or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 511

post #15301 of 34741
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post

I'm going to turn off my Emotiva emails. They just sent me an email for the new XPR-2 at 600Wx2... Crap. I thought I was satisfied for now... This one will be hard to pass up. May have to sell my XPA-2 and put this on my Polk RTiA9s. biggrin.gif

Emotiva XPR-2 600W x 2 Reference Stereo Amplifier

You looking to power your neighbors speakers too? I think I could live with one of those too but probably not the price tag.
Edited by XStanleyX - 12/13/12 at 4:53pm
post #15302 of 34741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerpilot View Post

Those Lsi's are beautiful! I hope to work my way up to those someday!

You'll get there. Hopefully you won't have to get as old as I am. frown.gif
post #15303 of 34741
Yes those LSis are some beautiful speakers. I think they may be the most attractive speakers in the Polk line-up.

Nice man, nice! Now you can buy my XPA-2... wink.gif
post #15304 of 34741
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post

Yes those LSis are some beautiful speakers. I think they may be the most attractive speakers in the Polk line-up.
Nice man, nice! Now you can buy my XPA-2... wink.gif

I think the A9's are gorgeous too. I damn near went for those. I'll have to wait a few weeks to buy an amp cause I done spent most of my play money.
Sucks having to wait but I'll get there.
post #15305 of 34741
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post

I'm going to turn off my Emotiva emails. They just sent me an email for the new XPR-2 at 600Wx2... Crap. I thought I was satisfied for now... This one will be hard to pass up. May have to sell my XPA-2 and put this on my Polk RTiA9s. biggrin.gif

Emotiva XPR-2 600W x 2 Reference Stereo Amplifier

You might as well just get some XPR 1's at 1000 w each:)
post #15306 of 34741
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post

I'm going to turn off my Emotiva emails. They just sent me an email for the new XPR-2 at 600Wx2... Crap. I thought I was satisfied for now... This one will be hard to pass up. May have to sell my XPA-2 and put this on my Polk RTiA9s. biggrin.gif

Emotiva XPR-2 600W x 2 Reference Stereo Amplifier

That things look mean..............in a good way...wink.gif

I just purchased a PJ and screen (finally). So, HT budget is completely gone.........rolleyes.gif
post #15307 of 34741
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

That things look mean..............in a good way...wink.gif
I just purchased a PJ and screen (finally). So, HT budget is completely gone.........rolleyes.gif

Yeah, and it looks like it needs a small nuclear reactor to power it.
post #15308 of 34741
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

Yeah, and it looks like it needs a small nuclear reactor to power it.

LOL.....I was just thinking exactly the same.

wink.gif
post #15309 of 34741
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

So, what kind of amp are you using for the 15" driver?

I am using a spare channel of a QSC GX3. One channel feeds the sub the other my center.

I like you paint it to match the walls!

Appreciate the complement. This was a compromise. I was originally going with black. But when I introduced the wife to the Tuba eek.gif

Wow, that is a maze inside that box.............tongue.gif
How much does this sub weight in total?

I would guess with the driver <100lbs.

And, how many did you build?

Just one for now. Planning on building a taller thinner version to compliment the shorter fat one.

Don't tell me that just one........wink.gif
post #15310 of 34741
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

If I buy new it will be a 3 channel but if I stumble over one on craiglist it can be a 2 or 3 channel.

I would suggest researching PRO amps. A great deal of bang for the buck. Not everyone's cup of tea but certainly an option worth perusing.
post #15311 of 34741
After listening to the lsi15's today I've realized my receiver is pushing these things just fine. I'm sure an amp will be better but since I have been drooling over a HSU VTF-15H
I think I may put an amp purchase behind the sub. I'd like to get something near the bass I get in my car. If that's even possible. Seems like I'm always changing my mind.
My son says I'm a 20 year old trapped inside an old mans body.
post #15312 of 34741
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

After listening to the lsi15's today I've realized my receiver is pushing these things just fine. I'm sure an amp will be better but since I have been drooling over a HSU VTF-15H
I think I may put an amp purchase behind the sub. I'd like to get something near the bass I get in my car. If that's even possible. Seems like I'm always changing my mind.
My son says I'm a 20 year old trapped inside an old mans body.

What receiver? And just because you think its pushing them fine doesn't mean you wont blow the amp section in your AVR......

Keep the volume low IMHO and be VERY careful...
post #15313 of 34741
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

What receiver? And just because you think its pushing them fine doesn't mean you wont blow the amp section in your AVR......
Keep the volume low IMHO and be VERY careful...

It's a Marantz SR7005. No, I'm not pushing it. -20 is giving me enough volume to enjoy. I've been doing this long enough to know how it
works with hungry speakers but thanks for your concern.
Edited by XStanleyX - 12/13/12 at 7:43pm
post #15314 of 34741
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

After listening to the lsi15's today I've realized my receiver is pushing these things just fine. I'm sure an amp will be better but since I have been drooling over a HSU VTF-15H
I think I may put an amp purchase behind the sub. I'd like to get something near the bass I get in my car. If that's even possible. Seems like I'm always changing my mind.
My son says I'm a 20 year old trapped inside an old mans body.

Aren't we all brother...
post #15315 of 34741
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post

Aren't we all brother...

Another prisoner trapped in an old body. You are so right. At least we don't have to be part of the rat race any longer.
post #15316 of 34741
Ya the big worry on the LSi is that yes you will get sound out of them and it will sound fine but as you push around you may find youself clipping or if you kids or someone turns it up louder than you are used to or it drives into more channels harder. I would go with the amp first more out of safety for the speakers / receiver than sound quality. You hear alot of guys with the lower impedance speakers figure out after years of running them they were under powered. Blow a tweeter this year, amp goes bad next year that kind of stuff.
post #15317 of 34741
Quote:
Originally Posted by PubFiction View Post

Ya the big worry on the LSi is that yes you will get sound out of them and it will sound fine but as you push around you may find youself clipping or if you kids or someone turns it up louder than you are used to or it drives into more channels harder. I would go with the amp first more out of safety for the speakers / receiver than sound quality. You hear alot of guys with the lower impedance speakers figure out after years of running them they were under powered. Blow a tweeter this year, amp goes bad next year that kind of stuff.

Yep, I know. No kids in my place. I won't get anywhere near clipping at the volume I'm running at. The only time I get near reference level is when I watch a blu-ray. I won't be doing any of that til after I get an amp.
I'll have an amp in less than two months. I've always listened to music at moderate levels.
post #15318 of 34741
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post


Between those AVR's I wouldnt go with the 1913 and if the 2112CI doesnt have either Audyssey MultiEQ XT or pre-outs I would go with the 709 (or even 809).
Personally I am NOT a Denon fan, had one, didnt like it, sold it. I have been running my Integra (higher line of Onkyo) for 4 years I think at this point and plan to replace it with either the 709 or 809.

Just pulled the trigger for 709.
$365 refurb. on onkyo.com
Thanks
post #15319 of 34741
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

My son says I'm a 20 year old trapped inside an old mans body.

And with more free time being retired. lol
post #15320 of 34741
Quote:
Originally Posted by vietnemesis View Post

And with more free time being retired. lol

Must be nice. I retired from the Marine Corps and work harder now than I did then... LOL
post #15321 of 34741
Has anyone bi-amped the RTiA5? My new receiver (809) gives me that option. Just curious to see if anyone has done this and what their experiences are.
post #15322 of 34741
Quote:
Originally Posted by overwilhelmed View Post

Has anyone bi-amped the RTiA5? My new receiver (809) gives me that option. Just curious to see if anyone has done this and what their experiences are.
I've bi-amps many speakers but I honestly could hear no improvement in sound. There are some people who say they can hear a difference. All you gotta do is give it a go and decide for yourself. It will only cost you the price of the speaker wire.
At least it can be fun to experiment.
Edited by XStanleyX - 12/14/12 at 8:54am
post #15323 of 34741
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogged View Post

Just pulled the trigger for 709.
$365 refurb. on onkyo.com
Thanks

Rock on, thats a great price. I will take a look there myself!

**edit** site shows 499? how did you get 365?
post #15324 of 34741
Does anyone know if the Polk Audio Monitor40 is good? I mostly game and watch movies.
post #15325 of 34741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowJ20 View Post

Does anyone know if the Polk Audio Monitor40 is good? I mostly game and watch movies.

Depends on the size of your room and what you expect to get out of them. I used M40's in the bedroom primarily for TV and light music at night and for that they were great. I tried them in the family room, which is a much larger room, and they sounded too weak. You will definitely need a sub. I happen to have two pairs of M40's in the box that we no longer use, if you're interested, but NewEgg routinely puts them on sale for $120-140.
post #15326 of 34741
I'm considering getting 4 of the M40's and a center channel for surround sound. Would this be a good idea? It will be for my bed room.
post #15327 of 34741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowJ20 View Post

I'm considering getting 4 of the M40's and a center channel for surround sound. Would this be a good idea? It will be for my bed room.

For a bedroom they should work just fine. $109 for a pair after the promo code at newegg is a nice price.
post #15328 of 34741
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

I've bi-amps many speakers but I honestly could hear no improvement in sound. There are some people who say they can hear a difference. All you gotta do is give it a go and decide for yourself. It will only cost you the price of the speaker wire.
At least it can be fun to experiment.

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by overwilhelmed View Post

Has anyone bi-amped the RTiA5? My new receiver (809) gives me that option. Just curious to see if anyone has done this and what their experiences are.

Honestly, you won't get much if any improvement from my experience. I bi-amped the Onkyo NR3009 (quite a beefy AVR) on Polk RTiA9s (power hungry) and I could hear absolutely no difference. If you want true power, finess, and detail, you will have to go with a discrete amplifier that will push your speakers to their potential. Your speakers are rated at 250W. If you want volume and bass, then you should give them exactly that. Even with the biamp configuration on your 809, you will clip the AVR at high volumes. My NR3009 was clipping at anything over 85. With the XPA-2, I can listen to all but the most demanding (overproduced) songs with absolutely no clipping at high volumes.
post #15329 of 34741
Quote:
Originally Posted by overwilhelmed View Post

Has anyone bi-amped the RTiA5? My new receiver (809) gives me that option. Just curious to see if anyone has done this and what their experiences are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

I've bi-amps many speakers but I honestly could hear no improvement in sound. There are some people who say they can hear a difference. All you gotta do is give it a go and decide for yourself. It will only cost you the price of the speaker wire.
At least it can be fun to experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post

+1
Honestly, you won't get much if any improvement from my experience. I bi-amped the Onkyo NR3009 (quite a beefy AVR) on Polk RTiA9s (power hungry) and I could hear absolutely no difference. If you want true power, finess, and detail, you will have to go with a discrete amplifier that will push your speakers to their potential. Your speakers are rated at 250W. If you want volume and bass, then you should give them exactly that. Even with the biamp configuration on your 809, you will clip the AVR at high volumes. My NR3009 was clipping at anything over 85. With the XPA-2, I can listen to all but the most demanding (overproduced) songs with absolutely no clipping at high volumes.

+2

We've all done it and don't do it any more smile.gif Like Stanley said, give it a try yourself so you have first hand experience. If you really want to feed your speakers, get a dedicated amp. I have the 807 and it loves sharing power duties with my XPA-2 and 3. My next purchase.....XPR-2
post #15330 of 34741
I've been eyeing a Yamaha M-80 amp on craigslist. I used to own one and it was a great amp. He wants $450 for it but maybe I'll offer him $400. Not sure I should get an amp
that old or wait til I have more bucks and go for an Emotiva. I should probably be patient and wait. I'm just not as good at being patient as I used to be. There's a Carver TFM-35
on there too. Used to own one of those too. A little farther than I wanna drive for it.
Edited by XStanleyX - 12/14/12 at 7:13pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread