Originally Posted by DarrellH
I'll try to summarize what we know/don't know about the 1080p MD6580n and MD5880n DLP models here. If there is other info you would like to see summarized here, let me know. Thanks.HP Microdisplay info can be found here:http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...dtv&catLevel=2
All models have the following inputs:
2 HDMI (480i/p, 720p, 1080i/p*)
2 Component (480i/p, 720p, 1080i/p**)
1 VGA (480i/p, 720p, 1080i/p***)
5 Analog RCA Audio
* Supports 24, 30 and 60fps.
** Supports 24, and 30fps.
*** Supports 24, and 30fps but we have heard that the maximum resolution is 1280x1024p60
All models have the following outputs:
1 Analog RCA Audio out
1 Digital Coaxial Audio out (configurable)Questions to answer:
1) Do the HDMI/Component inputs actually support 1080p as documented?We have confirmation that the ATI 9800 All-in-Wonder will display 1080p at 60 fps to the set.
2) Does the VGA input do 1080p?No. It has been confirmed the max resolution is 1280x1024 @60hz
3) What is the serial input for?
4) Does the digital-audio-out properly pass 5.1 if present on the HDMI input?
5) How does the USB firmware upgrade work?
6) Is it a problem that 1080i/p over the component cables are only 24 or 30fps instead of 60? Is the difference noticeable?Answers to common questions:
1) How is the fan noise? Most common answer: so far, silent.
2) How is the black level? Most common answer: Excellent
3) How is the black detail? Most common answer: Excellent
4) Is there artifacting with fast motion video? Most common answer: Not detected as yet
5) SDE? Most common answer: None. Even up close.
6) SSE? Most common answer: None detected so far.
7) How is the OOB calibration? Most common answer: GoodDevice compatability over HDMI:SA8300HD Cable/DVR STB:
works and produces a great picture but there are reports that some Time Warner customers in some regions will have problems.Hughes HR10-250 DirecTV/DVR:
reportedly has PQ issues over HDMI. Component works great. Being investigated.ATI 9800 All-in-Wonder:
displays 1080p 60 over HDMI to the set. Here is a quote describing the PQSony DVP-NS70H DVD:
displays 1080i over HDMI with no shifting issues. The PQ is outstanding!ATI x800 Pro graphics card:Problems reported:
1) Apparently, the HP stands are not being packed/shipped very well. Most are arriving damaged!
2) PIP functionality is not on-par with competitors. Only 1 HD source available.
3) Remote is not backlit/illuminated.Things we'd like to see fixed:
1) Channel switching can be slow with certain sources. This is supposedly being addressed in the upgrade available with the free 128MB USB drive.
2) Panorama stretch mode is not working quite right. It seems to be throwing away data from the top and bottom of the picture.Enhancements we'd like to see added:
1) Add an EPG. Please. Pretty please!
2) Update the "Info" display so that it displays info on the second window in PIP and split sreen modes - at a minimum identify the source of the secondary window and report the current Aspect setting (panorama, zoomed, etc).
3) Update the "Info" function so that it clears any channel commands entered but not executed by the set...e.g., if I am changing channels and hit 55 instead of 57, hitting the "Info" button should cancel the channel command so I can start over and not have the set switch to the wrong channel