Originally Posted by aprest
See page 48 0f the manual:
1) in stop mode press Tools on the remote
2) select Rec Settings and press Enter
3) select DVD Rec Picture Size and press Enter
4) select 16:9
There are limitations to this however - quoting from page 48
* It only works with DVD-R and DVD-RW (Video), not DVD+RW not DVD+R (where the screen size is set at 4:3)
* It only works when recording mode is set to HQ, HSP or SP - so a max of 2 hours.
* With DVD-RW (VR mode) the actual picture size is recorded regardless of this setting - if you don't mind this mode, this seem to be the best choice. The manual doesn't state with recording modes can be used.