or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 882

post #26431 of 35356
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post


They had some higher priced ones up to $400 that I saw but were not rated as high as the Grado's. For what that's worth again.

it's the Grado's I'm looking at. Are the 400. one's you're talking about Grado's or something else?
post #26432 of 35356

Bowers & Wilkins P7 - $400

 

Grado Prestige SR80i - $100

 

HiFiMan HE-400 - $400

 

All rated the same score and was the highest score of all they tested. All three rated at 86/100

post #26433 of 35356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post


it's the Grado's I'm looking at. Are the 400. one's you're talking about Grado's or something else?


They didn't test a Grado 400.

post #26434 of 35356
Check out some of these bad boys

http://www.gradolabs.com/page_headphones.php
post #26435 of 35356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Check out some of these bad boys

http://www.gradolabs.com/page_headphones.php


Some of those are really pricey for sure.

post #26436 of 35356
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post


Some of those are really pricey for sure.

No doubt, but I'm really leaning toward the Grado line due to the incredible write up's they get. I've done some research and have seen comparisons where the Grado's really achieve high marks above the others.
post #26437 of 35356
I have a rxv373 Yamaha Receiver(5.1) with a Yamaha center (nsc210). The center sounds very good and it is a bass-reflex speaker. I have a sub and receiver is set at 6 ohms as well as all speakers. My current fromts are nsb210 from Yamaha and are acoustic suspension and don't sound good compared to the matching center. I'm looking at tsi100 to use as fronts with the current yamaha center. Polks are rated 8 ohms though.

My question(s):
Would the tsi100's sound ok with the Yamaha center? I don't have space for the cs10 and I'm very impressed with the Yamaha center(nsc210)?

If I get tsi100(8ohms) should I set receiver at 8 ohms even though center and surrounds are 6 ohms?
post #26438 of 35356
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post

I have a rxv373 Yamaha Receiver(5.1) with a Yamaha center (nsc210). The center sounds very good and it is a bass-reflex speaker. I have a sub and receiver is set at 6 ohms as well as all speakers. My current fromts are nsb210 from Yamaha and are acoustic suspension and don't sound good compared to the matching center. I'm looking at tsi100 to use as fronts with the current yamaha center. Polks are rated 8 ohms though.

My question(s):
Would the tsi100's sound ok with the Yamaha center? I don't have space for the cs10 and I'm very impressed with the Yamaha center(nsc210)?

If I get tsi100(8ohms) should I set receiver at 8 ohms even though center and surrounds are 6 ohms?

6 and 8ohm will be compatible. You could very well try the Polks with your Yammy center. It's best to timbre match your front, but what the heck. You can start with the Polks, which sound very good btw, and then upgrade your center down the line.
post #26439 of 35356
I figured. I plan on using the tsi100's as surrounds down the line so I'll go ahead and give it a shot. Thanks for the fast response.
post #26440 of 35356
Guys (and girls, if any) - help me understand the Polk LSi-FX speakers. I found these pictures.

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

Questions.

1) Are there two woofers and tweeters on each speaker? I would think so, there are two grills on each. But the picture that shows them without the grills shows only ONE woofer and ONE tweeter. What am I missing?

2) What is the purpose of bipole/dipole switch? Why is it only one one speaker?

I am not considering these (looking for another pair of LSi-9s), just puzzled by them.

Thanks a lot.
post #26441 of 35356
Another forum devoted to headphones:

http://www.head-fi.org/

Grado's are pretty popular over there
http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/over-ear/grado-labs
post #26442 of 35356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Dang, a well stocked bar for sure. I'm on my way..............just to look of course biggrin.gif

Everyone is welcome to come by and have a few drinks!biggrin.gif
post #26443 of 35356
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post

Guys (and girls, if any) - help me understand the Polk LSi-FX speakers. I found these pictures.

Questions.

1) Are there two woofers and tweeters on each speaker? I would think so, there are two grills on each. But the picture that shows them without the grills shows only ONE woofer and ONE tweeter. What am I missing?

2) What is the purpose of bipole/dipole switch? Why is it only one one speaker?

I am not considering these (looking for another pair of LSi-9s), just puzzled by them.

Thanks a lot.

1) Yes

2) To set your speakers to either bi or dipole. Both speakers have one switch that controls both sides of each speaker.

If you run these speakers on the back wall, dipole is the preferred position as the tweeter fire intermittently. When run as side surrounds, bipole is the preferred position as the tweeters fire simultaneously.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Everyone is welcome to come by and have a few drinks!biggrin.gif

A few Gus??? I'm from Texas, we do BIG biggrin.gif
post #26444 of 35356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post


Hope this helps.

It does help. Thanks a lot, Geoff.
post #26445 of 35356
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post

It does help. Thanks a lot, Geoff.

YW.

I've used a variety of speaker for side surrounds. My FXiA6's bi/dipole's are by faaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the best I've ever used. That's stacked up against; M30's, M40's and a pair amped M70's.
post #26446 of 35356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

1) Yes

2) To set your speakers to either bi or dipole. Both speakers have one switch that controls both sides of each speaker.

If you run these speakers on the back wall, dipole is the preferred position as the tweeter fire intermittently. When run as side surrounds, bipole is the preferred position as the tweeters fire simultaneously.

Hope this helps.
A few Gus??? I'm from Texas, we do BIG biggrin.gif

They are super sized drinks.
post #26447 of 35356
Well, I'm over being mad about deleting my HT file. It's -5 outside without counting the wind and I'm inside bitching about a HT file?! I think I'll be ok. smile.gif
post #26448 of 35356
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Dang, a well stocked bar for sure. I'm on my way..............just to look of course biggrin.gif

Everyone is welcome to come by and have a few drinks!biggrin.gif

love to. i should be heading out your way early next summer.
post #26449 of 35356
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

For what it's worth Jason these are one of the highest rated headphones on Consumer Reports besting all the high priced headphones.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_786SR80I/Grado-SR80i.html?tp=60828


thanks stan, i'll add those to my list.
post #26450 of 35356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Quote:

Really? A dolphin?


one fish deserves another. wink.gif
post #26451 of 35356
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post

AKG Q701 smile.gif


wtf!



eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif
post #26452 of 35356
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post


Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

i'm thinking about getting myself an after christmas present and was curious if anyone here knows about headphones?

i have an inexpensive set of Sennheiser HD428's and have been thinking of moving up in quality. i like the 428's well enough, but i think its time to move on. other sennheiser models as well as denon and audio technica are intriguing to me. i am looking to spend no more then $200, $100 to $150 is better. i dont care about wireless or blutooth or any of that stuff, noise cancelling would be a plus but not required. so polk brothers shoot me some recommendations.

If it was me and your looking for a set of good CLOSED headphones, look no futher than the Beyerdynamic DT-770's 32 ohm. Lots of good bass, great isolation, can we em for 7+ hours (I have) w/ no sweaty ear, and EASY to drive, so you dont "need" a headphone amp (didnt stop me from getting one though wink.gif)

whats with the 80ohm and 250ohm versions, along with the 32ohm ones? they must be using different drivers to have different ohm specs, yeah?
post #26453 of 35356
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

love to. i should be heading out your way early next summer.

Just a warning, it gets freaking hot in the Central Valley, CA during summer time 110 degrees eek.gif
post #26454 of 35356
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

love to. i should be heading out your way early next summer.

Just a warning, it gets freaking hot in the Central Valley, CA during summer time 110 degrees eek.gif

no warning needed. born and raised in the south bay and have spent a fair amount of time out in the valley, from mantecca to tracy to stockton and sacramento and down to modesto and out to madera. wink.gif
haven't been past fresno area very often except to drive through in route to LA.
post #26455 of 35356
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

no warning needed. born and raised in the south bay and have spent a fair amount of time out in the valley, from mantecca to tracy to stockton and sacramento and down to modesto and out to madera. wink.gif
haven't been past fresno area very often except to drive through in route to LA.

Cool, I lived in the Bay Area (San Jose) for many years prior to moving to the Central Valley.
post #26456 of 35356
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

no warning needed. born and raised in the south bay and have spent a fair amount of time out in the valley, from mantecca to tracy to stockton and sacramento and down to modesto and out to madera. wink.gif
haven't been past fresno area very often except to drive through in route to LA.

Cool, I lived in the Bay Area (San Jose) for many years prior to moving to the Central Valley.

cool, i grew up in willow glen and currently live in milpitas.
post #26457 of 35356
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

cool, i grew up in willow glen and currently live in milpitas.

I lived in Milpitas, also lived by Blossom Hill area.
post #26458 of 35356
Because I am gonna be busy as crap today, and for the next few, Merry Christmas fella's!

Enjoy your Emo amps, Polk speakers, ear bleeding decibels, Christmas ornaments, nap inducing food and presents!

P.S. dont make me come back to darned near 20 pages of posts either eek.gif. Take a couple days off for once fella's wink.giftongue.gifbiggrin.gif
post #26459 of 35356
In my experience, Grado's have great bass, but they are SUPER uncomfortable. I loved the bass from my SR80s, but I couldn't wear them for more than an hour, and I don't have some massive, oddly shaped melon head either. Grado drivers with MrSpeakers Alpha Pads would be a nice mod, if only the Grados would hold them.
post #26460 of 35356
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

one fish deserves another. wink.gif

Close one, glad I was just grabbing my coffee as I read this biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

Because I am gonna be busy as crap today, and for the next few, Merry Christmas fella's!

Enjoy your Emo amps, Polk speakers, ear bleeding decibels, Christmas ornaments, nap inducing food and presents!

P.S. dont make me come back to darned near 20 pages of posts either eek.gif. Take a couple days off for once fella's wink.giftongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Dammit Enders!!! Wait til I'm through taking a sip before you post biggrin.gif

Merry Christmas cool.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post

In my experience, Grado's have great bass, but they are SUPER uncomfortable. I loved the bass from my SR80s, but I couldn't wear them for more than an hour, and I don't have some massive, oddly shaped melon head either. Grado drivers with MrSpeakers Alpha Pads would be a nice mod, if only the Grados would hold them.

Excellent, thanks for the feed back on these.

I did notice the ear cups are different on the upper end models. Maybe they will be more comfortable?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread