or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 806

post #24151 of 35436
So I watched the 50th Anniversary Blu-Ray of Lawrence of Arabia last night on my new setup (in sig), and I must say that in THX Cinema, I was disappointed with the volume I was able to achieve (without hiss, of course). I suspect it has something to do with the 50+ year-old audio transfer, but still. On any kind of digital processing (PLIIxMovie, etc), the hiss was so bad I couldn't watch even at reasonable volumes. I double checked all connections, and other "I'm an idiot" reasons (we call it PEBKAC in the computing world -- "problem exists between keyboard and chair"), but they all looked fine. So I'm assuming that I don't have enough power from my NR818 to properly drive these speakers, which is a shame. I'll double check with another movie this afternoon, but I'd love to hear your input as well.
post #24152 of 35436
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post

I suspect it has something to do with the 50+ year-old audio transfer, but still. On any kind of digital processing (PLIIxMovie, etc), the hiss was so bad I couldn't watch even at reasonable volumes..

Let's take a step back for a moment.

Yes, the Monitors, esp the 70, is a very power hungry speaker.

Now the lack of power issue, I don't believe is causing your hiss, on the contrary, I lost my AVR (807) to a week or two of repair. I was able to connect my amps to my 7.1 analogue pre-outs on my Oppo BRP. So now I have plenty of power available to my speakers yet I have this annoying hiss. Couldn't get rid of it.

Once I got the 807 back in place, the hiss went away. I have to believe it's an equalization problem.
post #24153 of 35436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Let's take a step back for a moment.

Yes, the Monitors, esp the 70, is a very power hungry speaker.

Now the lack of power issue, I don't believe is causing your hiss, on the contrary, I lost my AVR (807) to a week or two of repair. I was able to connect my amps to my 7.1 analogue pre-outs on my Oppo BRP. So now I have plenty of power available to my speakers yet I have this annoying hiss. Couldn't get rid of it.

Once I got the 807 back in place, the hiss went away. I have to believe it's an equalization problem.

Shouldn't audessy be taking care of that though?
post #24154 of 35436
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post



Shouldn't audessy be taking care of that though?
That's what I would think.

You have a very peculiar issue here.
post #24155 of 35436
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Let's take a step back for a moment.

Yes, the Monitors, esp the 70, is a very power hungry speaker.

Now the lack of power issue, I don't believe is causing your hiss, on the contrary, I lost my AVR (807) to a week or two of repair. I was able to connect my amps to my 7.1 analogue pre-outs on my Oppo BRP. So now I have plenty of power available to my speakers yet I have this annoying hiss. Couldn't get rid of it.

Once I got the 807 back in place, the hiss went away. I have to believe it's an equalization problem.

Shouldn't audessy be taking care of that though?

depends. if the source is the cause of the hissing then likely not. if the hissing is occuring after the avr then likely not. if it due to the avr (internal problem) then likely not.

if the hiss is due to some strange freq response of the speakers then maybe it will.

FWIW my 70's dont hiss and never have. i have ran them off a denon 1611, onkyo 809, emo xpa-5 and an emo xpa-2.

also again FWIW, my copy of the same version of lawrence of arabia sounds fantastic in my room...no audiblity issues or hissing sounds either. of course i dont use thx mode on my avr, as i have never heard a thx mode that i liked.

we need to figure out why you have hissing then we can correct the issue.
post #24156 of 35436
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post



we need to figure out why you have hissing then we can correct the issue.

Absolutely, I just don't believe the lack of power is causing this hiss. It's gotta be a set up issue with the 818?
post #24157 of 35436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post



we need to figure out why you have hissing then we can correct the issue.

Absolutely, I just don't believe the lack of power is causing this hiss. It's gotta be a set up issue with the 818?

could be an inernal problem or some sort of interfence. start with disconecting everything but the 2 front speakers and see if there is a hiss. add components one by one until the hiss is present. if that doesn't isolate the problem, then try resetting the processor and do set up all over again. if that doesn't isolate or correct the problem then a call to onkyo tech support is in order.
post #24158 of 35436

Hey guys I need some input here. I have a chance to get 2 Polk Audio RT55's, 2 Polk Audio RT/FX's (Bi-pole/di-pole? I think?) and a CS350 center channel for $150. All lightly used and in great shape. I've never owned anything Polk Audio only Mirage and Infinity. Would this be a good buy?

post #24159 of 35436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda House View Post

Hey guys I need some input here. I have a chance to get 2 Polk Audio RT55's, 2 Polk Audio RT/FX's (Bi-pole/di-pole? I think?) and a CS350 center channel for $150. All lightly used and in great shape. I've never owned anything Polk Audio only Mirage and Infinity. Would this be a good buy?

thats sounds like a heck of deal....what you waiting for?!
post #24160 of 35436

I'm pretty sure you're right I'm reading reviews about all of them and they seem to do very well

post #24161 of 35436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda House View Post

Hey guys I need some input here. I have a chance to get 2 Polk Audio RT55's, 2 Polk Audio RT/FX's (Bi-pole/di-pole? I think?) and a CS350 center channel for $150. All lightly used and in great shape. I've never owned anything Polk Audio only Mirage and Infinity. Would this be a good buy?

The center channel alone is worth the deal. Jump on it.
post #24162 of 35436

Thanks guys! I'm picking them up tomorrow morning. The RT/FX are bi-pole and di-pole correct?

post #24163 of 35436
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

could be an inernal problem or some sort of interfence. start with disconecting everything but the 2 front speakers and see if there is a hiss. add components one by one until the hiss is present. if that doesn't isolate the problem, then try resetting the processor and do set up all over again. if that doesn't isolate or correct the problem then a call to onkyo tech support is in order.

OK I'll give that a try this afternoon. Like I said, it was fine in THX mode (if you prefer another mode on Onkyo receivers, what should I use?), I just couldnt go room-shaking loud without some ambient hiss. It also doesn't help that my VT60 makes its own mild buzz (as do all plasmas), further confusing me. I actually don't have my surrounds connected right now as I took them down to build better mounts, so it's just a 5.0 system with 70s, 60s, and CS2, as in my sig. I'm going to start by rerunning Audessy (when my neighbors' annoying gardeners go away), and if it's still there I'll disconnect/reconnect as you suggest. Just so I'm clear, just rerunning Audessy should reset everything right? Or do I somehow need to clear everything first? Also, last question, there's an AudessyEQ setting that is either movie/music/off. What do you recommend. Thanks guys smile.gif
post #24164 of 35436

Panda-

That CC used to be their flagship CC. I used to own it. Pretty decent speaker. I agree with jumping on it.

post #24165 of 35436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda House View Post

Thanks guys! I'm picking them up tomorrow morning. The RT/FX are bi-pole and di-pole correct?

Not 100% sure but most likely with the FX series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post

OK I'll give that a try this afternoon. Like I said, it was fine in THX mode (if you prefer another mode on Onkyo receivers, what should I use?), I just couldnt go room-shaking loud without some ambient hiss. It also doesn't help that my VT60 makes its own mild buzz (as do all plasmas), further confusing me. I actually don't have my surrounds connected right now as I took them down to build better mounts, so it's just a 5.0 system with 70s, 60s, and CS2, as in my sig. I'm going to start by rerunning Audessy (when my neighbors' annoying gardeners go away), and if it's still there I'll disconnect/reconnect as you suggest. Just so I'm clear, just rerunning Audessy should reset everything right? Or do I somehow need to clear everything first? Also, last question, there's an AudessyEQ setting that is either movie/music/off. What do you recommend. Thanks guys smile.gif

When you say you have your surrounds disconnected but you're running 5 speakers, I'm a little confused by that. My AVR won't let me run a 5.0 without the surrounds employed.

For the EQ m/m/o, is this an option prior to running Audyssey? or after. Also, yes, Audyssey will reset your settings, you don't have to clear anything.

After you've run Audyssey, then you can either set the EQ to movie while watching movies, music while in 2ch, or off all together. Personally, I run my EQ on.
post #24166 of 35436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post


When you say you have your surrounds disconnected but you're running 5 speakers, I'm a little confused by that. My AVR won't let me run a 5.0 without the surrounds employed.

For the EQ m/m/o, is this an option prior to running Audyssey? or after. Also, yes, Audyssey will reset your settings, you don't have to clear anything.

After you've run Audyssey, then you can either set the EQ to movie while watching movies, music while in 2ch, or off all together. Personally, I run my EQ on.

You are correct sir, my bad. I refer to the 60s as my rears, since that's where they are, but they're connected as the surrounds. Silly illogical speaker-placement terminology! Fear not, however, as I have everything plugged into the right place.

I will check the EQ settings apart from Audessy. I'm sure there's something, but I have not yet fiddled with a traditional EQ, where you set the value for each frequency on the scale.
post #24167 of 35436
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post



I will check the EQ settings apart from Audessy. I'm sure there's something, but I have not yet fiddled with a traditional EQ, where you set the value for each frequency on the scale.

Same here. I let Audyssey set things then tweak here and there. Mostly my Center from 40 to 60Hz, then I'm backing off my surrounds with db as they are very hot in my small area.
post #24168 of 35436
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

could be an inernal problem or some sort of interfence. start with disconecting everything but the 2 front speakers and see if there is a hiss. add components one by one until the hiss is present. if that doesn't isolate the problem, then try resetting the processor and do set up all over again. if that doesn't isolate or correct the problem then a call to onkyo tech support is in order.

OK I'll give that a try this afternoon. Like I said, it was fine in THX mode (if you prefer another mode on Onkyo receivers, what should I use?), I just couldnt go room-shaking loud without some ambient hiss. It also doesn't help that my VT60 makes its own mild buzz (as do all plasmas), further confusing me. I actually don't have my surrounds connected right now as I took them down to build better mounts, so it's just a 5.0 system with 70s, 60s, and CS2, as in my sig. I'm going to start by rerunning Audessy (when my neighbors' annoying gardeners go away), and if it's still there I'll disconnect/reconnect as you suggest. Just so I'm clear, just rerunning Audessy should reset everything right? Or do I somehow need to clear everything first? Also, last question, there's an AudessyEQ setting that is either movie/music/off. What do you recommend. Thanks guys smile.gif

there is a button sequence that will reset the micorprossor that i cant recall off the top of my head. check the owners manual. rerunning audyssey should override most/all settings.

as far as modes i prefer - play all movies in straight decode - meaning i get whatever is on the disc - what dts or dd format is encoded. for no surround tv/movies i use PLII faux surround sound. For movies/TV i use audyssey movie curve and dynamic eq and on rare occasions (late at night) i will engage dynamic volume, usually light. for tv i set the reference level offset to 10, for movies i leave it at 0.
post #24169 of 35436
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumprunlogan View Post

Do you absolutely need a receiver with preamp outputs to add an amp? If so can anyone recommend a good receiver with preamp outputs in the sub <400 range? I plan on buying the Rti A5's or A7's for my fronts by Christmas time and am currently using the Denon 1513.

I had a Yamaha RX-667 in my system for a few years prior to moving on. Great unit, small power supply. YPAO did not like my subs so you may need to calibrate with an SPL meter. I ran the unit with three amps-center-mains and subs. The unit is equipped with pre-outs for 7.2. You can often find them refurb for ~$300 and used for less.
post #24170 of 35436
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

there is a button sequence that will reset the micorprossor that i cant recall off the top of my head. check the owners manual. rerunning audyssey should override most/all settings.

as far as modes i prefer - play all movies in straight decode - meaning i get whatever is on the disc - what dts or dd format is encoded. for no surround tv/movies i use PLII faux surround sound. For movies/TV i use audyssey movie curve and dynamic eq and on rare occasions (late at night) i will engage dynamic volume, usually light. for tv i set the reference level offset to 10, for movies i leave it at 0.

