or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Owners Tweaks & Settings Sony KDSR-50/60XBR1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Owners Tweaks & Settings Sony KDSR-50/60XBR1 - Page 51

post #1501 of 1646
I was one of the Sony cheerleaders when these set first came out. I kind of stopped following this thread a long time ago. Well, you can now count me as another ticked off customer. OB will be replaced on Monday and we will see how that goes.

I did ask Sony about doing a full replacement instead of these OB stuff but they told me that almost all replacements have fixed the problem.

We will see!
post #1502 of 1646
Folks,

How bad is this yellow tinge getting before you feel prompted to call Sony to have your OB replaced?

I have noticed only on a Full White Screen that I have a slight yellow tinge in the upper right hand corner and possible a bit on the lower left corner. However, the PQ is F'in Awesome. The only time I notice it slightly is if I happen to be watching a Movie or something that does a Black to White Fade.

Should I leave well enough alone or is the Yellow Tinge likely to get worse over time? or is this as bad as it would ever get?

I certainly want to avoid making it worse.

GILWAVE,

Have you called SOny to have a Tech come back out and fix your color issue? I would certainly think that's a separate issue, perhaps the tech got something crossed, I dunno.. For them to figure out.. the point is.. Your colors should not be that way by design..

Oh, and despite your current issue.. Did your yellow blobs issue go away?

=Brian.
post #1503 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post

Folks,

How bad is this yellow tinge getting before you feel prompted to call Sony to have your OB replaced?

I have noticed only on a Full White Screen that I have a slight yellow tinge in the upper right hand corner and possible a bit on the lower left corner. However, the PQ is F'in Awesome. The only time I notice it slightly is if I happen to be watching a Movie or something that does a Black to White Fade.

Should I leave well enough alone or is the Yellow Tinge likely to get worse over time? or is this as bad as it would ever get?

I certainly want to avoid making it worse.

=Brian.

It will probably continue to get worse. Nothing you can do to make it better or worse. I would call Sony now or you can wait until it gets worse and becomes unbearable. What would you do if you start to hear a rattle from your car's engine?
post #1504 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post

Should I leave well enough alone or is the Yellow Tinge likely to get worse over time? or is this as bad as it would ever get?

Mine got worse over time, then became so obvious that even my kids started complaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post

GILWAVE,

Have you called Sony to have a Tech come back out and fix your color issue? I would certainly think that's a separate issue, perhaps the tech got something crossed, I dunno.. For them to figure out.. the point is.. Your colors should not be that way by design..

Oh, and despite your current issue.. Did your yellow blobs issue go away?

I called Sony - what a nightmare. The service rep asked me if I had bought an extended warranty from my dealer. I said yes, but that didn't matter becauuse this was an OB installation issue. He then told me, and kept telling me despite my protestations to the contrary, that I had to call me dealer and use the Extended Warranty to fix the problem.

When he said that a fourth time, I said "Stop saying that. You are either not listening to me, or you are willfuly ignoring what I am saying. Sony extended their warranty to SXRD 50" and 60" customers until October 2008, and I want it repaired under that new warrranty. There is a class action lawasuit against Sony that brought about this new 10/08 OB warranty. Please do not tell me one more time that I have to eneact my extennded warranty from the dealer."

And then he did just that. So I asked for a supervisor, and he told me that the supervisor would tell me the same thing. So I said "Fine - then since this new 10/08 warranty came about from a class action suit, how about you put me on with your legal department, perhaps I'll add my name to the suit."

He said he would transfer me to customer relations. I hung up.

I called back the installer of the OB replacement, QualEx, and told them what Sony said. They told me that they warranteed their own work for 90 days, and would come out and fix it under their own warranty. I am waiting for an appointment.

And yes, after the install the yellow blobs went away! ;-)

-gil
post #1505 of 1646
Gil,

Would you say despite the obvious hassle anyone persuing this is bound to encounter.. That it's worth the risk of having potentially other issues like your case with the mismatched colors?

Are the majority of other Owners who are getting this Work covered under this warranty satisfied with the outcome?

My Yellow Blob is always present in the uper right quadrant and practically fades almost completely if not perhaps the slightest bit faint in about 30 mins of operation.

Thanks!~
Brian;
post #1506 of 1646
The set before the OB replacement was unwatchable. Had the tech installed the OB correctly, I'd be back to the gorgeous picture I had when i bought the set and it would all have been worth it.

