First time WatchHDTV "trier outer". 1.83. Downloaded and installed it tonight in my rig: A64 2800+, 512MB, A180 HDTV card, Radeon 9800Pro card, WinXP. I've also got the AverTV software (Aver codecs), PowerDVD (Cyberlink codecs) and DScaler 5 on there.
Since I always feel guilty when I launch into "here are my problems", some kudos: this software actually brings in Fox without stuttering, something no other software I've tried has managed. Channels flip very quickly, and just watching LiveTV, no lockups. AND I get Dolby Digital 5.1 on LiveTV, something that I simply wasn't able to do with the other software I've tried - whoop!
Now, here are my issues - again, I'm excited about this app because I've been banging my head against the wall on the AverTV 6.0 and GB-PVR software with that A180 card... I'll put some polite suggestions at the end for the software as well...
1) Some channels have the wrong aspect ratio - usually it says 1280x1080 (it's definitely source 16:9 on these channels).
2) LiveTV works superlatively. But I can't timeshift or record - each time I try, I instantly get "A Windows error occured - push this button to send a report to Microsoft, blah blah blah". I did notice the ".sbe" files are getting created in the directories I configured to save my HD files in...
3) I'm trying to "force" the app to use either the DScaler 5 video decoder or the PowerDVD video decoder. So I created the decoders.txt file. Unfortunately, whenever that file simply EXISTS, the app instantly locks up when I start it. I've tried putting the path\\filename to the Decoder in it, and just the filename (eg: C:\\blah\\blah\\blah\\clvsd.ax or just clsvd.ax) to no effect. Yes, I am putting the audio decoder in underneath it, not just the video decoder.
4) While I was setting up the channels, one of them needed a "1" for the subchannel instead of the default "-1" and when I hit "Tune", I'd get another one of those "Hit button to send error report to Microsoft" dialogs before getting booted out. No biggie - except I had just laboriously tuned 5 other channels and had to do it all over again.
5) Signal Strength doesn't work, but I noted in the documentation you mention the A180 card may have issues with that, so it doesn't bug me too much - as I said, ALL my channels are coming in great.
So that's basically it for me so far - haven't played with the scheduler yet because I can't get simply timeshifting or recording to work yet. I'm a GraphEdit newbie so I'm not sure how I might go about creating a custom graph to get it to use that or any of that other stuff
1) Is there any way you can pop up a dialog on demand to show what DirectShow filters are being used? For some reason, when in GraphEdit I hit "Connect to a running graph in another application", it doesn't "see" WatchHDTV.
2) Is there any way to force the app to switch to a different aspect ratio on a given channel? For example, some of the shows broadcast are in 4:3 (so there's letterboxing on the sides) - being able to "zoom" to 4:3 is nice. Also cool would be the ability to save that setting (Most of the Fox shows are in 4:3).
Again, I'm psyched about this app if I can get the recording and timeshifting to work...