or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Please Join and post what speakers you have
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please Join and post what speakers you have - Page 101

post #3001 of 3359
Audio Only setup:

John Kreskovsky's DIY speakers design -- NaO II RS
MMF-5 turntable
Rotel preamp
Denon Universal Player
3-way active crossover for the speakers
Outlaw audio 7 channel amp, using 6 for the NaO II speakers
Sony BR jukebox player
Couple Bottlehead kits -- headphone amp and a pre-amp
Dayton Titanic 12" sub
Bunch of Acoustimac and DIY absorption panels

450


Makeshift TV/Videogame setup

Dennis Murphy's DIY speaker design -- MBOW1 3-way config
Polk RTi38 for surrounds
Working on building a center channel right now
Denon 3310CI receiver
Acoustimac panels

450
post #3002 of 3359
I'm glad I got to see lovinthehd's set up, really cool looking room. And cybersage, dig the theater.

Here's my final additon of wides and xtra sub to complete; RTiA9's x 4, CSiA6, FXiA6 and Epik Empire x 2

GEDC0201.jpg

P1030858.jpg

GEDC0205.jpg
post #3003 of 3359
I know this is 'small fries' to everyone else here but I just upgraded from a Yamaha RX-V667 to a Yamaha RX-V3071 and I am blown away. People on here/aduioholics/whirlpool forums had me believing that my speakers would be a bottleneck to any increase, but I'm happy to report that they couldn't have been more wrong.

20120718152334.jpg
20120718152346.jpg
20120718152357.jpg


In all my tests ( various blu-rays, MP3s and Wav files ) distortion in the form of crackling or muddy bass has disappeared.

Terminator Salvation ( DTS-MA ) has been my reference disk and in all the instances of distortion in sounded crystal clear ( no distortion and more dynamic ) and bass also sounded tight and controlled. My RX-V667 has my subs at -6dB and despite the fact that YPAO on my RX-V3071 had my subs at -2.5dB it sounded much cleaner.

Nearly everyone on here said "you would get more from a speaker upgrade" I got ( in my subjective opinion ) a 100% increase in sound quality for 35-40% of my speaker cost for the receiver. Sound used to thin out at anything under -25dB and now even at -10dB it sounds clearer and more controlled than it ever has. Even my GF ( who's ears are fu

So I'm pretty stoked.

-Sincerely; an unemployed uni student who is 100% happy with his 7.2 Yamaha Speaker setup ( NS-777x2, NS333x4, NS-C444x1, YSW-RSW300(subs )x2 + RX-V3071 ( 9.2 receiver + pre outs for 11.2 )
post #3004 of 3359
Very nice. I love that feeling when a purchase makes you feel good. I'm glad you are happy.
post #3005 of 3359
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchalfont View Post

I know this is 'small fries' to everyone else here but I just upgraded from a Yamaha RX-V667 to a Yamaha RX-V3071 and I am blown away. People on here/aduioholics/whirlpool forums had me believing that my speakers would be a bottleneck to any increase, but I'm happy to report that they couldn't have been more wrong.

20120718152334.jpg
20120718152346.jpg
20120718152357.jpg


In all my tests ( various blu-rays, MP3s and Wav files ) distortion in the form of crackling or muddy bass has disappeared.

Terminator Salvation ( DTS-MA ) has been my reference disk and in all the instances of distortion in sounded crystal clear ( no distortion and more dynamic ) and bass also sounded tight and controlled. My RX-V667 has my subs at -6dB and despite the fact that YPAO on my RX-V3071 had my subs at -2.5dB it sounded much cleaner.

Nearly everyone on here said "you would get more from a speaker upgrade" I got ( in my subjective opinion ) a 100% increase in sound quality for 35-40% of my speaker cost for the receiver. Sound used to thin out at anything under -25dB and now even at -10dB it sounds clearer and more controlled than it ever has. Even my GF ( who's ears are fu

So I'm pretty stoked.

-Sincerely; an unemployed uni student who is 100% happy with his 7.2 Yamaha Speaker setup ( NS-777x2, NS333x4, NS-C444x1, YSW-RSW300(subs )x2 + RX-V3071 ( 9.2 receiver + pre outs for 11.2 )

Your old receiver sounds as if it was malfunctioning and what people would tell you here would be based on properly functioning units....glad you got good sounds, tho!
post #3006 of 3359
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchalfont View Post

I know this is 'small fries' to everyone else here but I just upgraded from a Yamaha RX-V667 to a Yamaha RX-V3071 and I am blown away. People on here/aduioholics/whirlpool forums had me believing that my speakers would be a bottleneck to any increase, but I'm happy to report that they couldn't have been more wrong.
In all my tests ( various blu-rays, MP3s and Wav files ) distortion in the form of crackling or muddy bass has disappeared.
Terminator Salvation ( DTS-MA ) has been my reference disk and in all the instances of distortion in sounded crystal clear ( no distortion and more dynamic ) and bass also sounded tight and controlled. My RX-V667 has my subs at -6dB and despite the fact that YPAO on my RX-V3071 had my subs at -2.5dB it sounded much cleaner.
Nearly everyone on here said "you would get more from a speaker upgrade" I got ( in my subjective opinion ) a 100% increase in sound quality for 35-40% of my speaker cost for the receiver. Sound used to thin out at anything under -25dB and now even at -10dB it sounds clearer and more controlled than it ever has. Even my GF ( who's ears are fu
So I'm pretty stoked.
-Sincerely; an unemployed uni student who is 100% happy with his 7.2 Yamaha Speaker setup ( NS-777x2, NS333x4, NS-C444x1, YSW-RSW300(subs )x2 + RX-V3071 ( 9.2 receiver + pre outs for 11.2 )

Same receiver here and absolutely no issues with sound quality
post #3007 of 3359
My Multimedia Room


Polk Audio RTiA9, Polk Audio CSi A6, Samsung UN22D5000 LED TV and Carada Criterion 88" Screen.
38965929.jpg

58660153.jpg


Polk Audio CSi A6
95133711.jpg


Polk Audio RTi A9
39158123.jpg


Ergotron LX Desk Mount for Samsung LED TV
33034189.jpg


Polk Audio RTi A3 (SURR and SURR-Back)
79364725.jpg


Audio Rack: Synology DS712+ NAS, APC G50 20A Power Filter, DirecTV HR21 HD, Oppo DV-983H, Oppo BDP-93 and Onkyo TX-NR809
58868725.jpg


Sony VPL-VW40
14486186.jpg


Emotiva XPA-3
40981671.jpg


Rythmik Audio F12SE
69639739.jpg

26191090.jpg


Workstation: 27" iMac (Mid 2011) and M-Audio ProFire 610
45376326.jpg
post #3008 of 3359
Thank's Vardo, after the sale of our house i lost my dedicated AUDIO room now in a condo with only a living room the tv as to be with the audio system but for me it is not a priority when the tv is on the audio system is off and when the audio system is on the tv is off you know the saying HAPPY WIFE = HAPPY LIFE well it's true.
post #3009 of 3359
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchalfont View Post

My setup.


Mostly for gaming with 7.1.


what setup specs do you have? that looks almost identical to mine..
also, is that a coolermaster hafx in the corner of the room? coz i have one too! biggrin.gif
my setup,

7.2
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR609b
Front L&R: Yamaha NS-777
Center: Yamaha NS-C525
Surround: Yamaha C333 (x4)
Sub: Yamaha rsw 300 (x2)

has anyone in this thread had any heat issues with the Onkyo TX-NR609's??
post #3010 of 3359
Quote:
Originally Posted by donpablo83 View Post

what setup specs do you have? that looks almost identical to mine..
also, is that a coolermaster hafx in the corner of the room? coz i have one too! biggrin.gif
my setup,
7.2
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR609b
Front L&R: Yamaha NS-777
Center: Yamaha NS-C525
Surround: Yamaha C333 (x4)
Sub: Yamaha rsw 300 (x2)
has anyone in this thread had any heat issues with the Onkyo TX-NR609's??

Yeah we do have almost the same specs.

I have ns-777x2, ns-333x4, ns-c444, yst-rsw300x2.

The receiver was an rx-v667 but I've upgraded to an rx-v3071 since then.

I got rid of, my Haf-x and went back to my Antec 300 as despite the fact that it was smaller, it also runs quieter and cooler.

My GTX 670 sounded like a leaf blower in the haf x but as it runs cooler the fan doesn't ramp up as much.

How do you like your speakers?

I love mine and since the receiver upgrade it's been night and day.

I can watch live music blu rays at -10 db with zero distortion whereas before it would start to distort and anything under -20...
post #3011 of 3359
IMG_0579.jpg

I replaced my rti6's with rtia7's. I wanted to get the a9's but as you can see they would have been too tall. I actually liked the a7's better during my audition. I also replaced my lsic with the csi6. Anyone need an lsic? lol
post #3012 of 3359
Say goodbye to the Lafleurs!
post #3013 of 3359
After looking at some of the replies, this will probably stick out like a misfit post, but I have yet to see any threads dedicated to budget HT speaker sets.

A little back story first. My PC is the hub of my entertainment system. I use it for Games, Movies, Internet, and TV. In 2004 I bought one of the better PC 5.1 speaker sets available, the Creative Gigaworks S700 5.1. It's 560 watts (RMS), with a very tight 8" sub, using over 200 of that wattage. The satellites are pretty heavy and have 3.5" (3" actual) mids, with 1" dome tweets. Recently I purchased a Yamaha RX-V371, and temporarily hooked the satellites of the S700 up to it. The sub however was ill equipped to handle such connectivity, and I lacked the knowledge to make a custom connection. I preferred to keep it unmodded to try and get better resale value anyway.

My search for a budget HT speaker set to replace the S700 kit lead me to looking at Definitive Technology, Martin Logan, Klipsch, Yamaha, Boston Acoustics, Onkyo, etc. It seemed most were severely downsizing the drivers (while hyping up the performance) of their budget HT speaker sets. I really don't like when I read a speaker's spec to be 3.5", and it ends up measuring only 2.5" to the outer edges of the surround. I don't care what tech or buzz words they use, a tiny speaker with a lightweight magnet just cannot produce even deep vocals well. They all sounded too digital with huge frequency gaps between the mids and sub.

Then one day I stumbled upon some forum chat links via Googling for good budget HT speaker sets talking about Jamo speakers. Some of the chat was wrong, saying they were Japanese (vs Danish) designs, but most seemed to say they were one of the best values in budget HT sets. Yesterday I'd had enough of HT without a sub, so I ventured down to my local Fry's to check out their Martin Logan MLT-1s. There was a mix up and apparently the info I'd gotten on the phone about them having several sets left was wrong, they had none.

Just when I was thinking the 1.5 hour drive in gridlock was a waste of time, along with a side trip to Video Only where they had an open box set of Def Tech ProCinema 400s they were willing to sell for 400 (which sounded like crap to me), I asked the guy at Fry's if they had any Jamo subs or 5 packs. Luckily they had 9 sets of S 426 HCS3s, and some SUB 210s. They had only the sub on display, saying they kept selling out of the 5 pack and demo every time they got a shipment in.

They quickly set up the 5 pack and the manager even checked for lower net prices to match in between working on other orders. Within 10 min they had the 5 pack set up and were playing a Harry Potter movie on them, which sounded amazing for it's ultra low $200 asking price. There are HT sat sets I've listened to at over twice the price that couldn't come close. There was no lower net price on the sats. They matched Vann's price on the sub at $100, $50 off their price. So for $300 I got a set that was actually $17 cheaper than my old Creative Gigaworks were 8 years prior, with more modern, better cabinets, and WAY fuller sound.

I got them home and found the packaging to be some of the best I've seen for any HT electronics. The corner rails of Styrofoam were thick, solid and smooth, the top and bottom caps sturdy, and the center and surround trays well placed and adequately stout as well. All the Styro was dense, hard and smooth, no flaking, breaking or shedding. The sats don't come with wire, but I already had some. The speaker binding posts are gold plated screw-on type, with the surrounds having spring clips, which fit my 16g wire adequately.

A few very minor nit picks are the sub doesn't have an external heat sink or grounded power cord, and though I was surprised to see it come with a gold plated RCA cable, it's WAY longer than need be. Like I said, minor. I plug everything into surge protectors anyway, and I just bunched up and tied the excess cable. Living in a hi rise apt, I also don't push my subs too hard, so hopefully heat build-up won't be an issue. The sat cabinets have rounded vs square corners, and a fairly nice synthetic wood grain finish that appears to be a thin HPL.

I set the sub to half volume, Auto power (for the 12w power down mode), 0 phase, and cutoff at what appears to be 110Hz. I trimmed my surround and center via the receiver sat EQ to drop the 63Hz band to 0, since they can't play that low anyway. Unfortunately my receiver only has small and large for speaker size options, but with the sub at 110Hz, it sounds best in the small size mode. Otherwise I'd have to drop the sub to 80Hz, which is too low for an 8" I feel I readjusted my receiver's dynamic range to max vs standard, which I used with my previous Ti tweets because they were a bit overly bright.

The speakers have what appears to be poly mids and 1" silk dome tweets,. There's two mids that are over 5" on each front, and roughly 3.5" on the center and surrounds. The fronts are floor standing with fairly stout ported enclosures. The center is 13" wide with two mids and one tweet. I played some of the Olympics on TV and Larry Crowne to start breaking them in. A lot of soft dome tweets in budget speakers sound a bit muffled, but these don't. They're fairly natural and detailed, esp for their price range. I got anxious and popped in a Nine Inch Nails Blu-ray concert disc a friend lent me, keeping the volume uder control as I was stil breaking them in, and WOW, just amazing.

For my needs, equipment, and tastes, this is everything I wanted and more, for only $300. The sound is so much more full and detailed than what I had before, and those Gigaworks are no slouches. I'd put even those up against a lot of HT speakers sets that cost way more. Despite this SUB 210 not being the matching one for this 5 pack (SUB 260), it sounds plenty seamless and powerful enough for a small living room like mine, esp at the volume levels I use. These speakers play very tight and musically, just what I wanted. I don't like ultra low continuous rumble. This sub plays low without being too low and muddy, and the sats easily blend with it in sound quality and frequency.

Klipsch now apparently owns Jamo. You don't even need register these speakers for warranty coverage, you just keep the receipt. They're also covered for 5 years. Amazing product, and Fry's has great service.

jamos426hcs3sub210.jpg

http://www.jamo.com/speaker-systems/home-cinema-systems/?sku=S426HCS3

http://www.jamo.com/speaker-types/subwoofers/?sku=SUB210
Edited by Hi Def Fan - 8/1/12 at 4:15pm
post #3014 of 3359
Fronts: Polk RTi 12
Center: Polk CSi 5
Surrounds: Polk RTi 6
Subwoofer: Polk RT3000p
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR809
Amp: Carver M1.5t
post #3015 of 3359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Def Fan View Post

After looking at some of the replies, this will probably stick out like a misfit post, but I have yet to see any threads dedicated to budget HT speaker sets.

A little back story first. My PC is the hub of my entertainment system. I use it for Games, Movies, Internet, and TV. In 2004 I bought one of the better PC 5.1 speaker sets available, the Creative Gigaworks S700 5.1. It's 560 watts (RMS), with a very tight 8" sub, using over 200 of that wattage. The satellites are pretty heavy and have 3.5" (3" actual) mids, with 1" dome tweets. Recently I purchased a Yamaha RX-V371, and temporarily hooked the satellites of the S700 up to it. The sub however was ill equipped to handle such connectivity, and I lacked the knowledge to make a custom connection. I preferred to keep it unmodded to try and get better resale value anyway.

My search for a budget HT speaker set to replace the S700 kit lead me to looking at Definitive Technology, Martin Logan, Klipsch, Yamaha, Boston Acoustics, Onkyo, etc. It seemed most were severely downsizing the drivers (while hyping up the performance) of their budget HT speaker sets. I really don't like when I read a speaker's spec to be 3.5", and it ends up measuring only 2.5" to the outer edges of the surround. I don't care what tech or buzz words they use, a tiny speaker with a lightweight magnet just cannot produce even deep vocals well. They all sounded too digital with huge frequency gaps between the mids and sub.

Then one day I stumbled upon some forum chat links via Googling for good budget HT speaker sets talking about Jamo speakers. Some of the chat was wrong, saying they were Japanese (vs Danish) designs, but most seemed to say they were one of the best values in budget HT sets. Yesterday I'd had enough of HT without a sub, so I ventured down to my local Fry's to check out their Martin Logan MLT-1s. There was a mix up and apparently the info I'd gotten on the phone about them having several sets left was wrong, they had none.

Just when I was thinking the 1.5 hour drive in gridlock was a waste of time, along with a side trip to Video Only where they had an open box set of Def Tech ProCinema 400s they were willing to sell for 400 (which sounded like crap to me), I asked the guy at Fry's if they had any Jamo subs or 5 packs. Luckily they had 9 sets of S 426 HCS3s, and some SUB 210s. They had only the sub on display, saying they kept selling out of the 5 pack and demo every time they got a shipment in.

They quickly set up the 5 pack and the manager even checked for lower net prices to match in between working on other orders. Within 10 min they had the 5 pack set up and were playing a Harry Potter movie on them, which sounded amazing for it's ultra low $200 asking price. There are HT sat sets I've listened to at over twice the price that couldn't come close. There was no lower net price on the sats. They matched Vann's price on the sub at $100, $50 off their price. So for $300 I got a set that was actually $17 cheaper than my old Creative Gigaworks were 8 years prior, with more modern, better cabinets, and WAY fuller sound.

I got them home and found the packaging to be some of the best I've seen for any HT electronics. The corner rails of Styrofoam were thick, solid and smooth, the top and bottom caps sturdy, and the center and surround trays well placed and adequately stout as well. All the Styro was dense, hard and smooth, no flaking, breaking or shedding. The sats don't come with wire, but I already had some. The speaker binding posts are gold plated screw-on type, with the surrounds having spring clips, which fit my 16g wire adequately.

A few very minor nit picks are the sub doesn't have an external heat sink or grounded power cord, and though I was surprised to see it come with a gold plated RCA cable, it's WAY longer than need be. Like I said, minor. I plug everything into surge protectors anyway, and I just bunched up and tied the excess cable. Living in a hi rise apt, I also don't push my subs too hard, so hopefully heat build-up won't be an issue. The sat cabinets have rounded vs square corners, and a fairly nice synthetic wood grain finish that appears to be a thin HPL.

I set the sub to half volume, Auto power (for the 12w power down mode), 0 phase, and cutoff at what appears to be 110Hz. I trimmed my surround and center via the receiver sat EQ to drop the 63Hz band to 0, since they can't play that low anyway. Unfortunately my receiver only has small and large for speaker size options, but with the sub at 110Hz, it sounds best in the small size mode. Otherwise I'd have to drop the sub to 80Hz, which is too low for an 8" I feel I readjusted my receiver's dynamic range to max vs standard, which I used with my previous Ti tweets because they were a bit overly bright.

The speakers have what appears to be poly mids and 1" silk dome tweets,. There's two mids that are over 5" on each front, and roughly 3.5" on the center and surrounds. The fronts are floor standing with fairly stout ported enclosures. The center is 13" wide with two mids and one tweet. I played some of the Olympics on TV and Larry Crowne to start breaking them in. A lot of soft dome tweets in budget speakers sound a bit muffled, but these don't. They're fairly natural and detailed, esp for their price range. I got anxious and popped in a Nine Inch Nails Blu-ray concert disc a friend lent me, keeping the volume uder control as I was stil breaking them in, and WOW, just amazing.

For my needs, equipment, and tastes, this is everything I wanted and more, for only $300. The sound is so much more full and detailed than what I had before, and those Gigaworks are no slouches. I'd put even those up against a lot of HT speakers sets that cost way more. Despite this SUB 210 not being the matching one for this 5 pack (SUB 260), it sounds plenty seamless and powerful enough for a small living room like mine, esp at the volume levels I use. These speakers play very tight and musically, just what I wanted. I don't like ultra low continuous rumble. This sub plays low without being too low and muddy, and the sats easily blend with it in sound quality and frequency.

Klipsch now apparently owns Jamo. You don't even need register these speakers for warranty coverage, you just keep the receipt. They're also covered for 5 years. Amazing product, and Fry's has great service.

jamos426hcs3sub210.jpg

http://www.jamo.com/speaker-systems/home-cinema-systems/?sku=S426HCS3

http://www.jamo.com/speaker-types/subwoofers/?sku=SUB210

I think as long as you're happy don't worry about where they are designed rather than made, or the details you don't understand or care about smile.gif
post #3016 of 3359
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

...don't worry about where they are designed rather than made, or the details you don't understand or care about smile.gif

Actually I know they're designed in Denmark (says Danish Sound Design right on the box) and the only details I can't be sure about are the exact materials used and sub crossover calibrations because the former they don't mention in the specs and the sub crossover only has a 40Hz-200Hz min/max with 4 unlabeled hash marks in between. I only mentioned the bit about Japan to clarify that's not where they're made, and the rest so people that might be interested would know the details are vague on these. Even the manual is mostly in pics vs text. Great set for the money though. I don't think anyone beats them in or near this price range.
Edited by Hi Def Fan - 8/2/12 at 12:41am
post #3017 of 3359
Wow! I feel out of place posting in this multi-million dollar thread...

I got my first real setup from my grandparents- a solid-state Sony stereo amp with matching cassette deck, turntable, and radio, along with two Sony floorstanding loudspeakers.

Then I picked up some Cerwin-Vega speakers from my school for free (new system coming in, I wasn't going to turn down free speakers!). They were really nice, but someone had kicked in the woofers. When I came to college, I tossed them, with much chagrin.

Next came some JVC bookshelf speakers that came from a little system my parents used for years. They're only one way, but they sound great for general computer use.

I troll around the local used stores a lot, and found a pair of big Hitachi 3-way loudspeakers for 15 bucks. They have all drivers intact, and they replaced the Sonys. They also sound great, which is a plus.

My old solid state amp was giving me fits, so I found another Sony stereo amp, this time digital, for 75 bucks at a flea market. It's really great and doesn't have any of the quirks that the old one did.

I found three Sony surround speakers (probably center, left and right) with two drivers each, costing me 5 dollars total.

more recently, I found an entire Pioneer surround receiver, two surround speakers, the center speaker, and subwoofer for 20 dollars at Salvation Army. It's cheap, something that would come in a box set at Wal Mart, but makes for a pretty good 2.1 setup (who knew a crappy 6 inch woofer could sound so good?)

And today, I found a pair of Advent 3 bookshelf speakers for 4 dollars at Salvation Army.

Total, counting speaker cable and RCA connectors, I've spent less than 150 dollars on three full setups. I'm fully in the black so far!
post #3018 of 3359
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerbob View Post

Wow! I feel out of place posting in this multi-million dollar thread...
I got my first real setup from my grandparents- a solid-state Sony stereo amp with matching cassette deck, turntable, and radio, along with two Sony floorstanding loudspeakers.
Then I picked up some Cerwin-Vega speakers from my school for free (new system coming in, I wasn't going to turn down free speakers!). They were really nice, but someone had kicked in the woofers. When I came to college, I tossed them, with much chagrin.
Next came some JVC bookshelf speakers that came from a little system my parents used for years. They're only one way, but they sound great for general computer use.
I troll around the local used stores a lot, and found a pair of big Hitachi 3-way loudspeakers for 15 bucks. They have all drivers intact, and they replaced the Sonys. They also sound great, which is a plus.
My old solid state amp was giving me fits, so I found another Sony stereo amp, this time digital, for 75 bucks at a flea market. It's really great and doesn't have any of the quirks that the old one did.
I found three Sony surround speakers (probably center, left and right) with two drivers each, costing me 5 dollars total.
more recently, I found an entire Pioneer surround receiver, two surround speakers, the center speaker, and subwoofer for 20 dollars at Salvation Army. It's cheap, something that would come in a box set at Wal Mart, but makes for a pretty good 2.1 setup (who knew a crappy 6 inch woofer could sound so good?)
And today, I found a pair of Advent 3 bookshelf speakers for 4 dollars at Salvation Army.
Total, counting speaker cable and RCA connectors, I've spent less than 150 dollars on three full setups. I'm fully in the black so far!

And it probably sounds great to most. The funny thing is if you put my wife in your surround system and then in most others on here or mine, she'd love it as long as the sound is coming out of the little thingys in the back (rear speaker). The difference being you saved thousands of bucks. As long as you are happy, you got an awesome deal, good job.
post #3019 of 3359
Here is my modest setup
TV: Panasonic gt50 55 inch
Receiver : Denon2112
Center: Martin Login Motion 8
Surrounds: Martin Login Motion 4
Rears: 8 inch round in ceiling from monoprice
Sub: Energy s10.3
Logitech Harmony 1100

Edited by gavone1976 - 8/8/12 at 3:53pm
post #3020 of 3359
Yamaha RX-A3010
Emo XPA-5
Front RTI 12 Polks
Front PL TC65I Polks
Center CSIA-4 Polk
Sides TC 60i Polks
Rears Rti 6 Polks
Dual Epik Empires !
Sharp LC-70LE735U 70" 3D LED
Sharp BD-HP75U
Xbox Elite


tv004.jpg
Edited by firemanast - 8/18/12 at 8:28pm
post #3021 of 3359
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerbob View Post

Total, counting speaker cable and RCA connectors, I've spent less than 150 dollars on three full setups. I'm fully in the black so far!
Geez bob, that brings back memories. In the old days CV, Advent, even Zenith Allegra speakers sounded excellent for their price. Ever since everything went digital, you can often find such old gems dirt cheap or as giveaways too. I respect your frugality.

That said, much of the expensive gear sounds great and can be a very life changing, immersive experience, but for many, once you get caught up in that high tech upgrade mode, it never ends and you end up feeling like you're never completely satisfied, not to mention being wallet draining unless your quite wealthy.

A good middle ground is getting involved in local electronics swap meets and fares where you can find great deals on mid to high end stuff, but it takes a lot of brand/model research, caution, and diligence in knowing the dos and don'ts of used gear trading/buying.

Personally I think we could use more of that kind of thing though. There's far too much e waste being sent over seas that's causing lots of problems.
post #3022 of 3359
Cool thread!

Main Fronts: Rega RS5
Center: Rega RS-Vox
Rears: Rega R1's
post #3023 of 3359
Living room/ home theater

Klipsch KB-15 front
Klipsch C-20 center
Klipsch KSB-1.1 surround
Velodyne VRP-1000 subwoofer
Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver

My little budget system. Sounds fantastic in my little 12 x 20 living room.
Edited by mamsbaugh - 8/18/12 at 9:20pm
post #3024 of 3359
My mash up HT speakers, Klipsch KLF-20 x 2
Klipsch RC-3 x 1
Monoprice In-ceiling 4103 x 4
HSU-VTF-15H

Not in service...Klipsch KG 1.2 bookshelf speakers x2
post #3025 of 3359
Finally got mine up and running.

Denon 1912
Fronts & Surrounds: Klipsch RB 41 II
Center Klipsch RC-42 II
No sub, which was both mine & my wife's decision, due to room size, and that the RB-41's put out enough decent bass for what we were looking for.
post #3026 of 3359
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Finally got mine up and running.
Denon 1912
Fronts & Surrounds: Klipsch RB 41 II
Center Klipsch RC-42 II
No sub, which was both mine & my wife's decision, due to room size, and that the RB-41's put out enough decent bass for what we were looking for.
According to the Klipsch website, the 41 IIs are only good down to 85 hz, which means that you are missing out on a *ton* of LFE watching movies and a bunch of low notes in music. I would highly recommend picking up a sub, even if it's a little one. This sub is $300 and would be great at that price point. It says sale ends 8/23, but those go on sale quite a bit at newegg. Trust me on this one, it's going to open up a whole new world of watching movies and listening to music for you. It's also going to lessen the stress on your 41s that are trying to reproduce tones that they weren't meant to. Get a sub, set the 41s to small and cross them over at 90. You'll thank me if you do, and your ears will thank you =^)
post #3027 of 3359
Again djperfecttrip, we do not need it, nor do we want a sub. I know what they go down to, but we were not interested in shaking the house for effect, but to be able to just be able to sit and watch football games, or a few movies on BD or DVD on our BD player. Actually the RB-41's put out more than enough bass to suffice our needs.
post #3028 of 3359
Reference bass is not going to shake your house, but ok, to each their own =^)
post #3029 of 3359
We knew what we were getting them for, and what and how they are going to be used. The system does not go any higher than -18, since again we got it for our reasons, not anyone elses.
post #3030 of 3359
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

We knew what we were getting them for, and what and how they are going to be used. The system does not go any higher than -18, since again we got it for our reasons, not anyone elses.

Since you and your wife are spending the money, and know what sound you were going for and are happy that is all that matters. smile.gif As for my own set-up:
Yamaha RX-A700
60GB original PS3 that came with Talladega Nights that is still going strong
Pioneer DV-563A Universal DVD player, mostly now used for DVD-A's, SACD's and regular CD's.
JVC 4-Head VCR(yes I still own some VHS tapes and they still play fine)
Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE's for the front l/r, CMT-340SE center channel
Athena Technolgies AS-B1's for surround use, that will replaced with a pair of Ascend Acoustics 200SE's.
Velodyne VX-11 subwoofer on a DIY riser that raises it 5" off the carpet. I noticed a tighter cleaner bass response after building the riser.
A link to my gallery at blu-ray.com
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=darkpoet25
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Please Join and post what speakers you have