Originally Posted by davenrino
Hmmmm...... It is pretty obvious that you have never lived in Hawaii. I have had companies TRY to charge me $150 to ship a half pound box. Many companies, including HP and JR will not even ship here. I am VERY happy to pay MSRP with free shipping and no 4.1% state tax for a product that isn't even available anywhere in the state. Living in Paradise isn't FREE!
I second that :
- HP will only ship to a residential address in the mainland US. They even mention on their site that you cant export the set after you bought it. Apparently you're not free to do whatever you want with what you own. Interesting concept, especially since this TV isnt available outside the US.
- JnR : first email : please send me the dimensions of the box so i can arrange for transportation to europe. Answer, one day later : sorry we dont ship to europe. Second email : yes i know, which is why i want the dimensions so i can take care of this. Can i have the set picked up at your warehouse by the shipping company ?. Answer, one day later : no you cant. We can only ship to location in the US. Third email : i have other options, we'll work something out. For example, can you deliver the set to my shipping agent's warehouse in NY ? No answer.
I didnt try TVA at first because they're in CA which means longer distance = higher transportations costs. First pleasant surprise : their answer was quick and more than satisfactory. I was so pleased because it showed that they had read my email and given it some thought which was a drastic change from my experience with JnR. And they're flexible too : they'll apply their free shipping option to me, have the set delivered to my shipping agent in NY. I dont have a US credit card ? no problem, i'll pay by wire transfer.
So what is the fuss about ?
- You pay $4995 (6580n) which is exactly what you would pay if you bought from HP or JnR
- Shipping is free.
- They dont sit pretty by the phone simply waiting for your credit card number like others i wont name, they're willing to show some flexibility and accomodate customers with special needs...
- They're a reputable dealer so you know they wont take the money and run.
- They stock the products in their warehouse so you know they dont just place an order through another supplier, hoping he still has the goods in stock.
So they use a few marketing tricls that only goobers fall for... if that's what works it's sad...