or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 796

post #23851 of 34826
Ported subs are good normally if your system is used mostly for HT. Ported will provide boomy bass with more punch.
Sealed/Enclosed subs have a tighter more accurate sound so more music friendly.
post #23852 of 34826
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG INJUN CHIEF View Post

Mine are almost 6' tall and weigh ~150lbs. Often referred to as refrigerators.

Wonderful little chuckle this morning, thank you for that smile.gif
post #23853 of 34826
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG INJUN CHIEF View Post

There are a great deal of DIY designs in the DIY forums.

http://www.avsforum.com/f/155/diy-speakers-and-subs

I prefer horn loaded subs but they can be rather large. Mine are almost 6' tall and weigh ~150lbs. Often referred to as refrigerators.

The linked sub is a sealed unit. Sealed vs ported comes down to preference. Sealed subs usually extend deeper than ported but do not provide the output of a ported. Kits with amps offer convenience but I am not a fan of plate amps. I would pick up a kit sans amp. Purchase the amp separate. The Ultimax driver in the link is a great driver. I used it in my horns.

There is a fella on AVS that sells flat packs.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/subwoofer-flatpacks-2/sealed-subwoofer-flatpacks.html

Glue, clamp and go.

This may be a really stupid question, but assuming I grab this and this, do you then just drill holes for threaded binding posts and plug the sub directly into your amp? Do you need a separate amp, or can a standard AVR (I'm using a Onkyo NR818 at the moment) provide enough power (I assume not)? I'll do some reading on the DIY forum but I may be in over my head without buying a kit with a plate amp, at least for my first time.

Also, while I'm misuing the Polk forum for general sub questions, any thoughts on whether the sealed Dayton 12" Titanic MK4, or any of the ported subs I mentioned (Rythmik LV12R is the front runner at the moment) would be enough for the room I described on the previous page (about 3300^3', about half of which is the theater area)?

Thanks for the info!
Edited by cytoSiN - 11/17/13 at 11:31am
post #23854 of 34826
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post

This may be a really stupid question, but assuming I grab this and this, do you then just drill holes for threaded binding posts and plug the sub directly into your amp? Do you need a separate amp, or can a standard AVR (I'm using a Onkyo NR818 at the moment) provide enough power (I assume not)? I'll do some reading on the DIY forum but I may be in over my head without buying a kit with a plate amp, at least for my first time.

Also, while I'm misuing the Polk forum for general sub questions, any thoughts on whether the sealed Dayton 12" Titanic MK4, or any of the ported subs I mentioned (Rythmik LV12R is the front runner at the moment) would be enough for the room I described on the previous page (about 3300^3', about half of which is the theater area)?

Thanks for the info!

A plate or external amp will be needed for that DIY sub. For that size room you will probably need dual subs.
post #23855 of 34826
Need help. The right channel rti8 has sound from the tweeter but not drivers. What should I do to fix it or find out if it's more serious? I tried switching the left and right, same speaker was the culprit.
post #23856 of 34826
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleJester View Post

Need help. The right channel rti8 has sound from the tweeter but not drivers. What should I do to fix it or find out if it's more serious?
Double check your binding post and jumper connections at the speaker. Also swap sides to see if the problem is the speaker or the amp channel.
post #23857 of 34826
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleJester View Post

Need help. The right channel rti8 has sound from the tweeter but not drivers. What should I do to fix it or find out if it's more serious? I tried switching the left and right, same speaker was the culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

Double check your binding post and jumper connections at the speaker. Also swap sides to see if the problem is the speaker or the amp channel.

I had a similar problem when I set up my 70s...the binding posts weren't seated properly and I was only getting sound from the tweeters. Removed all screws, reseated/screwed, problem solved.
post #23858 of 34826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

Double check your binding post and jumper connections at the speaker. Also swap sides to see if the problem is the speaker or the amp channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post


I had a similar problem when I set up my 70s...the binding posts weren't seated properly and I was only getting sound from the tweeters. Removed all screws, reseated/screwed, problem solved.
Thanks a bunch guys. My mind went worst case scenario on me lol. It's all good.
post #23859 of 34826
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleJester View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

Double check your binding post and jumper connections at the speaker. Also swap sides to see if the problem is the speaker or the amp channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post


I had a similar problem when I set up my 70s...the binding posts weren't seated properly and I was only getting sound from the tweeters. Removed all screws, reseated/screwed, problem solved.
Thanks a bunch guys. My mind went worst case scenario on me lol. It's all good.
Lol no worries it happens. smile.gif
post #23860 of 34826
That's twice in one weekend...must be contagious around here :-p
post #23861 of 34826
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

RTi A9's + RTi A3's + the magic element:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Bubble gum!!!







tongue.gif


can i also put my RTi A3's on top of my main like this and set it as a heights? what do you think guys?thanks
post #23862 of 34826
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

can i also put my RTi A3's on top of my main like this and set it as a heights? what do you think guys?thanks

You could, however I think this was more of a joke and I dont think thats his permanent setup. I would think you would want more vertical space between them, probably 2-3 feet so the sound starts really high above your head and transitions down. Otherwise the sound might get muddy as the sound moves from your heights to the Left/Right/Center.
post #23863 of 34826
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

You could, however I think this was more of a joke and I dont think thats his permanent setup. I would think you would want more vertical space between them, probably 2-3 feet so the sound starts really high above your head and transitions down. Otherwise the sound might get muddy as the sound moves from your heights to the Left/Right/Center.
Okay. Thanks. So i guess that would be a bad idea of in gonna do that. Hmmm
post #23864 of 34826
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post

This may be a really stupid question, but assuming I grab this and this, do you then just drill holes for threaded binding posts and plug the sub directly into your amp? Do you need a separate amp, or can a standard AVR (I'm using a Onkyo NR818 at the moment) provide enough power (I assume not)? I'll do some reading on the DIY forum but I may be in over my head without buying a kit with a plate amp, at least for my first time.

Not in over your head at all... Build the cabinet of choice and cut a hole for a terminal cup in the rear. Then place the terminal cup. Wire the cup to the driver, test polarity, then connect the amp to the sub terminals with interconnects. You will need separate amp.

I prefer these

http://www.parts-express.com/gold-recessed-5-way-banana-speaker-terminal-cup-rectangle--260-309

Let me know if I can further assist.

Horn loaded subs are known for their tight punchy bass. wink.gif

Edited by BIG INJUN CHIEF - 11/17/13 at 6:51pm
post #23865 of 34826
The problem is what to drive it with. All I have is my 818, and if I'm not using a plate amp I'd be looking at something that would likely run me at least up to the cost of the T1204K, no? I was looking at that kit in the first place because it's relatively small, and according to the limited discussions of the kit that I've read (here and elsewhere), it would outperform the other 12" ported subs I'm looking at, despite being sealed. I started a thread in the DIY forum to narrow my search, since this isn't really a Polk discussion any more, but I really appreciate all the help thus far!
Edited by cytoSiN - 11/17/13 at 7:00pm
post #23866 of 34826
You have many choices with respect to an amp. I drive my subs with a QSC RMX 1850. I picked my up from Pro Audio Star-refurb. I would go with Crown or QSC. But several have had great success with cheaper amps.

http://www.proaudiostar.com/live-sound/power-amps.html

Entry level:

http://www.parts-express.com/behringer-a500-reference-power-amplifier-2-x-300w--248-749 (a little light on power)

A few steps up the food chain:

http://www.parts-express.com/behringer-ep4000-europower-power-amplifier-2-x-1400w--248-748

Plate amps are ok, just not a favorite. Pro amps will offer the ability to drive additional subs as well. Look on the used market. Lots-o bargains out there.
post #23867 of 34826
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post


Okay. Thanks. So i guess that would be a bad idea of in gonna do that. Hmmm


If you ever run out of bad ideas let me know cause I've got enough for all of us.  :D 

post #23868 of 34826
Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

I went DIY route. Went this route. But I had a external amp.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-15-ultimax-subwoofer-and-cabinet-package--300-7097

What amp did you use and how is the performance of that prefab box and sub combo?
post #23869 of 34826
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

You could, however I think this was more of a joke and I dont think thats his permanent setup. I would think you would want more vertical space between them, probably 2-3 feet so the sound starts really high above your head and transitions down. Otherwise the sound might get muddy as the sound moves from your heights to the Left/Right/Center.

Thanks for clarifying that on my behalf Enders!
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

Okay. Thanks. So i guess that would be a bad idea of in gonna do that. Hmmm

Sorry about the confusion caloyzki!

I was just kidding when I took that pic. That is the reason I called them RTi "A"12 and I mentioned that I used bubble gum to put them together.

wink.gif
post #23870 of 34826
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

Thanks for clarifying that on my behalf Enders!
Sorry about the confusion caloyzki!

I was just kidding when I took that pic. That is the reason I called them RTi "A"12 and I mentioned that I used bubble gum to put them together.

wink.gif


What?????????? Why didn't you say so? You inconsiderate.........Don't you know what I did because of that "JOKE" picture????? I put my other set of A9's on top of the first!!!!!

I sure get the "Height" out of 'em that's for sure biggrin.gif
post #23871 of 34826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

Thanks for clarifying that on my behalf Enders!
Sorry about the confusion caloyzki!

I was just kidding when I took that pic. That is the reason I called them RTi "A"12 and I mentioned that I used bubble gum to put them together.

wink.gif


What?????????? Why didn't you say so? You inconsiderate.........Don't you know what I did because of that "JOKE" picture????? I put my other set of A9's on top of the first!!!!!

I sure get the "Height" out of 'em that's for sure biggrin.gif
jokijoking or not, I can actually see Geoff doing that with his a9's.

smile.gif
post #23872 of 34826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

What?????????? Why didn't you say so? You inconsiderate.........Don't you know what I did because of that "JOKE" picture????? I put my other set of A9's on top of the first!!!!!

I sure get the "Height" out of 'em that's for sure biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

jokijoking or not, I can actually see Geoff doing that with his a9's.

smile.gif

Agreed.... I just need a picture as confirmation....

I think he's going to keep buying up A9's until he has a wall of them surrounding his TV floor to ceiling...
post #23873 of 34826
Ok, it's official...I pulled the trigger even though my budget got slashed due to house emergencies like a new water heater, etc., but anyway I will soon be receiving a new pair of RTI8's along with a CSI5 Center Channel...woooo hoooo. I'll have to wait a couple of months for my surrounds, but I can still use my old Sony's for now, and my old sub.
So next up will be Surrounds, a new sub, and a new AVR (one with pre outs, and Audyssey or the like, and the ability to stream iTunes, etc...I'm sure I'll have tons of questions when the time comes).
Thanks to everyone that answered all of my questions and led me to this conclusion.
post #23874 of 34826
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post

Ok, it's official...I pulled the trigger even though my budget got slashed due to house emergencies like a new water heater, etc., but anyway I will soon be receiving a new pair of RTI8's along with a CSI5 Center Channel...woooo hoooo. I'll have to wait a couple of months for my surrounds, but I can still use my old Sony's for now, and my old sub.
So next up will be Surrounds, a new sub, and a new AVR (one with pre outs, and Audyssey or the like, and the ability to stream iTunes, etc...I'm sure I'll have tons of questions when the time comes).
Thanks to everyone that answered all of my questions and led me to this conclusion.

Congrats. Let us know how you like them. Specially with 2 ch music biggrin.gif
post #23875 of 34826
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Congrats. Let us know how you like them. Specially with 2 ch music biggrin.gif

Will do! I hopefully will get them on Wednesday so I have a couple of days to pull out some music I want to play. I might as well plan on getting nothing done the last half of the week. lol.
post #23876 of 34826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

What?????????? Why didn't you say so? You inconsiderate.........Don't you know what I did because of that "JOKE" picture????? I put my other set of A9's on top of the first!!!!!

I sure get the "Height" out of 'em that's for sure biggrin.gif

Not surprised even a bit..............tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

jokijoking or not, I can actually see Geoff doing that with his a9's.

smile.gif

And soon he will be adding another A9 as center channel too........wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post


Agreed.... I just need a picture as confirmation....

I think he's going to keep buying up A9's until he has a wall of them surrounding his TV floor to ceiling...

Didn't you notice about he is always talking about the new house? Now, can you tell me what material is he going to use for the walls, floor and ceiling?

And don't give him ideas on the speaker port:eek: or he is going to use one for the restroom.......eek.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post

Ok, it's official...I pulled the trigger even though my budget got slashed due to house emergencies like a new water heater, etc., but anyway I will soon be receiving a new pair of RTI8's along with a CSI5 Center Channel...woooo hoooo. I'll have to wait a couple of months for my surrounds, but I can still use my old Sony's for now, and my old sub.
So next up will be Surrounds, a new sub, and a new AVR (one with pre outs, and Audyssey or the like, and the ability to stream iTunes, etc...I'm sure I'll have tons of questions when the time comes).
Thanks to everyone that answered all of my questions and led me to this conclusion.

Welcome to the club..............wink.gif

Jokes aside, congrats on the speakers and please report back as soon you receive them!
post #23877 of 34826
I was wondering what your thoughts would be. I was thinking of getting a 200 or 250 watt mono block for my LSim room. to drive the 705's I have a 95 watt per channel Yamaha receiver in that room currently do you think I would benefit from another amp to drive the center channel(704)? I have 703 in use for surround.
post #23878 of 34826
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post

I was wondering what your thoughts would be. I was thinking of getting a 200 or 250 watt mono block for my LSim room. to drive the 705's I have a 95 watt per channel Yamaha receiver in that room currently do you think I would benefit from another amp to drive the center channel(704)? I have 703 in use for surround.

Yes it would. I would look into the Outlaw M200 / M2200, which are rated at 200 watt at 8 ohm, and 300 watt at 4 ohms. If you go to the Emotiva forum, there are several people selling XPA-2, XPA-3 and XPA-5 at reasonable prices as well. I would go for a XPA-2 at 300 wpc biggrin.gif
post #23879 of 34826
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post

Will do! I hopefully will get them on Wednesday so I have a couple of days to pull out some music I want to play. I might as well plan on getting nothing done the last half of the week. lol.

Sounds good. I listened to my co-workers RTi-A7's, and to me they were a bit on the bright side for music. However, he wasn't using an external amp to power them up either. I believe he was using an Onkyo with only 95 wpc in 2 channel mode. My Monitor 70's were pretty bright and fatiguing at high volume, but this changed when I put a QSC-GX3 amp 300 wpc, but I am not using 1 Outlaw M2200 and 1 Outlaw M200 to power them up. They sound much better, but once I start going at -7 dB's with the volume they start getting on the bright side. Granted I only go loud whenever I am by myself at home lol.
post #23880 of 34826
I was thinking of xpa-100 or m2200. I like the idea of collecting old xpa-2 but.. don't want to move 70 odd pounds around when I move my gear. It's possible I have some type of dc offset issue in my household power this, could explain some of the xpa-5 problems I had. It's said that smaller toroidal transformers deal with this condition better then the larger ones.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread