or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 795

post #23821 of 34955
^^^^ don't forget the lotion next time Geoff!
post #23822 of 34955
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post

I'm seriously torn on a sub. The more I read the more confused I get. I like what I'm reading about the Rythmik LV12R, and it's got the form-factor perk (16"W would be helpful in my setup). But it's more than I wanted to spend right now. The BIC F12 has good reviews for something under $200, but so does the JBL ES250. I'd flip a coin, but I don't have one with enough sides...time to bust out the old D&D dice...
buy an LV12R now and maybe another later with the second sub discount. My unit rocks.
post #23823 of 34955
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

^^^^ don't forget the lotion next time Geoff!

How can I?? You left yours here that last time you brought your STYX collection over biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post

My unit rocks.

How dare you?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
post #23824 of 34955
Lmao@us....well mostly @ Geoff
post #23825 of 34955
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

Lmao@us....well mostly @ Geoff

Thank you, it's nice to be noticed biggrin.gif
post #23826 of 34955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

Lmao@us....well mostly @ Geoff

Thank you, it's nice to be noticed biggrin.gif
Any time my brother!
post #23827 of 34955
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

Any time my brother!

You know, speaking of leaving your collection over here, you really should get your a** over here and see what the fuss is all about with these monster mono blocks. I tried talking Stanley into bringing his new KEF's over here since he was "lacking power", but his body is too old to carry speakers that are too heavy for him and too big for his car, maybe you can stop over there and pick him and his speakers up before heading over biggrin.gif
post #23828 of 34955
One of these days Geoff...one of these days. Maybe next spring or summer. I gotta visit my mother in Oregon at some point
and when I do I could squeeze a day or three in wa with you and Stan.

You guys could also head down my way...pretzelfish is down my way as well.
post #23829 of 34955
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

One of these days Geoff...one of these days. Maybe next spring or summer. I gotta visit my mother in Oregon at some point
and when I do I could squeeze a day or three in wa with you and Stan.

You guys could also head down my way...pretzelfish is down my way as well.

Jason, that would so rock!! I might even have my house by then and you know what that means...............YES, both subs back in action and space to really let the legs out on these beasts!!!
post #23830 of 34955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post


What the heck are those??

post #23831 of 34955
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post

buy an LV12R now and maybe another later with the second sub discount. My unit rocks.

Forgive my ignorance, but "second sub discount"?
post #23832 of 34955
^^^ awesome! Just be wary, bare feet and the d4 don't mix too well.
post #23833 of 34955
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post



Hmmmm, so that's how you decide which sub to get biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

^^^ awesome! Just be wary, bare feet and the d4 don't mix too well.


???????
post #23834 of 34955
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

^^^ awesome! Just be wary, bare feet and the d4 don't mix too well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

???????

Translation: it hurts to step on a pyramid.
post #23835 of 34955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post



Hmmmm, so that's how you decide which sub to get biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

^^^ awesome! Just be wary, bare feet and the d4 don't mix too well.


???????
See the pyramid shaped dice? It's a 4 sided dice, called a d4...don't step on it with bare feet....it hurts yo!
post #23836 of 34955
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post


Translation: it hurts to step on a pyramid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

See the pyramid shaped dice? It's a 4 sided dice, called a d4...don't step on it with bare feet....it hurts yo!

LOL, you boys are just a couple of knot heads biggrin.gif
post #23837 of 34955
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post

Forgive my ignorance, but "second sub discount"?
2 lvr12's for 1070
post #23838 of 34955
I wish I could afford two of these bad boys: Rythmik Audio FV15HP

post #23839 of 34955
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post

I wish I could afford two of these bad boys: Rythmik Audio FV15HP

Yeah, that bad boy looks like it can shake your skeleton right from your skin eek.gif
post #23840 of 34955
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post

2 lvr12's for 1070

Does that only apply if you buy both at once? And (unrelated), how much space would I need between the port and the wall? I've read that you need at least the diameter of the port, but that seems like it would be less than a foot, maybe only 6" or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post

I wish I could afford two of these bad boys: Rythmik Audio FV15HP

One would be nice...
post #23841 of 34955
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post

I wish I could afford two of these bad boys: Rythmik Audio FV15HP

piano black with silver drivers!
post #23842 of 34955
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post

Does that only apply if you buy both at once? And (unrelated), how much space would I need between the port and the wall? I've read that you need at least the diameter of the port, but that seems like it would be less than a foot, maybe only 6" or so.
One would be nice...
There is a time period where you can get the discount, you would have to call them to find out the details. My lvr12 has been as close to 6" and I don't recall having a problem. It's currently 9 inches from the wall.
post #23843 of 34955
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post

There is a time period where you can get the discount, you would have to call them to find out the details. My lvr12 has been as close to 6" and I don't recall having a problem. It's currently 9 inches from the wall.

Thanks, was planning to call them Monday to see what they recommend for my space anyway. The room is around 3300^3 ft, but only half of that is the theater. Ceilings are 7.5' high, but there's a drop of about 8" in the middle of the room (concealing ductwork) that sort of separates the theater area from the rest of the room (which is basically an empty playroom). I'm not sure if one LV12R will be able to provide the kick I'm looking for, but I don't want to break the bank either, and I'm already looking at spending close to what I just spent for 5 new speakers on one sub (Newegg sale = CS2II, 2xM70II, & 2xM60II for $599 shipped)... It's also depressing knowing that I could get 2xJBL ES250s or BIC F12s for less than one LV12R. And I was also looking at SVS and PSA. And that's without even considering DIY (like this). I might need those dice after all...
Edited by cytoSiN - 11/16/13 at 7:50pm
post #23844 of 34955
post #23845 of 34955
+1. You can build a better sub (or 2) for less. IMHO plate amps suck. External amps are the way to go. Much more reliable.
post #23846 of 34955
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post

I wish I could afford two of these bad boys: Rythmik Audio FV15HP

 

I loved the one I had. One heck of a sub but I think I'll try the DIY route next and put my son to work. I sure do like watching other people work. It gives me a real sense of accomplishment without exerting myself.


Edited by XStanleyX - 11/16/13 at 9:58pm
post #23847 of 34955

Is that a sub dude thingy he has those speakers on or are my eyes deceiving me?

 

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ele/4196576857.html

post #23848 of 34955
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

Is that a sub dude thingy he has those speakers on or are my eyes deceiving me?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ele/4196576857.html

Its a subdude. They can be used for both sub and speaker isolation.
post #23849 of 34955
Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

I went DIY route. Went this route. But I had a external amp.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-15-ultimax-subwoofer-and-cabinet-package--300-7097

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG INJUN CHIEF View Post

+1. You can build a better sub (or 2) for less. IMHO plate amps suck. External amps are the way to go. Much more reliable.

What would you suggest with the Dayton that Migraine linked? I'm trying to spend $500 or less if possible. The Titanic Mk 4 is more ($629), but at least it's a complete package and relatively easy build for someone who is handy, but has never done this before (like me).

EDIT: Also, everything I'm looking at is ported, but the Dayton DIY stuff is not, but a lot people still make comparisons with the ported subs I'm looking at. What am I missing?
Edited by cytoSiN - 11/17/13 at 8:52am
post #23850 of 34955
There are a great deal of DIY designs in the DIY forums.

http://www.avsforum.com/f/155/diy-speakers-and-subs

I prefer horn loaded subs but they can be rather large. Mine are almost 6' tall and weigh ~150lbs. Often referred to as refrigerators.

The linked sub is a sealed unit. Sealed vs ported comes down to preference. Sealed subs usually extend deeper than ported but do not provide the output of a ported. Kits with amps offer convenience but I am not a fan of plate amps. I would pick up a kit sans amp. Purchase the amp separate. The Ultimax driver in the link is a great driver. I used it in my horns.

There is a fella on AVS that sells flat packs.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/subwoofer-flatpacks-2/sealed-subwoofer-flatpacks.html

Glue, clamp and go.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread