or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 619

post #18541 of 35342
Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

The Monitor series has not been discontinued. It was discontinued at one point and replaced by the TSI line. Then they brought the Monitor series back but it's ONLY sold at Newegg. I called Polk to get this information because I wanted to make sure for myself. I own the Monitor series and think its a great speaker line for the money. Great value. If you go to Polk audio's website and look up speakers by series. You will see that there are two different Monitor series.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. My impression was that the TSi line had completely replaced the Monitors (both recent lines), since if you go to the Polk site and choose Products/In & Around The Home and then either Home Theater or Stereo & HiFi from the submenu, they no longer list either Monitor line, just LSiM, RTiA, TSx, TSi, and R/T/M.

In a way, that's sort of the same deal with the Klipsch RW-12D subwoofer - the Klipsch site lists it as discontinued, but they've apparently been continuing to sell them through Newegg for several years now since that happened.
post #18542 of 35342
Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

. If you go to Polk audio's website and look up speakers by series. You will see that there are two different Monitor series.

That is correct; the original Monitor series with the silver face, and the Monitor Series II with a black face. Same speaker, just a...........face lift......aug ug ug ug ug
post #18543 of 35342

Count me in:

 

Polk Audio
Monitor-60 Series II
Monitor-40 Series II
CS2 Series II (large Center)

PSW-505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer

 

Moved all my old JBL and Infinity to the other room. Noticed a big difference.

post #18544 of 35342
Jesus, I am on a tear here recently. So much for KISS on my setup lol...

My new vintage setup is the following:

Source's:

Technics SL-B3 with a Harman Kardon Citation 11 (Thanks RobLee) being used as a phono pre due to its awesome EQ on the front, and it just sounds SOOO GOOD!
Denon 3910
Pioneer LD-S1 Laser disc player (incoming) - going head to head against my CLD-D504 and only there can be only one
FLAC playback through XBMC on computer using a USB DAC (Meridian Explorer)
Sega Genesis - in a box awaiting composite to VGA adapter
N64 - in a box awaiting composite to VGA adapter
Super Nintendo - in a box awaiting composite to VGA adapter (not sure how this will play our given its unique aspect ratio)

Pre:

Sunfire TGA-II

Amp:

Fisher 460A - headed to the shop for repairs shortly
NAD 2600A - on loan from a buddy

Speakers:

Polk RTA 11TL's

Display:

HP 2509M (Denon 3910 connected via DVI, computer via HDMI, all other sources connected via a S-Video and Composite to VGA adaptor)

I need cables for most of this setup so I will be using what I have and slowly upgrading them in order of importance one by one to either Kimber Kable PB&J's & Kimber Kable 4VS or custom cables by DouglasConnection (personal friend who makes GREAT STUFF)

My rack is in MASSIVE need of a reorganization so be looking for finalized pics here shortly
post #18545 of 35342
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

My new vintage setup is the following:
Source's:
Technics SL-B3 with a Harman Kardon Citation 11 (Thanks RobLee) being used as a phono pre due to its awesome EQ on the front, and it just sounds SOOO GOOD!

Good to know that it has a good home and loving owner!
post #18546 of 35342
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

Good to know that it has a good home and loving owner!

Yup, I am going to put the phono section in it against the phono in the Sunfire TGA-II but I really liked how the built in EQ really allowed me to make the TT sound SOOO MUCH better. I havent seen what options exists in the TGP yet so there is a chance its got as good or better phono pre (it is a 3400 dollar pre mind you), but its nice to just flick some switches on the EQ to make things sound better!
post #18547 of 35342
Between the polk rtia7 and the infinity p363, which would be better for HT. Also, how does the sound compare, are they both bright and forward or one laid back and the other is more forward. Which will give more on a clarity without having to crank up the volume.

I like how the p363 is a great bang for the buck speaker, but aesthetically are not pleasing at all.
post #18548 of 35342
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

Between the polk rtia7 and the infinity p363, which would be better for HT. Also, how does the sound compare, are they both bright and forward or one laid back and the other is more forward. Which will give more on a clarity without having to crank up the volume.

I like how the p363 is a great bang for the buck speaker, but aesthetically are not pleasing at all.

Check out this post

http://www.avsforum.com/t/618137/calling-all-polkies-official-polk-thread/17910#post_23197114
post #18549 of 35342
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

Between the polk rtia7 and the infinity p363, which would be better for HT. Also, how does the sound compare, are they both bright and forward or one laid back and the other is more forward. Which will give more on a clarity without having to crank up the volume.

I like how the p363 is a great bang for the buck speaker, but aesthetically are not pleasing at all.


Yup, and I stand by those comments. I like the RTi A7's over the P363's. The RTi A7's also look better . Both are 8ohm speakers but the Infinity P363 is 93db efficient v the 89 of the RTI A7's. Personally that IMHO is not as important as overall sound characteristics and looks (which are both personal choices), but it means the Infinities handle power a bit better than the Polks so you will get a little more volume out of the Infinities than the Polks at the same listening volume.

That said to notice an increase in sound (normally you need a 3db increase in sound to hear volume differences) you require a 3x increase in wattage. Translation: both those speakers maxed out you will be hard pressed to hear which is louder and it will be close, so to me the efficiency differences are moot, but YMMV.

Also I need to find the post again, but we broke down the acronyms behind each line of speakers (Monitor, RTi, LSi).

IIRC the RTi A7 stands for ReferenceTheaterintegrated Avanced. I might be wrong on the last two letters but basically the RTi line (RT, RTi, RTi A) are all geared specifically toward HT first and music second so they are made to have good dynamics and voiced accordingly. Not to sure what the Primus line's main focus is geared toward.

**edit** here is what I found.... I think this is pretty accurate:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post


RT = Refernce Theater
RTi = Reference Theater Improved
RTi Ax = is a series demarcation


CS = Center Speaker
CSi = Center Speaker Improved

I don't know what the T in TSi stands for (Terrific, Terrifying, Terrible
), probably Theater Series Improved


Don't know this for a fact, but


LS = Luxury Series
LSi = Luxury Series Improved
LSiM = More better


RTA = Real Time Array

SDA = Stereo Dimensional Array

TL = Time Lens

RMs = ???

Edited by EndersShadow - 5/14/13 at 5:48am
post #18550 of 35342
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post


Yup, and I stand by those comments. I like the RTi A7's over the P363's. The RTi A7's also look better . Both are 8ohm speakers but the Infinity P363 is 93db efficient v the 89 of the RTI A7's. Personally that IMHO is not as important as overall sound characteristics and looks (which are both personal choices), but it means the Infinities handle power a bit better than the Polks so you will get a little more volume out of the Infinities than the Polks at the same listening volume.

That said to notice an increase in sound (normally you need a 3db increase in sound to hear volume differences) you require a 3x increase in wattage. Translation: both those speakers maxed out you will be hard pressed to hear which is louder and it will be close, so to me the efficiency differences are moot, but YMMV.

Also I need to find the post again, but we broke down the acronyms behind each line of speakers (Monitor, RTi, LSi).

IIRC the RTi A7 stands for ReferenceTheaterintegrated Avanced. I might be wrong on the last two letters but basically the RTi line (RT, RTi, RTi A) are all geared specifically toward HT first and music second so they are made to have good dynamics and voiced accordingly. Not to sure what the Primus line's main focus is geared toward.


Yes, I think you had a very detailed response to my question in the previous thread. Now let me ask you guys about the RTIA7 vs. the Focal Chorus 716v from Accessories4less.com

If I price both the polk and the focal its coming close, maybe $200 difference.

Focal 716v- $850
705v - $399
Center 800v - $350


Polk Rtia7 - $720
fxia6 - $335
center csia6 - $355


If these two were your choice which would you get and which has a better center channel?
post #18551 of 35342
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

Yes, I think you had a very detailed response to my question in the previous thread. Now let me ask you guys about the RTIA7 vs. the Focal Chorus 716v from Accessories4less.com

If I price both the polk and the focal its coming close, maybe $200 difference.

Focal 716v- $850
705v - $399
Center 800v - $350


Polk Rtia7 - $720
fxia6 - $335
center csia6 - $355


If these two were your choice which would you get and which has a better center channel?

Polks there. The Focal center is smaller than the CSi A6 and with the center both size of drivers but also cabinet size play a role in how they produce sound. I had a CSi5 cabinet (which is the last revision of the A6 cabinet) and it literally was HUGE. I have heard folks pair the CSi5 and CSiA6 with Polks vintage SDA speakers which are HUGE and produce a MASSIVE wall of sound.

So to me the Polks are the better buy there on paper. Paper however doesnt discount sonic differences. Again slight difference in efficiency but not enough to care and on paper the Polks dig a bit deeper but its a moot point as you will cross your sub over high enough it doesnt matter.
post #18552 of 35342
Enders, nicely done on all your gear! My son still has his Nintendo 64 which I borrow from time to time when I need my Goldeneye fix. I have the new bond on Xbox 360 but Goldeneye, well, there's nothing like it IMO.

I gotta tell you, some years back, when his game was still new, I achieved all of the cheats but one, the illusive "invisibility". I tried and tried and was always one second off the pace. One time, I tied it (which was all you needed to win the cheat), and the game went into shut down mode and denied me...UGGGG
post #18553 of 35342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Enders, nicely done on all your gear! My son still has his Nintendo 64 which I borrow from time to time when I need my Goldeneye fix. I have the new bond on Xbox 360 but Goldeneye, well, there's nothing like it IMO.

I gotta tell you, some years back, when his game was still new, I achieved all of the cheats but one, the illusive "invisibility". I tried and tried and was always one second off the pace. One time, I tied it (which was all you needed to win the cheat), and the game went into shut down mode and denied me...UGGGG

Yup, looking forward to playing around with a couple things.

Debating building a DIY cabinet/covering/isolation platform for the Citation 11 and my TT since the TT is pretty plasticy and the cover is broke. That and those two items will be used together pretty exclusively.

I figure I can make a base section which incorporates/houses the Citation 11 in it since the TT is wider than it, then on top the Citation build up a nice little isolation sandbox for the TT which also will come up over the back and have a slide in plexiglass L cover that fits into groves cut into the wood. The bottom with the Citation would be opened backed so I can get to the inputs but the TT back would just have holes to route the existing wires.

I am probably going to make that happen during the 4th of July since my uncles are carpenters and we can probably knock it all out really quick at their house when we are there.

It may also incorporate a side section for holding LP's as well while I am at it provided it wont add to the overall depth of the cabinet.
post #18554 of 35342
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

Debating building a DIY platform for my TT since the TT is pretty plasticy and the cover is broke.


Too bad you don't have a nice heavy solid walnut base turntable like a Thorens TD-125
post #18555 of 35342
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

Too bad you don't have a nice heavy solid walnut base turntable like a Thorens TD-125

Yeah, yeah rub it in lol. I shoulda hopped on that TT although given how infrequent I use mine it woulda been nice but I think probably a bit more an investment than I needed (but darned if it wasn't super tempting lol). Although yours has a nice base what I would be building would basically be that hehehe... the TT would sit on a butcher block or stone piece about 1" thick with a couple mm of space between it and the sides of the box. In the box would be about 3 inches of crushed sand to help with vibrations so it would be basically floating on that. The whole thing (including the Citation 11) would be sitting on isolation blocks at the base to also help decrease vibrations.

I also am probably going to try and put some non hardening modeling clay around the inside plastic part of the TT to help weigh it down.

Either way if I build this base cabinet concept I am going to do so in such as way that I can in the future use just about any TT I want so if I find a steal of a deal on one I can take advantage of it lol.

Heck if I really wanted to I could just have my uncles build me a walnut plinth for the TT that I have now lol. I may just have them do that and call it a day so nananananananana.
post #18556 of 35342
Sounds like a good design. The sand is an especially interesting idea.

Reminds me of my Dad's sand-filled Wharfdale's back in the 50's.

Also a great holiday project and a way to spend some "guy time"
with your uncles... and probably away from child care as well
post #18557 of 35342
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

Sounds like a good design. The sand is an especially interesting idea.

Reminds me of my Dad's sand-filled Wharfdale's back in the 50's.

Also a great holiday project and a way to spend some "guy time"
with your uncles... and probably away from child care as well

Yup, the concept is that by putting it on a floating platform so to speak its got wiggle room on either side and the sand dampens the vibrations by being able to shift as needed to absorb them. I know folks that have gone CRAZY and made some costing like 1k plus with springs, plexiglass dampeners, etc. This is going to be simple, cheap and look good stained. Those are my stated goals, function over form.

I will draw up the concept and post something later tonight if I get a second.
post #18558 of 35342
Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

The Monitor series has not been discontinued. It was discontinued at one point and replaced by the TSI line. Then they brought the Monitor series back but it's ONLY sold at Newegg. I called Polk to get this information because I wanted to make sure for myself. I own the Monitor series and think its a great speaker line for the money. Great value. If you go to Polk audio's website and look up speakers by series. You will see that there are two different Monitor series.

Technically, there are now three:

"Monitor Series 1": 70, 60, 50, 40, 30, CS1, CS2
"Monitor Series 2": 70, 60, 50, 40, 30, CS1, CS2 (same exact speaker with an aesthetic makeover)
"New Monitor Series": 75T, 65T, 55T, 45B, 35B, 15C, 25C (same exact drivers as the two previous generations, but with a speaker layout change, slightly larger cabinets, and an aesthetic makeover)
post #18559 of 35342
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGcollector View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

The Monitor series has not been discontinued. It was discontinued at one point and replaced by the TSI line. Then they brought the Monitor series back but it's ONLY sold at Newegg. I called Polk to get this information because I wanted to make sure for myself. I own the Monitor series and think its a great speaker line for the money. Great value. If you go to Polk audio's website and look up speakers by series. You will see that there are two different Monitor series.

Technically, there are now three:

"Monitor Series 1": 70, 60, 50, 40, 30, CS1, CS2
"Monitor Series 2": 70, 60, 50, 40, 30, CS1, CS2 (same exact speaker with an aesthetic makeover)
"New Monitor Series": 75T, 65T, 55T, 45B, 35B, 15C, 25C (same exact drivers as the two previous generations, but with a speaker layout change, slightly larger cabinets, and an aesthetic makeover)

It seems like Polk wants to stop this line but according to sales it still does very well. I can't figure it out. All I know is I gottem and I'm happy!
post #18560 of 35342
So I finally got a chance to demo the Polk Audio LSiM707s today. They were connected to a Denon 3313CI in passive bi-amp mode (no it was not an audiophile store). I was impressed by the ring radiated tweeters and teh oval Cassini drivers. The tweeters were detailed but not harsh. The oval drivers were fairly impressive as well and they provided a very broad dynamic range to the sound.

I listened to these for a while and switched over to a set of Monitor Audio's GX200s. These tiny things were as impressive as the 707s. I don't think they would compare in a test at reference level due to their small drivers, but they sounded great as well.

All this got me in the mood to go home and listen to my speakers. To my surprise, when I turned on my system and started playing my music, I really couldn't hear much of a difference. I guess I'm happy with my setup. So much that I decided to make a short video of my speakers.



Here's the video description:

Short video of my home theater showing the Polk Audio RTi A9 floorstanding speakers powered by the Emotive XPX-3 300 WPC stereo amplifier. The source is the Onkyo TX-NR3009 AVR and thumb drive containing FLAC and 320 kbps mp3 music. The volume is conservative during the recording of the video due to the camera microphone. Both "pure audio" (stereo left and right channel only) and stereo 2.2 (left/right and dual subwoofers) modes are used to compare the RTi A9 speakers bass output as compared to the dual JBL ES250 400W 12" subwoofers.

Bass response for the RTiA9s is impressive. They hit hard and clean with the right amount of power. I originally powered the RTiA9s with the Onkyo NR3009 @ 140 WPC but they were anemic and bright. WIth the Emotiva XPA-2 and 300 WPC, they have come into their own.

I just recently installed the second JBL ES250P 400W 12" powered subwoofer. The bass response in the room has improved dramatically. No more dead spots. The power and precision has also improved significantly. Dual subs are a must.

The room measures approx. 16' x 30' and the front left and right speakers are 12.6' away from the center listening position. The speakers are toed out around 3 - 5 degrees from the center listening position, providing a wide, immersive, and detailed sound stage.


Video edited and reloaded to enable audio.
Edited by climber07 - 5/17/13 at 2:21pm
post #18561 of 35342
Is Youtube buffering as slow as hell for anyone else or just me???
post #18562 of 35342
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post

So I finally got a chance to demo the Polk Audio LSiM707s today. They were connected to a Denon 3313CI in passive bi-amp mode (no it was not an audiophile store). I was impressed by the ring radiated tweeters and teh oval Cassini drivers. The tweeters were detailed but not harsh. The oval drivers were fairly impressive as well and they provided a very broad dynamic range to the sound.

I listened to these for a while and switched over to a set of Monitor Audio's GX200s. These tiny things were as impressive as the 707s. I don't think they would compare in a test at reference level due to their small drivers, but they sounded great as well.

All this got me in the mood to go home and listen to my speakers. To my surprise, when I turned on my system and started playing my music, I really couldn't hear much of a difference. I guess I'm happy with my setup. So much that I decided to make a short video of my speakers.



Here's the video description:

Short video of my home theater showing the Polk Audio RTi A9 floorstanding speakers powered by the Emotive XPX-3 300 WPC stereo amplifier. The source is the Onkyo TX-NR3009 AVR and thumb drive containing FLAC and 320 kbps mp3 music. The volume is conservative during the recording of the video due to the camera microphone. Both "pure audio" (stereo left and right channel only) and stereo 2.2 (left/right and dual subwoofers) modes are used to compare the RTi A9 speakers bass output as compared to the dual JBL ES250 400W 12" subwoofers.

The music starts at the 00:36 second mark.

Bass response for the RTiA9s is impressive. They hit hard and clean with the right amount of power. I originally powered the RTiA9s with the Onkyo NR3009 @ 140 WPC but they were anemic and bright. WIth the Emotiva XPA-2 and 300 WPC, they have come into their own.

I just recently installed the second JBL ES250P 400W 12" powered subwoofer. The bass response in the room has improved dramatically. No more dead spots. The power and precision has also improved significantly. Dual subs are a must.

The room measures approx. 16' x 30' and the front left and right speakers are 12.6' away from the center listening position. The speakers are toed out around 3 - 5 degrees from the center listening position, providing a wide, immersive, and detailed sound stage.


Nice set up but do you really like your bass pounding like that? It hurt my ears so badly I had to turn my JBL computer speakers down. Each to their own I guess but not the way I like my home theater sound or music. BTW, that yellow text is next to impossible to read.
post #18563 of 35342
Nice video climber!

I'm so torn on my speaker upgrade. A9's or q900's......seeing yours in action helps to lean me toward the Polk's.....
post #18564 of 35342
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

Nice video climber!

I'm so torn on my speaker upgrade. A9's or q900's......seeing yours in action helps to lean me toward the Polk's.....

If you noticed, the Emo wasn't even putting out. They have a lot of room left to run!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post

Nice set up but do you really like your bass pounding like that? It hurt my ears so badly I had to turn my JBL computer speakers down. Each to their own I guess but not the way I like my home theater sound or music. BTW, that yellow text is next to impossible to read.

Once again, the bass is not very accurately reproduced through the camera mic. It is much smoother and more refined in person. Nothing like on the video. wink.gif

Sorry about the text. I use the black theme and it's the easiest to see. I'll change it.

BTW, I changed the video.
Edited by climber07 - 5/15/13 at 5:36pm
post #18565 of 35342
Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

It seems like Polk wants to stop this line but according to sales it still does very well. I can't figure it out. All I know is I gottem and I'm happy!

They're an awfully good bang for the buck if you wait for Newegg's best discounts, so strong sales certainly makes sense. I stalked the Monitor speakers on Newegg, tracking their prices for some time before popping on a pair of 70's, 60's, 40's, 30's, and a CS2 at steep discounts. I've been very pleased with all of them. The only Polk product I wasn't satisfied with between home and car audio, was their PSW505 sub. I'm not sure if mine was defective or if they're just really overrated, but I sent that back immediately and went with a Hsu VTF-2 MK4 instead.
post #18566 of 35342
Hi,
I'm thinking about adding an amp to power my front mains and I've seen a lot of comments saying it is pointless and will not change the sound but for some reason many people with my speakers (Polk ATi-A9) swear that more power reduces the brightness and deepens the bass on these speakers. There are countless comments in the Polk threads stating how much better these speakers sound with more power. They are rated @ 500 watts. My receiver (Denon 4520CI) plays plenty loud so I'm not looking for more volume but could more power really change the SQ for these particular speakers? Like most here I'd like to get the best sound possible but I don't want to throw money away either and it seems that most people say that unless you are clipping with your current AVR, external amps will NOT make any difference in the SQ?
Thanks
post #18567 of 35342
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post

Looks like Youtube muted my video because of the music clips. Kinda peeved about that. I guess you have to make your own music, record it, then play it on your own speakers along with uploading a copyright release.


Thats too bad .. glad i got to hear it before they did .. Excellent setup ..
post #18568 of 35342
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougReim View Post

Hi,
I'm thinking about adding an amp to power my front mains and I've seen a lot of comments saying it is pointless and will not change the sound but for some reason many people with my speakers (Polk ATi-A9) swear that more power reduces the brightness and deepens the bass on these speakers. There are countless comments in the Polk threads stating how much better these speakers sound with more power. They are rated @ 500 watts. My receiver (Denon 4520CI) plays plenty loud so I'm not looking for more volume but could more power really change the SQ for these particular speakers? Like most here I'd like to get the best sound possible but I don't want to throw money away either and it seems that most people say that unless you are clipping with your current AVR, external amps will NOT make any difference in the SQ?
Thanks

 

Yep, people on both sides of the fence on this. I would only suggest that if you do buy an amp that you get one with a good return policy so you're only out the cost of shipping it back if you decide to do so. Better yet, if you know someone with an amp maybe you can borrow it for a bit. There's no predicting which side of the fence you'll be on.

post #18569 of 35342
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougReim View Post

Hi,
I'm thinking about adding an amp to power my front mains and I've seen a lot of comments saying it is pointless and will not change the sound but for some reason many people with my speakers (Polk ATi-A9) swear that more power reduces the brightness and deepens the bass on these speakers. There are countless comments in the Polk threads stating how much better these speakers sound with more power. They are rated @ 500 watts. My receiver (Denon 4520CI) plays plenty loud so I'm not looking for more volume but could more power really change the SQ for these particular speakers? Like most here I'd like to get the best sound possible but I don't want to throw money away either and it seems that most people say that unless you are clipping with your current AVR, external amps will NOT make any difference in the SQ?
Thanks

This is the exact reason that audio components have equalizers in them. I say adjust the equalizer and dial down the highs a few dB. Most people do not play loud except for music. For movies, you will not see any improvement. For music, you will see improvement in the upper volume regions where the triple 7" drivers are sucking power for bass. These speakers are bright. Every person that owns them and every review I've read speaks to this effect.

Bottom line, the Emotiva XPA-2 is an awesome value. Problem is, if you buy one, you pay for return shipping of an 83 lb. behemoth if you want a refund.
post #18570 of 35342
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougReim View Post

Hi, I'm thinking about adding an amp to power my front mains and I've seen a lot of comments saying it is pointless and will not change the sound but for some reason many people with my speakers (Polk ATi-A9) swear that more power reduces the brightness and deepens the bass on these speakers. There are countless comments in the Polk threads stating how much better these speakers sound with more power. They are rated @ 500 watts. My receiver (Denon 4520CI) plays plenty loud so I'm not looking for more volume but could more power really change the SQ for these particular speakers? Like most here I'd like to get the best sound possible but I don't want to throw money away either and it seems that most people say that unless you are clipping with your current AVR, external amps will NOT make any difference in the SQ? Thanks

While your AVR is no slouch, I found out first hand how much difference an external amp can make when driving the A9's. Previously I had A7's and powered them with a Denon 3312CI. This is a 125wpc AVR just a notch or two below yours, and while the A7's sounded fine, when I upgraded to A9's they sounded shallow and somewhat anemic. After investing in an Emotiva XPA5 amp with 200wpc the difference in SQ was immediately apparent, and I was able to hear nuances I had not previously noticed in the same music which I have been listening to for years using several different audio systems.

While it could possibly be said that perhaps there may be coloration from the amp, I believe it is the headroom wattage that the Emo is able to deliver particularly to speaker systems which incorporate multiple drivers per cabinet. Whereas the A7's had four drivers per cabinet, the A9's have six and there is the dividing line. OTOH on the AVR all channels share a common power supply and therefore the PS becomes the limiting factor. When there are 12-20 individual drivers sucking power from a single "light weight" power supply something has to suffer. In the case of the Emo, this baby easily weighs five times what the Denon weighs, and most of that is power supply.

So the long and short of it is, at least in my case, yes, an external amp does indeed make a difference.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread