or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Sony LocationFree Player Pak
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony LocationFree Player Pak - Page 3

post #61 of 99
New to this site, so please excuse any faux-pas...

Just bought the Sony LocationFree Player Pak, this is just the base station w/ software for PC and PSP.

The Installation was very painless. I was able to setup a direct cable feed (the unit has a built-in cable converter), my STB w/ PVR, and my Sony 400 DVD jukebox. Installed the software on my laptop, powered up the unit, and went into setup mode and voila, I was connected.

The NetAV was a little tricky, since I'm using a Linksys and the UPnP was disabled. Sony doesn't actually remind you to check this; they just tell you to try the more complicated DDNS route. Luckily I took a chance and checked the Linksys admin page, and sure enough I just had to check the UPnP box, and everything worked!

For the PSP, it was the same process. I just had to download the upgrade (now at v2.6) and select the LocationFree Icon, with the base station in Setup Mode. It walks you through a grand total of 4 steps, and it's up and running. The NetAV was just as painless.

I saw some comments about interference btw the two WiFi access Points. I did not notice any problems. From the PSP I can gain access either through my Wireless Router or directly through the Base Station and the quality is about the same.

As for image quality, the image on the PC is slightly grainy, but acceptable. On the PSP, as far as I'm concerned, the image is even better then my regular TV. It's crisp and very bright.

On both units there are a few lags, most evident when you first turn it on, or when switching channels.

The only problem I have is w/ the remote codes. I was able to find a code that works w/ my Scientific Atlanta STB, but it does not support the PVR functionality. Does anyone know if Sony has released new codes for this?

Also there are no codes available for the Sony 400 DVD jukebox (model 995). This really surprised me, since they are both Sony products. Again, anyone found out how to make this work?

Of course this wouldn't be an issue if you could use custom remote codes, but this seems only available if you have the 12" screen.

One last question: are there any security risks w/ turning on UPnP w/ my Linksys router?
post #62 of 99
Just a general question about LF, Slingbox and spaceshifting in general.

What are the broadband requirements?

I'm now at a HK hotel and this connection is about 170 kbps up/down. A lot of hotels advertise broadband and it's good for general surfing but probably not for heavy multimedia including the video streaming for spaceshifting.
post #63 of 99
For the Sony LF, as far as I know, then only stated requirement is that you have to have 300k of upload bandwidth. Presumably you would want the same amount on the download, but it doesn't specify.

Haven't tried it in a remote location with that low a download speed, so I can't comment on how well it would work in real world...
post #64 of 99
So I just got the LF Player Pack tonight. Hooked it up on my PSP and laptop in about 20 minutes with the only (slight) problem being that I had to make sure UPnP was enabled.

So far I am very very impressed with the picture quality although I have not tried it from another location.

The biggest gripe so far - and it is a fairly substantial one - is the same problem as Zinner mentioned. I have a Scientific Atlanta DVR Unit and the included virtual remotes do not include a button that will allow me to access my recorded shows. This is one of the main reasons for me getting this device was so that I could program the device and watch recorded shows on the road. Surely enough people have complained that they are working on a fix. I will be placing a call to customer support tomorrow.

I would also be interested to explore the idea of those with the tablet that can program IR codes possibly being able to save the remote or the codes and trying to get them to work on our LF somehow...

Anyway - just thought I would chip in with my +'s and -'s.
post #65 of 99
I'm very surprised that Sony hasn't updated remote codes yet--and doubly so that they don't have them for their own 400-disc DVD changer. That was one of the key components I was planning on hooking up to the LF (the other being my E* 942 DVR)--together with remote PSP viewing, those are a hell of a 'killer app' combo. Hope they get with the program, this severely cripples the usablity of the LocationFree system, as far as I can see.

C'mon Sony, how hard can it be to get the codes together? If Logitech/Harmony can have a massive database ready for download (and they do it very well), you can.
post #66 of 99
I agree. At this point, the remote codes are the only main problem with the system.

No problem if you have the tablet, but what's worse is there's no way to take the codes you learn for the tablet and 'store' them on the base unit for the other clients.
post #67 of 99
In regards to my prior post regarding missing or incomplete remote codes:

I called Sony customer service and it went as I thought it would. The rep said that it is a known issue and that they will hopefully have a fix in the next update. He would not guess as to when that would be, but did say within the next few weeks. When I asked him how many people have reported problems, he said "4." This surprised me, but I am assuming he meant specific complaints regarding the Scinetic Atlanta 8300HD. I told him to notch a few more complaints for all the people on this forum with the same problem.
post #68 of 99
Hi,

Just so y'all know, tracking down all this IR code stuff is a *huge* pain. We've been at it since way before our launch and even today we still have some flaws in our codes as well. It's also an ongoing effort for everyone, as there are always new devices coming out!

As a fellow place-shifting device manufacturer I just thought I'd chime in and share.

Best,
Jeremy

ps - if they never get it working, we do have codes for the SA8300...
post #69 of 99
OK jtoeman,

Sell me on the sling. Here are my concerns:

(1) The IR code problem. Does the sling have the codes that will allow me to access my recorded shows? (ie. the list button for the 8300)?
(2) The thing that sold me on the LF Player was PSP support. How close is Sling to finding a solution? It sucks that Sony plays nasty.
(3) Does the sling have limits on the number of computers the software can be installed on? I get one license with the LF player meaning one computer (+ psp). Can I use any computer to access my Sling box?

I might have to make a return if the IR code problem is not solved quickly.
post #70 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtoeman View Post

Hi,

Just so y'all know, tracking down all this IR code stuff is a *huge* pain. We've been at it since way before our launch and even today we still have some flaws in our codes as well. It's also an ongoing effort for everyone, as there are always new devices coming out!

As a fellow place-shifting device manufacturer I just thought I'd chime in and share.

Best,
Jeremy

ps - if they never get it working, we do have codes for the SA8300...


Which is why you give the consumer a way to record (learn) their existing codes. Take it out of your hands, and give them the power.
Don't know how this would work for your platform (IR adapter for the PC?) but I can do this with the tablet portion of the sony kit, and it works great, but I can't share those codes with the other 'clients' of the base station.

Also, I just saw some more information, and it's just about confirmed that the ps3 will also act as a base station to the psp, and allow you to view movies from the ps3 itself and even use the remote psp client to schedule recordings etc using the ps3's pvr functions.

But you know, I can't watch my sony kit with my pocket pc phone
post #71 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtoeman View Post

Hi,

Just so y'all know, tracking down all this IR code stuff is a *huge* pain. We've been at it since way before our launch and even today we still have some flaws in our codes as well. It's also an ongoing effort for everyone, as there are always new devices coming out!

As a fellow place-shifting device manufacturer I just thought I'd chime in and share.

Best,
Jeremy

ps - if they never get it working, we do have codes for the SA8300...

I appreciate your acknowledgment that its a pile of work. I would think that your company has a tighter set of resources to handle such, too. Seems you manage to pull it off, though. AND you're soon to be releasing a Mac OS client, which you developed in-house w/ the same small team (correct?)--and that's my point, Sony has ZERO excuses exept total lack of will/proper prioritizing with this product.

As it stands, the only things lacking from the Sling product are seamless multiple inputs and PSP support. But, hey, if Sony doesn't even provide remote codes so I can use the multiple devices on said PSP, including their own component hardware, what's the point anyway?

Put some heat on them Jeremy, that's what I'm talking about.
post #72 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBHDNut View Post

OK jtoeman,

Sell me on the sling. Here are my concerns:

(1) The IR code problem. Does the sling have the codes that will allow me to access my recorded shows? (ie. the list button for the 8300)?

(2) The thing that sold me on the LF Player was PSP support. How close is Sling to finding a solution? It sucks that Sony plays nasty.

(3) Does the sling have limits on the number of computers the software can be installed on? I get one license with the LF player meaning one computer (+ psp). Can I use any computer to access my Sling box?

I might have to make a return if the IR code problem is not solved quickly.

1) Yes, and the remote controls look like the physical remote you own.
2) Our priority is on the Windows Mobile and Mac OSX platforms. Ideally the PSP will happen down the road, but if this is your "make-or-break" issue, I don't have a solution for you on it at present or anywhere in the short term.
3) You can install the software, for free, on any PC you want. Here's the link: http://www.slingmedia.com/support/downloads.php. Any PC can access your Slingbox from any network, but only a single PC can do so at a time.

Best,
Jeremy
post #73 of 99
Jeremy--

I noticed in your signature that you have 2 Slingboxes in your personal setup. Any conflicts in such a system, i.e. remotes or otherwise (seems I may have run across this elsewhere, but wanted to do a 'horses mouth' as it were)? If two Slingboxes work great in tandem (i.e. in the same rack/AV setup), then two inputs would work for my purposes (when OS X client is released), just a little more cash/equipment outlay I guess. If not, I'll have to keep thinking about this a bit more.

Thanks,
Shane
post #74 of 99
hahaa.. so all the time I'm going on and on about how I chose the LF pack over the slingbox because the sony unit came with an internet tablet, Jeremy was probably biting his lip on the development of the client for the new UMPC tablets.

If I didn't already have the $$ invested in the sony pack, this would be the way to go. Sony STILL hasn't updated their remote codes.

Jeremy, have you had any hands on time with the UMPCs yourself? Or is the client for them just the xp client with modifications? (since the umpc is an xp machine).

Wondering what the start times are on the UMPCs etc. Chances are you won't see this cause I'm betting you're at Cebit...
post #75 of 99
Anyone know how to get this bad boy working while at the job/office? This may seem like a dumb question, but I cant find any concrete documentation. I have Locationfree set up at home on my personal comp, as well as my PSP. However, I'm clueless as to how to get this up and running on my work pc. I assume I have to install the software on that comp, (which I have done), and then what? Thats where I get stuck. Do I copy the settings from my home pc setup onto the work pc installation? I've tried that and it doesnt connect. Please help! Thanks.
post #76 of 99
Chances are that unless you work for a smallish company, the firewall at your work will prevent the connectivity from your pc. I need to re-install it anyway (new pc) so I'll get a refresher in just a minute
post #77 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buji View Post

hahaa.. so all the time I'm going on and on about how I chose the LF pack over the slingbox because the sony unit came with an internet tablet, Jeremy was probably biting his lip on the development of the client for the new UMPC tablets.

If I didn't already have the $$ invested in the sony pack, this would be the way to go. Sony STILL hasn't updated their remote codes.

Jeremy, have you had any hands on time with the UMPCs yourself? Or is the client for them just the xp client with modifications? (since the umpc is an xp machine).

Wondering what the start times are on the UMPCs etc. Chances are you won't see this cause I'm betting you're at Cebit...

I was totally biting my lip!

I like the UMPC as a concept and in the 'generic' implementation, but I honestly haven't spent enough time with it personally to recommend any one of the current configurations. I would very much want one with built-in EVDO, personally.

I'll let you know more once I've really gotten to play with it (will probably write something up on my personal blog), but my early thoughts are - looks very cool!

Best,
Jeremy
post #78 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanewalker View Post

Jeremy--

I noticed in your signature that you have 2 Slingboxes in your personal setup. Any conflicts in such a system, i.e. remotes or otherwise (seems I may have run across this elsewhere, but wanted to do a 'horses mouth' as it were)? If two Slingboxes work great in tandem (i.e. in the same rack/AV setup), then two inputs would work for my purposes (when OS X client is released), just a little more cash/equipment outlay I guess. If not, I'll have to keep thinking about this a bit more.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane! Sorry I missed this post until now...

No problem at all with two Slingboxes - in fact they will autodetect each other during setup and you should be able to get them working very very easily...

Best,
Jeremy
post #79 of 99
Jeremy--
My Slingbox is on it's way. I ordered one for now, that I will probably set up w/ one input back in my office close to the router/DSL/Airport base station and an E* 811 sat receiver (figured the key is to get it working with my home network and remotely and this location vs. in my main A/V rack will assist me in troubleshooting). Is it a pain to add a second Slingbox later, and or relocate/reconfigure the inputs if I move it? I'm also keen on the mobile client, but I need to pay off my new PC laptop first.

Let me know when that Mac client beta begins, too, because I'm all over that .

Oh, and a note to Sony--too bad you didn't stay on top of things here, you lost some potential customers, I'm sure. The LocationFree is a great concept, but you needed to keep it improving to make it seem worth the investment.
post #80 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buji View Post

Chances are that unless you work for a smallish company, the firewall at your work will prevent the connectivity from your pc. I need to re-install it anyway (new pc) so I'll get a refresher in just a minute

Aside from firewall issues/opening ports (which your network admin at the office would have to help you with), the PSP doesn't even "see" hidden networks, i.e. ones that fixed/manual detection/login, which many WiFi networks in work environments are (including mine). Seems it'd be a simple addition in capability/software but they haven't added it yet...so my guess is the LF client can't do that either (but that may be a function of the OS/machine itself, i.e. your computer is already seeing the net)?
post #81 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanewalker View Post

Jeremy--
My Slingbox is on it's way. I ordered one for now, that I will probably set up w/ one input back in my office close to the router/DSL/Airport base station and an E* 811 sat receiver (figured the key is to get it working with my home network and remotely and this location vs. in my main A/V rack will assist me in troubleshooting). Is it a pain to add a second Slingbox later, and or relocate/reconfigure the inputs if I move it? I'm also keen on the mobile client, but I need to pay off my new PC laptop first.

Let me know when that Mac client beta begins, too, because I'm all over that .

Oh, and a note to Sony--too bad you didn't stay on top of things here, you lost some potential customers, I'm sure. The LocationFree is a great concept, but you needed to keep it improving to make it seem worth the investment.

Shane,

Welcome aboard!

No, adding the 2nd slingbox later is perfectly fine, since you ultimately have to configure one, then the other, it's really designed to work this way. Same with reconfiguring inputs - during the initial setup you'll only get prompted to configure one input, then you can come back to setup to make any 'extra' changes you need.

Don't forget to register your Slingbox before April 26th so you can get the mobile client for free!

If you can send me an email personally I can add you to the mac beta list!

Best,
Jeremy
post #82 of 99
Jeremy,
When is that Mac beta going to start? I'm on the list too.
Thanks.
post #83 of 99
In looking through the LF-PK1 remote codes, I didn't see one for the Directv DVR. I have a D* HR10-250. Does anybody know if there is another code that will control this unit?
post #84 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAZCats View Post

In looking through the LF-PK1 remote codes, I didn't see one for the Directv DVR. I have a D* HR10-250. Does anybody know if there is another code that will control this unit?

I have a HR10-250 and it works fine with my LocationFree system. It has at least a couple remote setups that work with the HR10-250 (one labelled DirecTV and the other labelled TiVo).

The only problem I have is that I have two DirecTV TiVo-based DVRs and can't set the remote/unit code on my LocationFree system to differentiate between the two. So, each remote command affects them both. So far it's yet to cause any problems (like accidentally deleting a show on one sysstem when simply selecting something from the menu on the other), but it could certainly happen!

-Randy
post #85 of 99
I can't believe I'm still waiting for remote codes for my devices, the SA 8300HD PVR and Sony 400 Disc Jukebox 995. To think that I spent $1000 on the 7" Sony LF-X5 and it's collecting dust because I can't watch archived shows OR DVDs. Not to mention that my model of the base station doesn't have a web-based configuration interface. Couldn't they add this with a firmware release?

I just got the Player Pak from sonystyle after waiting for months for it to be in stock hoping it would have updated remote codes, but no luck. After a quick search online, I found this thread.

Sony, are you asleep at the wheel?
post #86 of 99
yes, yes they are.
at least with the 12" tablet you can learn whatever IR codes you need, but then the stupid part is you can't xfer those codes to the psp or pc client.

I'm waiting for a 12" umpc (flash-based would be ideal) or something along those lines and then I'm all about the slingbox.

My main thing is I need a ready-on style tablet (turns on in 5 seconds or less) with good sound and long battery life.

the sony 12" tablet works... eh.... well, it works for the av stuff ok, but the 'lite' web browser gets hung up on extensive html more and more. Just one of those 'almost there' kind of things.

Ideally a flashed based umpc that booted in seconds but still had plenty of ram and a full browser would be nice, with hardware buttons to immediately connect to the slingbox, and a decent (at least 12") screen.

I've looked at tablet pcs (and slate pcs) but it just doesn't seem like the battery life is there.
post #87 of 99
Anyone else have a problem with the Player Pak showing "squished" video. Looks like 16:9 contect squished on a 4:3 screen?

At least now I know the remote codes are an issue. Can't make any of them work for my D* H20
post #88 of 99
caspyr, vireing with which client? 7" 12" or psp?
post #89 of 99
http://esupport.sony.com/perl/lfxremote.pl?&mdl=LFB20

Has new remote codes for the SA 8300HD--including the LIST button for DVR usage. They include instructions for adding these codes to the PC client of the software, but I have no idea how to do the same for a Mac or the PSP (the only two devices I use this with).

Any ideas?
post #90 of 99
I hope this thread isn't too old and nobody looks, but I'll give it a shot...

I just bought a LocationFree Player LF-B20 Wireless unit. I have it set up to view TV on my laptop and psp. The picture quality is OK. The TV I have it set up on is a SD tv with a TWC DVR... Not HDTV.

Does this affect the picture quality when viewing on my laptop and psp? I've changed the settings on the player to have the best quality already.

I'm thinking about getting a second HDTV and HD DVR. Nothing too fancy... it would be the second HDTV in the house and would be used for the LocationFree player and when the girlfriend wants to watch Greys Anatomy when I'm watching college BBall.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Sony LocationFree Player Pak