I found the procedure on the reset button for my 807 on youtube.

If I don't use the dynamic med setting on my AVR, my 12 7" woofers will rattle the whole place, initiating a txt or call from my neighbors biggrin.gif
post #24171 of 35436
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleJester View Post

Pictures really don't do the PS4 justice. Maybe the best looking console ever I'd say. I don't get the same "that's purty" feeling when I see my One.

I totally agree with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post

Well finally found a pretty good deal on a pair of RTiA9s... hair over $1k for a new cherry pair including shipping!
I already have the A6 center and using the Monitor 30s... high wall mounted for side, rear and front height surround speakers....
Currently running the Denon 4311 receiver with no external amp but will be looking into an Emotiva in the near future, if I deem it necessary.
Anyway do you guys have any placement recomendations or Audyssey preferences...

Pretty cool setup...........congrats!!

The good thing about the 4311 is that is a powerful AVR, so you should be able to enjoy your system until you are able to find the right amp (performance/price wise).

I do have a similar setup (A9's, A6 and 4311) and I enjoy it a lot. But, I have Emotiva amps driving my speakers. I love the fact that I can listening movies/music at loud levels without any distortion and/or risk of clipping the speakers.

Finally...........where are the pics?

wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleJester View Post

I skimmed your post. I sensed spoilers.

The force is strong with this one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

I'm not normally up this late like you youngins are but I gots me some new family members to play with. Too good a deal to pass up. Vintage like me.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Man, those speakers look amazing! What are your initial impressions on them?
post #24172 of 35436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

there is a button sequence that will reset the micorprossor that i cant recall off the top of my head. check the owners manual. rerunning audyssey should override most/all settings.

as far as modes i prefer - play all movies in straight decode - meaning i get whatever is on the disc - what dts or dd format is encoded. for no surround tv/movies i use PLII faux surround sound. For movies/TV i use audyssey movie curve and dynamic eq and on rare occasions (late at night) i will engage dynamic volume, usually light. for tv i set the reference level offset to 10, for movies i leave it at 0.

I found the procedure on the reset button for my 807 on youtube.

If I don't use the dynamic med setting on my AVR, my 12 7" woofers will rattle the whole place, initiating a txt or call from my neighbors biggrin.gif


neighbors suck! tongue.gif
post #24173 of 35436
I thought PLII was only for 2-channel input?
post #24174 of 35436
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post

I thought PLII was only for 2-channel input?

it is, thats what i use for non suround content - aka 2 channel content. mostly tv or netflix stuff.
post #24175 of 35436
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

more info needed - you playing a source with x.1 content?
do you have your sub "enabled" in the set up menu of your avr?
do you have your speakers set to small? if so what crossover?
:facepalm: I ran MCACC before I left town and assumed it set my speakers as small. It didn't.
post #24176 of 35436
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleJester View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

more info needed - you playing a source with x.1 content?
do you have your sub "enabled" in the set up menu of your avr?
do you have your speakers set to small? if so what crossover?
:facepalm: I ran MCACC before I left town and assumed it set my speakers as small. It didn't.

bright side....easy and cheap fix!
post #24177 of 35436
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post



Man, those speakers look amazing! What are your initial impressions on them?

 

Very smooth sounding. More of a UK sound to them like B&W and KEF. The owner really took care of them and it took him a week before he took my offer. Either he needed the money or doesn't have the patience I do when selling. The grill covers look nearly new. First time I've been able to listen to some ADS speakers. Very impressed with them.

post #24178 of 35436
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post


[/B]

neighbors suck! tongue.gif


That's why I'm glad I don't live next to you!  :D 

post #24179 of 35436
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

[/B]


neighbors suck! tongue.gif


That's why I'm glad I don't live next to you!  biggrin.gif  

Ya you'd go hoarse yelling at me to give off our lawn!

crazy old koot!tongue.gif
post #24180 of 35436
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post


Ya you'd go hoarse yelling at me to give off our lawn!

crazy old koot!tongue.gif


I guess there's no denying that. :D 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread