or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "CSI: Miami" on CBS in HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"CSI: Miami" on CBS in HD

post #1 of 635
Thread Starter 
11/21/05 - Urban Hellraisers

Haven't we seen this plot before in anoither show? I think it was L&O: SVU. The one acts out a video game by killing a woman and racing off. Didn't much care for the plot here guys. I likwed the episode last week when Wolf got it in the eye with a nail gun

Is it me? Or is Calleigh Duquesne extremely hard to understand? She speeks very monotone and softly. I can't understand her at all. I liked her MUCH better in West Wing.

One redeeming quality of this show is Horatio Cane. His character has gotten much better. Maybe his vision is better...he doesn't remove his glasses or squint nearly as much as he used to. Caruso is one of my faves. And as far as leads in all the CAI's, he has improved the most IMHO.

PQ of last night's show was OK. I also notice that the sound fluctuates wildly. I'm always holding on to my remote to change volume.

nc
post #2 of 635
Tuned this in while DVRing Medium's 3D episode for viewing today. An exciting episode. Seemed too fantastic at first, until recalling all the high-school mass murders preceded by excessive 'game' use. Glad to see they excluded most bizarre color or other technical manipulations for this episode, although, from posts here by a former CSI cameraman, some type of behind-the-lens film filtering seems SOP for production. Audio fluctuations? No problem here. I often sacrifice Dolby 5.1 for plain stereo, running all TV audio through a vintage compander (dbx 119) in my hi-fi system that simultaneously boosts and shrinks audio levels--with an added kill switch for commercials. -- John
post #3 of 635
I'd have to disagree about Horatio. I've only seen one epsiode of CSI:Miami (the first episode of the crossover which was concluded on CSI:NY). Pretty much every line he had was delivered horribly. Most caused me to actually laugh out loud.
post #4 of 635
I watch the show with my wife ("there's nothing else on," she says) and Horatio is one of the biggest drawbacks of the show to me. His lines and mannerisms are SO over the top. Plus (and correct me if I'm wrong) CSIs like Horatio usually don't lead the SWAT team through the door during an invasion, right? Last week, I actually got up and left the room because Horatio said a line that was just too laughable.

Typically, the picture is ok, but I don't like it when they get "filter-happy" and modify the color too much.
post #5 of 635
David Caruso is definately over-the-top with his acting. Sometimes an actor has the style necessary to carry this off (as with William Shatner as either James T. Kirk or Denny Crane) but Caruso does not.

CSI Miami dropped off my Season Pass list weeks ago but I did catch last night's episode in HD. The photography on the show is also over-the-top stylewise, always has been, but IMHO it's much worse this season.

Gary
post #6 of 635
Thread Starter 
Can't you take Horatio less serious? I find him entertaining much like I found Crockett from Miami Vice entertaining.
post #7 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillecat View Post

11/21/05 - Urban Hellraisers

Haven't we seen this plot before in anoither show? I think it was L&O: SVU. The one acts out a video game by killing a woman and racing off. Didn't much care for the plot here guys. I likwed the episode last week when Wolf got it in the eye with a nail gun

Is it me? Or is Calleigh Duquesne extremely hard to understand? She speeks very monotone and softly. I can't understand her at all. I liked her MUCH better in West Wing.

One redeeming quality of this show is Horatio Cane. His character has gotten much better. Maybe his vision is better...he doesn't remove his glasses or squint nearly as much as he used to. Caruso is one of my faves. And as far as leads in all the CAI's, he has improved the most IMHO.

PQ of last night's show was OK. I also notice that the sound fluctuates wildly. I'm always holding on to my remote to change volume.

nc

I don't know about the L&O episode as I don't watch it. Last week's plot was 'so so', but you could have guessed the Kid did it in the first five minutes.

It's you, Calleigh Duquesne is easy to hear and understand, but she's a soft spoken southern girl, maybe that's what you're having difficulty with.

Horatio Cane is the weakest link in CSI: Miami, he's the modern day William Shatner. Pontificating on the set, more with the looks and attitude he projects (view me, I am the center of attention, let no actor come before me.)

The volume is another issue, it's been this way with CSI: Miami from day one and I just wish they'd get a friggin clue about it. People have kids that are sleeping at that hour, you want to be able to hear the actors, and they BLAST the song in the intro/pan Miami skyline sceens.
post #8 of 635
RE: Plot ... it was the same as one from "Killer Instinct" a few (1 or 2) weeks ago ...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Sounds like there's a "mole" in the writing departments
post #9 of 635
Hi Guys!
Was watching CSI Miami last night & couple of times during the scenes where there is a loud musical score I heard some weird almost screeching noises from both surround channels. I am not sure if this was part of the musical score or my speakers. Happened only 3-4 times during the whole hour.
post #10 of 635
Is it just me or does the entire CBS Monday night HD lineup have the dialog WAY too low? It seems like I'm riding the volume all night.
post #11 of 635
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbp View Post

Is it just me or does the entire CBS Monday night HD lineup have the dialog WAY too low? It seems like I'm riding the volume all night.

Yep, I have the same problem. Always keeping the remote in my hand to adjust volume. Especially at the CSI: Miami music intro! It scares the kitty cat

nc
post #12 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbp View Post

Is it just me or does the entire CBS Monday night HD lineup have the dialog WAY too low? It seems like I'm riding the volume all night.

CBSHD is always loud for me. It's easily 3-4 level settings above any other HD channel.
post #13 of 635
The CSIs (mainly Miami, in my opinion) have low speaking volume but they really crank it up on special effects. I keep my remote in-hand as well.

Funny you mention the intro, nashvillekat. When Horatio puts his sunglasses on during the intro, I know it's time to turn the volume down.
post #14 of 635
Thread Starter 
Getting into last night's episode, con't ya think Eric's thing was handled rather lightly? Not sure it was "dalt" with, but "H" didn't seem to upset about it. I like Eric, but BUYING pot is inexcusable. I gota believe there will be ramifications from this.
post #15 of 635
so what your saying is his Sister, the one who he bought the pot for. Should have bought the pot her self? Well if its for her, she might aswell buy it herself.. why get her brother, a policeman to do it..

Maybe b/c he wanted her to be safe, not to be hanging out with a drug dealer.
edit: not trying to sound mean.
post #16 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillecat View Post

Getting into last night's episode, con't ya think Eric's thing was handled rather lightly? Not sure it was "dalt" with, but "H" didn't seem to upset about it. I like Eric, but BUYING pot is inexcusable. I gota believe there will be ramifications from this.

Buying medical marijuana to ease your sister's chemotherapy pain isn't something I would expect a reasonable person to get their panties in a bunch over. I found it interesting that the a-hole from Internal Affairs finally admitted he was being petty because Horatio got the promotion he wanted. What a punk!

Edit for spelling
post #17 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteki View Post

a-hole from Internal Affairs finally admitted he was being petty because Horatio got the promotion he wanted. What a punk!

Yeah, that was harsh.
post #18 of 635
What could Horatio do if Eric's marijuana buy was caught on tape? Granted, Eric should be too smart to let that happen. But it opens the door to real world possibilities, those which all Jerry Bruckheimer shows fluff over or totally ignore.

I feel sympathetic to the medical marijuana cause, but don't really know if it works any better than meds that are available. In the real world, of course, weed is illegal in Miami for any purpose. About Eric's future as a caregiver for his sister. Did Horatio's comments to Eric mean he should stop buying, or he shouldn't get caught?

The original scene weeks ago when nail-in-the-eye' noticed cigarette papers in Eric's kit was unforgettable. It led to a pretty clever plot twist, however blatantly framed it was to promote legalizing medical marijuana. Will the eye injury, then infection, lead to permanent eye damage and a change of jobs? Guess we'll have to wait, to find out.

Finally, I liked hearing the punk internal investigator fess up to his slimy revenge motives toward Horatio. Chalk up one for the good guys. But how likely would that ever happen in the real world?

Jim
post #19 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhh View Post

In the real world, of course, weed is illegal in Miami for any purpose.

I was wondering about that, if this show took place in California they could have just said he got the pot from a licensed pot club...but then it wouldn't have been a very good plot twist..
post #20 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhh View Post


Finally, I liked hearing the punk internal investigator fess up to his slimy revenge motives toward Horatio. Chalk up one for the good guys. But how likely would that ever happen in the real world?

Jim


I'm sure it happens quite often, just no one admits to being petty :-)
post #21 of 635
They're setting up a possible season finale: the dude from Internal Affairs shoots Horatio!!

Is it just me or are the characters on this show getting weaker and weaker? I mean, the plots and scripts were already lacking, but now everyone seems really artificial. It's like CSI:Alternate Dimension.
post #22 of 635
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by durl View Post

They're setting up a possible season finale: the dude from Internal Affairs shoots Horatio!!

Is it just me or are the characters on this show getting weaker and weaker? I mean, the plots and scripts were already lacking, but now everyone seems really artificial. It's like CSI:Alternate Dimension.

Perhaps there are too many CSI and "CSI-esque" shows on right now and it doesn't feel as "original" any more. I share your opinion, but not just with this show, but with all the CSI shows.

nc
post #23 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungC55 View Post

so what your saying is his Sister, the one who he bought the pot for. Should have bought the pot her self? Well if its for her, she might aswell buy it herself.. why get her brother, a policeman to do it..

Maybe b/c he wanted her to be safe, not to be hanging out with a drug dealer.
edit: not trying to sound mean.

Was it just me, or was Delko's sister --- really hot? Couldn't take my eyes off her. Hope she comes back!
post #24 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM in MN View Post

Was it just me, or was Delko's sister --- really hot? Couldn't take my eyes off her. Hope she comes back!


It wasn't just you!!
post #25 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillecat View Post

Perhaps there are too many CSI and "CSI-esque" shows on right now and it doesn't feel as "original" any more. I share your opinion, but not just with this show, but with all the CSI shows.

nc


I think CSI has not changed a bit. Other than the cast and such.

(Something happend to my post. Was it a mod/admin job or was it my computers fault? I had to post it again b/c the mod/admin never told me about it.. so all i know my computer got kicked off line and my post was not sent to avsforum)
post #26 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbp View Post

Is it just me or does the entire CBS Monday night HD lineup have the dialog WAY too low? It seems like I'm riding the volume all night.

The worst I've heard on CBS is Yes, Dear. At least a 7 to 10 decible difference. So bad I took it off my Tivo after a couple of seasons.
post #27 of 635
one of the only reasons i watch CSI:Miami (other than the perfect hd pq) is David Caruso's completely over-the-top protrayal of Horatio. it's so hammy it's entertaining as hell.
post #28 of 635
Thread Starter 
Had anyone else noticed the abundance of commerciuals during last nights episode?

It just seemed like too many (more than usual).

nc
post #29 of 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillecat View Post

Had anyone else noticed the abundance of commerciuals during last nights episode?

It just seemed like too many (more than usual).

nc


Appeared normal to me.
post #30 of 635
The half-time commercials seemed to go on forever, but the other commercial breaks seemed more normal and maybe even shorter.

So, that keyboard they showed last night on the show, is that for real? I saw an e-mail floating around last week showing something like that, but it was showing some really small devices projecting the keyboard, much smaller than what they showed last night.
LL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "CSI: Miami" on CBS in HD