or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 816

post #24451 of 34863

That's how I do it.

post #24452 of 34863
ok, so it seems some of the subwoofer manufacturers are having some sales. (some are still out of my range)

svs pb 1000 (regulare priced at $500)
outlaw lfm 1plus (sale $500 shipped. )
rhythmik lv12r (regular priced $589)
hsu VTF-2 MK4 (sale for $529)

I'm leaning towards the outlaw since it seems be the best "deal", or the svs for since its the cheapest (and everyone seems to like svs customer service). I don't think either one will be a wrong choice. Someone here recommended the rythmik over the svs but i wouldn't mind getting more opinions.

also, i know speakers and receivers and tv all have some magnetic shield feature, do I have to worry about placing these subs to close to anything???
post #24453 of 34863
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimDub13 View Post

It certainly helps to do your research and be patient if you want to do it right the first time.

Or you can do what I did and just buy stuff until you find something you like. biggrin.gif

BTW looks like I've finally sold a couple pair of M60's and M50's.
The rest can go into our retirement condo.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
post #24454 of 34863
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post



That's how I do it.

Mine never turns out good when I use that recipe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

Or you can do what I did and just buy stuff until you find something you like. biggrin.gif

BTW looks like I've finally sold a couple pair of M60's and M50's.
The rest can go into our retirement condo.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Happy T-Day Rob
post #24455 of 34863
Due to scheduling conflicts, I will join my wife for Thanksgiving this Sunday...............so for now, we eat TEXAS style biggrin.gif



post #24456 of 34863
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post

Yeah, but it's all framed out and drywalled, so I should be able to use anchors at least, but I doubt there are reliable studs under there. Here's a bad cell phone pic for now. I can post better pics later. The other side is the same, but it's on a full wall, so I could put in a full shelf. I've been using cheap shelves from Ikea for this sort of thing, and they've worked great. Square "Lack" shelves are like $7, and the longer ones are about $15. I'd use the same here if I had room.



EDIT: Ok so I'm an idiot. It is covering ductowrk, but it's mostly covering the I-Beam that supports my house. So there's some room in there, including studs. So I COULD mount a sturdy shelf, but what good speaker is under 6" tall? None that I'm aware of. So I'd have to come up with something that drops down below the ceiling drop. That would be fine with me if possible, but it seems tricky... It's also why I was considering something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-RC65i-In-Wall-Speakers/dp/B00005T3C8 But I'm not sure I have room inside the dry wall for that either...


I have a pair of RC85i without use. I was using them before as back surround speakers. If you are interested send me a PM, we can work a deal on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post



That's how I do it.


Yes, but your personal recipe doesn't include turkey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassConfusion View Post

ok, so it seems some of the subwoofer manufacturers are having some sales. (some are still out of my range)

svs pb 1000 (regulare priced at $500)
outlaw lfm 1plus (sale $500 shipped. )
rhythmik lv12r (regular priced $589)
hsu VTF-2 MK4 (sale for $529)

I'm leaning towards the outlaw since it seems be the best "deal", or the svs for since its the cheapest (and everyone seems to like svs customer service). I don't think either one will be a wrong choice. Someone here recommended the rythmik over the svs but i wouldn't mind getting more opinions.

also, i know speakers and receivers and tv all have some magnetic shield feature, do I have to worry about placing these subs to close to anything???


I would recommend you to get in touch with Dave Keidel at AVScience. His information below:


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
He goes at this forum as jdsmoothie. And ask him for a price quote on the PB-1000. Really nice guy, no pressure to buy. Just let him give you his best price and enjoy!

Dave "JD" Keidel
AV Science, Inc.
1255 University Avenue
Suite 130
Rochester, NY 14607
Ph. (585) 454-1460 Ext 103
Direct (585) 645-1006
www.avscience.com
post #24457 of 34863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Due to scheduling conflicts, I will join my wife for Thanksgiving this Sunday...............so for now, we eat TEXAS style biggrin.gif


Is that avocado to the left!?!?!

Are you making guacamole?

tongue.gif
post #24458 of 34863
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

Is that avocado to the left!?!?!

Are you making guacamole?

tongue.gif

It looks more like this eek.gif

post #24459 of 34863
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post

It looks more like this eek.gif


There is something wrong with that pic..............tongue.gif
post #24460 of 34863
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

I have a pair of RC85i without use. I was using them before as back surround speakers. If you are interested send me a PM, we can work a deal on them.
Yes, but your personal recipe doesn't include turkey!
I would recommend you to get in touch with Dave Keidel at AVScience. His information below:


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
He goes at this forum as jdsmoothie. And ask him for a price quote on the PB-1000. Really nice guy, no pressure to buy. Just let him give you his best price and enjoy!

Dave "JD" Keidel
AV Science, Inc.
1255 University Avenue
Suite 130
Rochester, NY 14607
Ph. (585) 454-1460 Ext 103
Direct (585) 645-1006
www.avscience.com

Thanks. Just sent him a pm. Hope i hear back from him before any of the sales are over.

Everyone on this thread has been a huge help
post #24461 of 34863
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimDub13 View Post


Pretty much the way i have been going about things.

Got the A7s that the Polk 50 off in August. Picked up the CSI A6 on ebay for $180.00. Got the Fxi A6 new from a forum member at polk at about $270.00.
May add the A3s in good time but can hold off on that while a receiver and a good sub ( x2) are the next in line.

Also looking at the NR818 in addition to : NR809 (?) , X4000, 4311 or the SC lines of the Pioneers. Hopefully i can score a good deal this holiday season as i have with the other components.

It certainly helps to do your research and be patient if you want to do it right the first time.


If I can get the CSIA6 for $180, I would be all over it, but I haven't seen it move from the $277.99 that they have listed!!!

post #24462 of 34863
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassConfusion View Post

Thanks. Just sent him a pm. Hope i hear back from him before any of the sales are over.

Everyone on this thread has been a huge help

Cool. Wait a bit for him and hopefully, he will give you a great deal. I purchased a SVS SB-1000 with his help.

Everybody here will be able to help to save you money, so you can buy more gear................wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKPolkMe View Post


If I can get the CSIA6 for $180, I would be all over it, but I haven't seen it move from the $277.99 that they have listed!!!

Did you check at your local Craigslist? From time to time you find really good deal there......YMMV.

Now, if the dude selling the speaker is called "Stan" and he is located in Seattle...........then run for your life.........tongue.gif
post #24463 of 34863
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKPolkMe View Post


If I can get the CSIA6 for $180, I would be all over it, but I haven't seen it move from the $277.99 that they have listed!!!
A couple of us in here have bought the CSI5 for $100 after looking around some.
post #24464 of 34863
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post


Now, if the dude selling the speaker is called "Stan" and he is located in Seattle...........then run for your life.........tongue.gif


Yeah well as long as he leaves his money first he won't have to run.

post #24465 of 34863

I think I'm allergic to Thanksgiving. My belly is all swollen up.

post #24466 of 34863
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

Is that avocado to the left!?!?!

Are you making guacamole?

tongue.gif

Yes and no. Enrico's frogs are making guacamole, I just put the avocado in the taco with some Pace
post #24467 of 34863
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post


Yeah well as long as he leaves his money first he won't have to run.

ROFL.........good one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

I think I'm allergic to Thanksgiving. My belly is all swollen up.

It must be a virus spreading over the internet...........it is the same here in Georgia!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Yes and no. Enrico's frogs are making guacamole, I just put the avocado in the taco with some Pace

I can't take these grogs making guacamole out of my head............thanks Enrico!

mad.gif
post #24468 of 34863
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post



That's how I do it.

This has got to be one of the funniest things I've ever read. Thanks for the good laugh Stanley. It helps work to pass, gotta love retail!! Only another hour and a half and I'm free. I don't post on this forum much but it's one I follow every day and I wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving to all. Hopefully by this time next year I'll have an RTi setup. After losing everything in a fire earlier this year including my energy sub, 7.1 Polk Moniter setup and Yamaha receiver I can only hope my luck and misfortune will turn around. We shall see. All that being said I'm still thankful for all that I have and the family I have left as well as my small circle of friends who are really family too. Anyway I really enjoy this forum and keeping my self informed with the wealth of info you all provide, especially the regulars such as Stanley, Geoff, cr and a few others. I'm sure most of you are in an alcohol/turkey induced coma dreaming of amps, mono blocks and Lsi's. :-)
post #24469 of 34863
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper186 View Post

This has got to be one of the funniest things I've ever read. Thanks for the good laugh Stanley. It helps work to pass, gotta love retail!! Only another hour and a half and I'm free. I don't post on this forum much but it's one I follow every day and I wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving to all. Hopefully by this time next year I'll have an RTi setup. After losing everything in a fire earlier this year including my energy sub, 7.1 Polk Moniter setup and Yamaha receiver I can only hope my luck and misfortune will turn around. We shall see. All that being said I'm still thankful for all that I have and the family I have left as well as my small circle of friends who are really family too. Anyway I really enjoy this forum and keeping my self informed with the wealth of info you all provide, especially the regulars such as Stanley, Geoff, cr and a few others. I'm sure most of you are in an alcohol/turkey induced coma dreaming of amps, mono blocks and Lsi's. :-)

Thank you for your kind words viper!!! Off today, work tomorrow, so I'm saving my stupor for this weekend. Just winding up the Clapton Complete double CD, fixin to put in Man of Steel and let the rest of the speakers play.

Thanks for popping in, very sorry to hear of your misfortune, things will turn around my friend, they must!!!!

Don't be a stranger, your 2cents are welcome here always!

Now, time for some (more) pie and a movie biggrin.gif
post #24470 of 34863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Thank you for your kind words viper!!! Off today, work tomorrow, so I'm saving my stupor for this weekend. Just winding up the Clapton Complete double CD, fixin to put in Man of Steel and let the rest of the speakers play.

Thanks for popping in, very sorry to hear of your misfortune, things will turn around my friend, they must!!!!

Don't be a stranger, your 2cents are welcome here always!

Now, time for some (more) pie and a movie biggrin.gif

Why thank you kind sir, you are quite welcome. What can I say, I'm feeling sentimental on this day of Thanks. Please don't misconstrue my post as a sob story or sympathy, I was merely thinking out loud I suppose. Thanks though! It seems 2013 blew a big one for me but it also seems as if it was a bad year for a lot of people or maybe just a lot of people that I know lol. Either way 2014 can't go anywhere but up, I hope. Ohhh Clapton, Man of Steel, which I STILL haven't seen among other movies, and the day off?? Sounds like the trifecta off good times, especially through some underated Polk's!! I made an idiotic post way back in this forum after I had just joined and have been laying low for a bit I suppose but I plan on adding my two cents (sense?lol) whenever applicable. What can I say, I can't be perfect all the time!! Wait or is it I'm less then perfect most all of the time?? Ahhh anyway I had a huge meal before I came into work around 4:00 EST with pumkin pie. Then I came here and saw they had Apple pie. Well FREE+Apple pie= my mouth but I do believe I regret it. It was soo delicious though......yeah and worth it. smile.gif
post #24471 of 34863
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper186 View Post


This has got to be one of the funniest things I've ever read. Thanks for the good laugh Stanley. It helps work to pass, gotta love retail!! Only another hour and a half and I'm free. I don't post on this forum much but it's one I follow every day and I wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving to all. Hopefully by this time next year I'll have an RTi setup. After losing everything in a fire earlier this year including my energy sub, 7.1 Polk Moniter setup and Yamaha receiver I can only hope my luck and misfortune will turn around. We shall see. All that being said I'm still thankful for all that I have and the family I have left as well as my small circle of friends who are really family too. Anyway I really enjoy this forum and keeping my self informed with the wealth of info you all provide, especially the regulars such as Stanley, Geoff, cr and a few others. I'm sure most of you are in an alcohol/turkey induced coma dreaming of amps, mono blocks and Lsi's. :-)

 

Yep, life throws a curve at you sometimes and most of us have seen worse times. Welcome to the fold and visit often if you can. Great group of guys here.

post #24472 of 34863
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper186 View Post

This has got to be one of the funniest things I've ever read. Thanks for the good laugh Stanley. It helps work to pass, gotta love retail!! Only another hour and a half and I'm free. I don't post on this forum much but it's one I follow every day and I wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving to all. Hopefully by this time next year I'll have an RTi setup. After losing everything in a fire earlier this year including my energy sub, 7.1 Polk Moniter setup and Yamaha receiver I can only hope my luck and misfortune will turn around. We shall see. All that being said I'm still thankful for all that I have and the family I have left as well as my small circle of friends who are really family too. Anyway I really enjoy this forum and keeping my self informed with the wealth of info you all provide, especially the regulars such as Stanley, Geoff, cr and a few others. I'm sure most of you are in an alcohol/turkey induced coma dreaming of amps, mono blocks and Lsi's. :-)

Yep, life throws a curve at you sometimes and most of us have seen worse times. Welcome to the fold and visit often if you can. Great group of guys here.

'cept for geoff...he smells funny!

and he has been know to do some very "unnatural" things to his A9's once the lights go down. eek.gif
post #24473 of 34863

People just like you I'm a Polk Audio owner and I have a question that maybe have been answered a lot of times but I would like to get my own answer. What would be better for music and movies: a pair of Monitor70 Series II tower speakers alone or a pair of Monitor30 or 40 Series II bookshelf speakers and a sub? I'm looking for a match to my CS1 center channel speaker.

post #24474 of 34863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Happy Thanksgiving Chief!!!

Heeyyyyyyyy, you fixin to mix it up with some pilgrims??? biggrin.gif

Me and my peoples let that one go some time ago tongue.gif
post #24475 of 34863
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLouis1971 View Post

People just like you I'm a Polk Audio owner and I have a question that maybe have been answered a lot of times but I would like to get my own answer. What would be better for music and movies: a pair of Monitor70 Series II tower speakers alone or a pair of Monitor30 or 40 Series II bookshelf speakers and a sub? I'm looking for a match to my CS1 center channel speaker.

How big is the room they're going to be in? The reason why I ask is that for movies, you definitely want a sub, so in the question you pose, I would pick the 40's and a good sub if the room wasn't too large. However, I don't believe the 40's are technically as good for music as the 70's and you would have to get some stands so price wise and for an overall HT/Music experience, I would take the 70's and a sub (not one of your choices).
post #24476 of 34863
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLouis1971 View Post

People just like you I'm a Polk Audio owner and I have a question that maybe have been answered a lot of times but I would like to get my own answer. What would be better for music and movies: a pair of Monitor70 Series II tower speakers alone or a pair of Monitor30 or 40 Series II bookshelf speakers and a sub? I'm looking for a match to my CS1 center channel speaker.

objectively speaking, there is a lot of merit to having bookshelf speakers that can go down to 60ish hz coupled with a good subwoofer and through the use of your avr's bass management set an 80hz crossover.

subjectively there's nothin like staring down a big-ass tower w/ 4 6 1/2 in. drivers (or more/bigger) while chilin with your favorite adult beverage and with your favorite tunes.

between having the 70's without a sub and the 40's with a sub - it depends on what sub you are talking about - something like the polk psw10 - no thanks, i'd take the 70's any day. Now if you were to pair the 40's with something a SVS PB-1000 then this would kill the 70's all day long.

fwiw, I favor towers w/ a sub over (most) bookshelf speakers w/ a sub even though there is no really good technical reason to do so.tongue.gif

also since you have the cs1 center channel already, you might be better off pairing that with the 50's or 60's rather then the 70's. the 70's really need the matching cs2. I have used the cs2 paired with the 70's and 60's and it is an awesome pairing (considering these are budget minded speakers wink.gif) I have also used the cs1 with pretty good results paired with the 40's, 50's and 60's - the 60's are sorta borderline and work really good paired with both the cs1 and cs2 at least in my setups. some would tell you to get the cs2 no matter what and forget the cs1 even exists.
post #24477 of 34863
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLouis1971 View Post

People just like you I'm a Polk Audio owner and I have a question that maybe have been answered a lot of times but I would like to get my own answer. What would be better for music and movies: a pair of Monitor70 Series II tower speakers alone or a pair of Monitor30 or 40 Series II bookshelf speakers and a sub? I'm looking for a match to my CS1 center channel speaker.

How big is the room they're going to be in? The reason why I ask is that for movies, you definitely want a sub, so in the question you pose, I would pick the 40's and a good sub if the room wasn't too large. However, I don't believe the 40's are technically as good for music as the 70's and you would have to get some stands so price wise and for an overall HT/Music experience, I would take the 70's and a sub (not one of your choices).

you'd be surprised at how good the 40's are for music. i had a pair of 40's ran off a vintage marantz (not one of the cool late 70's ones - mine was circa '83 or '84). this was my pc audio set up and the 40's did very well. much better then i expected. they surprised me. obviously they cant dig as deep or fill a room as well as the 70's, but for a quasi near-feild pc set up it was great.
post #24478 of 34863
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

you'd be surprised at how good the 40's are for music. i had a pair of 40's ran off a vintage marantz (not one of the cool late 70's ones - mine was circa '83 or '84). this was my pc audio set up and the 40's did very well. much better then i expected. they surprised me. obviously they cant dig as deep or fill a room as well as the 70's, but for a quasi near-feild pc set up it was great.

That's what makes the OP's question a bit restrictive. What's better, this or that. It's not that easy. As you said, the 40's (and for that matter most of the top end on a particular line Polk bookshelfs) are good for music, but are they as good as the best tower in the same line? Probably, technically no...but will they be enjoyed?...probably yes. Jason brings up a good point about the CS1, so I will amend my opinion to picking the 70's and a good sub and also biting the bullet and upgrading the CS1 to the CS2.
post #24479 of 34863
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

you'd be surprised at how good the 40's are for music. i had a pair of 40's ran off a vintage marantz (not one of the cool late 70's ones - mine was circa '83 or '84). this was my pc audio set up and the 40's did very well. much better then i expected. they surprised me. obviously they cant dig as deep or fill a room as well as the 70's, but for a quasi near-feild pc set up it was great.

That's what makes the OP's question a bit restrictive. What's better, this or that. It's not that easy. As you said, the 40's (and for that matter most of the top end on a particular line Polk bookshelfs) are good for music, but are they as good as the best tower in the same line? Probably, technically no...but will they be enjoyed?...probably yes. Jason brings up a good point about the CS1, so I will amend my opinion to picking the 70's and a good sub and also biting the bullet and upgrading the CS1 to the CS2.

yeah his question is highly subjective. and in order to really answer it in the best way we need to know what sub he is considering pairing with the 40's. like i mentioned above, if it is something like the psw10 turd then no way would that be "better" then the 70's on their own.
post #24480 of 34863
Basic question re: double-shielded RCA cables and "noise." Regardless of shielding, shorter runs are less susceptible, right? Can I lump 4, 6, 8 ft into the same category of "short run"? Or should I use the shortest possible no matter what?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread