or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 5

post #121 of 35401
Hi all I am looking for some input on these speakers. I am new to this home audio. I got these from crutchfield some time ago. What are your thoughts / imput on sound quality from them? They are in a basement w/6.5 ft celing approx 9ft x 20 ft wide /long.

Here are the details-
I have a Pioneer 43 in. Plasma PDP4350
5 - POLK RM6200's
Polk PSW250
powered by a Sony STRDE845


Thanks - John
post #122 of 35401
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb0362 View Post

Hi all I am looking for some input on these speakers. I am new to this home audio. I got these from crutchfield some time ago. What are your thoughts / imput on sound quality from them? They are in a basement w/6.5 ft celing approx 9ft x 20 ft wide /long.

Thanks - John

Maybe I'm missing something, but what speakers?
post #123 of 35401
Thanks - I added the speakers in.
post #124 of 35401
Polk Audio R15 Black
Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker
Sold as pairs

Polk: R15 on sale at Out****.com
Out**** #: 3292811
Building incredible-sounding speakers at reasonable prices has made Polk Audio a powerhouse in the audio industry.
Limit 1 per Household.

In stock, same day shipping
Not available for export.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Detailed Description | Tell a friend| Warranty Info
larger view
Price: $ 39.98
post #125 of 35401
Have read some posts outlining pros and cons of banana plugs. I have R15 rears and will be getting the R30 fronts. Would banana plugs work with this? 14 gauge wire work with this?
post #126 of 35401
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandrag View Post

Have read some posts outlining pros and cons of banana plugs. I have R15 rears and will be getting the R30 fronts. Would banana plugs work with this? 14 gauge wire work with this?

Bannana plugs will work with both of those speakers. You have to remove the plastic piece in the center of the back of the binding post. If I remember correctly, you have to temporarily completely unscrew the "nut" to do this. Partsexpress.com has bannana plugs if you need them.
post #127 of 35401
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhaus View Post

Bannana plugs will work with both of those speakers. You have to remove the plastic piece in the center of the back of the binding post. If I remember correctly, you have to completely unscrew the "nut" to do this. Partsexpress.com has bannana plugs if you need them.

Thanks. Is there any site that explains the set up step-by-step?
There seem to be different types of banana plugs (binding etc.). What are the differences?
post #128 of 35401
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandrag View Post

Thanks. Is there any site that explains the set up step-by-step?
There seem to be different types of banana plugs (binding etc.). What are the differences?

Unfortunately, I know very little about them. I have seen several threads here about them but didn't follow the threads. Try a search here on this site. You might also want to call partsexpress on their toll free line. They might be able to guide you.
post #129 of 35401
I like these and got them cheaper from RS, will fit 12g wire, but no problem for 16g.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...umber=091-1165

Not every banana is a tight fit, so make sure before you order that they work. That's why I went to RS.
post #130 of 35401
Quote:
Is there any site that explains the set up step-by-step?

You don't need a web site. Banana plugs are very simple to use. I just go for the inexpensive plugs, no instructions really needed. Loosen the screw, stick the wire in the back, tighten the screw to hold the wire in place. Plugs into the back of the speaker terminal. Viola, that's it!

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=090-465

I got 10 each in red and black. 55 cents each. Had them for two years now, no problems, work great!

The plugs Ron linked to work pretty much the same. Unscrew the top case and you'll find a plug with 2 compression screws. Stick the wire in, tighten the screws and replace the outer casing by twisting it back in place. If you order one, you'll see how easy it is. They sell them at Radio Shack also.
post #131 of 35401
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

You don't need a web site. Banana plugs are very simple to use. I just go for the inexpensive plugs, no instructions really needed. Loosen the screw, stick the wire in the back, tighten the screw to hold the wire in place. Plugs into the back of the speaker terminal. Viola, that's it!

These plugs are for all speakers including center and sub?
post #132 of 35401
Quote:
These plugs are for all speakers including center and sub?

For my system they are for all speakers EXCEPT the sub. I use the low level input on the sub with a subwoofer cable.

The r15 and r30 have binding post that accept banana plugs so yes those banana plugs will work fine.
post #133 of 35401
This is kind of weird idea
Have anyone use R50 as a center channel? R-50 is M-T-M designed. I bought 3 pairs of R50 while ago and never have a change to use it. Now I'm thinking about use R50 as a CC and others R-50 for surrounds. With R-50 all around sa-cd music will sound much better and the money I save on real CC will go to power amp.
post #134 of 35401
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpcasso View Post

Now this is exactly what makes this hobby worthwhile. Its not who has the most expensive , prettiest , largest most popular equipment etc etc, but the endless hours of enjoyment it brings to you and your family. The looks in thier eyes and comments are simply priceless!

Well said pimpcasso! I couldn't agree with you more.
post #135 of 35401
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViDeOaUdIo View Post

This is kind of weird idea
Have anyone use R50 as a center channel? R-50 is M-T-M designed. I bought 3 pairs of R50 while ago and never have a change to use it. Now I'm thinking about use R50 as a CC and others R-50 for surrounds. With R-50 all around sa-cd music will sound much better and the money I save on real CC will go to power amp.

It will sound great if you have the space...
post #136 of 35401
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViDeOaUdIo View Post

This is kind of weird idea
Have anyone use R50 as a center channel? R-50 is M-T-M designed. I bought 3 pairs of R50 while ago and never have a change to use it. Now I'm thinking about use R50 as a CC and others R-50 for surrounds. With R-50 all around sa-cd music will sound much better and the money I save on real CC will go to power amp.

I use (5) R30s like that and am happier with that setup than when I had the CS1 center channel speaker. Some of the center channel speakers have rear ports so even if they have identical drivers they sound a little different than the other speakers. I say try it, your idea isn't that weird.
post #137 of 35401
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

For my system they are for all speakers EXCEPT the sub. I use the low level input on the sub with a subwoofer cable.

What is a subwoofer cable? Specific type of plug?
post #138 of 35401
75 ohm RCA cable, hopefully well-shielded

Most any decent RCA cable can be interchanged
post #139 of 35401
subwoofer cable carries the low frequencies to the sub. Generall a well shielded 75ohm cable with RCA's on each end. Mine are 15-20 feet long. because I have the sub located by the couch hidden from view. It connects to the sub out on the receiver and goes to the line input(s) on the subwoofer.

All typical subwoofer cables.

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/ATSSAC20S
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=181-642
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=189-300
http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-...m/IXOSXFK01500


Do you have any equipment yet or are you putting together your first system?
post #140 of 35401
Hi,

I just discovered this Polk Audio thread. Good idea!

I've owned Polks for quite a while. Last year I completed my home theater comprised almost entirely of Polk speakers except for the subwoofers.
It's a mixture of vintage SDA's, some recently discontinued f/x models, and some relatively newly released In-Walls.

If you're interested click on the link in my signature.

Larry
post #141 of 35401
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

For my system they are for all speakers EXCEPT the sub. I use the low level input on the sub with a subwoofer cable.

The r15 and r30 have binding post that accept banana plugs so yes those banana plugs will work fine.

They fit? I've got R30s up front, and my bananas wouldn't sink far enough in to keep from leaning over and possibly touching. Since they're metal-bodied (yeah, I'm a dumbass) I couldn't use them for fear of a short. I didn't try it with the R15s, though I fear a similar result.

Here's the plugs I used: http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchan...ode=AHH_Banana
post #142 of 35401
I hate those GLS plugs, they're too long and bulky, plus metal. I have two pairs at home that I used with my Energy satellites but I much preferred the cheaper dayton plugs. Plus the dayton cases are not metal so there is no fear of touching and causing a short.

You are taking the plastic cover off the back of the binding post on your Polks, right? I'm sure you are.

http://www.polkaudio.com/education/f...?article=plugs
post #143 of 35401
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Do you have any equipment yet or are you putting together your first system?

Very first system! And excited as hell

Bought the Mirage S10 sub, Polk R15 rears and CSi25 center. Buying Polk R30 fronts. Still debating between HK and Denon for receiver
post #144 of 35401
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandrag View Post

Very first system! And excited as hell

Bought the Mirage S10 sub, Polk R15 rears and CSi25 center. Buying Polk R30 fronts. Still debating between HK and Denon for receiver


Same setup as mine, minus the sub. I ordered the Dayton 12". I am leaning towards the H/K avr 235 for a receiver. I can't wait to hear the Polks!
post #145 of 35401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper94 View Post

Same setup as mine, minus the sub. I ordered the Dayton 12". I am leaning towards the H/K avr 235 for a receiver. I can't wait to hear the Polks!

Receiver choice is tough. So many good choices: HK, Denon, Panny, Pio, Onkyo, Yamaha. Think I have it down to HK vs. Denon. But now still choices on models...
post #146 of 35401
I am upgarding from 2.2.1 stereo 6.1 surround setup.
I will keep Monitor 40 for as front and Sony sub; the centre and surrounds will be either from RM6752, RM 6751 or RM6802, RM6801. Can someone let me know if RM6800 will be worth $250 permium over RM6750. How does this compare to CS1+Monitor 30 which are compare pricewise to RM6750 but way bigger in size?
post #147 of 35401
I forget the # but I have surrounds RM6751? And the center RM6752? In a smaller room they sound good. But I change to 4 R15 and will upgrade the center to a CS1. But just with the R15 it sound alot better =louder. I use a VRP 12 sub. on a HK 240. Enough for the room it's in. So imo if you have the room get the Monitor 30. I would use the RM6751 is space is an issue. They sound good but not that loud JME
post #148 of 35401
Surrounds:RM6701/RM6801
Center:RM6702/RM6802

RM6702 costs about half as RM6802
post #149 of 35401
What are the difference between Polk Monitor bookshelf and Polk RTI bookshelf speakers? What retail stores can you buy Polk RTi speakers at?
post #150 of 35401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will0329 View Post

What are the difference between Polk Monitor bookshelf and Polk RTI bookshelf speakers? What retail stores can you buy Polk RTi speakers at?

I'm pretty sure they use the same drivers, but the crossover is upgraded in the RTi series, and the build quality of the cabinet is a bit more robust. I've torn into the RTi/CSi and FXi series, and the quality is excellent. I've only been told the Monitor series is what it is (dealers, forum, etc...).
Circus City sells the Monitor series, and dropped the RTi series b/c of cost - at least here in Ohio.

Check out the Hz response, weight, crossovers, and dimensions.
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/specs/monitor30/
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/specs/rti4/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread