Originally Posted by gprro1
So in real world viewing, what kind of differences in picture quality show up between a pixel mapped Bravo and the Oppo?
A pixel-mapped Bravo has the better image.
Virtually all complaints with the Bravo have to do with non-PQ issues such as hangups, failure to read some disks, etc. Never with the PQ.
While I understand that some people get frustrated with a non-responsive unit, I do not believe in "throwing the baby out with the bathwater"
I have been buying and fixing Bravo players with excellent results and installing them for family and friends.
Changing one capacitor in the power supply solves 99% of the issues and keeping the unit cool the other 1%. New firmware allows it to be region-free and use custom output resolutions beyond the standard pixel-map of 852x480.
So ... it's no skin off my nose if people forgo PQ for convenience. If you have a Bravo you are unhappy with, PM me and I'll find it a home.
OTOH, if you want the simplest, cheapest and best PQ available then pick up a Bravo D1 or D2. Do not
use a Bravo is you are not using digital connections with a fixed-pixel display! If you are using component connections, I whole-heartedly recommend the Oppo.
If you have the cash, the Momitsu and, particularily the SnaZio units seem nice.
If you have the cash, the time and OCD then build yourself an HTPC but remember to watch the thing occasionally!