or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Verizon FiOS HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Verizon FiOS HDTV - Page 453

post #13561 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmatt View Post

That rollout schedule is already hosed.

VHO's 7/8 were supposed to get it yesterday (10/13) - but we did not.

Was told that Verizon is "taking a pause"...

Maybe 1.9 by 12/31/11?
post #13562 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Maybe 1.9 by 12/31/11?

Hate to say it, so I won't. As I said earlier, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get 1.9 until summer or later.

FIOS' main problem is that the big-wigs over there shouldn't go on record with a big PR stating that we'll have all these great new features by "xx/xx date" when we all know that's not gonna happen.
post #13563 of 17987
Dave-
LOL - pretty much spot on.

Rumor now is that there are some major defects causing problems in 1.8 with VOD failures. (Which would make sense, since on DSL Reports there are a # of posts from people having problems ordering and getting it to work).

AND - it kind of lends sense to the Twitter reps statement the other day about "taking a pause" and also asking everyone on 1.8 to "order as many things as possible".
post #13564 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmatt View Post

Dave-
LOL - pretty much spot on.

Rumor now is that there are some major defects causing problems in 1.8 with VOD failures. (Which would make sense, since on DSL Reports there are a # of posts from people having problems ordering and getting it to work

Still on 1.7.1 here in Boston area, but VOD is out. Cannot get past menu and no programming is listed. When I try to go into sub menu, getting a quick code error.
post #13565 of 17987
So, the FCC just added a few new cablecard rules. Of particular interest is, if you allow self installs of equipment of any kind, you HAVE to allow self installs of cable cards and you must allow them to be ordered like any other piece of equipment.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/14/t...-dramatically/

They also can't use packages to hid the cost of leased equipment. So, if there is a package that includes STB rental in its flat rate, they must break out both the equipment lease and cable card fee as line items on the bill. If the customer chooses to use their own equipment, the cost of the package will be reduced by the STB lease fee.

For example. If Verizon offered an HD package for $79.95 that included an HD-DVR, it would have to be broken down something like this:

$65 - TV Service
$11 - HD-DVR
$3.95 - Cable Card.

If a customer choses to bring a TiVo into the equation, Verizon would only be allowed to charge $68.95 for the package (Original price minus the STB rental fee.) Right now, most MSOs would say "Hey, you are getting the DVR for free. If you want to add a TiVo, that would be an additional $3.95 for the cable card."

In the end, I don't think these rules will do much for adoption of 3rd party devices, but they do make life a little easier for those who have already chosen to go that path.
post #13566 of 17987
Does FiOS even have any packages that include an STB?
post #13567 of 17987
Not that I am aware of. If they do, it would only be for a new customer. Comcast does have some packages like that now trying to entice new customers to sign up.
post #13568 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Does FiOS even have any packages that include an STB?

I know they have had some promotions in the past. When I signed up, I got my DVR for free for the first 6 months or a year or something like that. I don't know if promotions like that count though in the rules though.

I do know that Comcast and Time Warner have package deals like that. I know of people who have the rental STB sitting in a closet because if they returned it their price would go up. Under the new rules, they could return it and the price would go down.

Really though, this could be good for FIOS subscribers anyways. If competitors to FIOS can't hide the cost of STB rental in their monthly rates anymore, the actual cost of the channels becomes clear. It's easier to make apples to apples comparisons on channel package price which could potentially help competition. So, if comcast offers a $79.95 package that includes a $14.95 /month DVR and FIOS has a $79.95 package that doesn't include the DVR, it becomes easy to see that the Comcast channel package is $15 cheaper than FIOS since they would have to break down the individual charges.

Separating out the cablecard charge could have some interesting ripples as well. Take two MSOs who charge $14.95 for a dvr but one charges $3.95 for the cable card and one doesn't charge at all for the cablecard. After these rules go into effect, the MSO that doesn't charge for the cablecard actually has a more expensive DVR than the one who doesn't (even if the final price is the same due to the cost of the cablecard on the other provider.) It could have some interesting effects on the market in the long run.

Basically, clearly separating equipment charges from service charges could make everything more transparent and easier to compare.
post #13569 of 17987
I've been living with my FiOS for about 2 months now and I'm not impressed.

I'm getting quite a bit of freezing picture or "slow motion" picture, especially during sports programming which is my bread and butter. I almost never experienced these types of picture quality issues with DirecTV unless it was storming really bad outside.

I also never get near the advertised 25/25 internet speeds. I usually get about 15/12 on speedtest.net.

Could there be a problem with my install? Could it be that I live in an apartment?

I don't remember having near this many issues at my brothers house a few miles down the road.
post #13570 of 17987
I got a Tivo message the other week saying that 789 was added to my lineup. Ever since then, every time I went to check out the channel, my Tivo goes to the Cablecard setup page. I have to exit to the menu and go to another channel on the guide to get out of it. Does anyone actually receive this channel yet?
post #13571 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll0037 View Post

I've been living with my FiOS for about 2 months now and I'm not impressed.

I'm getting quite a bit of freezing picture or "slow motion" picture, especially during sports programming which is my bread and butter. I almost never experienced these types of picture quality issues with DirecTV unless it was storming really bad outside.

I also never get near the advertised 25/25 internet speeds. I usually get about 15/12 on speedtest.net.

Could there be a problem with my install? Could it be that I live in an apartment?

I don't remember having near this many issues at my brothers house a few miles down the road.


Something's messed up with your install on the tv side, you need to call them.
post #13572 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus79 View Post

I got a Tivo message the other week saying that 789 was added to my lineup. Ever since then, every time I went to check out the channel, my Tivo goes to the Cablecard setup page. I have to exit to the menu and go to another channel on the guide to get out of it. Does anyone actually receive this channel yet?

Your cable cards need to be paired to receive HubHD. And it is also restricted so the content can't be transferred out of the box, like a TiVo. This is the first channel like this in non-Frontier areas.

Most cable card installs on FiOS are not paired to the boxes. And when not paired they can be moved between any cable card devices and they will decode the channels. I have five Cable cards(multi stream, previously I had eight single stream) on FiOS and have moved them between a bunch of cable card devices over the last three years with FiOS.

I'm just not going to deal with this channel since I don't want to get my cards paired unless absolutely necessary or there is a channel I really want to watch. But right now, the HubHD is the only channel affected by this.
post #13573 of 17987
Wow, that's a pretty lame tactic if you ask me. I hope they don't continue the trend when they start adding other channels.
post #13574 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus79 View Post

Wow, that's a pretty lame tactic if you ask me. I hope they don't continue the trend when they start adding other channels.

It's not up to them, it's up to the provider of the channel.

More and more content providers are requiring more stringent controls on their channels.
post #13575 of 17987
The hubHD is the first Verizon channel I have seen with copy protection turned on. That stinks.
post #13576 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator22 View Post

I kinow a tech here in Buffalo and he was telling me that that have started field testing the Cisco boxes. He told me thay have been told that it wont be easy for existing customers to swap out there old boxes for the new ones. They are going to bush the eSata option for corrent customers.



Just got one of the Moto QIP7232-P2 boxes today. He said it was 500gb, but the model # would seem to indicate that it is 320gb. FWIW 1 hour of NBC HD occupies 1% of the DVR space. Anyone know how to confirm the space?
post #13577 of 17987
Look through the vents on the top of the unit and you should be able to read the printed size on the drive.
post #13578 of 17987
I guess no further word on a new guide rollout schedule?
post #13579 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post

I guess no further word on a new guide rollout schedule?

Must be still having problems with 1.8.
post #13580 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

Must be still having problems with 1.8.

I would guess. Here in MA, we are scheduled to get 1.8 on 10/26. I am not holding my breath...
post #13581 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakes View Post

I would guess. Here in MA, we are scheduled to get 1.8 on 10/26. I am not holding my breath...

Jeepmatt already confirmed that schedule is no longer valid.
post #13582 of 17987
And there you have it.
post #13583 of 17987
No schedule, but last I heard was 1.8 to all by November 24th. Subject to change.

I could be wrong but we won't see 1.9 till 01/12/11 the earliest.
post #13584 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjrenna View Post

No schedule, but last I heard was 1.8 to all by November 24th. Subject to change.

I could be wrong but we won't see 1.9 till 01/12/11 the earliest.

Is there a reference to a description of 1.8 and 1.9? Searching on 3 digits is pretty impossible.

Ray
post #13585 of 17987
What is the current Verizon price for a cable card? $3.50? $4? I assume a truck has to roll to install as well (no self install)?
post #13586 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by raylock View Post

Is there a reference to a description of 1.8 and 1.9? Searching on 3 digits is pretty impossible.

Ray

Take a look here...

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon...TV/ba-p/240255

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon...es/ba-p/234356

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r245...MG-Version-1.8

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r246...G-TV-on-the-Go
post #13587 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerboybac View Post

Just got one of the Moto QIP7232-P2 boxes today. He said it was 500gb, but the model # would seem to indicate that it is 320gb. FWIW 1 hour of NBC HD occupies 1% of the DVR space. Anyone know how to confirm the space?

Drummer-
The 7232-P2's do in fact have a 500GB hard drive. Originally they had 320's - but Moto took them back and added bigger ones. From what I know they did this so that the drive size would be the same for these, and the Cisco versions that will be coming out in the future.

Congrats on getting one of these!

Also-
I was told that the 1.8 rollout may begin again next week - if it does, simply add on 2 weeks to all the dates that were previously listed. I'm not holding my breath though.
post #13588 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycruiser View Post

What is the current Verizon price for a cable card? $3.50? $4? I assume a truck has to roll to install as well (no self install)?

Right now, they are doing a truck roll. Due to recent FCC rule changes, Verizon will have to provide a self install option within 9 months.
post #13589 of 17987
post #13590 of 17987
I'm finishing off my basement and called Verizon to schedule a truck roll so they can run a line downstairs. After that was done the CSR asked if there was anything else I needed so I said, yeah, I'd like to swap my present DVR for one of the new models with the 500gb harddrive. She said she'd have to check on that and after a very short time on hold said I could get one but it'll cost me $15.99 a month versus the $12.99 that I'm currently paying for a 6416 and the current deal is the first 3 months are free which more than covers the net increase for the year. I'll let you know what it's like.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Verizon FiOS HDTV