or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 791

post #23701 of 34926
Sad day the xpa-5 is packed up and going back. I could not resolve a room filling buzz coming from my speakers. Now one to figuring out what amp is next. Tempted by the xpa-100...
post #23702 of 34926
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post

Sad day the xpa-5 is packed up and going back. I could not resolve a room filling buzz coming from my speakers. Now one to figuring out what amp is next. Tempted by the xpa-100...

frown.gif

what, if anything, did emo tech support say?

ya know....we are local to each other, it wouldn't be too difficult to set your xpa-5 up at my place to see if it buzzes in my set up.
post #23703 of 34926
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post

I was considering adding a BIC F12 to the following set up:

Onkyo NR818
2x70s (fronts)
1xCS2
2x60s (rears)

But then a friend sent me this: http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/ele/4183127205.html

He claims it's a steal at $300, but I can't even see what model it is from the pics. Looks like A5-350? Any advice? Thanks!

It is a A5-350, and thats not a bad price. I will add following caveat: From what I remember some of their amps & drivers had issues at one point. Since the company doesn't exist anymore replacements from them don't exist.

Just do some research on it, but it could be a good deal. I got a A2-300 for 180 from a forum member in Chicago and am enjoying it a LOT with my LSi 15's. I would think it would make you pretty happy and is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the F12.

To give you an idea of size, here are some pics I grabbed of the web:

http://www.blu-ray.com/Elemental-Designs-A5-350/17146/?show=photos
post #23704 of 34926
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post

Sad day the xpa-5 is packed up and going back. I could not resolve a room filling buzz coming from my speakers. Now one to figuring out what amp is next. Tempted by the xpa-100...

Can I ask why you are not looking at used as well? Something from a company like Parasound or other? Wont have a warranty but if you buy right you dont need one.

Just asking, totally understand some folks fears about used amps.

Also have you checked its not a ground loop? A bit more description about what it is and what equipment you have might help us figure it out and fix it for ya.
post #23705 of 34926
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

frown.gif

what, if anything, did emo tech support say?

ya know....we are local to each other, it wouldn't be too difficult to set your xpa-5 up at my place to see if it buzzes in my set up.

Thanks,
I didn't get much out of them other than it's a hard thing to isolate/diagnose. I put the amp on a cheater plug, I disconnected everything and hooked up my cell phone to it. I have been trying different things when I have time but it's pretty much the end of the 30 day trial so I feel like I need to make the call is it a lemon or not.
post #23706 of 34926
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

Can I ask why you are not looking at used as well? Something from a company like Parasound or other? Wont have a warranty but if you buy right you dont need one.

Just asking, totally understand some folks fears about used amps.

Also have you checked its not a ground loop? A bit more description about what it is and what equipment you have might help us figure it out and fix it for ya.

I think the fear in the household is getting ripped off, or stolen from. I think my wife is starting to get to the point where she might let me buy from someone reputable on club polk or avs but not ebay or craigslist.
post #23707 of 34926
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

frown.gif

what, if anything, did emo tech support say?

ya know....we are local to each other, it wouldn't be too difficult to set your xpa-5 up at my place to see if it buzzes in my set up.

Thanks,
I didn't get much out of them other than it's a hard thing to isolate/diagnose. I put the amp on a cheater plug, I disconnected everything and hooked up my cell phone to it. I have been trying different things when I have time but it's pretty much the end of the 30 day trial so I feel like I need to make the call is it a lemon or not.

bring to my place...my xpa-5 doesn't hum, if yours hums in my room that's would be a good indication that yours is bad.

alternatively I could bring my 5 to you, but wont be able to do so until sunday at the earliest.
post #23708 of 34926
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post


I think the fear in the household is getting ripped off, or stolen from. I think my wife is starting to get to the point where she might let me buy from someone reputable on club polk or avs but not ebay or craigslist.


I prefer getting something off craigslist more than ebay since I can check it out before buying. Haven't been burned yet anyway. Forum member are usually good cause they don't want to get a bad name. At least the ones who've been a member for a good time. Hope you find what you want buddy.

post #23709 of 34926
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post

I think the fear in the household is getting ripped off, or stolen from. I think my wife is starting to get to the point where she might let me buy from someone reputable on club polk or avs but not ebay or craigslist.

Totally understand. While I wouldnt recommend ebay myself, I would recommend either audiogon or usaudiomart. As long as you use paypal though (even on ebay) you are protected if its a lemon.


With all that said
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post


I prefer getting something off craigslist more than ebay since I can check it out before buying. Haven't been burned yet anyway. Forum member are usually good cause they don't want to get a bad name. At least the ones who've been a member for a good time. Hope you find what you want buddy.

I agree with Stanley. I got lucky on my amp off CL as I didnt get to hear it beforehand. I have since bought ALL my gear I have off folks at CP forums or some of the other forums. All those transactions have been smooth and never had ANY issues that weren't resolved to both parties satisfaction.

Thats why I asked. If your comfortable with used, you can get some decent deals on the forums. Even Emotiva has a forum where folks sell their used emo amps which have a transferable discount. Understand though if burned once you wanna stay away from them.
post #23710 of 34926
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

Totally understand. While I wouldnt recommend ebay myself, I would recommend either audiogon or usaudiomart. As long as you use paypal though (even on ebay) you are protected if its a lemon.


With all that said
I agree with Stanley. I got lucky on my amp off CL as I didnt get to hear it beforehand. I have since bought ALL my gear I have off folks at CP forums or some of the other forums. All those transactions have been smooth and never had ANY issues that weren't resolved to both parties satisfaction.

Thats why I asked. If your comfortable with used, you can get some decent deals on the forums. Even Emotiva has a forum where folks sell their used emo amps which have a transferable discount. Understand though if burned once you wanna stay away from them.

I am not burned, I think there maybe a problem with the amp design that leads to some type of internal grounding issue or I need a power conditioner either way I was hoping emotiva would have been a little more quick and responsive. Thanks, for the markets to check out. I have found a local CL listing for xpa-3 and xpa-2 for $1000 but if their 4 years old I am thinking that price is high.
post #23711 of 34926
I'm going to give my dad my A4 for Christmas, but he doesn't have a receiver. Suggestions? Preferably in the $200 range as any advanced functions he is unlikely to use anyways. I was leaning towards a VSX-522 as I have the 822 and am pleased with it. Any other recommendations are welcome.
post #23712 of 34926
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleJester View Post

I'm going to give my dad my A4 for Christmas, but he doesn't have a receiver. Suggestions? Preferably in the $200 range as any advanced functions he is unlikely to use anyways. I was leaning towards a VSX-522 as I have the 822 and am pleased with it. Any other recommendations are welcome.

Honestly my suggestion is to hit CL and the forum sale ad's. Going to get the best bang for your buck there. Also check Accessories4less for refurbs, but at 200 your going to be working to get something decent.

I got lucky and found a closeout Yamaha for my Dad to drive his Monitor 40s and CS1 I gave him for 300 and that was a RIDICULOUS amount of work.

If your looking at non hdmi then you should be able to get something decent as it appears non hdmi avrs simply dont resell well AT ALL.
post #23713 of 34926
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

Honestly my suggestion is to hit CL and the forum sale ad's. Going to get the best bang for your buck there. Also check Accessories4less for refurbs, but at 200 your going to be working to get something decent.

I got lucky and found a closeout Yamaha for my Dad to drive his Monitor 40s and CS1 I gave him for 300 and that was a RIDICULOUS amount of work.

If your looking at non hdmi then you should be able to get something decent as it appears non hdmi avrs simply dont resell well AT ALL.
Itd have to at least be hdmi. I'll check out the local Craigslist though.
post #23714 of 34926
SEATTLE FELLA'S MAKE THIS YOUR NEXT PURCHASE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ele/4182753756.html
post #23715 of 34926
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

SEATTLE FELLA'S MAKE THIS YOUR NEXT PURCHASE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

 

I'd spring for that Carver TFM-45 if it were closer. I'm too lazy to drive that far. Great price. Geoff is a lot closer than I am but his wife would probably kill him. I'm surprised he's still alive now. I used to own the TFM-35 awhile back.

post #23716 of 34926
Great way to spend an evening.

post #23717 of 34926
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

Great way to spend an evening.



Damn...that's the biggest CD I've ever seen!! smile.gif
post #23718 of 34926
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

Great way to spend an evening.


Hey Ender, how do you like your Pro-Ject Carbon Turntable? I'm planning on upgrade my old Technics 1200MK2 and that's the one I have on radar smile.gif
post #23719 of 34926
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

I'd spring for that Carver TFM-45 if it were closer. I'm too lazy to drive that far. Great price. Geoff is a lot closer than I am but his wife would probably kill him. I'm surprised he's still alive now. I used to own the TFM-35 awhile back.

The big Gig is right across the bridge from me, the bridge is only 5min

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Actually, the knukonceptz Karma looks pretty bomb, tinned oxygen, twisted cable inside the jacket, 99. for a hun ft roll, not too bad.

Anyone here using this product or one very similar?

BUMP, anyone have an answer?
post #23720 of 34926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

I'd spring for that Carver TFM-45 if it were closer. I'm too lazy to drive that far. Great price. Geoff is a lot closer than I am but his wife would probably kill him. I'm surprised he's still alive now. I used to own the TFM-35 awhile back.

The big Gig is right across the bridge from me, the bridge is only 5min

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Actually, the knukonceptz Karma looks pretty bomb, tinned oxygen, twisted cable inside the jacket, 99. for a hun ft roll, not too bad.

Anyone here using this product or one very similar?

BUMP, anyone have an answer?

ya really want my opinion on wire?! really?! tongue.gif
post #23721 of 34926
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

ya really want my opinion on wire?! really?! tongue.gif

Yes yes, I've read that a few times over the years however, I want to set up a couple of cable runs using 10awg. I want it too look nice so I'll be using some thick covered cable. I have it narrowed down to; BJC, Douglasconnection and KnuKonceptz.

I'll be using Techflex, my own banana plugs and and heat shrink to finish them off.

Ba ba ba bump
post #23722 of 34926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

ya really want my opinion on wire?! really?! tongue.gif

Yes yes, I've read that a few times over the years however, I want to set up a couple of cable runs using 10awg. I want it too look nice so I'll be using some thick covered cable. I have it narrowed down to; BJC, Douglasconnection and KnuKonceptz.

I'll be using Techflex, my own banana plugs and and heat shrink to finish them off.

Ba ba ba bump

no worries. you got a sound plan....its all good brother.

post pics when you complete your project.
post #23723 of 34926
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

no worries. you got a sound plan....its all good brother.

post pics when you complete your project.

Thank you, I will do my best!!!

The knu K had the best price of the fat covering but is tinned OFCC, is that a good thing? So long as it conducts, I'm good, the price is the most attractive item in the 10g class.
post #23724 of 34926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

no worries. you got a sound plan....its all good brother.

post pics when you complete your project.

Thank you, I will do my best!!!

The knu K had the best price of the fat covering but is tinned OFCC, is that a good thing? So long as it conducts, I'm good, the price is the most attractive item in the 10g class.

tinning may help resist corrosion over a long period of time, but using OFC wire and your terminations that you use are the more important bits. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy wire pre-tinned. you can always tin yourself if you wish.

honestly I would get something like this and just diy the rest of the build. there is a good speaker cable diy thread 'round here somewheres.
post #23725 of 34926
if anyone is interested
Edited by 67jason - 11/15/13 at 4:32am
post #23726 of 34926
post #23727 of 34926

dang thats the lowest I've seen those for. I paid (iirc) $110 or $120 for mine a few years back.
post #23728 of 34926
not sure if any of you guys have seen this thread.....but oh damn...some folks got fleeced. eek.gif
post #23729 of 34926
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post

Hey Ender, how do you like your Pro-Ject Carbon Turntable? I'm planning on upgrade my old Technics 1200MK2 and that's the one I have on radar smile.gif

Very easy to setup. Sounds VERY GOOD straight to my Sunfire TGP-II. From what I have read the two suggested upgrades to really make it shine are to buy the acrylic platter (~120) and upgrade the cartridge to the Ortofon 2M Red (~100) and call it a day. You could upgrade the stylus on the existing cart but that is actually MORE expensive than the new cart. Also if you get the Red cartridge you can wait and buy the needle from the better Ortofon Blue later on and upgrade that way.

NeedleDoctor also recommended the Speed box, but since I dont have any 45's not worth it to me.

This TT is probably the best sounding I have had so far and despite being fully manual not a problem. I also have a Technics SL-B3 as well for when I want to use all those other functions smile.gif.
post #23730 of 34926
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

tinning may help resist corrosion over a long period of time, but using OFC wire and your terminations that you use are the more important bits. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy wire pre-tinned. you can always tin yourself if you wish.

honestly I would get something like this and just diy the rest of the build. there is a good speaker cable diy thread 'round here somewheres.

Here is the thread. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1301573/have-a-look-at-these-beauties-how-to-make-your-own-high-end-cables
I did my own after reading this.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread