The single cap fix made my flicker problem change from doing it only on warmup to continuously AFTER warmup - about 2 to 3 flicks per second average when using the video input (from VCR cable tuner - i dont pay for digital cable as i have an antenna & ATSC tuner as well). Using ATSC tuner and HDMI, it still flickers, but much less frequency - maybe a one every 3 to 10 seconds. There was no visible deformation or discoloration of the cap or on the top of the board (although i did not go over it thoroughly).
I was hoping for a quick fix in the living room without removing the board but no joy.
This Maxent is 7 years old this month and im not wanting to spend much fixing it. Replacement boards seem to be over $100 and also hard to find. I dont want to gamble that much on a 7 year old TV. A nice new 60 or 65 inch panny, samsung, or LG sounds enticing.
- trying some other inputs for video, or going back to upconvert to HDMI thru my AV receiver (I removed this because it was causing a lot of pix freeze problems which were also getting worse)
- moving it to the garage, removing the board and inspecting closely
- experimenting with freeze spray and a mirror while turned on
- checking what i can with a voltmeter (biggest problem is finding data for what the voltages should be)
- ordering the ebay repair kit which says it has 7 replacement components for about $22 including shipping.
Has anyone here installed the ebay kit? Did it help?