat disappointing that Comcast techs couldn't figure out how to get FSN NE HD to show up last night. I called Comcast CT a couple of times and was assured that the Celtics game was supposed to be on in HD on 207, but tech support couldn't figure out why it wasn't actually showing up.

Better luck next time, I guess.

You expect people at Comcast to know how to do their job?

14 HSN still listed as a Local Access Channel
15 NECN still listed as a Local Access Channel
24 AMC still listed as a Local Access Channel
64 still listed as local access and shows color bars 24/7 (great waste of bandwith on an analog channel)
72 See 64
95 TV Guide Channel still listed as a Local Access Channel

if they cannot figure out the above, I don't expect them to be able to tie their shoes.
post #67 of 3287
First time I reported the above issue, I was sent a pdf file on how to use my DVR.

This time, I got this reply...

Thank you for taking the time to write us.

Our engineers are aware of the issue and are working with our Guide vendor to correct the problems. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you. If you need further assistance with any of your Comcast services please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you. Thank you again for choosing Comcast we appreciate your business.

For immediate resolution of your issues, we offer our customers the ability to Secure Chat with a Live representative:

Isn't all this suposedly done at the headend? How does it onvolve TV Guide Interactive when Comcast has the wrong channel in the guide listings? Or am I missing something?
post #68 of 3287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplchamp1 View Post

First time I reported the above issue, I was sent a pdf file on how to use my DVR.

This time, I got this reply...

Thank you for taking the time to write us.

Our engineers are aware of the issue and are working with our Guide vendor to correct the problems. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you. If you need further assistance with any of your Comcast services please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you. Thank you again for choosing Comcast we appreciate your business.

For immediate resolution of your issues, we offer our customers the ability to Secure Chat with a Live representative:

Isn't all this suposedly done at the headend? How does it onvolve TV Guide Interactive when Comcast has the wrong channel in the guide listings? Or am I missing something?

At least they didn't send you a PDF on how to tie your shoes

I got more info about FSNE-HD and why we won't be seeing Celtics games in HD this season even though it's listed in the guide and listed as a channel we should get on 207. Apparently there are a couple of areas in CT that don't have a contract for FSN NE at all (they have FSN NY instead) so they can't show everyone in CT the Celtics game and don't have the ability to show different content on 207 to different areas of CT. That might come in the future, but nothing definite could be said at the moment.

This is disappointing to find out but hopefully we'll be seeing some new HD channels after ADS is completed.
post #69 of 3287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2HD4Now View Post

I got more info about FSNE-HD and why we won't be seeing Celtics games in HD this season even though it's listed in the guide and listed as a channel we should get on 207. Apparently there are a couple of areas in CT that don't have a contract for FSN NE at all (they have FSN NY instead) so they can't show everyone in CT the Celtics game and don't have the ability to show different content on 207 to different areas of CT. That might come in the future, but nothing definite could be said at the moment.

This is disappointing to find out but hopefully we'll be seeing some new HD channels after ADS is completed.

Here in Madison, we get neither FSN NE or FSNY.
post #70 of 3287
We've got FSN NE on the Plainville analog system
post #71 of 3287
This might stir this thread up a bit, and stir up the phone lines for CT Comcast, but.....
Yesterday I went to get another HD STB (getting another HDTV) and went back this morning and entered the building with my SA 8000 HD PVR and left with a brand new SA 8300!!!! I guess they like JUST got them and are being told to still give customers the 8000's to get rid of them, but the new one is sitting in my car waiting to be set up after work. I'll post some first impressions once I get it set up.
post #72 of 3287
Quote:
Originally Posted by robd1438 View Post

This might stir this thread up a bit, and stir up the phone lines for CT Comcast, but.....
Yesterday I went to get another HD STB (getting another HDTV) and went back this morning and entered the building with my SA 8000 HD PVR and left with a brand new SA 8300!!!! I guess they like JUST got them and are being told to still give customers the 8000's to get rid of them, but the new one is sitting in my car waiting to be set up after work. I'll post some first impressions once I get it set up.

Excellent... next question what Comcast System are you on?
post #73 of 3287
oh my bad, i wanted to post that in the original. I'm on the middletown system.
post #74 of 3287
I have a question for everyone here, I just picked up a new TV for my family room (see sig) and STB. Everything works fine, but for some reason Fox HD and CBS HD don't show up, the screen just turns gray. Those channels work fine on my other TV. I'm not sure if its a setup issue with the box or a problem with Comcast. I don't see how it can be the TV, everything else works great. Thanks!
post #75 of 3287
What I am wondering is if the SA3250HD box is in "pass-through" mode then the HD channels can be set to the TV in there original resolution/format: 720p or 1080i. IIRC those two channels are both 720p and the other major HD channels are 1080i. So you are seeing the 1080i signal channels just fine (and SD 480i of course) but the 720p ones don't display.

Does that Sony model display both HD resolutions? I know my Dad's older (4-5 years old) 36" Sony XBR can only do 1080i, not 720p.

This is the only way it "can be your TV" and the fix would be to setup the SA box to not put out that resolution. (A very easy fix) Search the HD Recorder forum for a thread on the SA3250HD box setup, the first post on the big thread will have great instructions and links for the setup PDF instructions (Wizard onscreen and front of box setups, I prefer the onscreen wizard ADVANCED mode not basic wizard).

BTW Yes the SA3250HD does have a Pass-Through mode (something I miss with the SA8000HD) I had this box for a while.

Because you are using the comcast box your TV is a acting like a monitor. WIth SD TV it doesn't care what channel because it's all fead the same (external tuner 480i - set displays it fine). But the HD channels can be different resolutions and then it does matter how you TV handles it.

The only other explaination is that your SA3250HD box is flacky or your cable RF feed has a problem with those two channels.

I would put money on the first case (HD box setup to pass 720p and the TV can't display it).

Good luck.
post #76 of 3287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker1024 View Post

What I am wondering is if the SA3250HD box is in "pass-through" mode then the HD channels can be set to the TV in there original resolution/format: 720p or 1080i. IIRC those two channels are both 720p and the other major HD channels are 1080i.

I was thinking that at first also, but I'm pretty sure CBS is 1080i. At least their College and NFL football is 1080i according to HDSportsGuide.com.
post #77 of 3287
I went into the setup and removed 720p as a resolution and kept the rest. I do have it setup to passthrough currently. I'll double check to make sure its still removed when I get home. I believe the TV can only display 1080i. Thanks for the help, worse comes to worse i'll call comcast.
post #78 of 3287
Does anyone know if Comcast has any plans to add UPN9 (WCTX) to our HD lineup now that they are finally broadcasting in HD?

Once WCTX gets in there, we'll have all our "major" locals in HD.
post #79 of 3287
Has anyone noticed that Comcast on demand no longer offers ANY movies in wide screen? There used to be a fairly large selection, which I would typically watch in Zoom mode to fill the screen, but now there are none at all!
post #80 of 3287
Thread Starter 
Looks like Comcast has removed all references from the channel lineups on Comcast.com to having NFL Network HD and FSNHD shared on 207 (INHD2). We still get the NFL games of the week, but they're never listed in the guide. All listings for Celtics games on 207 have also been removed from the Guide. At least there's less confusion that can be caused now.

On another note...

TVGuide.com shows TNT-HD on 204 for the New Haven/West Haven area, can anyone on that system confirm that it's up and running? Zap2it.com hasn't updated their channel listing yet so I'm just wondering who's correct.
post #81 of 3287
Comcast doesn't even seem to know what channels are on their own system. Last week there was a message on my TiVo announcing that a couple of channels had been removed including NECN channel 15. Comcast now lists channel 15 as "Local Programming" but in reality it's still NECN. And their on-screen program listings are often wrong. Is the data they use for their DVR more accurate or is it the same as the on-screen info?
post #82 of 3287
Thread Starter 
The guide data is supposedly provided by the broadcaster, not Comcast. The episode information is almost always wrong on DiscoveryHD, but haven't really noticed many problems with other channels other than INHD/2 occasionally.

I hardly ever watch anything that isn't HD on my HDTV (the only one in my house with a box) so I haven't noticed the NECN problem (pplchamp has mentioned it a few times since the new lineup came out). I know 14 & 15 are color bars on my analog TV and NECN is on another a higher channel number on that TV, but I don't remember what number exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbone View Post

Comcast doesn't even seem to know what channels are on their own system. Last week there was a message on my TiVo announcing that a couple of channels had been removed including NECN channel 15. Comcast now lists channel 15 as "Local Programming" but in reality it's still NECN. And their on-screen program listings are often wrong. Is the data they use for their DVR more accurate or is it the same as the on-screen info?
post #83 of 3287
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbone View Post

Comcast doesn't even seem to know what channels are on their own system. Last week there was a message on my TiVo announcing that a couple of channels had been removed including NECN channel 15. Comcast now lists channel 15 as "Local Programming" but in reality it's still NECN. And their on-screen program listings are often wrong. Is the data they use for their DVR more accurate or is it the same as the on-screen info?

I got this response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comcast-NE View Post

Thank you for taking the time to write us.

Our engineers are aware of the issue and are working with our Guide vendor to correct the problems. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you. If you need further assistance with any of your Comcast services please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you. Thank you again for choosing Comcast we appreciate your business.

For immediate resolution of your issues, we offer our customers the ability to Secure Chat with a Live representative:
post #84 of 3287
I haven't had a chance to call Comcast yet because I had to go to work, but my SA8000HD would not tune past channel 99 this morning. I was able to type in 202, and get ESPN HD briefly, but the the audio was all but cut out. I had time to unplug the box for a minute and plug it back in but this did not resolve the problem.

Is this a problem with just my box, or is this indicative of a network problem on Comcast's side? I will just call the rude tech support when i get home.

I had to reboot the box 2 weeks ago when the picture was just black and white.

What has been your experience in Connecticut with getting a new box? How many problems and how many calls to the support at Comcast will I need to make?
post #85 of 3287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudeolife View Post

... What has been your experience in Connecticut with getting a new box? How many problems and how many calls to the support at Comcast will I need to make?

Dudeolife - I have had no problems at all with exchanging an Comcast box (SA in my area) at the local Comcast location. Just told them it was having an issue and they swapped it out on the spot.

If you want/need it swapped out when your local office is closed you might luck out and get a service tech to come out that has an extra one in their truck. They usually don't give an issue over this but those guys tend to mess around with taking measuremtents/reading, etc.... even on a box swap.
post #86 of 3287
The problem with not getting channels over 100 was actually outside my house on a pole. Comcast responded within 3 hours of my wife calling.

My SA8000 is still having problems. I had to reboot it 2x due to losing color, and twice we have had no audio off of a DVR recording. I called Comcast last night and they are sending a tech out to swap out the box. No hassles...

So, I have had 2 good customer service experiences in a row.
post #87 of 3287
Did anyone besides me have problems with ABC last night? There was no sound at all for Lost or Invasion, and the Moto 6412 recording was all messed up - no fast forward, etc. The other HD channels were fine.
post #88 of 3287
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmccullough View Post

Did anyone besides me have problems with ABC last night? There was no sound at all for Lost or Invasion, and the Moto 6412 recording was all messed up - no fast forward, etc. The other HD channels were fine.

Thank God someone had the same problem as me. Out of pure coincidence, I swapped in a new receiver yesterday and spent quite a while trying to diagnose the problem until I realized it was just ABC. Lost is just about the only show I watch anymore... Still no sound today, either.
post #89 of 3287
I just called Comcast and the rep said they had no reported problems. Where are you located?
post #90 of 3287
Bloomfield. And FWIW, I'm not using a Comcast box at all, but picking up the HD channels over QAM with the tuner in my set. So it shouldn't have anything to do with the Motorola.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Hartford, CT - Comcast