or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 906

post #27151 of 35144
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

If she could have given me enough lovin I might have given her a discount.

When you pay for it, it doesn't count as loving Standley.
post #27152 of 35144
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

If she could have given me enough lovin I might have given her a discount.

No comments!


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #27153 of 35144

Ha!  :D

post #27154 of 35144
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

No comments!


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

LOL
post #27155 of 35144

Too bad my car is too small and I'm too lazy to drive 75 miles otherwise I might give this a try. Maybe I can get Geoff to go get it for me. He's got nothing better to do than make those silly yellow cables.  :p

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1508051/stereo-integrity-si-d4-18-dual-opposed-sonotubes-two-available

post #27156 of 35144
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Can anyone recommend a 3D BD player? My PS3 at times can't use the HD sound track when playing 3D movie. mad.gif

how much you looking to spend? general conciseness on this site is if you got the $$ oppo is the way to go.
post #27157 of 35144
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post

how much you looking to spend? general conciseness on this site is if you got the $$ oppo is the way to go.

May be $200. I've been looking for a use Oppo, but so far everything is over my limit. I missed one that sold for $300 mad.gif
post #27158 of 35144
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

May be $200. I've been looking for a use Oppo, but so far everything is over my limit. I missed one that sold for $300 mad.gif

if you like you ps3 the sony 790 might work but its $250.

EDIT: it is 199 on amazon currently
Edited by swarm87 - 12/29/13 at 7:10pm
post #27159 of 35144
post #27160 of 35144
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post

if you like you ps3 the sony 790 might work but its $250.


I think I'm going to go with the Sony BDP-S5100 3D. It's only $90 dollars, and I'm probably not going to be using it much since most of the time we watch 2D anyway. Thanks.
post #27161 of 35144
There's someone selling a Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D blu ray player w/dual HDMI output in the classified section, but has not price on it. He wants an offer. It is used, but in good condition. Any ideas on how much to offer?biggrin.gif
post #27162 of 35144
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

There's someone selling a Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D blu ray player w/dual HDMI output in the classified section, but has not price on it. He wants an offer. It is used, but in good condition. Any ideas on how much to offer?biggrin.gif


That's the same player I have. I needed it for the dual outputs when I didn't have a HDMI 1.4 receiver. It's been a great player but you know how buying a used player can go. It could have a lot of mileage on it. The 210 is basically the same player with a single HDMI out. I've got one of those NIB for a backup. I got the 210 off ebay for $70 after shipping. I don't mind buying some things used but a BD player isn't one of them.

post #27163 of 35144
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

There's someone selling a Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D blu ray player w/dual HDMI output in the classified section, but has not price on it. He wants an offer. It is used, but in good condition. Any ideas on how much to offer?biggrin.gif

Amazon has a used like new one for 149 if that's any help.
post #27164 of 35144
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post


That's the same player I have. I needed it for the dual outputs when I didn't have a HDMI 1.4 receiver. It's been a great player but you know how buying a used player can go. It could have a lot of mileage on it. The 210 is basically the same player with a single HDMI out. I've got one of those NIB for a backup. I got the 210 off ebay for $70 after shipping. I don't mind buying some things used but a BD player isn't one of them.

I am not sure why, but even though you've been a freaking grouch old man to me today, I've got to agree with you. I'm just going to head to Best Buy tomorrow, and get the Sony 3D player for $90 bucks. biggrin.gif
post #27165 of 35144
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post


I am not sure why, but even though you've been a freaking grouch old man to me today, I've got to agree with you. I'm just going to head to Best Buy tomorrow, and get the Sony 3D player for $90 bucks. biggrin.gif


I'm always grouchy to people I like so get used to it.  :p 

post #27166 of 35144
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I am not sure why, but even though you've been a freaking grouch old man to me today, I've got to agree with you. I'm just going to head to Best Buy tomorrow, and get the Sony 3D player for $90 bucks. biggrin.gif

Geez, I bought the Sony BDP-S590 3D last year for 100 at best buy. I find it hard to believe the 790 is twice that now.
post #27167 of 35144
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post


I'm always grouchy to people I like so get used to it.  tongue.gif  

You must really like Jason. LOL
post #27168 of 35144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post


You must really like Jason. LOL


There's always an exception to every rule. :D 

 

 

 

J/K

post #27169 of 35144

I think it's time to leave before Jason and Geoff seek retribution. Nite ya'll. 

post #27170 of 35144
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Can anyone recommend a 3D BD player? My PS3 at times can't use the HD sound track when playing 3D movie. mad.gif

check the holiday guide that scott Wilkinson dude put up, there is one for bluray players i got my dad the sony s5100 (its #4 i think) for $105 shipped, its pretty feature rich.
post #27171 of 35144
I am a long time lurker and do not post often. I was hoping to run something by you guys to get your opinion.

Last April bought a nice TV and on impulse bought an open box Denon 2113-CI. I had been using a Yamaha HTIB for the last ten years. I hooked up the Denon to the Yamaha HTIB speakers. The Yamaha fronts were 3 way bookshelf’s (dome/cone/6.5 cone). They are 6 ohm speakers and sounded pretty good but I thought I was missing something. How could HTIB speakers be any good?

On the F&F weekend I purchased the RTiA3 to use as my left and right speakers. I also purchased the CSiA4 as a center. I have since purchased some OWM3 as surrounds off C/L.

My dilemma is that as the Polk’s sound more detailed but the Yamahas surprisingly sound much “bigger” while playing back rock music. There are a few songs that highlight this difference. For example the drum segments in “Aja” by Steely Dan and the lower guitar riffs in “Higher” by Creed.
I saw an S & V review that stated “I did find the A3s to be fairly finicky as to vertical placement. The sweet spot proved to be a bit below the center of the woofer cone”. I have continually raised the height of the RTiA3’s and this has helped a lot. But it still does not quite have as “big” a sound as I would like
.
Buy the way for TV and movie watching the A3’s and A4 smoke the Yamaha’s. I have never had to adjust the dialogue level since using the Polk’s.

This brings me to my question. Do you think there would be any noticeable difference in sound to purchasing the RTi8 to replace the RTiA3’s using only my 95watt per channel Denon? I would gain 1 6.5 mid/woofer and the crossover would change from 2.8 to 2.2.

Thanks
post #27172 of 35144
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA92 View Post

I am a long time lurker and do not post often. I was hoping to run something by you guys to get your opinion.

Last April bought a nice TV and on impulse bought an open box Denon 2113-CI. I had been using a Yamaha HTIB for the last ten years. I hooked up the Denon to the Yamaha HTIB speakers. The Yamaha fronts were 3 way bookshelf’s (dome/cone/6.5 cone). They are 6 ohm speakers and sounded pretty good but I thought I was missing something. How could HTIB speakers be any good?

On the F&F weekend I purchased the RTiA3 to use as my left and right speakers. I also purchased the CSiA4 as a center. I have since purchased some OWM3 as surrounds off C/L.

My dilemma is that as the Polk’s sound more detailed but the Yamahas surprisingly sound much “bigger” while playing back rock music. There are a few songs that highlight this difference. For example the drum segments in “Aja” by Steely Dan and the lower guitar riffs in “Higher” by Creed.
I saw an S & V review that stated “I did find the A3s to be fairly finicky as to vertical placement. The sweet spot proved to be a bit below the center of the woofer cone”. I have continually raised the height of the RTiA3’s and this has helped a lot. But it still does not quite have as “big” a sound as I would like
.
Buy the way for TV and movie watching the A3’s and A4 smoke the Yamaha’s. I have never had to adjust the dialogue level since using the Polk’s.

This brings me to my question. Do you think there would be any noticeable difference in sound to purchasing the RTi8 to replace the RTiA3’s using only my 95watt per channel Denon? I would gain 1 6.5 mid/woofer and the crossover would change from 2.8 to 2.2.

Thanks
Where do you have the cross over set when you run the yammy and where for the polk? Are you re-running calibration after you switch the speaker? And where are they positioned in the room. It's possible that the yammy has a lower extension or is bloating a lower frequency that makes it sound like it has more bass. What subwoofer are you using?
post #27173 of 35144
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA92 View Post

I am a long time lurker and do not post often. I was hoping to run something by you guys to get your opinion.

