or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › General XBox 360 problem Thread:
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

General XBox 360 problem Thread: - Page 50

post #1471 of 1628
this isn't really a problem, but i just had a quick question. i picked up a new Slim a few days ago, because a woman at work wanted to buy my old Elite for her son, and when i was hooking everything up i noticed that my optical digital cable doesn't really feel secure in the back of the system at all. it sounds fine and all, but it just doesn't click and somewhat lock like it does when you plug it into the back of a cable box, receiver, ect. is that how it's supposed to be?
post #1472 of 1628
I did a search and did not find an answer. Please let me know if this is posted in the wrong thread?

Issue: How can I have both 360 outputs (HDMI and Component Breakout) connected simultaneously and use either one when I want?

Configuration: HT is my great room and the Xbox is installed there. It has the Kenect module and the space for play. My 2004 Mits Alpha (82913) is the video out for all inputs to my Yamaha A/V receiver (HTR-5940) which is my switcher. The Mits does not have HDMI and I use the Yam Component Monitor out for the feed to the Mits. Two other DirecTV DVR's complete the array. All audio goes to the Yam as digital via two fiber and one RCA plug.

Next to the great room is my Den/Office/PC. I have an AVER (027) PCIe capture card install there. The PC has a nVidia 260 dual DVI output video card connected to my 24" Viewsonic (VX2433) and the other back thru the wall to the Mits' DVI (Monolink) port.
I have one of the DVR's HDMI outputs cabled (thru the wall) to that card and it works great. Now, I can watch DirecTV in there without another receiver. Then I had a thought; why not also connect the 360 with a Monoprice switch box and play Non-Kinect games in the Den.

Problem: Alas, no JOY! If I connect both of the 360 outputs simultaneously, the Aver card does NOT see the HDMI signal properly-heavy intermittence when the 360's display autosense in ON. This is true with or without the switch in the circuit. If I just use the HDMI cable, the feed is perfect. But, now I have No input from the component to use on the Mits big screen. If I turn display autosense OFF and set it to 1080i and have both connects connected, the HDMI feed is perfect in the Den and a blue screen on the Mits!

I know this is very wordy, sorry. Also, I can just move the box for Den game play-takes all of 5 minutes. Or, I can just switch the Xbox feeds. But, where's the challenge in that??????????? Ha.

Chuck
post #1473 of 1628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck666 View Post

Issue: How can I have both 360 outputs (HDMI and Component Breakout) connected simultaneously and use either one when I want?

Short, simple answer; you can't. Both outputs are not active simultaneously. HDMI takes precedence when connected.
post #1474 of 1628
Thanks OKTO, love short answers. It's what I thought, but wanted affirmation.

Chuck
post #1475 of 1628
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX View Post

this isn't really a problem, but i just had a quick question. i picked up a new Slim a few days ago, because a woman at work wanted to buy my old Elite for her son, and when i was hooking everything up i noticed that my optical digital cable doesn't really feel secure in the back of the system at all. it sounds fine and all, but it just doesn't click and somewhat lock like it does when you plug it into the back of a cable box, receiver, ect. is that how it's supposed to be?

I had an issue with the optical audio cable on my new slim as well. The outer case on the slim has a round opening around the optical socket, my cable has a big fat square shaped connector. It wouldn't even go into the plug, so I had to round the corners off with a dremel. Yours maybe is big enough to get through the hole but is getting hung up before making it 100% of the way in?

jeff
post #1476 of 1628
:d
post #1477 of 1628
Merry Xmas
Has anybody done an install of Halo Reach on 250gb, I know Halo 3 does not install without some problems.
post #1478 of 1628
Ok, so we got kids Xbox 360 for Christmas and within minutes got a problem. While a game was in the Xbox it got knocked and the disc got burnt by the laser and unplayable.

So is there a way to make a backup of the disc so your not playing original?

If this is not something that should be discussed on AVS please just drop me a PM.

Thanks
post #1479 of 1628
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

Ok, so we got kids Xbox 360 for Christmas and within minutes got a problem. While a game was in the Xbox it got knocked and the disc got burnt by the laser and unplayable.

So is there a way to make a backup of the disc so your not playing original?

If this is not something that should be discussed on AVS please just drop me a PM.

Thanks

When you say the xbox got knocked, I assume you meant it was bumped or fell or something like that. If it was a brand new game, you could try taking it back to the store and exchanging it for the same game. Just tell them it won't play.

As for making back up copies, you could install the game onto your Xbox HD, but you'll still have to insert the disc into the player to play the game. It makes for quicker bootup and a quieter Xbox.

If you wanted to make a real backup copy on a new disc that would require you to mod the Xbox, which would most likely cause you to get banned from Live, if you use it. I found the following website on that subject, it seems to have the most up to date information. Everything else I found was years old.

http://club.myce.com/f98/how-do-you-...5/index10.html
post #1480 of 1628
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktoberrust11 View Post

Short, simple answer; you can't. Both outputs are not active simultaneously. HDMI takes precedence when connected.

I realize that you can't run dual hi-def output, but can you run HDMI and analog audio out? I have a slim 360 running HDMI and would like to run analog audio into Zone 2, but the special XBOX analog connector has a flange that prevents connecting with HDMI cable present.

Do you know if HDMI active prevents analog audio being hot?
post #1481 of 1628
Quote:
Originally Posted by brol View Post
I realize that you can't run dual hi-def output, but can you run HDMI and analog audio out? I have a slim 360 running HDMI and would like to run analog audio into Zone 2, but the special XBOX analog connector has a flange that prevents connecting with HDMI cable present.

Do you know if HDMI active prevents analog audio being hot?
I don't know if this will help since I don't know what your analog connector looks like but thought I'd post it just in case. With my old Xbox I wasn't able to connect HDMI and optical at the same time because the cover on the audio connector was too large to connect the HDMI. I found a way around it by taking apart the casing around the audio connector. It was real easy to do and everything worked out great.
post #1482 of 1628
Quote:
Originally Posted by brol View Post

I realize that you can't run dual hi-def output, but can you run HDMI and analog audio out? I have a slim 360 running HDMI and would like to run analog audio into Zone 2, but the special XBOX analog connector has a flange that prevents connecting with HDMI cable present.

Do you know if HDMI active prevents analog audio being hot?

I believe the output itself is disabled, not just the video. However, I don't know 100% for sure.
post #1483 of 1628
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztony View Post

When you say the xbox got knocked, I assume you meant it was bumped or fell or something like that. If it was a brand new game, you could try taking it back to the store and exchanging it for the same game. Just tell them it won't play.

As for making back up copies, you could install the game onto your Xbox HD, but you'll still have to insert the disc into the player to play the game. It makes for quicker bootup and a quieter Xbox.

If you wanted to make a real backup copy on a new disc that would require you to mod the Xbox, which would most likely cause you to get banned from Live, if you use it. I found the following website on that subject, it seems to have the most up to date information. Everything else I found was years old.

http://club.myce.com/f98/how-do-you-...5/index10.html

Thanks -will check out site but not wanting to do any Mods that can get a ban or void warrenty.
post #1484 of 1628
After installing games on the Xbox Harddrive can you continue to use Autoplay and play from the HD or do you need to manually start via the Game Details (Y)?
post #1485 of 1628
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

After installing games on the Xbox Harddrive can you continue to use Autoplay and play from the HD or do you need to manually start via the Game Details (Y)?

Autoplay still works as before, no need to press Y then start game.
post #1486 of 1628
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

I had an issue with the optical audio cable on my new slim as well. The outer case on the slim has a round opening around the optical socket, my cable has a big fat square shaped connector. It wouldn't even go into the plug, so I had to round the corners off with a dremel. Yours maybe is big enough to get through the hole but is getting hung up before making it 100% of the way in?

jeff

i thought it made it all the way in, since i was getting digital audio. anyway, i took the optical cable into a local BB and tried it on their display slim, and it definitely clicked and locked and was more secure than my slim, so i exchanged it for a new slim and the new one secures it better than the old one. it actually worked out for the better though, because when i got the original slim there were no holiday bundles available and when i exchanged it they only had holiday bundles, so they let me exchange it for a holiday bundle...

it's like darklordjames said though, with toslink different manufacturers have different tolerances, and if you tried to plug the same cable in 10 toslink ports it's not going to fit exactly the same in all of them...
post #1487 of 1628
i got a 4g slim on black friday and a 250g hard drive for it. out of the box ive been having disc read issues. even games installed on the hard drive have disc read errors pop up after a freeze in game. i ultimately tested this by purchasing bfbc2 off of the marketplace and i get these disc read errors, "make sure the disc is clean" yadda yadda. point is, my games, accessories and console is brand new. i really dont know whats going on or what to do about it. can anyone shed some light?
post #1488 of 1628
Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd View Post

i got a 4g slim on black friday and a 250g hard drive for it. out of the box ive been having disc read issues. even games installed on the hard drive have disc read errors pop up after a freeze in game. i ultimately tested this by purchasing bfbc2 off of the marketplace and i get these disc read errors, "make sure the disc is clean" yadda yadda. point is, my games, accessories and console is brand new. i really dont know whats going on or what to do about it. can anyone shed some light?

So you've been having this problem since the gitgo and you haven't taken it back for an exchange or called MS support? I'm assuming you didn't get an extended warranty either. It's probably too late now as most stores have a 30-day policy for returns but you could give it a try. Sounds like it's a problem with the dvd player or laser. It's under warranty so if you can't get a store to exchange it for you, call MS support, no use fooling around with it.
post #1489 of 1628
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztony View Post

So you've been having this problem since the gitgo and you haven't taken it back for an exchange or called MS support? I'm assuming you didn't get an extended warranty either. It's probably too late now as most stores have a 30-day policy for returns but you could give it a try. Sounds like it's a problem with the dvd player or laser. It's under warranty so if you can't get a store to exchange it for you, call MS support, no use fooling around with it.

well i passed amazons return policy because i was waiting on my new tv to arrive. i got burglarized in mid november. i replaced everything i lost and the tv was the last to arrive about three weeks after i replaced my 360 and games. when i fired it up, halo reach was the first game i tried and it did not recognize the disc. i sent that back to microsoft for replacement as that is a widespread problem with the slim consoles. other games i replaced ive been playing and have had disc read errors. as ive said before, i purchased bfbc2 on the marketplace, which is a pure hard drive experience and am still getting disk read errors. i understand the console periodically checks the disc drive for activity. my errors occur when automatic game saves take place. this leads me to believe that the problem is torn between the hard drive and the disc drive. i will try to get the disk drive straight by air cleaning it and reattach the hard drive. ill report back with results since no one seems to have this problem. sucks being the ginea pig.
post #1490 of 1628
Well, was playing a game and all of a sudden I got red streaks all over the screen. I thought I'd power cycle the thing, but I can hear it boot up, but no video.

No RROD on it (yet), but is it even worth checking to see if it's my TV input (I have it hooked up with VGA right now and would have to dig through my basement to find the original component cable), or is it safe to assume it's the box?

I definitely have an older one....this is my second XBOX after the first one RROD'd on me, and that was way back before they extended the warranty to 3 years. In fact, I just went to XBOX Live and my standard warranty expired on Dec 28, 2007 and it's not eligible for repair? Or do I not get the 3 years because this is a replacement unit from my first RROD?

**sigh** Although I suppose 2 consoles in 5 years is not that bad.

Thankfully I have Fallout 3 and Uncharted 2 for the PS3 sitting here unopened, and I never did finish Mario Galaxy on the Wii (and I have Mario Galaxy 2 here as well). That'll keep me covered until I get together the cash for a new XBOX.
post #1491 of 1628
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Well, was playing a game and all of a sudden I got red streaks all over the screen. I thought I'd power cycle the thing, but I can hear it boot up, but no video.

No RROD on it (yet), but is it even worth checking to see if it's my TV input (I have it hooked up with VGA right now and would have to dig through my basement to find the original component cable), or is it safe to assume it's the box?

I definitely have an older one....this is my second XBOX after the first one RROD'd on me, and that was way back before they extended the warranty to 3 years. In fact, I just went to XBOX Live and my standard warranty expired on Dec 28, 2007 and it's not eligible for repair? Or do I not get the 3 years because this is a replacement unit from my first RROD?

**sigh** Although I suppose 2 consoles in 5 years is not that bad.

Thankfully I have Fallout 3 and Uncharted 2 for the PS3 sitting here unopened, and I never did finish Mario Galaxy on the Wii (and I have Mario Galaxy 2 here as well). That'll keep me covered until I get together the cash for a new XBOX.

No video is a lead-in to RRoD, particularly when preceded by graphic failure as you described. MS isn't going to fix this one for you, given the date you posted. I'd recommend doing LawDawg's (original, not "shimtastic") X-Clamp repair. Costs about $10 and should buy you 6-18+ more months, depending on how well you do the repair and how lucky you are.

In the meantime, I can't think of a better way to spend your time than playing Uncharted 2 and Fallout 3. Those are two of THE BEST games ever made on any console.
post #1492 of 1628
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Well, was playing a game and all of a sudden I got red streaks all over the screen. I thought I'd power cycle the thing, but I can hear it boot up, but no video.

No RROD on it (yet), but is it even worth checking to see if it's my TV input (I have it hooked up with VGA right now and would have to dig through my basement to find the original component cable), or is it safe to assume it's the box?

I definitely have an older one....this is my second XBOX after the first one RROD'd on me, and that was way back before they extended the warranty to 3 years. In fact, I just went to XBOX Live and my standard warranty expired on Dec 28, 2007 and it's not eligible for repair? Or do I not get the 3 years because this is a replacement unit from my first RROD?

**sigh** Although I suppose 2 consoles in 5 years is not that bad.

Thankfully I have Fallout 3 and Uncharted 2 for the PS3 sitting here unopened, and I never did finish Mario Galaxy on the Wii (and I have Mario Galaxy 2 here as well). That'll keep me covered until I get together the cash for a new XBOX.

I'm going to suggest you at least give MS a call. Who knows, they might just fix it for you for free.
The extended 3 year warranty was added after your xbox got the RROD but it started from the date you purchased it. At least that's they way it worked when mine went.
post #1493 of 1628
UPDATE.

i air cleaned the disk drive from the outside of the console. detached the hard drive and air cleaned that out too. none worked. and im not suprised as its a brand new console and hard drive.

what i did do was start saving games to the internal memory and bypassing the hard drive. i still download games to the hard drive and play off of them but i noticed the bulk of my freezes were occuring at times when auto save attempts were being made. on day one this is working for now. we'll see how long it holds out.
post #1494 of 1628
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post
No video is a lead-in to RRoD, particularly when preceded by graphic failure as you described. MS isn't going to fix this one for you, given the date you posted. I'd recommend doing LawDawg's (original, not "shimtastic") X-Clamp repair. Costs about $10 and should buy you 6-18+ more months, depending on how well you do the repair and how lucky you are.
Ok, I am going to attempt this fix. I am following this PDF, which from research is the best, most detailed one regarding his fix.

Technically, I am not RROD yet (just no video), so a little concerned about step 7 which relies on lights. Guess I assume without the fans on, I'll get the 2 red lights once it overheats (and fixes the solder joints).

Well, off to Lowes I go. I have all the parts but the nylon washers. Figures. Wish me luck!

EDIT: Well, apparently I've made it through 38 years of life without buying a #8 torx drive. That's the first time in like a decade I've needed a tool I don't have. And Lowe's is closed! Guess I'm stuck til tomorrow. The wife is thrilled I have xbox parts all over the kitchen table
post #1495 of 1628
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Ok, I am going to attempt this fix. I am following this PDF, which from research is the best, most detailed one regarding his fix.

Technically, I am not RROD yet (just no video), so a little concerned about step 7 which relies on lights. Guess I assume without the fans on, I'll get the 2 red lights once it overheats (and fixes the solder joints).

Well, off to Lowes I go. I have all the parts but the nylon washers. Figures. Wish me luck!

EDIT: Well, apparently I've made it through 38 years of life without buying a #8 torx drive. That's the first time in like a decade I've needed a tool I don't have. And Lowe's is closed! Guess I'm stuck til tomorrow. The wife is thrilled I have xbox parts all over the kitchen table

The PDF you show is the exact fix you should be using.

Yes, as you have no error (yet) just wait for it to show 2 red lights.

T-8 Torx is not a common tool to need...and now I have 12 of them.

Take a $100 bill out of your pocket and show it to the wife. Tell her that's exactly how much you'll be saving by doing the fix yourself over sending it to MS. That should change her attitude in a hurry.

If you have any issues or questions on the repair, you can either ask here or shoot me a PM. Good luck!
post #1496 of 1628
Well, it seems to be working. I must've broken a transistor off the motherboard cause I found one laying on the table but couldn't figure out where it went (there' about 250 on the board, and I couldn't find a missing space).

But put it back together anyways, and it appears to be working ok. I did get a small video glitch where I got some blue streaks for a few seconds and they went away and haven't seen them since.

Hopefully it holds for awhile
post #1497 of 1628
Just bought a new xbox 360 slim with kinect on Friday. Today when I was gone the wife was going to play Dance Central and she dropped the game box on the open tray and now it will no longer close. I've tried wiggling the tray, but can't get it to go back in. It looks like the piece that comes up to keep the disc in place gets in the way. Anyone had any success with something like this. I'm not sure if Best Buy would exchange or not, and really don't want to go a month without it by sending to Microsoft.
post #1498 of 1628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amays32 View Post

Just bought a new xbox 360 slim with kinect on Friday. Today when I was gone the wife was going to play Dance Central and she dropped the game box on the open tray and now it will no longer close. I've tried wiggling the tray, but can't get it to go back in. It looks like the piece that comes up to keep the disc in place gets in the way. Anyone had any success with something like this. I'm not sure if Best Buy would exchange or not, and really don't want to go a month without it by sending to Microsoft.


Can you elaborate on the part highlighted? Sort of hard to tell exactly what part you mean.
post #1499 of 1628
I know this is probably a stupid question, but I can't find the answer in the manual and 3 of us couldn't figure it out. How do you choose to play 2-player mode or multi player mode? Every time we choose the mode we want, it asks us to sign out player 1 or create avatar, etc. We've tried all the options and nothing works! Can you please tell me what we need to do to play together?

Thank you!
post #1500 of 1628
I have a question about HDCP. I have a Sony receiver (is-1000) that has an xbox 360 connected to it and from the receiver outputs an hdmi cable to my Samsung television (LN52A850). What I'm curious about is that when the xbox 360 is displaye on the tv the Sony receiver doesn't light up saying that it's connected through hdmi all the time. After some reading I found it was because it has to be an HDCP compliant device for it to light up. So is the xbox 360 to blame? How do I fix this problem? I know it's not the receiver or the television because when I want to play a blu-ray I go to the main menu of the receiver and the light always turns on. In my opinion it's got to be the xbox but is there a way to fix this?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › General XBox 360 problem Thread: