or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 558

post #16711 of 34670
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPopov View Post

OMG I feel like I'm about to have a bird...RTi8's coming via FedEx tomorrow and I can barely contain myself! Just had to share...

FedEx? eek.gif Uh oh. eek.gif

Yeah, I always get excited too. Congrats!
Edited by XStanleyX - 1/29/13 at 2:32pm
post #16712 of 34670
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

FedEx? eek.gif Uh oh. eek.gif

Damn I knew someone was going to try and freak me out!!!
post #16713 of 34670
Rob and Rob, many thanks for your input!
Another question: is the RTi6 really *that* much better than the RTi4, that it sells for more than 3 times as much in the aftermarket? Best price I can find on Amazon is $471.99 with shipping, compared to $159.99 for the RTi4. Is that a quality differential, or just a rarity differential? Cause if the 6 is that much better than the 4, then maybe I just bite the bullet and spend $400 on the RTiA3 right away. Or grab the $400 LSi7s which apparently will be better for music... although I'm not sure my Yamaha AVR will really do justice to the 4 ohm LSi7.
Advice, anyone?
post #16714 of 34670
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPopov View Post

Damn I knew someone was going to try and freak me out!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. biggrin.gif
post #16715 of 34670
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknecht01 View Post

Rob and Rob, many thanks for your input! Another question: is the RTi6 really *that* much better than the RTi4, that it sells for more than 3 times as much in the aftermarket? Best price I can find on Amazon is $471.99 with shipping, compared to $159.99 for the RTi4. Is that a quality differential, or just a rarity differential? Cause if the 6 is that much better than the 4, then maybe I just bite the bullet and spend $400 on the RTiA3 right away. Or grab the $400 LSi7s which apparently will be better for music... although I'm not sure my Yamaha AVR will really do justice to the 4 ohm LSi7. Advice, anyone?

Don't pay that much for Rti6's. They have been selling on closeout for $200/pr or less. Fry's was the latest to mark them down. Just be patient and more will surface somewhere. Unless you're actually talking about the CsiA6 vs the CsiA4, in which case YES the 6 is far superior to the 4. BTW you can probably fine a CsiA6 selling somewhere as an open box for under $400.

If you are indeed shopping for Rti6's be sure to be on the lookout for RtiA3's selling in like new condition just as the Csi6. If current prices are too high, just be patient and check prices often. Something always pops up eventually.
post #16716 of 34670
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

Don't pay that much for Rti6's. They have been selling on closeout for $200/pr or less. Fry's was the latest to mark them down. Just be patient and more will surface somewhere. Unless you're actually talking about the CsiA6 vs the CsiA4, in which case YES the 6 is far superior to the 4. BTW you can probably fine a CsiA6 selling somewhere as an open box for under $400.

If you are indeed shopping for Rti6's be sure to be on the lookout for RtiA3's selling in like new condition just as the Csi6. If current prices are too high, just be patient and check prices often. Something always pops up eventually.

So I assume that follows as well for CSi5 vs. CSi3, the 5 is much better. I'm really just trying to find the sweet spot for quality vs. price. Probably can't buy until next month at the earliest, so I'll keep watching and see how things evolve. I may yet decide to get the LSi7s if they're still around in March. Maybe I can talk Amazon into increasing the limit on my store card smile.gif
post #16717 of 34670
Csi5's are $200-225 on eBay. Yes, they are better than the Csi3 (which isn't bad, just small).
You can probably get a Csi3 for $100.
post #16718 of 34670
Hello my fellow Polkies. Just wanted to share my new experience. Picked up a new Receiver Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000 and all I can say is wow! This beast turned my Polkies into a completely different animal. The sound is crispy and clear and the front stage (which are all timbre matched) worked seamlessly. Bass is much cleaner and deeper. I was truly amazed at the difference in quality compared to my previous Denon AVR-1913. I am currently running a 7.1 and this receiver does an amazing job providing full sound all around. I must say I am pretty satisfied with my setup. biggrin.gif:D:D





Edited by oleon621 - 1/29/13 at 10:33pm
post #16719 of 34670
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleon621 View Post

Hello my fellow Polkies. Just wanted to share my new experience. Picked up a new Receiver Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000 and all I can say is wow! This beast turned my Polkies into a completely different animal. The sound is crispy and clear and the front stage (which are all timbre matched) worked seamlessly. Bass is much cleaner and deeper. I was truly amazed at the difference in quality compared to my previous Denon AVR-1913. I am currently running a 7.1 and this receiver does an amazing job providing full sound all around. I must say I am pretty satisfied with my setup. biggrin.gif:D:D


good deal! glad it's working out for ya. I am happy with my Polks too. Not a Steelers fan are ya?

I have been out for a few days with my head buried in some computer rebuild projects smile.gif love it! I must say though, after all the effort, I am very displeased with the audio on my new computer. It makes it that much more important to get another receiver for my HT setup so I can move the monitors and my current receiver to the computer room smile.gif So the saving begins now.... the goal is to have a new receiver and some lsi15s within 6 months.
Edited by 3rdHerd - 1/30/13 at 4:57am
post #16720 of 34670
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleon621 View Post

Hello my fellow Polkies. Just wanted to share my new experience. Picked up a new Receiver Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000 and all I can say is wow! This beast turned my Polkies into a completely different animal. The sound is crispy and clear and the front stage (which are all timbre matched) worked seamlessly. Bass is much cleaner and deeper. I was truly amazed at the difference in quality compared to my previous Denon AVR-1913. I am currently running a 7.1 and this receiver does an amazing job providing full sound all around. I must say I am pretty satisfied with my setup. biggrin.gif:D:D





Last Yamaha I had was an RX-V1. I think I used that for about 5 years before going for a HDMI receiver. I still miss that Yamaha. It was a heavy sucker at over 62 lbs. Congrats on your new Yammi. smile.gif
post #16721 of 34670
I miss you guys! I am faced with a new challenge, lol. So Stu from Polk forums finally got back to me and is still willing to sell me his LSiC. So here is the question I asked a little while ago and a few chimed in with great thoughts but made it tough to make the decision, haha. If I am looking for a 50/50 HT and music setup and want a great soundstage what would be the better setup

Polk:
Fronts - LSi15s
Center - LSiC
Surrounds - LSi7s

Def Tech
Fronts - 8060s
Center - 8040
Surrounds - 8040s

I am torn. I think the price will be about a wash because to get the def techs its 2k, the LSi set would cost me 1500 but i would need to buy a dedicated amp so that brings me to about 2k anyway. Thoughts?
post #16722 of 34670
^^id go with the polks if it were me....not huge fan of def tech speakers, besides the LSi's are a "music first" design.
post #16723 of 34670
Did you pull the trigger on that Denon MN?
post #16724 of 34670
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

Did you pull the trigger on that Denon MN?

Yes sir! I have a 3312 sitting on my basement counter waiting for speakers! I got that and a 4yr magnolia warranty for 495!! Now I just need to decide what speaker setup. Any opinions are welcome smile.gif
post #16725 of 34670
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNaudioguy View Post

Yes sir! I have a 3312 sitting on my basement counter waiting for speakers! I got that and a 4yr magnolia warranty for 495!! Now I just need to decide what speaker setup. Any opinions are welcome smile.gif

Great receiver at a great price. Congrats! You got a killer deal. RTi12's on Polk ebay with matching CC and surrounds if you wanna save money and be able to add a sub sooner. The RTi12's are no slouch of a speaker. Or the LSi15's.
You already know my opinion of the def techs. I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you get. Congrats again on that receiver. smile.gif
post #16726 of 34670
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNaudioguy View Post

Yes sir! I have a 3312 sitting on my basement counter waiting for speakers! I got that and a 4yr magnolia warranty for 495!! Now I just need to decide what speaker setup. Any opinions are welcome smile.gif

Almost went with that receiver but the moment I heard the Yamaha I fell in love haha. I love all the options the Denon has but for me personally the Yamaha Aventage presented sound quality that I felt the Denon couldn't match. Again this was to my ears. Congrats on the Denon though. I have an entry Denon receiver and it does ok for entry level.
post #16727 of 34670
I actually got the Yammie from Best Buy Magnolia Home Theater at a clearenace price of 599.00. I thought it was one hell of a price so I jumped on it! I'm going to be broke for a couple of weeks but it was all worth it biggrin.gif
post #16728 of 34670
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

Csi5's are $200-225 on eBay. Yes, they are better than the Csi3 (which isn't bad, just small).
You can probably get a Csi3 for $100.

Do you happen to know they compare to each other sound-wise? If the CSi3 sounds just as good or close, that would be awesome because since it's smaller, it will have more of that WAF that I could use right about now...
post #16729 of 34670
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPopov View Post

Do you happen to know they compare to each other sound-wise? If the CSi3 sounds just as good or close, that would be awesome because since it's smaller, it will have more of that WAF that I could use right about now...

My two cents. If there's one part of your home theater you don't want to skimp on, it would be the center channel and the sub. The center channel does the bulk of the work. I would strongly recommend you go with CSI5 if you can. In terms of of performance you won't be able to tell unless you have them side to side but the way I look at it, "go big or go home." I have the CSI5 and I love it.

Good luck
post #16730 of 34670
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPopov View Post

Do you happen to know they compare to each other sound-wise? If the CSi3 sounds just as good or close, that would be awesome because since it's smaller, it will have more of that WAF that I could use right about now...

I have both. I still use a Csi3 in the family room with Rti6's for TV viewing and background music. It does well at that. But I would not expect it to deliver on HT. As I said, it is small, and if your needs are small, it is perfect. It can be tucked into any cubbyhole in a TV stand or cabinet, and it is completely sealed so there is no rear port to accommodate.

The Csi5 on the other hand, is a beast... larger than the CS20... It was the Csi5 that got me out of the Monitor line and into the Rti's. I had "outgrown" the CS2 and was running a CS20 with M70's when I bought a Csi5 to use with the M70's. The difference in clarity was remarkable... astounding even. Before long I was ordering some Rti10's to go with it and moved the M70's to the side.

Since then I have moved on to the RtiA's all around, including the CsiA6. But that original Csi5 is still up in the bedroom. It's a bit large for what we watch in there but as our BR is almost as large as the living room spacewise, it works very well. In short, I would say ALWAYS go with the larger speaker, otherwise you would probably outgrow a smaller one and end up paying twice later on... and end up with a basement full of outgrown speakers, such as mine.
post #16731 of 34670
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknecht01 View Post

So I assume that follows as well for CSi5 vs. CSi3, the 5 is much better. I'm really just trying to find the sweet spot for quality vs. price. Probably can't buy until next month at the earliest, so I'll keep watching and see how things evolve. I may yet decide to get the LSi7s if they're still around in March. Maybe I can talk Amazon into increasing the limit on my store card smile.gif
might want to look at the Polk's Ebay store
They have a CSi5 Manufacturer refurbished for $225 shipped
-http://www.ebay.com/itm/CSi5-BLACK-Center-Channel-Polk-Audio-RTi-Series-Speaker-/360504632120?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item53efc02338

LSi7's for $400 in Cherry
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-LSi7-CHERRY-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers-Polk-Audio-/360463317823?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item53ed49bb3f
post #16732 of 34670
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNaudioguy View Post

I miss you guys! I am faced with a new challenge, lol. So Stu from Polk forums finally got back to me and is still willing to sell me his LSiC. So here is the question I asked a little while ago and a few chimed in with great thoughts but made it tough to make the decision, haha. If I am looking for a 50/50 HT and music setup and want a great soundstage what would be the better setup

Polk:
Fronts - LSi15s
Center - LSiC
Surrounds - LSi7s

Def Tech
Fronts - 8060s
Center - 8040
Surrounds - 8040s

I am torn. I think the price will be about a wash because to get the def techs its 2k, the LSi set would cost me 1500 but i would need to buy a dedicated amp so that brings me to about 2k anyway. Thoughts?

I would not purchase the LSiC from him based on principle.
My living room is set up for 2-channel music with LSI9's and dual subs. HT is set up with a full complement of RTI's. CSI6, RTiA9, FXi6, and a (soon to be 2) DIY sub. I recently tore my HT apart to do some work on the room and have watched a few movies in the living room on the LSI's. I have not heard a LSiC, but I prefer the RTis for HT and the LSIs for music. With that said I often get relegated to the HT for music and find the RTIs to perform quite well with music as well. If Polk Direct had the RTI12 and CSI5 available at the current price when I purchased my RTIa9's,/CSI6 I would have jumped all over it. I am not a fan of powered subs in towers. Hope that helps.
post #16733 of 34670
No more RTi12's on Polk ebay. Could be they've dried up there like the Monitor 70's. Fry's may be the last place left at the low price when on sale.
post #16734 of 34670
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post



The Csi5 on the other hand, is a beast... larger than the CS20... It was the Csi5 that got me out of the Monitor line and into the Rti's. I had "outgrown" the CS2 and was running a CS20 with M70's when I bought a Csi5 to use with the M70's. The difference in clarity was remarkable... astounding even. Before long I was ordering some Rti10's to go with it and moved the M70's to the side.

Thanks a lot. Maybe if I buy the wife a new vacuum she wont be so irritated at the size of the Csi5.....
post #16735 of 34670
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

I have both. I still use a Csi3 in the family room with Rti6's for TV viewing and background music. It does well at that. But I would not expect it to deliver on HT. As I said, it is small, and if your needs are small, it is perfect. It can be tucked into any cubbyhole in a TV stand or cabinet, and it is completely sealed so there is no rear port to accommodate.

The Csi5 on the other hand, is a beast... larger than the CS20... It was the Csi5 that got me out of the Monitor line and into the Rti's. I had "outgrown" the CS2 and was running a CS20 with M70's when I bought a Csi5 to use with the M70's. The difference in clarity was remarkable... astounding even. Before long I was ordering some Rti10's to go with it and moved the M70's to the side.

Since then I have moved on to the RtiA's all around, including the CsiA6. But that original Csi5 is still up in the bedroom. It's a bit large for what we watch in there but as our BR is almost as large as the living room spacewise, it works very well. In short, I would say ALWAYS go with the larger speaker, otherwise you would probably outgrow a smaller one and end up paying twice later on... and end up with a basement full of outgrown speakers, such as mine.

How do you have to accommodate for the port on a CS20? My shelf is open except for a 5" vertical bar that is almost where the port is on the back.

Your advice is sound, but for now I'll just plug my ears anytime I'm around speakers above my Monitor 70's. Lol Ignorance is bliss.

I wanted to get a higher end AVR with pre-outs. I got what I could at my budget today and like you said will end up paying twice when I get a new AVR in a couple of years. Then again it sounds like many people step up systems pretty often here.
post #16736 of 34670
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPopov View Post

Thanks a lot. Maybe if I buy the wife a new vacuum she wont be so irritated at the size of the Csi5.....

Unless you are talking a Dyson, you are pretty lucky only needing to buy her a vacuum.
post #16737 of 34670
Quote:
Originally Posted by vietnemesis View Post

How do you have to accommodate for the port on a CS20?

Our entertainment center has a closed back and a cubbyhole just large enough for a CS10 or Csi3.
A CS20 or Csi5 doesn't fit, so I have the Csi5 standing vertical next to the TV, which works pretty good. When I had a CS10 in the cubbyhole I stuffed a small pillow behind it, otherwise it sounded hollow. The Csi3 has a front port and is sealed in back so it works perfectly in the cubbyhole.
post #16738 of 34670
Are those FXi speakers ok to use as side speakers ?

Sofa A in front of the tv is along a wall so I dont have room for behind-the-person speakers.

There are 2 M30 speakers pointing at Sofa A on the sides as "rears".

Sofa 2 is along a wall on the side of the room.

Wondering if I replace the M30s with FXiA4's, it would be better in the room for everyone.

Spose I could just point the M30s at the wall to simulate the FXi.
post #16739 of 34670
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

Are those FXi speakers ok to use as side speakers ?

Sofa A in front of the tv is along a wall so I dont have room for behind-the-person speakers.

There are 2 M30 speakers pointing at Sofa A on the sides as "rears".

Sofa 2 is along a wall on the side of the room.

Wondering if I replace the M30s with FXiA4's, it would be better in the room for everyone.

You can run the FXi's as both side and rear surrounds with no problems. Most recommend if your doing 7.1 your rear surrounds be direct speaker (like your Monitor 30's) and your side surronds be the dipole/bipole speakers (like the FXi's). In practial application dont think it matters to much, but try it both ways and see which you like
post #16740 of 34670
maybe my post belongs here..



Not sitting in front this moment.. Receiver is a Panasonic VSX-1020k
Fronts are Polk Monitor 60's
Center is a Polk CS2
Sub is a Energy Power 12 Sub
Front Surround are older Bose Bookshelf speakers (I believe they're an older Bose 301 Series)
Rear Surround are some that I hooked up out of boredom (from a old Sony prefab unit, meant for front surround).

Primary use is Movies/Television. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I was actually about to go at the Front Surround and get Polk Bookshelves either monitor 30's or the new replacement.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread