or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Verizon FiOS HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Verizon FiOS HDTV - Page 589

post #17641 of 17987
FSC should become Fox Sports 2 soon.
post #17642 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post

FSC should become Fox Sports 2 soon.
Nope. FSC is becoming FXX. Fuel TV is FS2.
post #17643 of 17987
lol! I meant to say FX2.
post #17644 of 17987
Does anyone use FiOS Digital Voice with their FiOS TV service? Is it just me or is the quality of this service leaving much to be desired? I find that when I try to get to the Call Log or get my Voice Messages thru the FiOS STB (I have a Cisco DVR box), it seems to actually work less than half the time. Mostly, the requests end with a message telling me there's a network error. But then sometimes, it gets thru to the network and decides that it can't contact the server and then about a third of the time it works and I can get the Call Logs and Voice Messages thru my TV.

I also have found that the website method of getting Voice Messages also no longer works thru my Mac OS although I can get the Call Log. It seems to have broken when Mac OS moved to their latest version of Java. Before that, at least I could get the Voice Messages; now, they will not play via the web browser.
post #17645 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post

Does anyone use FiOS Digital Voice with their FiOS TV service? Is it just me or is the quality of this service leaving much to be desired? I find that when I try to get to the Call Log or get my Voice Messages thru the FiOS STB (I have a Cisco DVR box), it seems to actually work less than half the time. Mostly, the requests end with a message telling me there's a network error. But then sometimes, it gets thru to the network and decides that it can't contact the server and then about a third of the time it works and I can get the Call Logs and Voice Messages thru my TV.

I also have found that the website method of getting Voice Messages also no longer works thru my Mac OS although I can get the Call Log. It seems to have broken when Mac OS moved to their latest version of Java. Before that, at least I could get the Voice Messages; now, they will not play via the web browser.
Yup, ~50% access through my STB/DVR sounds about right here (NYC), too. Don't use web access at Verizon.com that often but haven't had problems there yet. When several retries at Digital Voice on the TV screen don't work (there's sometimes a message about Widgets? as well as 'no network access'), I often dial in on my phone to hear voice messages or just incoming numbers. (*86, # and code number). I've put incoming calls on 'don't disturb' (everything goes to 'leave message' because of--despite a 'don't call' FTC sign-up--telemarketing harassment. Have a Motorola STB/DVR. Recently had to clear out an old 2011 'stuck' voice message by going to the Verizon.com site.. -- John
post #17646 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post

Does anyone use FiOS Digital Voice with their FiOS TV service? Is it just me or is the quality of this service leaving much to be desired? I find that when I try to get to the Call Log or get my Voice Messages thru the FiOS STB (I have a Cisco DVR box), it seems to actually work less than half the time. Mostly, the requests end with a message telling me there's a network error. But then sometimes, it gets thru to the network and decides that it can't contact the server and then about a third of the time it works and I can get the Call Logs and Voice Messages thru my TV.

I also have found that the website method of getting Voice Messages also no longer works thru my Mac OS although I can get the Call Log. It seems to have broken when Mac OS moved to their latest version of Java. Before that, at least I could get the Voice Messages; now, they will not play via the web browser.
I have had similar experiences trying to get voice messages through the FiOS TV STB, although I have a Motorola 7232, not a Cisco box. I'd say it works for me about 50% of the time. I haven't tried it lately.

I have had much better experiences getting voice messages via the Verizon Web site, so I've switched to that most of the time. But I have Windows, not Mac. Google Chrome works best for this. Maybe you should try Chrome for Mac, if you're not already. I find it very difficult to get the messages to play in the Firefox browser because it constantly needs yet another stupid Java applet update. I wish Verizon wouldn't require this idiotic Java garbage and just make the messages play in HTML5 or something more accessible like that. I suppose Chrome must automatically have all Java built in, with updates occurring invisibly.
post #17647 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post

Does anyone use FiOS Digital Voice with their FiOS TV service? Is it just me or is the quality of this service leaving much to be desired? I find that when I try to get to the Call Log or get my Voice Messages thru the FiOS STB (I have a Cisco DVR box), it seems to actually work less than half the time. Mostly, the requests end with a message telling me there's a network error. But then sometimes, it gets thru to the network and decides that it can't contact the server and then about a third of the time it works and I can get the Call Logs and Voice Messages thru my TV.

I also have found that the website method of getting Voice Messages also no longer works thru my Mac OS although I can get the Call Log. It seems to have broken when Mac OS moved to their latest version of Java. Before that, at least I could get the Voice Messages; now, they will not play via the web browser.
I have had similar experiences trying to get voice messages through the FiOS TV STB, although I have a Motorola 7232, not a Cisco box. I'd say it works for me about 50% of the time. I haven't tried it lately.

I have had much better experiences getting voice messages via the Verizon Web site, so I've switched to that most of the time. But I have Windows, not Mac. Google Chrome works best for this. Maybe you should try Chrome for Mac, if you're not already. I find it very difficult to get the messages to play in the Firefox browser because it constantly needs yet another stupid Java applet update. I wish Verizon wouldn't require this idiotic Java garbage and just make the messages play in HTML5 or something more accessible like that. I suppose Chrome must automatically have all Java built in, with updates occurring invisibly.

Thanks for the suggestion on trying out Google Chrome. But there is an issue there with the Mac as well... it seems that Google Chrome for Mac is a 32-bit application and the latest Mac OS for Java only runs at 64-bit. Thus, Chrome can't use it and also doesn't play the messages. I too will be glad when/if VZ updates things to work natively with HTML5 which I know works in Apple's Safari.
post #17648 of 17987
Seems that ESPN and sometimes YES Network freezes or skips a few seconds in the hd feeds.. Hopefully fios fixes this issue on my dvr. Also fios needs to add the hd feed of fox sports 2 in addition to an hd feed of esquire (replacing g4 later this month). For premium movies on tv channels, they have come months after the bluray release, making it easier and faster to dvr new releases. I don't care if it's cropped or not, I enjoy the movies. Is Life of Pi in 3d on demand HBO?
post #17649 of 17987

Been with TW for ages and now trying out FIOS;;;but so far not good. Yes, in preliminary tests, FIOS PQ is better than TW(less compression/macro-blocking artifacts it seems). I tested the TW though my MOXI HD T3 DVR and the FIOs through the STB the installer left for me. But:

 

 

1.  FIOS has a voice/data/TV package that they won't un-bundle the voice part of it as I don't have and don't need a landline. I'd be paying those ridiculous phone taxes that seem to not go away at all, yet I don't have or use a landline. With TW, I have data/TV package with no voice and its worked great so far.

 

 

2.   With the FIOS package I signed up for(Extreme HD in SoCal, zip 90278 Redondo Beach), I don't have the Hallmark  HD movie channel(yes... go ahead and laugh)...YET it exists for all other packages, including the lower tiered ones and also in the Ultimate HD package...Just not in Extreme HD.

 

If I go to the lower tiered packages, I get the HD Hallmark movie channels but i lose other channels which I like(Fox Business HD). With TWC, I got all of them, no problem.

 

I will have to return the FIOS box and keep TW. At least with TW, the package I have includes all of the channels for the lowered tiered packages, plus extra ones unique to my current package.

 

The 50m/20m data speed offer form FIOS sure looks nice, but i'll keep my TW 20m/2m as its fast enough for HD video downloads and the 2m is fast enough for avs forum mouse clicks :).

post #17650 of 17987
Grouping like channels together isnt that big a deal to me but if they keep FXX on 584 that just seems really dumb.
post #17651 of 17987
When will fios add fs2 in hd?
post #17652 of 17987
Rumor has it FiOS will be adding several new HD channels this fall as part of the transition to MPEG4 that's been underway all year. But it's unknown what or how many new channels this will bring, or exactly when they would come. And given how slow the process has been (only half of the channels expected to be moved to MPEG4 have made the transition and it's now September), there's always the possibility of delays.

Fox Sports 2 and CBS Sports Network would be at the top of my personal list.
post #17653 of 17987
Same here. Once g4 becomes esquire I can watch hd reruns of lost...lol.
post #17654 of 17987
Seems fios search has issues during peak hours on dvr...I hate that.
post #17655 of 17987
Does FIOS TV censor content? Was watch a DVR of Suits on FIOS of an episode I just saw live on Cablevision. Four letter words starting with F and S were blanked out on FIOS. I am very surprised. Does FIOS do this routinely? Can I stop it?
post #17656 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgershon View Post

Does FIOS TV censor content? Was watch a DVR of Suits on FIOS of an episode I just saw live on Cablevision. Four letter words starting with F and S were blanked out on FIOS. I am very surprised. Does FIOS do this routinely? Can I stop it?
no they don't censor content. They pass thru whatever USA sends them, did you think fios or cablevision or any other company has a person sitting there listening for S and F words then hitting the dump button like it was a live radio show? Programming contracts don't allow that anyway. F and S words aren't aired on USA, just something the USA censors took out of the show Suits that the writers put in. S and F are heard late nights on Comedy Central and a-hole is heard on TNT.
post #17657 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgershon View Post

Does FIOS TV censor content? Was watch a DVR of Suits on FIOS of an episode I just saw live on Cablevision. Four letter words starting with F and S were blanked out on FIOS. I am very surprised. Does FIOS do this routinely? Can I stop it?
There are different versions of programming for broadcasters. One might be with TV-G, TV-PG, or TV-14, the other would be with TV-MA.

USA and other family orientated type broadcasters will show the TV-G, TV-PG, TV-14 on the live channel, but may reserve the TV-MA for OnDemand. Adult orientated broadcasters like Comedy Central, SpikeTV, etc. would show only TV-MA any time. Even late at night, USA will not show TV-MA. They can also use software or hardware based profanity filter, like SafeTV, TVGuardian, Clearplay.
post #17658 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

They can also use software or hardware based profanity filter, like SafeTV, TVGuardian, Clearplay.

I will check my Cablevision DVR next Friday. I am virtually curtain that, recorded at the same time on theoretical same network, NYC FIOS broadcast / retransmission dubbed out those words while Cablevision Long Island broadcast / retransmission did not. Maybe FIOS uses such a filter? Not publicized if true.
post #17659 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

There are different versions of programming for broadcasters. One might be with TV-G, TV-PG, or TV-14, the other would be with TV-MA.

USA and other family orientated type broadcasters will show the TV-G, TV-PG, TV-14 on the live channel, but may reserve the TV-MA for OnDemand. Adult orientated broadcasters like Comedy Central, SpikeTV, etc. would show only TV-MA any time. Even late at night, USA will not show TV-MA. They can also use software or hardware based profanity filter, like SafeTV, TVGuardian, Clearplay.

I find that sometimes replays that are earlier in the day may have colorful language missing, but during the initial airing, say 10 pm, the language is intact.
post #17660 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post

no they don't censor content. They pass thru whatever USA sends them, did you think fios or cablevision or any other company has a person sitting there listening for S and F words then hitting the dump button like it was a live radio show? Programming contracts don't allow that anyway. F and S words aren't aired on USA, just something the USA censors took out of the show Suits that the writers put in. S and F are heard late nights on Comedy Central and a-hole is heard on TNT.

Daily Show has F and S words censored out here in Tampa during the 11 pm broadcast. I swear it wasn't that way years ago, tho. Could this be a local decision?
post #17661 of 17987
Well I verified I DVR'ed Suits at 10 PM on USA / FIOS channel 550 and the F & S words are dubbed out. 100% certain. Will confirm Friday at my other house, but 99% sure Cablevision showing of Suits, also DVR'ed at same time in different location, did not remove that language.

Means one of two things: (1) FIOS NYC is censoring the language; or (2) FIOS NYC is getting a different USA network feed than Cablevision.
post #17662 of 17987
It wouldn't be option one, FiOS is not going to be censoring hundreds of shows at any given hour. It would be the feed they are getting from USA.
post #17663 of 17987
FIOS certainly is not going to have people sit and censor language, but they could pass their feed through a filter like a SafeTV, TVGuardian, or Clearplay. Not saying they are, but they could. Other possibility is that FIOS and OPTIMUM get a different USA feed. How would one know?
post #17664 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgershon View Post

Well I verified I DVR'ed Suits at 10 PM on USA / FIOS channel 550 and the F & S words are dubbed out. 100% certain. Will confirm Friday at my other house, but 99% sure Cablevision showing of Suits, also DVR'ed at same time in different location, did not remove that language.

Means one of two things: (1) FIOS NYC is censoring the language; or (2) FIOS NYC is getting a different USA network feed than Cablevision.
That would be that due to FCC rules, USA and other PG-13/TV-14 type broadcasters have to use filtering software or hardware during a certain time of day period, when they feed out to the birds. After say 9 pm or 10 pm, they feed the unfiltered version. Now if parents were smart, they would learn how to use the built in filters on their boxes to lock out programming that is above a choice in their homes, or use the hardware to filter in their homes, if they wanted to still watch the programming, but there are still those that blame the programmer for not watching out for the kids (not trying to start an argument here, just throwing out a point).

So in turn the broadcasters have to become the parents and filter programming during the daytime hours that little Johnny or little Sally is up, due to mom & dad do not want to be a parent. Then on the other hand, you have those parents that do not care what their kids watch or hear, and there you have the issue where we are right back at a 360, that the broadcasters are now required by the FCC to filter our profanity, or cut out sexual scenes during certain time frames.
post #17665 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

That would be that due to FCC rules, USA and other PG-13/TV-14 type broadcasters have to use filtering software or hardware during a certain time of day period, when they feed out to the birds. After say 9 pm or 10 pm, they feed the unfiltered version. Now if parents were smart, they would learn how to use the built in filters on their boxes to lock out programming that is above a choice in their homes, or use the hardware to filter in their homes, if they wanted to still watch the programming, but there are still those that blame the programmer for not watching out for the kids (not trying to start an argument here, just throwing out a point).

So in turn the broadcasters have to become the parents and filter programming during the daytime hours that little Johnny or little Sally is up, due to mom & dad do not want to be a parent. Then on the other hand, you have those parents that do not care what their kids watch or hear, and there you have the issue where we are right back at a 360, that the broadcasters are now required by the FCC to filter our profanity, or cut out sexual scenes during certain time frames.
Those FCC rules only apply to BROADCAST (meaning that the signal reaches the audience via OVER THE AIR TRANSMISSION). Those rules DO NOT apply to CABLE.
post #17666 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

That would be that due to FCC rules, USA and other PG-13/TV-14 type broadcasters have to use filtering software or hardware during a certain time of day period, when they feed out to the birds. After say 9 pm or 10 pm, they feed the unfiltered version. Now if parents were smart, they would learn how to use the built in filters on their boxes to lock out programming that is above a choice in their homes, or use the hardware to filter in their homes, if they wanted to still watch the programming, but there are still those that blame the programmer for not watching out for the kids (not trying to start an argument here, just throwing out a point).

So in turn the broadcasters have to become the parents and filter programming during the daytime hours that little Johnny or little Sally is up, due to mom & dad do not want to be a parent. Then on the other hand, you have those parents that do not care what their kids watch or hear, and there you have the issue where we are right back at a 360, that the broadcasters are now required by the FCC to filter our profanity, or cut out sexual scenes during certain time frames.

Something is odd here. Saw a post from a FIOS user in VA who saw the curse words in the episode. My recording was also at 10 PM, so it should not be filtered. There is no doubt that the words were filtered out in my DVR recording though. Must be from whatever FIOS was delivering on channel 550. I am interested in what they show tonight.
post #17667 of 17987
The FCC has limited jurisdiction over cable channel content unlike broadcast channels.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/program-content-regulations

For the most part the law says that each household should be able to block a particular channel (both audio and video) and the v-chip is one method for blocking. Other than that, unless the program is ruled to be obscene or indecent and/or violates the fairness doctrine, the FCC has no jurisdiction over content. That responsibility is left to the distributor (cable company, FIOS, satellite provider) and the content producer (USA, etc).

USA exercises some content control over language since they aim for family-oriented action programming. It's entertaining to hear Frazier (which aired on OTA NBC for many years) get "bleeped" on Hallmark. However, it would be very unusual and cost prohibitive for a distributor, such as FIOS, to change content on a channel. In the extreme, it could also lead to some content owners (producers, directors, studios) being "upset" with someone changing their content without permisision.
post #17668 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

When I play game of thrones on demand no crackling. Season 3 is available to watch until september 9th. What a great season. Better than true blood. Bein sport hd is my favorite soccer channel. Pq is better than fox soccer, which will transfer their operations to fox sports one. I'm glad that nbc has the premier league.

I'm really enjoying the BPL on NBC although I miss some of the commentators from Fox. And I hesitated on ordering beIn for a bit but now I'm really enjoying having Serie A back and love seeing La Liga as well. Gareth Bale is favorite player and now RM should be quite the lineup!
post #17669 of 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

Those FCC rules only apply to BROADCAST (meaning that the signal reaches the audience via OVER THE AIR TRANSMISSION). Those rules DO NOT apply to CABLE.
.

Quite correct. Even the four top networks ARE NOT BROADCASTERS in the eyes of the FCC. They have no censorship requirements by the FCC. Only local TV stations are under the FCC. (of course network O&O are broadcast stations).
post #17670 of 17987
When will fios1 be in widescreen? News 12 ny1 ynn and others are in hd and get better ratings. I like the traffic ticker and stuff but fios1 lacks the star power that other stations have. I know that giovanna drpic used to be on channel 9 and now does fios1. Mccall dryvaghs does local broadcast news. Even Christina behr is now an online entertainment reporter.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Verizon FiOS HDTV