or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Verizon FiOS HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Verizon FiOS HDTV - Page 559

post #16741 of 17988
Are their any HD receivers that VZ has provided their customers that are not capable of mpeg 4?
post #16742 of 17988
6 series do not have mpeg4 capability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgNJ View Post

Are their any HD receivers that VZ has provided their customers that are not capable of mpeg 4?
post #16743 of 17988
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjrenna View Post

6 series do not have mpeg4 capability.

And the sad thing is that they CONTINUE to pawn the 6xxx series DVRs on unsuspecting new customers, which is a pretty slimy thing to do
post #16744 of 17988
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post

And the sad thing is that they CONTINUE to pawn the 6xxx series DVRs on unsuspecting new customers, which is a pretty slimy thing to do

Which seems to indicate that they are not interested in going mpeg4 or they would stop distributing the older moto boxes.
post #16745 of 17988
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgNJ View Post

Which seems to indicate that they are not interested in going mpeg4 or they would stop distributing the older moto boxes.

If Verizon were a logical company, that would surely be the case. But in reality they're going full-steam MPEG4 (word is that all of the .tv channels will move over shortly).

For them, there is a profit motive to require people to pay $40 to upgrade their box to get the channels they want. Again, pretty slimy.
post #16746 of 17988
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post

If Verizon were a logical company, that would surely be the case. But in reality they're going full-steam MPEG4 (word is that all of the .tv channels will move over shortly).

For them, there is a profit motive to require people to pay $40 to upgrade their box to get the channels they want. Again, pretty slimy.

While I don't agree with the $40 fee, it barely covers the cost of shipping the box and the labor involved in processing it. The mpeg4 channels so far seem to be channels on higher tiers with few customers so fewer end users are impacted. Now if say your local stations and Popular stations like ESPN and Fox News were converted to mpeg4 that would be super slimy.
post #16747 of 17988
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post

And the sad thing is that they CONTINUE to pawn the 6xxx series DVRs on unsuspecting new customers, which is a pretty slimy thing to do

It makes sense to keep sending the boxes out. The majority of people will not need a box since they do not receive those channels. And for the ones that do, they will be able to exchange the box for an H.264 capable box if their package includes channels that use H.264. There is nothing slimy about it. Why should they stop using the boxes if it receives the channels that people want.
post #16748 of 17988
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Why should they stop using the boxes if it receives the channels that people want.

Because it only delays us having the channels delivered to FiOS as MPEG4 in MPEG4 and having more channel space.
post #16749 of 17988
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post

While I don't agree with the $40 fee, it barely covers the cost of shipping the box and the labor involved in processing it. The mpeg4 channels so far seem to be channels on higher tiers with few customers so fewer end users are impacted. Now if say your local stations and Popular stations like ESPN and Fox News were converted to mpeg4 that would be super slimy.

There is no charge to upgrade to a 7-series box if you subscribe to an MPEG4 channel.
post #16750 of 17988
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnnDunn View Post


There is no charge to upgrade to a 7-series box if you subscribe to an MPEG4 channel.

that's good, so there is nothing wrong with deploying 6000 series boxes to new customers as scott calls slimy.
post #16751 of 17988
Question: can the radio on the wireless router go bad?

All of a sudden, my MI424WR wifi slows to a crawl. I used to get 18mpbs consistently on my iPad's speedtest.net app. Now I get anywhere from <1mbps to 5. Powered it on and off several times and tried changing the channels. iPad wifi icon fluctuates between 1 and 2 bars. And that is if I stay in the same room as the router.

Wired connection is just fine. Speedtest gives me 30mbps.
post #16752 of 17988
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post

that's good, so there is nothing wrong with deploying 6000 series boxes to new customers as scott calls slimy.

Which was my point that it isn't slimy. Anyone who needs a box to view H.264 channels that are part of their package can upgrade without issue. Your average person doesn't know about any of the encoding schemes. They only know that they can or cannot receive a channel. And that they will need a different box to receive that channel.
post #16753 of 17988
I have a message in my message center telling me that "on May 9, your (IMG) will be undergoing routine maintenance prior to 6 am. Your set-top box will automatically reset to accommodate the new on-screen guide..." What's that mean? "Routine maintenance"? "new on-screen guide"?
post #16754 of 17988
Thats the new 1.9.1 thats replacing 1.9.

Supposed to fix glitches etc.

They said the release notes with whats exactly in it should be out in maybe a week.
post #16755 of 17988
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post

I have a message in my message center telling me that "on May 9, your (IMG) will be undergoing routine maintenance prior to 6 am. Your set-top box will automatically reset to accommodate the new on-screen guide..." What's that mean? "Routine maintenance"? "new on-screen guide"?

I know Verizon is running afoul of some start-up company over VOD navigation patents but does the on-screen guide come under this suit? Why would they specifically say new on-screen guide?

I guess we'll find out Wednesday. And if there are major changes I'll post pics.
post #16756 of 17988
As DCcowboy stated - this is the 1.9.1 IMG update.

Majority of it is to fix audio/video issues, but there will be some slight color changes, as well as a few other goodies.
post #16757 of 17988
Will it fix the stuttering I get during playback of DVR items? This only started on my box since 1.9 rolled out. The show is going along fine and then i get a random 5 second hiccup and then it's fine.
post #16758 of 17988
^^^ That happens while I'm watching live TV and it was occuring even before 1.9. I assume it's an issue with the STB but who knows.
post #16759 of 17988
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

Will it fix the stuttering I get during playback of DVR items? This only started on my box since 1.9 rolled out. The show is going along fine and then i get a random 5 second hiccup and then it's fine.

Yes it is supposed to fix the stuttering issue.

Other reported feature updates:
- ability to change banner duration
- ability to change clock LCD brightness
post #16760 of 17988
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmatt View Post

As DCcowboy stated - this is the 1.9.1 IMG update.

Majority of it is to fix audio/video issues, but there will be some slight color changes, as well as a few other goodies.

I wouldn't call the color changes "slight" jeep. I'm not one to overreact to these things, but from the pictures I've seen so far, 1.9.1 is a jarring step back visually. Don't like it at all.
post #16761 of 17988
My SD STB in my bedroom rebooted this morning but I didn't go into the Guide. I remember people here complaining when 1.9 was rolled out that the Guide was too light. Now, over on DSL Reports they're complaining that it's too dark. I had no issues with the color whatsoever previously but I'll see what it looks like on my HDTV when I get home today. Apparently the streaming audio issues with Pandora and the Media Manager still exist. I use my Blu-ray player's Pandora app anyway with no issues. I'm in VHO 1 BTW.
post #16762 of 17988
I said if there were major changes I'd post a pic.

I like the darker guide. Goth guide. :-)

The widgets screen still has the bright blue screen, but IIRC that was the first screen to go with the light colors. First to get last to lose?
LL
post #16763 of 17988
I have not seen it on my tv yet but I like the look from that picture. Especially at night in a dark room that carolina blue color could be rough on the eyes.
post #16764 of 17988
How do I remove channels from FiOS so when I press channel up/down, I don't see the channel (and it doesn't show up in the guide)? I'm tired of seeing all these channels I don't subscribe to or channels I will never watch (SD channels, HBO, Starz, .tv channels, etc etc).

If this doesn't work, what else can I do besides make a favorites list when I am searching through the guide? Or is the only thing I can do is make a favorites list of the 30 channels I am actually interested out of the 300+?
post #16765 of 17988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdawg View Post

I said if there were major changes I'd post a pic.

I like the darker guide. Goth guide. :-)

The widgets screen still has the bright blue screen, but IIRC that was the first screen to go with the light colors. First to get last to lose?

Is that a tube tv? I thought they were extinct.
post #16766 of 17988
On ch717 vh1 HD at 10am ET today and Wednesday we got the music video show Jump Start at 10am ET and Big Morning Buzz Live vh1's live talk show is not on.
I switched to the SD feed on ch217 and Big Morning Buzz Live is on.
Did someone incorrectly switch 717 to the west coast feed of vh1 on VHO7?

I tried to get it fixed via chat and they said,
Omer(11:07:34): I have checked with our network team
Omer(11:07:59): And these changes have been made by VH1 the content provider and not Verizon
Omer(11:08:19): Regret the inconvenience
Omer(11:10:44): I understand, please do not worry we have escalated this issue to the content provider and it should be taken care
Omer(11:10:49): The changes will happen very soon

Why would vh1 switch the east coast feed to the west coast feed?

Problem has been fixed as of 2:30pm.
post #16767 of 17988
Quote:
Originally Posted by phie View Post

How do I remove channels from FiOS so when I press channel up/down, I don't see the channel (and it doesn't show up in the guide)? I'm tired of seeing all these channels I don't subscribe to or channels I will never watch (SD channels, HBO, Starz, .tv channels, etc etc).

If this doesn't work, what else can I do besides make a favorites list when I am searching through the guide? Or is the only thing I can do is make a favorites list of the 30 channels I am actually interested out of the 300+?

Make a favorites list with only those channels you're interested in and set it as the default. Pretty much the first thing I did. You kind of answered your own question there.
post #16768 of 17988
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Make a favorites list with only those channels you're interested in and set it as the default. Pretty much the first thing I did. You kind of answered your own question there.

So I have to go to guide>favorites each time? I can't simply delete the channel? That's one extra layer for someone used to pressing channel up, channel down...
post #16769 of 17988
Quote:
Originally Posted by phie View Post

So I have to go to guide>favorites each time? I can't simply delete the channel? That's one extra layer for someone used to pressing channel up, channel down...

No you don't. I don't have the menus in front of me but here is what you need to do:

1- Add you desired channels to Favorite 1. You can do this via the menu or via the Options while viewing a channel.
2- From the menus, set the Channel up/down to flip within your favorites. All other channels will be skipped.
3- Make Favorite 1 your default guide. All other channels will be hidden.
post #16770 of 17988
A post from another site listed this.
Dont take it as all fact yet but at least it gives a good idea of what 1.9.1 fixed/adds:

1.9.1 Build 14.47 Bug Fixes
1. The buffer would be lost on the 7232 and you could not use trick play such as rewind or fast forward on Live TV after idle period
2. 7232 reboots and resets
3. Video jigger, jitter, or strobe effect (I’m not sure this is 100% fixed but it is close)
4. New color change to address: Consistency, Contrast, Brightness, and overall readability
5. Cast is shown at the first Info button press (Plan is to possible remove second button press for Full Info and just have it on the first button press)
6. Corrected different channel than the one punched in when using modes such as Subscribed
7. Search would sometimes show some other program in the final screen
8. Interactive Icon would freeze DVR and stop it from recording
9. Fixed pillar bars / loss of video on SD TV
10. Time line issue going back to zero when viewing a recording
11. Time line bar time stuck at end when viewing a recording
12. When viewing a recording. Skip and FF cause the recording to advance to the end and the options screen is presented. Caused by inserted commercials
13. 7232 & 7100 will become unresponsive to any key presses then eventually execute all the "stored up" key presses.
14. eSATA video playback anomalies such as pixilation and freezing that does not occur on the original live feed
15. Pause locks up when a scheduled program starts to record on the other tuner
16. When you press the Favorites button on the 2500-3, the current channel highlighted in the guide is not the one you are tuned to
17. DVR playback freezes (where trick plays don’t work unless you pause, and once you pause you’re stuck until soft off / on)
18. Progress indicator returns to zero on inserted commercials during recordings
19. Paused VOD + UI launch results in stuck scaled video


1.9.1 Build 14.47 New Features:
1. “Air Date” added to View Schedule
2. DVR xx% Full Internal - DVR xx% Full External added to non DVR (7100)
3. Added “Cast” in recordings program detail
4. “Cast” wraps on non-recorded programs eliminating “…”
5. Added “Live” in the guide
6. New color change to address: Consistency, Contrast, Brightness, and overall readability
7. Icons uniform across screens/menus
8. Info Bar user selectable duration for channel changing and when Info is pressed
9. Series recordings and eSATA recordings on web will be available once 1.9.1 is fully deployed
10. Last button for DVR : Last button toggles between a live channel and a recording and so on
11. Active notification for activity that would affect TV viewing and DVR recordings
12. Two simultaneous HD MRDVR streams from 7xxx DVRs
13. Clock Channel Display LED Brightness : High / Normal / Low
14. Ability to delete all Recent Deletes as well as the prior, individually
15. 7100 STB - Select a program to record and it will only show the DVR that can record without conflict.
If there is a conflict then the program will set the timer on the 7100
16. Auto Power Off will turn the box off after a user selectable time: Never, 2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours
17. Updated Parental Control features


Unconfirmed:
1. Skip to end / Dump to DVR menu during trick playback while in an inserted commercial
2. DCT700 channel change performance (skips)
3. DVR - Select a program to record and it will only record on the DVR that can record without conflict.
If there is a conflict then the program will set the timer on the DVR
4. DVR - Export Series Recordings list to a Verizon Server. This will allows importing of my Series Recordings list to a replacement DVR.
5. From (0100010 on the Vz forum) Parental Controls - Advanced : there are now options for VOD and DVR sharing. After playing with them - it prevents parentally blocked content from appearing in either the VOD My Library or the (MR)DVR lists - very cool. If I order an R rated VOD movie in my bedroom, it no longer appears under My Library in my sons room, since his set top has parental controls blocking that rating (in 1.9 it would be in the list, but he couldn't watch it since he needed the PIN, now in 1.9.1 it doesn't even show in the list.)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Verizon FiOS HDTV