or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 675

post #20221 of 35126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Enrico, is that you in those photos? Drooling on the go fasters? Do you think you can get me a ride in that open wheel Indy car? I would like that biggrin.gif

Yes, me at the Ferrari factory in Maranello, Italy. That's my second home town and where my grandma still live smile.gif
post #20222 of 35126
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post

Yes, me at the Ferrari factory in Maranello, Italy. That's my second home town and where my grandma still live smile.gif

Awesome!!! That's got to a blast!! My mothers grandmother is from Sicily. You've got to hook me up for an Indy ride, I promise I won't go over 220mph biggrin.gif
post #20223 of 35126
Two rooms, two 5.1 systems, two receivers, and one amp: What are the best combos?

Dear Polksies:

I have two speaker systems meant for two rooms in my apartment; one relatively small bedroom, and one relatively large living room + kitchen combo which is more than twice the size of the bedroom. In order to power both rooms with HT systems, I have one set of mostly RTI - series speakers, and another set of LSIM speakers:

System A

RTI 10 fronts
Csi 5 center
FXi 50 surrounds

System B

LSIM 703 Fronts
LSIM 704c center
LSIM 702 f/x surrounds

Two receivers to match two systems:

Denon 991 (w/Audyssey Multeq XT, but no pre-outs)
Onkyo 818 (w/Audyssey Multeq XT 32, and pre-outs)

Two subs to match:

Polk PSW 505
Bic America Acoustech Pl-200

One Amp:

Emotiva XPA - 5

I want to set up two HT systems for the two rooms I have referred to, but I am currently not sure which combos to deploy for each room... It is clear that the Emotiva Amp will have to go with the Onkyo 818, because the Denon 991 has no pre-outs. It is also clear that the Emotiva + Onkyo combo should go to the larger room, because they might be overkill for the smaller room, even though I really got the amp not for loudness, but for more refinement in the quality of sound in music and HT (In that regard, I have wondered whether the Amp is even necessary, since the receivers are both already very good, but let me know what you think)... Now here are my questions:

1. Should the Amp + receiver combo (Emotiva XPA 5 + Onkyo 818) go with the RTI series speakers or with the LSIM series speakers for best results in audio quality?
2. How should I match the two subs I have (polk psw 505, and Bic America Acoustech PL-200) with the two system configurations?


As to how much time I devote to music and HT, I would normally describe myself as flexible... When I have a lot of leisure time at my disposal (which happens for relatively brief periods in the year), I am normally 60-80% HT and 20-40% music. However, for work-intensive periods of the year, which far outnumber the "leisure time" periods, I tend to listen to a lot more music (60-80% of the time), especially classical, and laid back jazz, as they tend to relax me as I work.

I could go on and on, but I feel I have complicated things enough already. Impedance-wise, both speaker sets are 8 Ohms, although the RTI 10s and the Csi 5 are rated at 89db/90db (for efficiency) and 20-300/200 watts pc (for recommended amp power), whereas all the LSIM series speakers are 88db (for efficiency) and 20-200 watts.

Any advice or suggestions regarding how to build the two ht combos would be welcome, and how to match them with the rooms would be welcome. Thanks,

PS: Do not forget to comment, if you can, on the utility or necessity of the Amp, in improving the SQ of the system in which it is deployed... Remember that I am more into refinement than loudness when it comes to SQ... The highest I can ever go is always between -20db and -30db, and I am often closer to -30db.
post #20224 of 35126
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmen View Post

Two rooms, two 5.1 systems, two receivers, and one amp: What are the best combos?

Two very nice systems!

I think you already have a good idea as to which direction to go.

Right off, I'd expect the RTi set up to go in the bdrm with the Denon and Polk sub, the other in the living room with the Onk/amp combo.

For sure, you'd want to go with that set up with the speakers due to size, it would make sense to put the larger speaker set up where it can breath better. The bic sub could hang out in the living room set up.

Of course, if it comes down to it, you could start with that set up, RTi bdrm, LSiM lvrm, but swap out the AVR set ups, trying the amp in both rooms to see what kind of sound you're getting in each. But, I would bet a couple of beers that the amp set up goes with the LSiM lvrm set up.
post #20225 of 35126
anyone know how the tsx line compare to the rti line; i was reading the specs and the tsx have a higher Efficiency (tsx550t @91 vs rtia9 @90, does that make them better or is it a small enough difference to not notice?
post #20226 of 35126
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post

anyone know how the tsx line compare to the rti line; i was reading the specs and the tsx have a higher Efficiency (tsx550t @91 vs rtia9 @90, does that make them better or is it a small enough difference to not notice?

I would think, not enough to notice. After looking at the two, it would seem the A9 has a better midrange than the TSx. The 550T has a pair of mid/woofers where the A9 has a pair of midrange and has it's own separate enclosure.
post #20227 of 35126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

I would think, not enough to notice. After looking at the two, it would seem the A9 has a better midrange than the TSx. The 550T has a pair of mid/woofers where the A9 has a pair of midrange and has it's own separate enclosure.
The polk forum called them, cheep drivers in a nice cabinet. They are the tsi replacement, and that line was always equated to the monitor line. So rti will lend you greater detail and clarity.
post #20228 of 35126
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

I finally got off my procrastinating butt and put new surrounds on the woofers of my KEF's. Did one a couple of months ago but it was such a PIA I was in no hurry to do the 2nd one. Moved my 703's to surround duty. Haven't run audyssey yet to watch a movie. Dunno if I'll keep it this way or sell the KEF's and move the Polks back up front. I'll definitely sell the KEF's if I can score a 706 on sale. Although "definitely" is a pretty loose word for me.


Let me know when your ready to part with those 703's tongue.gif
post #20229 of 35126
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post


Let me know when your ready to part with those 703's tongue.gif

 

I was thinking of letting them got for $500 but for you $1000. tongue.gif

post #20230 of 35126
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post

The polk forum called them, cheep drivers in a nice cabinet. They are the tsi replacement, and that line was always equated to the monitor line. So rti will lend you greater detail and clarity.

Nicely said Fisch, when you look at them on Polks site, you can see the similarities between the TSi drivers and the TSx drivers.
post #20231 of 35126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Two very nice systems!

I think you already have a good idea as to which direction to go.

Right off, I'd expect the RTi set up to go in the bdrm with the Denon and Polk sub, the other in the living room with the Onk/amp combo.

For sure, you'd want to go with that set up with the speakers due to size, it would make sense to put the larger speaker set up where it can breath better. The bic sub could hang out in the living room set up.

Of course, if it comes down to it, you could start with that set up, RTi bdrm, LSiM lvrm, but swap out the AVR set ups, trying the amp in both rooms to see what kind of sound you're getting in each. But, I would bet a couple of beers that the amp set up goes with the LSiM lvrm set up.

Agree with this.

Also unless it is a huge hassle you could always swap stuff around until you like how it ends up. So start like this and like Geoff suggested swap the receivers(amp) or swap the speakers or both until you get it to he's suit your needs.
post #20232 of 35126

I think sahmen might want to keep the amp with the 703's. They aren't that much easier to drive than the LSI15's I had. I think they probably dip well below 8 ohms. Haven't seen any specs on that.

post #20233 of 35126
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

I think sahmen might want to keep the amp with the 703's. They aren't that much easier to drive than the LSI15's I had. I think they probably dip well below 8 ohms. Haven't seen any specs on that.

Ooh, thanks for pointing out he had 703's, I thought I read 705's. But yes indeed, still consider keeping the amp on the LSiMs.

Sorry, I was over in the command seat getting immersed in Locomotive Breath and James Gang's Walk Away, RTiA9, a VERY pleasurably musical speaker smile.gif
post #20234 of 35126
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post

Let me know when your ready to part with those 703's tongue.gif

Are you kidding? You can have 'em when you can pry 'em from his cold dead fingers! Stanley loves his 703's too much biggrin.gif
post #20235 of 35126
Ooh, Ten Years After's I'd love to change the world is on, gotta go cool.gif
post #20236 of 35126
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

I think sahmen might want to keep the amp with the 703's. They aren't that much easier to drive than the LSI15's I had. I think they probably dip well below 8 ohms. Haven't seen any specs on that.
I had read in a review that they dip. but I have not had trouble with them on my Yamaha 820.
post #20237 of 35126
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post


I had read in a review that they dip. but I have not had trouble with them on my Yamaha 820.

 

I had no problems with a 125 watt receiver without the amp but I don't crank it like some guys do. I'd still keep the amp on the 703's though.

post #20238 of 35126
Wow.. a lot has gone on in the past few days.. too much to quote and comment.. just thought I'd share a pic of what my daughter found by the front door .. that's her "CHEESE!" face .. biggrin.gif

post #20239 of 35126

Love that photo! So cute.

post #20240 of 35126
Quote:
Originally Posted by xFreshEntrailsX View Post

Wow.. a lot has gone on in the past few days.. too much to quote and comment.. just thought I'd share a pic of what my daughter found by the front door .. that's her "CHEESE!" face .. biggrin.gif


Welcome home goo goo head!! Nice pic, that's one happy girl. I can totally relate smile.gif

Okay, back to my listening enjoyment biggrin.gif
post #20241 of 35126
Quote:
Originally Posted by xFreshEntrailsX View Post

Wow.. a lot has gone on in the past few days.. too much to quote and comment.. just thought I'd share a pic of what my daughter found by the front door .. that's her "CHEESE!" face .. biggrin.gif


Great pic my youngest loved my subwoofer box when it came.
post #20242 of 35126

Found a review of the 703's. Looks like they can drop to as low as 3 ohms.

 

 

"I estimated the LSiM703's B-weighted voltage sensitivity as 87dB/2.83V/m, 1dB lower than the specification. The electrical impedance (fig.1, solid trace) remained between 4 and 7 ohms over most of the audioband, but dropped to 3 ohms at 125Hz. There is also an awkward combination of 4 ohms and –47° phase angle at 90Hz, a frequency where music can have considerable energy. Polk specifies the LSiM703 as being "compatible with 8 ohm outputs," but I suggest that a good 4 ohm–rated amplifier or receiver would work best with this speaker."

post #20243 of 35126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Welcome home goo goo head!! Nice pic, that's one happy girl. I can totally relate smile.gif

Okay, back to my listening enjoyment biggrin.gif

Oh I'm not home .. drive home a week from tomorrow.. and I'm ready.. My wife sent me that picture.. miss my little princess


And it is amazing how infatuated the kids get with boxes..
post #20244 of 35126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Two very nice systems!

I think you already have a good idea as to which direction to go.

Right off, I'd expect the RTi set up to go in the bdrm with the Denon and Polk sub, the other in the living room with the Onk/amp combo.

For sure, you'd want to go with that set up with the speakers due to size, it would make sense to put the larger speaker set up where it can breath better. The bic sub could hang out in the living room set up.

Of course, if it comes down to it, you could start with that set up, RTi bdrm, LSiM lvrm, but swap out the AVR set ups, trying the amp in both rooms to see what kind of sound you're getting in each. But, I would bet a couple of beers that the amp set up goes with the LSiM lvrm set up.

Thanks, Geoff4RFC: I must say, that I have been leaning in this very direction with one minor exception: I have read some stuff about the relatively better musicality of the polk sub, as opposed to the Bic America sub which is allegedly better suited for HT, but I do not know to what extent this distinction is to be taken seriously. If the difference is not a major one, I'd of course like to pair the BIC America sub with LSIM + Onkyo + Emo combo, because the BIC sub is already well-positioned in the Living room, and It would be one less heavy component to move around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaKats View Post


Agree with this.

Also unless it is a huge hassle you could always swap stuff around until you like how it ends up. So start like this and like Geoff suggested swap the receivers(amp) or swap the speakers or both until you get it to he's suit your needs.

Thanks Supakatsr, for your input, Although I'd rather get it right the first time and settle with the results than get down the rabbit hole of swapping things around to listen for subtle differences.. For one thing, each new swap or permutation will call for a new Audyssey room eq calibration, or almosti , and I'd rather avoid too many of those if I can. Secondly, if the differences turn out to be small and nit-picky, they might just end up triggering my ocd-fueled self-torturing tendencies. At worst they might lead me to a never ending cycle of second guessing, which will take away from my enjoyment of what I have. That said, I could still do a few swaps without reaching those levels of extreme neurotic behavior, so your point is well taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

I think sahmen might want to keep the amp with the 703's. They aren't that much easier to drive than the LSI15's I had. I think they probably dip well below 8 ohms. Haven't seen any specs on that.

Agreed! The Onkyo + amp will definitely go with the LSIms. Thanks for your input.
post #20245 of 35126
Do any of you guys have a htpc set up? If so tell me about it. I've been thinking about putting one together and am looking for ideas.
post #20246 of 35126
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

Do any of you guys have a htpc set up? If so tell me about it. I've been thinking about putting one together and am looking for ideas.

Man, with the HDTV Live I have, it's not worth it. I have music, movies, photos... everything I want on my TV in 1080P for about $100 bucks. It is easily controlled by my Harmony remote as well. Plus, you can put just about any size hard drive on it (or two) with the USB ports. You can also wirelessly or CAT-5 the thing into the network! It may not be as user friendly, but it does the work of a heck of a computer at a much lesser price.
post #20247 of 35126
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

Do any of you guys have a htpc set up? If so tell me about it. I've been thinking about putting one together and am looking for ideas.

I tossed around the idea too.. but with a ps3 and Xbox 360 being able to link up with my pc I figured it would be kind of pointless..
post #20248 of 35126
HTPC is what I built. I can store my blu rays, DVDs, FLAC and all kinds of other stuff on it.

I enjoy mine much.

With that said mine doesn't have a blu day player since I have one and will get the Xbox One to consolidate those two as well.

I am on my phone so typing is a PITA so tell me what your goals are for it and I will type something more up later on it.

Depending in what you want a network streaming device plus a good server may be another viable alternative
post #20249 of 35126
You know there's a dedicated HTPC area for these type of questions.
post #20250 of 35126
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

You know there's a dedicated HTPC area for these type of questions.

There's that subtlety again... biggrin.gif


...but he's gonna connect it to Polk speakers man! cool.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread