I have been a member of this forum for a long time but never visited this thread until two weeks ago. (I finally decided to upgrade our home theater from a flat panel to projector).
I just stumbled upon this thread on another community. Thanks to member Yakuja from community MediaSmartServer.net (Thank you!).
So, here are some notes from my build:
1. I found a board with the same SKU# (174-278) but different model#(1707208) at my local HD (Redmond, WA). I was completely confused as the tag says it is from Boise Cascades (not Do-Able). HD website finds the original model number and claims the boards are available at the store but I could not find it in any of the three HS stores I visited.
According to the customer service, HD will never have two separate products under one SKU (even if the model is different unless they are differen colors). After bit of deliberation, I ended up buying the board.
(Note: HD guys were very helpful in cutting the board. The height is already 49" so no need to to get the height adjusted. By the time I checked out and loaded the board in the truck, somehow the board got scratched
I ended up buying another one! Take a blanket guys; see another note below).
2. From the get-go, I decided to hang the board with the mirror hanging clips rather than french cleat. I found the clips in Hardware isle at HD under the "hard to find items". (Note: I ended up buying 8 clips in two trips to make the screen flat). Like the original post, I painted the clips white (Rustoleum White spray paint). I also bought bunch of nylon spacers. BOM picture attached.
3. I was most confused
about the frame. I am sure velvet will look nice but I was not sure how will I mount the frame without damaging the cloth. I decided to paint it with flat black paint rather than velvet. I found a pre-painted 1"x2.5" mdf trim in the moulding section. This saved me the priming and the black came out really nice in one coat.
Again HD guys were very nice and cut the moulding for me. Only caution is that you will need to adjust for dimensions if you are using one of the threads about 1x3 (you will end up with 1" extra on the short cuts). I painted the moulding with flat black and left it to dry overnight.
1. When I went to get the board, it was snowing in my area. By the time I reached home, the board was all deformed (wavy)!
I laid the board flat on the floor and spread a blanket on top of the board. Finally, I loaded it with bunch of old manuals and IT books
By morning the board was relatively flat.
2. I used 8 mirror clips to hang the board (with four clips the board was visibly bulging in places).
3. I pre-drilled the moulding every 6" (maybe an overkill) and mounted the trim around the board (butt end). BTW, I used #6 1 1/2" wood screws for all installation.
4. Finally I touched the screws on the moulding with black flat paint. Final result is attached as well.
Only change I need to do is to adjust the lower moulding for the mirror clips. I installed the top trim and sides first. The mirror clips push the frame out by 1/16" of an inch. I dont see anything wrong with the picture (but I am not an expert). My family loves the setup! Thanks to you guys!!