That being said, I bought my girlfriend a new Pioneer Elite 1080p Plasma, and it was not much more than I paid for my Sony, and it kicks *ss in terms of the PQ, and the cabinet is gorgeous (unlike my Dumbo-eared SXRD).

The new (June '07) Samsung LCDs look fantastic too, especially in the larger sizes - for the money, they are hard to beat.

When I bought the SXRD in October 2005, it was the bees knees, and the hands down price-performance winner. What a difference a year and a half makes!

-gil
post #1507 of 1646
Gil,

I don't know if what I'm seeing on mine is the same as yours or if it's possibly the angle of where I'm sitting.. I noticed there were strange anomalies when looking at my own PC LCD Monitor from slight angles on a totally white screen.

I took a pic of my TV. I opened a browser up went Full screen with it so you can see just a slight bit of the toolbar at the top. (Media PC connected to my TV at 1920x1080

Let me know your thoughts on this image for what it's worth.

You'll notice it's brighter in the center which I believe is normal..

post #1508 of 1646
Hard to say using the PC as an image.

How is it on faces on HDTV via HDMI? Skin tones normal?

How do the blacks/blues/greens/reds look on HDTV programming with "real" backgrounds - NFL, MLB, Golf, nature programming, etc.?

Have you had your set calibrated by an ISF technician?

-g
post #1509 of 1646
I had been under the impression that there was almost no difference between component cables and HDMI for PQ and detail.

That was until I changed how I hook up my DirecTV HR10-250 HD Tivo.

I was running component out on the tivo to my receiver, then comp out on the receiver to comp in on my Sony. The picture was very, very good (I am using a 8 meter Monster Cable component cable).

One day I was bored, so I hooked up a Monoprice 35 foot 22 guage HDMI cable to the Tivo directly to the Sony SXBR, and WOW! The picture was brighter, sharper, and more colorfull. The difference was night and day.

Because of how my cables are run thru the wall and cieling, I cannot hook up the component cable directly from the Tivo to the TV.

My AV Receiver was a Denon 3803. By using the Denon as a video switcher, could this have degraded the picture that much?



Recently, I obtained an Outlaw 990 preamp and a Outlaw 7700 amp. These have DVI inputs and outputs. So, I bought a 6 foot HDMI to DVI cable for my Tivo and Sony upconverting 400 DVD jukebox. I hooked them up to the 990 and plugged in a DVI to HDMI converter to the DVI out, and plugged in my 35 foot HDMI cable. All was working fine for about a week. Now for some reason the video signal wont go out. I suspect it may be the DVI to HDMI converter from Monoprice.
post #1510 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1966 View Post

I had been under the impression that there was almost no difference between component cables and HDMI for PQ and detail.

That was until I changed how I hook up my DirecTV HR10-250 HD Tivo.

I was running component out on the tivo to my receiver, then comp out on the receiver to comp in on my Sony. The picture was very, very good (I am using a 8 meter Monster Cable component cable).

One day I was bored, so I hooked up a Monoprice 35 foot 22 guage HDMI cable to the Tivo directly to the Sony SXBR, and WOW! The picture was brighter, sharper, and more colorfull. The difference was night and day.

Unless you spent time properly calibrating each input, the difference in picture could result from the quality of calibration between the HDMI and component inputs.
post #1511 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

Unless you spent time properly calibrating each input, the difference in picture could result from the quality of calibration between the HDMI and component inputs.

Each input has the same settings; ie iris, contrast, etc.... Or are there other settings I can access?
post #1512 of 1646
I spoke with Sony Authorized Warranty Service Center QualEx today, and they toldme that Sony determined that they sent the wrong optical block for my SXRD 50.

A new one has been ordered, but is on back order (of course!), should be in "some time next week".

Hopefully that will solve the problem. Of course, in the interim my TV viewing experience is a little surreal. Without lysergic acid diethylamide I can't filter these colors back to normal!

-g
post #1513 of 1646
I know exactly what you mean, GilWave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

I haven't read this thread for a while, but I just found this and thought it might be ok to post even if it's a repeat:

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-i...mdl=KDSR60XBR1

Thanks for posting the link. I just called Sony and confirmed that they will pay for parts and labor. The repair folks are scheduled to come next Friday (fittingly the 13th!) for the diagnosis visit. The also have the ref number from my call to Sony, so everything should be lined up.

When I first started seeing problems, the blob was just slightly yellow, covering about 10% of the screen in the shape of the state of Florida. That was back in January. Now, it covers almost the entire screen, though there are a few "streaks" where the colors are still true. I'd been waiting until after some surgery to get this fixed, since I didn't get an extended warranty, so finding out about the recall (Sony's word for it), was a very welcome bit of news.
post #1514 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1966 View Post

Each input has the same settings; ie iris, contrast, etc.... Or are there other settings I can access?

I doubt that the same settings for HDMI and component are optimal (never has been on mine). You need to use Avia, DVE, or something comparable to "get each one correct". Then you can make a valid comparison.

Adjust the normal "user settings". Brightness, contrast/picture, color, hue, sharpness. Then I would make the "advanced settings" the same and make my comparisons.
post #1515 of 1646
I belive in fair and balanced reporting, so I have to give props to Sony's authorized warranty repair center QualExServe.

They have been super-efficient, courteous, organized, and professional with excellent follow-up. I wish I ran my company as well as they run theirs!!

When I heard that my new OB was on "backorder", my heart sunk, 'cause the wait could have been interminable. But no - they called me Wednesday, the part is in and they offered to come out this Saturday (!) to install it.

I'm going away this weekend, so we scheduled for Tuesday. I am very pleased with their responsiveness, the likes of which I find exceedingly rare these days.

So credit given where credit due - Thank You QualExServe!!! You may have a strange name, but your customer service is most impressive, and much apppreciated.

I will leave another (hopefully final) update on this saga after the OB replacement on Tuesday. Man, do I miss my near-perfect SXRD picture!! I've been sitting on my new HDMI 160GB Apple TV, waiting to fire it up. On cable, Entourage and Big Love and Live from Abbey Road just haven't been the same, and I'm dying to check out all the new HD channels Cablevision launched last week - plus, 300 is coming out on DVD at the end of the month!! Home theatre party at my house!!

-gil
post #1516 of 1646
Gil,

If This Saturday meant last Saturday.. How did your install go? Hopefully complete success so much that your just too busy reacquainting yourself to your TV's gorgeous picture that you haven't had time to give us an update.



Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave View Post

I belive in fair and balanced reporting, so I have to give props to Sony's authorized warranty repair center QualExServe.

They have been super-efficient, courteous, organized, and professional with excellent follow-up. I wish I ran my company as well as they run theirs!!

When I heard that my new OB was on "backorder", my heart sunk, 'cause the wait could have been interminable. But no - they called me Wednesday, the part is in and they offered to come out this Saturday (!) to install it.

I'm going away this weekend, so we scheduled for Tuesday. I am very pleased with their responsiveness, the likes of which I find exceedingly rare these days.

So credit given where credit due - Thank You QualExServe!!! You may have a strange name, but your customer service is most impressive, and much apppreciated.

I will leave another (hopefully final) update on this saga after the OB replacement on Tuesday. Man, do I miss my near-perfect SXRD picture!! I've been sitting on my new HDMI 160GB Apple TV, waiting to fire it up. On cable, Entourage and Big Love and Live from Abbey Road just haven't been the same, and I'm dying to check out all the new HD channels Cablevision launched last week - plus, 300 is coming out on DVD at the end of the month!! Home theatre party at my house!!

-gil
post #1517 of 1646
I wish I was enjoying the picture... check this out -

So the tech comes over Tuesday - same guy as installed the last OB - and he's got the new one. He takes apart my SXRD, pulls the previously installed OB out and says "Sure enough, its the wrong model. You need a 550, and this here is a 540. Someone mistakenly put a 540 in a 550 box." (or some nomenclature to that effect - don't hold me to the Sony part numbers)

Okay - sh*t happens, I say. So he expertly installs the new 550 OB, and puts the SXRD back together. This time, before he leaves of course we're going to check out the PQ together. Power up the TV and... same problem

Now he's flumoxed. He goes around to the back of the SXRD and reads the serial number off the plate. "Oh no..." he says.

'What?', I say.

"Someone inverted the last two digits of the serial number - it says 01 on the work order, but the serial number ends in 10. I shoulda checked it when I did the last install. Someone screwed up."

I'm thinking - great. It could have been me, or the operator who took the number over the phone, or the one who punched the work order into the computer, or someone at Sony who electronically set up the OB replacement authorization, etc.

But he says "it's my fault, I'll take the blame - I really should have double-checked last time.'

Stop the presses!!! Someone ACTUALLY TOOK RESPONSIBILITY for an error!! No passing the buck, no pointing fingers.

So while yes, sadly I still do not have a functioning SXRD (he has to get a replacement OB now to match the real serial number), I've got a reason for the issue and I've got someone who is on top of it.

He is supposed to come back today or tomorrow with the right OB. Stay tuned...

-g
post #1518 of 1646
Wow Gil.. Seems like you've got a run of bad luck there but glad to hear it sounds like your well on your way to getting things back on track.

I decided to pursue a service call on my set for the same issue, although it's not as bad right now, the consensus says that it's only going to get worse so I went to the Sony Website repair page and was directed to the same folks you have Gil.

Qualxserv In-Home Service. I have already been contacted by a technician and given them my Serial Number. They told me the part would be put on order and once it arrives a Tech will be scheduled to come out and work on my TV.

Here's hoping they get the right part and all goes as planned!.



Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave View Post

I wish I was enjoying the picture... check this out -

So the tech comes over Tuesday - same guy as installed the last OB - and he's got the new one. He takes apart my SXRD, pulls the previously installed OB out and says "Sure enough, its the wrong model. You need a 550, and this here is a 540. Someone mistakenly put a 540 in a 550 box." (or some nomenclature to that effect - don't hold me to the Sony part numbers)

Okay - sh*t happens, I say. So he expertly installs the new 550 OB, and puts the SXRD back together. This time, before he leaves of course we're going to check out the PQ together. Power up the TV and... same problem

Now he's flumoxed. He goes around to the back of the SXRD and reads the serial number off the plate. "Oh no..." he says.

'What?', I say.

"Someone inverted the last two digits of the serial number - it says 01 on the work order, but the serial number ends in 10. I shoulda checked it when I did the last install. Someone screwed up."

I'm thinking - great. It could have been me, or the operator who took the number over the phone, or the one who punched the work order into the computer, or someone at Sony who electronically set up the OB replacement authorization, etc.

But he says "it's my fault, I'll take the blame - I really should have double-checked last time.'

Stop the presses!!! Someone ACTUALLY TOOK RESPONSIBILITY for an error!! No passing the buck, no pointing fingers.

So while yes, sadly I still do not have a functioning SXRD (he has to get a replacement OB now to match the real serial number), I've got a reason for the issue and I've got someone who is on top of it.

He is supposed to come back today or tomorrow with the right OB. Stay tuned...

-g
post #1519 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post

Here's hoping they get the right part and all goes as planned!.

As long as they wrote down the serial number correctly, and put the right part in the right box, you should be fine. Have the tech confirm that the part number on the physical OB matches the part number on the box, and have him confirm that the serial number on the TV matches the serial number on the work order. Can't hurt to be thorough

Also, while he has the back off of the SXRD, take a vacuum cleaner and suck or blow the dust out of the vents - you'd be amazed how much gets in there. There are 3 separate fans inside the SXRD cabinet, 'cause that bulb and projector run HOT.

You want to ensure that you have as much free-flowing ventilation as possible.

Good luck with the swap-out, let us know how it all works out.

-gil
post #1520 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave View Post

Also, while he has the back off of the SXRD, take a vacuum cleaner and suck or blow the dust out of the vents - you'd be amazed how much gets in there. There are 3 separate fans inside the SXRD cabinet, 'cause that bulb and projector run HOT.

You want to ensure that you have as much free-flowing ventilation as possible.

Good luck with the swap-out, let us know how it all works out.

-gil

I'm not so sure about blowing the dust in or out of the set. It is very possible that doing so will spread some dust around to the main mirror and the screen. The last tech that replaced the OB in my old XBR1 actually took the internal baffles, fan shroud and some of the sub-chassis outside and dusted them out there before reinstalling them in the set, then vacuumed a little inside. That is probably the safest way to clean it.
post #1521 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

I'm not so sure about blowing the dust in or out of the set.

I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear.

When the tech removes the back plastic cover from the set, which has the vents in it that cover the internal appartus, you should take that cover outside and vacuum the dust out of the vents, so when it is reaatached the vents are clean.

-gil
post #1522 of 1646
It's been a long time since I've been back to this thread, and I'm disappointed to see so many people having the same problem I'm now having.

I have a Sears warranty and just completed my initial service visit. The tech said that I should expect the OB to fault about every two years. What a ripoff.
post #1523 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsArcade View Post

The tech said that I should expect the OB to fault about every two years. What a ripoff.

How would he know that? I don't recall anyone having a replacement OB be good for approximately 2 years, then fail. AFAIK, replacement OB's have either been bad to start with or have been fine thereafter.
post #1524 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

How would he know that? I don't recall anyone having a replacement OB be good for approximately 2 years, then fail. AFAIK, replacement OB's have either been bad to start with or have been fine thereafter.

Totally agree!
post #1525 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

How would he know that? I don't recall anyone having a replacement OB be good for approximately 2 years, then fail. AFAIK, replacement OB's have either been bad to start with or have been fine thereafter.

Well, here's hoping I get I get the better of those two possibilities. I can't keep taking days off from work for stuff like this.

He also said that the OB I'll be getting will be a refurbished unit, but he didn't specify if this was only true for Sears-handled XBR1 repairs. Of course, I'm taking everything he said with a grain of salt now.

I wish I was diligent about this sooner: I'm wondering now if I should've just let Sony handle it via their extended OB warranty and, if problems persisted, try to finagle an XBR2 replacement.
post #1526 of 1646
So today QualX came back with the proper OB for my set and serial number.

Technician (same guy all three times - really nice, helpful, knowledgeable, and calls when he says he will, shows up when he says he will) took apart and replaced the OB for the third time (he says he does 10 of these replacements a week, so he's got it down now).

We powered it up, everything is working, so far so good.

He did tell me that each time I power up the SXRD, it will go through a self-test and correction procedure (which explains why the boot up time is not instantaneous) and will tweak the PQ as the OB burns-in.

I re-entered the last ISF settings I had, PQ look great. Will have it calibrated again in two weeks or so.

So Kudos to QualX Serve for their professionality and responsiveness!

I will keep a keen eye pealed for any return of "the green blob" and/or "yellow stain"

-gil
post #1527 of 1646
Thread Starter 
I was told by PC Richards that a new company is making the OB for Sony now and that the older OB's were defective because after so many hours the epoxy that holds the lens in place loosens and the lens shift causing issues. He told me that the new OB's are opticaly better than the older ones and my PQ should be better than new out of box. He also had the same set and had his replaced too. He seemed to know what he was doing.
post #1528 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeGuy View Post

I was told by PC Richards that a new company is making the OB for Sony now and that the older OB's were defective because after so many hours the epoxy that holds the lens in place loosens and the lens shift causing issues.

Now THAT's interesting... I wonder if it's true. When I went to clean the dust off the platform base and asked the installer if we had to be careful (due to a previous post regarding getting dust into the mirror annd lens), he replied "no, they're a sealed system".

Dang, if I'd heard about this sooner I couuld have asked him and examined the OB to see who made it.

I'm just so happy to have my picture back I don't care about the rest of it at this point!

-gil
post #1529 of 1646
I suffered through the blob for about 5 months. It started over about 10% of the screen, in the shape of the state of Florida. As time went by, it changed shape and grew larger, at times almost looking like a tye-dye (sic?) effect, at others almost a splatter. It now covers about 95% of the screen. THe changing shape always gave me the impression of something oozing, almost as if a yellow-green liquid had gotten inside and was slowly spreading.

My replacement OB is here and scheduled to be installed on Monday. The techician actually had it with him today and called to see if he could do it today, but I'm in a training class all this week.

I have my fingers crossed.
post #1530 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave View Post

So today QualX came back with the proper OB for my set and serial number.

Technician (same guy all three times - really nice, helpful, knowledgeable, and calls when he says he will, shows up when he says he will) took apart and replaced the OB for the third time (he says he does 10 of these replacements a week, so he's got it down now).

We powered it up, everything is working, so far so good.

He did tell me that each time I power up the SXRD, it will go through a self-test and correction procedure (which explains why the boot up time is not instantaneous) and will tweak the PQ as the OB burns-in.

I re-entered the last ISF settings I had, PQ look great. Will have it calibrated again in two weeks or so.

So Kudos to QualX Serve for their professionality and responsiveness!

I will keep a keen eye pealed for any return of "the green blob" and/or "yellow stain"

-gil

What ISF settings do you have? I was under the impression that the optical blocks are all different and as such the picture settings will be drastically different across the board from display to display...but if yours still looked good, maybe the optical blocks are now standardized?

Could you post them? Thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Owners Tweaks & Settings Sony KDSR-50/60XBR1