Last April bought a nice TV and on impulse bought an open box Denon 2113-CI. I had been using a Yamaha HTIB for the last ten years. I hooked up the Denon to the Yamaha HTIB speakers. The Yamaha fronts were 3 way bookshelf’s (dome/cone/6.5 cone). They are 6 ohm speakers and sounded pretty good but I thought I was missing something. How could HTIB speakers be any good?

On the F&F weekend I purchased the RTiA3 to use as my left and right speakers. I also purchased the CSiA4 as a center. I have since purchased some OWM3 as surrounds off C/L.

My dilemma is that as the Polk’s sound more detailed but the Yamahas surprisingly sound much “bigger” while playing back rock music. There are a few songs that highlight this difference. For example the drum segments in “Aja” by Steely Dan and the lower guitar riffs in “Higher” by Creed.
I saw an S & V review that stated “I did find the A3s to be fairly finicky as to vertical placement. The sweet spot proved to be a bit below the center of the woofer cone”. I have continually raised the height of the RTiA3’s and this has helped a lot. But it still does not quite have as “big” a sound as I would like
.
Buy the way for TV and movie watching the A3’s and A4 smoke the Yamaha’s. I have never had to adjust the dialogue level since using the Polk’s.

This brings me to my question. Do you think there would be any noticeable difference in sound to purchasing the RTi8 to replace the RTiA3’s using only my 95watt per channel Denon? I would gain 1 6.5 mid/woofer and the crossover would change from 2.8 to 2.2.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post

Where do you have the cross over set when you run the yammy and where for the polk? Are you re-running calibration after you switch the speaker? And where are they positioned in the room. It's possible that the yammy has a lower extension or is bloating a lower frequency that makes it sound like it has more bass. What subwoofer are you using?

Agreed. Your AVR has Audyssey MultEQ XT. You should re-run when you switch speakers, and that should fix the issues with losing the "big" sound. Also, make suire you run Audessy COMPLETELY. Half-assing it (e.g., using only 1 or 2 listening positions) won't give you accurate results. A good read on how to run Audessy properly: http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/51750#post_21782993
post #27174 of 35144
If you do the things said above, you will notice a big improvement, but to your last question, I feel the RTI8's will give you a noticeable improvement over the RTIA3's. I did a head to head before purchasing the 8's and I thought it was no contest...and that's not to say I disliked the 3's, because I think they are great.
post #27175 of 35144
post #27176 of 35144

Good deal, but keep in mind that Newegg is NOT an authorized retailer of Pio's Elite line, so there is NO Pio warranty with this receiver purchased through Newegg. Honestly, it seems silly since Newegg is an authorized retailer of Pio's regular line. Not sure who to blame here, but they need to get on the same page.
post #27177 of 35144
Sorry still no pics. In a very bad migraine cycle. As soon as I'm up and around its first on my list. Take care my brothers
post #27178 of 35144

ARGH.... ALL I WANTED FOR CHRISTMAS but I am BROKE..... anyone care to gift me 522 dollars eek.gif
post #27179 of 35144
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post

Good deal, but keep in mind that Newegg is NOT an authorized retailer of Pio's Elite line, so there is NO Pio warranty with this receiver purchased through Newegg. Honestly, it seems silly since Newegg is an authorized retailer of Pio's regular line. Not sure who to blame here, but they need to get on the same page.

nobody is authorized to sell elites online(besides pioneer themselves); kind of sucks
post #27180 of 35144
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post

nobody is authorized to sell elites online(besides pioneer themselves); kind of sucks

But they do. You can find some of them on Amazon and Ebay. I wonder if somebody were to find a dealer phone number on the internet, call the dealer and order an
Elite product to be shipped to them that would be considered an internet sale. The whole thing is ridiculous. It only serves to damage their market share. I work in an industry that has a lot of minimun advertised price programs. What happens? Well, the dealers sell the stuff on Amazon and Ebay.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread