or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays › The OFFICIAL Panasonic 26", 30", 34" WX15 HDTV Thread...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The OFFICIAL Panasonic 26", 30", 34" WX15 HDTV Thread... - Page 9

post #241 of 730
Those of us that are seeing the "ghost rings" beside of objects at times, what is the technical name of this? I'm going to call panasonic and try and ask them about the problem.
post #242 of 730
I think a small amount of ghosting on the edges may be normal for many CRTs. Now that I know what to look for, I noticed it on almost every CRT in CC. I also noticed it on my parents 35" Sony SDTV. I did however exchange my 26wx15 for that problem, while it still has some, its much better than my first one.
post #243 of 730
Projection CRTs are often out of convergence especially near the outer edges. Sometimes direct-view CRTs suffer from this but usually only very old and tired ones. Adjusting the yokes usually just shifts the problem around the screen.

ALL CRTs have reduced focus towards the outer edges, especially flat-screens! Sony is better at this.

Excessive use of the SHARPNESS control and VSM also cause ringing (exaggerated vertical lines or "ghosting"). Turn it down to 20% or less, and turn off VSM if possible! Calibrate with DVE.
post #244 of 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Projection CRTs are often out of convergence especially near the outer edges. Sometimes direct-view CRTs suffer from this but usually only very old and tired ones. Adjusting the yokes usually just shifts the problem around the screen.

ALL CRTs have reduced focus towards the outer edges, especially flat-screens! Sony is better at this.

Excessive use of the SHARPNESS control and VSM also cause ringing (exaggerated vertical lines or "ghosting"). Turn it down to 20% or less, and turn off VSM if possible! Calibrate with DVE.

where can i get this "dve" program i hear so much about? does it fix overscan?
post #245 of 730
has ne one seen any red blooimg on thier 26wx15? i just got the last one in stock at my local CC today, in fact it was the dispaly model. its most noticeable when i play halo and the recticle changes from blue to red. the blue is sharp but the red blooms out. anyone have ne ideas? is this normal or is my unit defective? i really dont feel like taking it back, that would be worst case because these tv's are a rarity now.
post #246 of 730
NOSintake......
The DVE Calibration DVD, as well as the Avia Calibration DVD, are available from Amazon.com....I've also heard that BlockBuster Video rents the Avia disk....Both are excellent, and are, IMHO, absolutely REQUIRED for optimum HDTV/surround sound enjoyment (The Avia disk includes audio calibration for Home Theatre....)
Good Luck!
post #247 of 730
AVIA is expensive and contains a lot of advanced stuff most people will never use. I like it for the "color decoder" and "chroma delay" test patterns. I still keep the old Video Essentials (VE was also expensive) handy for LFE level setup (get a sound-level meter too).

I've seen DVE in the past at Best Buy for around $30. It has the best sharpness test pattern I've ever used, and it will allow you to dial-in the overscan. These discs do not fix things automatically for you. They provide the tools (video test patterns, audio test tones, and great demo scenes) for you to do the job yourself. If you are not capable then hire an ISF tech.
post #248 of 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by adman05 View Post

has ne one seen any red blooimg on thier 26wx15? its most noticeable when i play halo and the recticle changes from blue to red. the blue is sharp but the red blooms out. anyone have ne ideas? is this normal or is my unit defective?

Most TV's on the market have red push. You'll notice this on flesh tones and actors wearing red clothing. Unless someone here knows how to hack the color decoder in the WX15 service menu, all you can do is turn down the color control. Yep, your blues and greens will have to suffer unfortunately. This is explained very well by Joe Kane in VE.
post #249 of 730
AVFile, what about those of us that are having problems with a slight ghost of figures on screen appearing to the right of the objects. for me its mostly just noticable on humans(or the main focal object). Its not from them moving, and its not from having the contrast to high. It almost like how you see those pictures that are ment to be viewed with those blue and red 3D glasses. You got the main image and then faint blue and red images to the sides of them. Its not that far to the side...only like 1cm, and its only noticeable on the right side of objects and the outline of them.
post #250 of 730
jmanunc, I've never seen anything that bad before. If it were like 1 or 2 mm then I would say excessive sharpness, but at 1 cm sounds like the convergence is way off. Especially if the ghosts are a different color than the main object? You need to get a tech in to adjust the yokes, I think, but if it is localized to a small area of the screen they probably won't be able to fix it. If it's all over the screen then easy fix.
post #251 of 730
The ghost arnt really different colors than the main objects, just extreamly faint, but yet very noticable at times. Their was even one instance when on my new channel it was showing scores for a basketball game, and i could see a faint ghostly image of the numbers scrolling completely across the screen. Thats the worst ive noticed it, however nothing else has ever come close to that. Mostly just like what i meantioned...about 1 cm(ish) to the right.
post #252 of 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

AVIA is expensive and contains a lot of advanced stuff most people will never use. I like it for the "color decoder" and "chroma delay" test patterns. I still keep the old Video Essentials (VE was also expensive) handy for LFE level setup (get a sound-level meter too).

I've seen DVE in the past at Best Buy for around $30. It has the best sharpness test pattern I've ever used, and it will allow you to dial-in the overscan. These discs do not fix things automatically for you. They provide the tools (video test patterns, audio test tones, and great demo scenes) for you to do the job yourself. If you are not capable then hire an ISF tech.

wait...dve can fix overscan? ive already noticed it on normal tv, and i havent even gotten a chance to see it in HD yet
post #253 of 730
Has anybody had any trouble fixing overscan in 480P FULL mode. When I take the INHD Tune-Up overscan pattern and have the cable box down-convert to 480P the necessary fields for overscan are greyed out. The only one that is available is the one that controls horizontal width, but not H-Position or V-Width or V-Position (can't remember the names right now). I was able to do 1080i overscan with no problem. Anybody have any ideas?
post #254 of 730
I've been lurking here for a while and thought I'd contribute. I'm a 34wx15 owner who's getting annoyed by the ghosting I'm experiencing with my set. I've taken this picture from Master & Commander. I find this film really highlights the ghosting problem as it's most noticeable in darker images.

Go to: img509.imageshack.us/img509/1073/panaprob7zh.jpg (can't post image since it's my first post)

First, let me state this is NOT a DVD issue. The DVD itself looks fine on most other televisions. This image problem is apparent on all DVDs as well as my HD cable box, and XBOX 360 when using the 34wx15.

This image doesn't really do the problem justice, but it gives you an idea of what many of us our experiencing. First, look at the rope on the left side of the image. You'll see a second ghosted rope immediately to the right. It's faint in my picture (limits of a cheap digital camera) but visible. Also look at the two characters. See how the left side of their coast are faded? Again, it's more noticeable with two real eyeballs then a poor digital shot, but it gives you an idea

This ghosting occurs all the time, but it's most noticeable in darker images. It's particularly annoying in darker shows/films as you lose much of the detail from the image because of what's best described as a blurring effect. In technical terms this would look like a chroma/luma delay problem, but my understanding was that's the result of mismatched cable lengths.

I have tried switching video cables with my set. The image improved when I started using premium monster cables versus budget ones, but the ghosting hasn't gone away.

I unfortunately purchased my set from Sears. I didn't know it at the time, but Sears gets a discounted price from Panasonic because Sears uses it's own techs to service the sets. Because of this I cannot have a Panasonic tech look at my under warranty set unless I pay for it.

A Sears technician was at my house and did next to nothing. It was clearly the first time he had seen my model as he couldn't figure out the remote. All he did was adjust the brightness/contrast settings and degauss the set. He didn't even know about the service menu or how to access it (I showed him) and advised he didn't know what any of the settings did. So in the end he did nothing.

He basically told me that the ghosting would appear to be a limitation of the set. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with him as floor room sets seem to have similar issues, but it's hard to tell with the bright images under even brighter lights.

I know I won't have the perfect picture at this price level, but the issues I'm experiencing are too great to ignore. Too much detail is lost in darker films. I would love for someone have an actual Panasonic rep/tech look at their set and address the issue.

Hee hee, sorry if my first post makes me sound like an angry old man. I do love my set, but the ghosting issue is starting to drive me a little mad and I'd love to see a solution.
post #255 of 730
^^Yep thats the exact same problem i'm having. I'm going to call panasonic sometime today or tomorrow and see about getting someone here to check out my set. It was a christmas gift to me, so i dont know if i can provide any proof of when it was purchased or if its still under warranty. It was purchased withen the last month i know.
post #256 of 730
here are a few pictures from Star Wars:Revenge of the Sith that i took. Its not the best of quality but i think you can still see the repeating problem....



You can see the ghost shadow pretty much outlining his entire face.



Didnt show up as good on the photo as it actually is, but to the right of both the ships. (sorry about the blue dot)



To the right of the M.



To the right of her face, most notable around cheek area and chin.
post #257 of 730
Yikes! My guess is an IC has failed or defaulted to some horrible value.

Definitely have a real tech who knows how to debug modern TV circuits look at this. I think they should be able to fix it if they have schematics and can trace the cause. Panasonic will probably have info or bulletins about it in their database. Insist that someone with access to this info service your set!

One more thing to try is switching your source from 480p to 480i or vice/versa to see if the ghosts move.

I have also seen ghosts like this in some old flaky computer monitors... perhaps a failed power-supply component.
post #258 of 730
I would hope it's something that they can fix, but it seems like a lot of us our having the exact same problem for it to be just a bad circuit in a few sets.
post #259 of 730
Hey guys, I'm new here and I just recently picked up the CT-30WX15 and I was in the service menu working on the xbox360 when I accidently hit some buttons and my numbers are all screwed up now! Does anyone have the defaults written down that they could post here? It would help me out alot, specifically the variable HTRAP, but a few others were messed up as well so if you could post the whole list that would be great. Also if anyone has any settings they use thier xbox360 with for this tv post them as well, cause I'm new to this whole thing. THANKS!
post #260 of 730
My HTRAP is set on 1A.
post #261 of 730
If you search this thread ( including posts by me ) you will find several people have posted THEIR default values. Note the values vary depending on the input format ( 480 / 1080 ) and I also wouldn't doubt if some of these settings were tweaked at the factory for your particular set so YMMV with my defaults.
post #262 of 730
I'm trying to calibrate for overscan and I did Horizontal Width just fine, but there doesn't seem to be one for Verticle width. Someone mentioned that it was V-RAS but that can't be right, that seems to have some weird page peeling effects on the top or bottom, not the actual width. Any suggestions?
post #263 of 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows95 View Post

I would hope it's something that they can fix, but it seems like a lot of us our having the exact same problem for it to be just a bad circuit in a few sets.

It could be a bad batch of IC's or bad version of firmware. It could also depend on some particular user settings or scenario to crop up.

For example: every single Pioneer Elite RPTV in the x30 model series had a problem lurking with the CRT drive cards, that took over 2 years to solve. Some people never saw it, and some people had their $6k sets "fixed" 4 times before getting the true fix.
post #264 of 730
ok, im still new at this whole ghost thing...so is it something that only happens interlaced video feeds(normal tv, non-progressive scan dvd players)? or does it carry over to HDTV also?

and im also noticing ghosting to the right of images. its more noticable on still images than it is moving ones though
post #265 of 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSintake View Post

ok, im still new at this whole ghost thing...so is it something that only happens interlaced video feeds(normal tv, non-progressive scan dvd players)? or does it carry over to HDTV also?

and im also noticing ghosting to the right of images. its more noticable on still images than it is moving ones though

It's visible in all modes. Bright, colourful images hide the ghosting, but in darker scenes it's quite visible and results in substantial loss of detail.
post #266 of 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows95 View Post

It's visible in all modes. Bright, colourful images hide the ghosting, but in darker scenes it's quite visible and results in substantial loss of detail.

so is it something that can be fixed thru the service menu? or just something u have to live with? im still trying to understand everything
post #267 of 730
A Panasonic tech came to the house to look at the bowing problem that I've had with the CT30WX15. To recap, my problem was a bowing (like an inverted bowl) at the top but not at the bottom of the screen. The tech adjusted the deflection yokes and now the problem is much less severe although not entirely cured. He said that if the yokes are adjusted too much then the bottom line would begin to suffer and there would be convergence problems. He also stated that there is no adjustment in the service menu to fix this problem. He said that this is a common problem with widescreen CRTs from all manufacturers.

All in all, I'm satisfied with the improvement as I can hardly see the bowing anymore.
post #268 of 730
Hello, I posted a review earlier but I noteced some of you are interested in people picture settings(brightness, colo, etc). I also noticed some seem the same, so I decided to post mine since its a bit different, and it is the best setting I could get on my TV using AVIA.

Picture: 31
Brightness: 51
Color: 35
Tint: 32
Sharpness 15

Note the drastic difference between my Picture and my Brightness. The picture is dark on TV by default, and the white level needed to be adjusted so high to obtain the propor color. The picture should always be set low, at least lower than the point of blooming(when the brights begin to bleed or expand). I also found that the sharpness was pretty much useless when you have VM turned on, VM pretty much quite effective at improving image quality.
post #269 of 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSintake View Post

so is it something that can be fixed thru the service menu? or just something u have to live with? im still trying to understand everything

Don't know. Still trying to figure out the cause of the problem. I don't think it's something we should have to live with, but who knows. I haven't had a chance to speak with Panasonic again about the problem.

I don't think there's going to be a service menu fix. I've fooled around with almost all the value to no avail. This is going to probably require at least a visit by a tech if not some hardware replacement.
post #270 of 730
How do you turn VM on? What does it do?

Also I have been told DVE for HDTV can only be used if you have D-VHS. What should I use then to calibrate the set if I only have an HTPC connection and I want to calibrate the HDMI (1080i) mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorjb007 View Post

Hello, I posted a review earlier but I noteced some of you are interested in people picture settings(brightness, colo, etc). I also noticed some seem the same, so I decided to post mine since its a bit different, and it is the best setting I could get on my TV using AVIA.

Picture: 31
Brightness: 51
Color: 35
Tint: 32
Sharpness 15

Note the drastic difference between my Picture and my Brightness. The picture is dark on TV by default, and the white level needed to be adjusted so high to obtain the propor color. The picture should always be set low, at least lower than the point of blooming(when the brights begin to bleed or expand). I also found that the sharpness was pretty much useless when you have VM turned on, VM pretty much quite effective at improving image quality.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays › The OFFICIAL Panasonic 26", 30", 34" WX15 HDTV Thread...