So our contractor didn't finish until they day my my son was born (and about 2 to 2.5 months after we expected) but once he was out of there it was my turn to get busy. Luckily I had a lot of family around to help with the baby. We were expecting the carpet to come any day so I had to get the risers.
The first thing I did was pull all the wires in place. Fortunately, I had measured and marked well (writing everything on the concrete floor and on paper) so I was able to find each piece of 1" conduit with a 1" hole in the drywall.
Most of the wires pulled through with no problem, but one was tight and had to be pulled hard.
Up next was the construction of two risers. At 22" high for the back one I decided to put the joists up on a post and beam construction. I was a little concerned this would not be to solid so I added extra cross bracing in and used construction adhesive. It turned out to be VERY solid. I also put a thick layer of caulk on the bottom of every piece of wood which touched the floor to add isolation.
Next I started putting the plywood down. I ran out of construction adhesive and it was snowing so I sacrificed 2 tubes of green glue to put between the joists and 1st layer of plywood. The second layer is separated with 30# roofing felt. All of this was held down with lots of 3" screws. With the carpet date having been scheduled and rapidly approaching I was working really hard to get everything done. I really need to learn to stop when my brain starts to get foggy. Anyway, as you may have seen I was cutting the plywood on top of my tablesaw and didn't pay attention to where the saw table was...
It is really amazing how well a circular saw will cut cast iron. After that I decided that when I was groggy I would paint in hopes of finishing the painting before the carpet came in. As you will see I didn't quite finish painting. 1 coat of primer and 1 coat of paint just weren't enough.
For step lighting I used low voltage lights purchased from lowes, well actually I bought them at HD first for $19.95 each then found them at lowes for $14.95 each. Needless to say they went back to HD. I was worried they would get too hot, but after being on all day I could still touch the bulb and the housing was cold.
As this is my first theater and it went from dream to reality rather quickly I didn't have an extensive amount of time to prepare so some things were done with out proper planning or science. one of those was trying to make the riser a bass trap. Rather than calculating proper sizes, etc I just guessed. I figure hopefully it is better than nothing. I ended up with a 2" gap in the back on the top and a 4" gap in the front of the second riser.
I actually managed to get everything done (after postponing the carpet guys only week.) The carpet guys were not happy with how hard it was to install with all the steps, etc. I took them most of the day, but they did a good job and it really looks nice. I chose to skip the dri-core, but did use synthetic jute pad.
Next I started to bring some chairs in. Yes I know I should wait until I am done painting, but I am impatient.
Finally, I started putting film on the carpet so I can finish painting and I am bringing speakers down so I can get a baseline before I start working on the acoustic treatment.