or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Athena owners thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Athena owners thread. - Page 79

post #2341 of 2494
That description of the athena bookshelf speakers is confusing. Are they B2's or B1?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Athena-AS-B2...item2a17bebfc9

the title says AS-B2 but the description says AS-B1-1. Find out exactly which ones they are.
post #2342 of 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 View Post

WARNING!! the following answer may be bias...

I had both at the same time, I had purchased the Athenas and then like you was wondering. I bought a whole set of Polks monitor series and ended up returning the Poks. Nothing wrong with Polks but I prefered the Athenas. To me, the sound had more "body" if you will.

For the center, there's nothing wrong per say for the AS-C1 (the matching center) but like many other Athena owners with F2 in the front, they are so good that the dedicated center as a had time keeping up. So if you buy the
F2, it gives you more flexibility. You can add a C1 or a B1 or B2 or, like I'm going to do as soon as I find some, another F2 or F1 for your center.

I totally agree the Athenas are better speakers than the Polk Monitors. Finding what you need may be a problem though.
post #2343 of 2494
I know!!! I have emailed the selling and they are going to post a pic of the model. I assume they mean ASB2.2 is my guess for now. They swear the model # though


Sellers response "In the back of speakers it clearly says as-b2.2b-1 will post a pic of theInfo in the back of speakers today"


Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

That description of the athena bookshelf speakers is confusing. Are they B2's or B1?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Athena-AS-B2...item2a17bebfc9

the title says AS-B2 but the description says AS-B1-1. Find out exactly which ones they are.
post #2344 of 2494
Thoughts on what is a fair price for a set of AS B1 or 2's?

Any other speakers that would mix well as a center?
post #2345 of 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjudd050 View Post

Thoughts on what is a fair price for a set of AS B1 or 2's?

Any other speakers that would mix well as a center?

A pair of those...no more than $100. I imagine they could possibly start going slightly up in price but nott much. To give an idea, 6 years ago I got 4 as-b1's and the c1 for $170 on closeout still new in box.
post #2346 of 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

A pair of those...no more than $100. I imagine they could possibly start going slightly up in price but nott much. To give an idea, 6 years ago I got 4 as-b1's and the c1 for $170 on closeout still new in box.

That's a freakin' steal in my books. One can pay what they are comfortable with, but the way I see it, even if one pays say $150, what can one get that compares for $150, well at least here where I live anyway.
post #2347 of 2494
Can anyone tell me a fair asking price for the following. I'm having a hard time finding used pricing for them. Thanks

4 B2s
1 AS-C1
AS-P300
post #2348 of 2494
You're selling them? If so I'd say as a whole ask $300-400 and accept a bit less to give some haggle room. Have a bottom line in mind.
post #2349 of 2494
Reposting for sale pm if interested

I am selling my 5.1 Athena surround sound system, the reason I am selling them is I'd like to upgrade now. Besides that, they are actually too big for my space anyhow. I spent a lot of time reviewing speakers before I purchased them about 4 years ago. I would give them a condition score of 8 out of 10. They are in a non smoking house as well.

Make offer, local pickup only ventura county calif email vince@tattmeup.com


The speakers included in the set are the following, 5 total

(2) The AS-F2 Speaker is the flagship of the AUDITION series, designed for use in larger rooms or systems. A recommended component from StereoPhile Magazine, the AS-F2 has incredible bass response, and articulate midrange and highs. Utilizing athena's 1" Teteron dome tweeter and Two 8" Injection Molded Polypropylene woofers provide huge sound in a price you won't believe! The AS-F2 is fully magnetically shielded, so it is ready to perform in your Audio Video system.
Power handling is a huge 250 watts for each speaker, and with its high 93dB efficiency will fill even the largest of homes with clear powerful sound.

(1) The AS-C1 is the matching center channel for any Audition based Home Theater System. The small size of the AS-C1 allows flexible placement, and it is magnetically shielded, so placement can be above, below or beside your TV. The AS-C1 is also a multi purpose speaker, that can be oriented vertically, so, you can utilize the AS-C1 as a center channel, a pair as left and right speakers, or you can use three of them across the front of your home theatre in an LCR configuration for precise tonal matching.
Featuring dual 5-1/2 Injection Molded Polypropylene woofers, and the athena 1" Teteron tweeter, the AS-C1 is capable of handling 150 watts of full range power. The AS-C1 in its bass reflex enclosure will astound you with its clarity, bass response, and sound output capabilities.

(2) The AS-R1 Speaker, which recieved the Sound and Vision’s Reviewer’s Choice Award when it was orginally introduced, is a bi-pole rear channel speaker designed to complement your Audition Series speakers in a home theater system. The AS-R1 is primarily designed to be wall mounted, it even comes with a simple and versatile mounting system already attached to the speakers. Additionally, there’s an insert for an optional wall mount bracket called the Macromount that will provide additional flexibility in your installation if required. Dual 1" Teteron dome tweeters in a bi-polar configuration will provide clear extended high frequencies, and the Injection Molded Polypropylene 5-1/2" woofer provides authoritative bass response down to 80Hz. The AS-R1 is recommended for use with any Audition or SCT Series product. The AS-R1 is finished in silver, an exact match to the Audition series front baffles. The AS-R1 it comes with a full faced, black cloth removable grill.
post #2350 of 2494
I have the same stuff for sale, but didn't post it because of forum rules.
post #2351 of 2494
If anyone is willing to sell me apair of B1 or B2's PM me. I am having one hell of a time finding a pair.

If i don't use a C1 or can't find a B1 (or 2 for my center channel) does anyone have thoughts on what could match well?
I have heard that some people have used a Polk CS2 as a center


Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I have the same stuff for sale, but didn't post it because of forum rules.
post #2352 of 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

You're selling them? If so I'd say as a whole ask $300-400 and accept a bit less to give some haggle room. Have a bottom line in mind.

Yes, I'm the one selling. I loved the set but moved up to a B&W setup. Wish I had another room to put the Athenas in.

Thanks for the info.
post #2353 of 2494
I also need a pair of b1's or b2's so I can go 7.1. If any one has some let me know I'll take them off your hands. Thanks..
post #2354 of 2494
Found a pair of B1's last night and ordered a Bic F12. I figured worst case I can order another Bic F12 and if I don't love the setup I'll upgrade in a few years when the wife won't care as much.

This now will leave me with the following setup
Pioneer 1021
2 F2's Fronts
B1 as center
Bic F12 sub
Energy Take Classics as rears.

I would upgrade the rears up I would have to wall mount and I think the wife would flip if I had a speaker that size hung on the wall LOL
post #2355 of 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjudd050 View Post

Found a pair of B1's last night and ordered a Bic F12. I figured worst case I can order another Bic F12 and if I don't love the setup I'll upgrade in a few years when the wife won't care as much.

This now will leave me with the following setup
Pioneer 1021
2 F2's Fronts
B1 as center
Bic F12 sub
Energy Take Classics as rears.

I would upgrade the rears up I would have to wall mount and I think the wife would flip if I had a speaker that size hung on the wall LOL

If I was a betting man, I would bet that you are going to like it a great deal...adding another F12 will do nothing but make you smile more.
post #2356 of 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjudd050 View Post

Found a pair of B1's last night and ordered a Bic F12. I figured worst case I can order another Bic F12 and if I don't love the setup I'll upgrade in a few years when the wife won't care as much.

This now will leave me with the following setup
Pioneer 1021
2 F2's Fronts
B1 as center
Bic F12 sub
Energy Take Classics as rears.

I would upgrade the rears up I would have to wall mount and I think the wife would flip if I had a speaker that size hung on the wall LOL

how are you making out with your setup? how is the B1 performing as a center?
post #2357 of 2494
Delays with the holidays from Ebay, so it should be here today. Which is good since my center cannot keep up with the fronts right now. I'll let you know in a day or two, but pretty excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 View Post

how are you making out with your setup? how is the B1 performing as a center?
post #2358 of 2494
Well, Im looking for a pair of point-5 satellites or even a pair of WS-15's if anyone has some to sell.


-Matt
post #2359 of 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by netx9nine View Post

Well, Im looking for a pair of point-5 satellites or even a pair of WS-15's if anyone has some to sell.


-Matt

Some here on Amazon. I would check with the seller to make sure if this is a single speaker or pair pricing.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used
post #2360 of 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by netx9nine View Post

Well, Im looking for a pair of point-5 satellites or even a pair of WS-15's if anyone has some to sell.


-Matt

I have two pairs of WS-15s for sale. PM me and I'll send you my Craigslist listing so you can see pictures.
post #2361 of 2494
I have a full Athena set I'm considering selling soon. A pair of AS-B2s, AS-B1s, and the ASC1 center. PM with details.
post #2362 of 2494
I've been using S3s for my mains for years, but the center & surrounds don't match. I see some Audition series up on ebay and it appears nomanetofame may sell a full setup. Would they be a good match?
Apparently Athenas don't show up on Audiogon.
post #2363 of 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffer65 View Post

I've been using S3s for my mains for years, but the center & surrounds don't match. I see some Audition series up on ebay and it appears nomanetofame may sell a full setup. Would they be a good match?
Apparently Athenas don't show up on Audiogon.

Probably not. You'd be better serve by getting his/her full setup, or at least a couple of B1s or B2s and the SC-1 and using your S3s as surround.
post #2364 of 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffer65 View Post

I've been using S3s for my mains for years, but the center & surrounds don't match. I see some Audition series up on ebay and it appears nomanetofame may sell a full setup. Would they be a good match?
Apparently Athenas don't show up on Audiogon.

Athenas aren't expensive enough to have respect on audiogon. Problem is that most of them haven't compared them to their higher dollar speakers and they should have in the first place. Could have saved a bunch of money. But at the same time they wouldn't have the bragging rights if they say they paid so little for speakers.
post #2365 of 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

Athenas aren't expensive enough to have respect on audiogon. Problem is that most of them haven't compared them to their higher dollar speakers and they should have in the first place. Could have saved a bunch of money. But at the same time they wouldn't have the bragging rights if they say they paid so little for speakers.

Well said.
post #2366 of 2494
Really would not want to demote the S3 to surround status so I don't know. I'm using an old cheap Cerwin Vega center and I'm not sure it is keeping up, but I don't have anything else to compare it with. I'll have to try "phantom center" mode and see what that sounds like.
The Audition series must be that much different so it would not match.

I remember when I bought the S3s new and A/B comparing them to some Phase Tech speaker that were twice the price.

Thanks for the help.
post #2367 of 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post


Athenas aren't expensive enough to have respect on audiogon. Problem is that most of them haven't compared them to their higher dollar speakers and they should have in the first place. Could have saved a bunch of money. But at the same time they wouldn't have the bragging rights if they say they paid so little for speakers.

I love my Athena setup and it's tough letting it go for well below what I think it's worth but I wouldnt choose them over what I replaced them with and don't consider them high dollar. I did compare and don't think they were as good. As for bragging rights I don't know anyone who would know either company so doesn't matter.
post #2368 of 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffer65 View Post

Really would not want to demote the S3 to surround status so I don't know. I'm using an old cheap Cerwin Vega center and I'm not sure it is keeping up, but I don't have anything else to compare it with. I'll have to try "phantom center" mode and see what that sounds like.
The Audition series must be that much different so it would not match.

I remember when I bought the S3s new and A/B comparing them to some Phase Tech speaker that were twice the price.

Thanks for the help.

Actually, after more "looking at it", I take it back. Both have the exact same tweeter and all other specs are very similar so it would be pretty close.

What receiver do you have? I would venture to say that a good room correction software (Audyssey) would help to make it even closer.

It would be better than the center you have now, that I'm confident of.
post #2369 of 2494
No Audyssey, but it does have room correction software. Actually using a Parasound HCA-1000 to power the mains and the Yamaha handles the center & the rears. I have it in phantom right now and can hear the difference.

I found the Athena website and was looking at the specs. I also noticed the tweeters are the same between the SCT and Audition series.
post #2370 of 2494
I have F2.2 fronts, and a C1.2 Center. As discussed often, the C1.2 cannot keep up.

I have a spare F1.2, but would have to turn it sideways on a 13" stand to use it as a center because it is too tall for my projector screen.

Is this a terrible idea, or a good idea!?

I also have spare B2.2, and B1.2 but I don't think those will perform any better.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Athena owners thread.