or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Digital Recorders (PVRs) General › SA Explorer 8300HD - suddenly not recording scheduled shows
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SA Explorer 8300HD - suddenly not recording scheduled shows  

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I have a SA 8300HD (Passport) with Time Warner Cable in Cincinnati. I've had it for a little over two months, with no issues. Suddenly, over the past couple days it has not been recording several scheduled shows. The shows are still listed in "Series Manager," but there are only a couple shows in the "Scheduled Recordings." And, in the Guide, the scheduled recordings normally show up in red for current and future timeslots, but now they show up as all the other timeslots.

For instance, I have it set to record the NBC Nightly News every night, and keep one of those recordings. It recorded on Saturday, as it has been for two months. Then, it failed to record Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Same goes for The Daily Show, which recorded all last week, but not Monday or Tuesday.

TWC tech support (tier 3) said there has been no software updates, and are basically stumped. They are sending someone out to replace the box. I would prefer to fix the problem. Any ideas?
post #2 of 8
Have you tried manually putting the box into record? Just wondering if it will record at all.
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Yes, it does record. I even rescheduled a couple of my previously scheduled series by starting from scratch, and those are now showing up in "Scheduled Recordings." It's almost like the series that aren't being recorded changed times, and the scheduled recordings, which are each set to only record the usual timeslot, are being skipped over, but I know that isn't the case. NBC Nightly News is still at 6:30, Daily Show is still at 11:00. (?)
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil001
It recorded on Saturday, as it has been for two months. Then, it failed to record Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Same goes for The Daily Show, which recorded all last week, but not Monday or Tuesday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil001
It's almost like the series that aren't being recorded changed times, and the scheduled recordings, which are each set to only record the usual timeslot, are being skipped over, but I know that isn't the case. NBC Nightly News is still at 6:30, Daily Show is still at 11:00. (?)
Sounds like a DST (Daylight Saving Time) bug ... since it started happening on Sunday and DST ended Saturday night ... and it's 'like the shows changed times' (which in a way they did).
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil001
I have a SA 8300HD (Passport) with Time Warner Cable in Cincinnati. I've had it for a little over two months, with no issues. Suddenly, over the past couple days it has not been recording several scheduled shows. The shows are still listed in "Series Manager," but there are only a couple shows in the "Scheduled Recordings."
This has happened to me a few times over the past 2.5 years but it doesn't mean the box has gone bad (SA8000 and 8000HD w/Passport). I simply set up new series recordings to replace the ones that had gone bad (then deleted the bad ones) and that worked fine. No need to replace the box unless the software was corrupted or sumthin. I lost some series recordings after the DST change last weekend and others have lost some as well but this happens from time to time.
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Ah. Of course, the time change. I can't believe I didn't think of that (or that TWC tech support didn't either). I guess that's one way we were spoiled by TiVo, which always handled time changes, timeslot changes, etc. pretty transparently.

Thanks for the idea. Should I expect to update series recordings every time change then?
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil001
Ah. Of course, the time change. I can't believe I didn't think of that (or that TWC tech support didn't either). I guess that's one way we were spoiled by TiVo, which always handled time changes, timeslot changes, etc. pretty transparently.

Thanks for the idea. Should I expect to update series recordings every time change then?
Well most of the time most of my series recordings remained intact, but sometimes some became inactive. Sometimes they'll fix themselves within a few days but other times i have to manually reset it if it doesn't come back on it's own.

On Sunday i noticed some half-hour and one-hour slots in the menu said "No Data" while all the other squares were fully populated and one of these was my weekday 4:00PM local news show and it did not record on Monday. I left it alone and it started to record again on Tuesday and now works normally.

Sometimes this happens for no apparent reason even without a time change but it's just a glitch. Sometimes the broadcaster will slightly change the title and that will disable the series recording for that show.

So yeah it's a good idea to check your series recordings after a DST change or software update.
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
I talked to TWC tier 3 support again. They had never heard of any time change bug. Not too surprised there. He did make a good point that if it really was a widespread bug, they would have been deluged with calls on Monday. He insisted on replacing the boxes as a solution. I didn't have to much saved that I wanted to keep so I allowed them to do it. They replaced them this morning. I guess we'll see. Thanks for your suggestions.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Digital Recorders (PVRs) General › SA Explorer 8300HD - suddenly not recording scheduled shows