or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 971

post #29101 of 35351
Finally got some fruit plugs ;-)


post #29102 of 35351
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeme View Post

Finally got some fruit plugs ;-)

 

 

I got a 6 pair pack of those from amazon for my daughter today. Good fruit.

post #29103 of 35351
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

The 807 I gave to my son pooped the bed again with the HDMI board. I guess the extra 6 months or so was better than nothing. He found a Pioneer 1222 display model at Costco for $350. No mic though. Crap happens.

Stanley my good buddy whatya goin do with that 807? Sell it to me?
post #29104 of 35351
Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post


Stanley my good buddy whatya goin do with that 807? Sell it to me?


If I did that I'd miss out on having the fun of bashing it with a baseball bat.  :D 
 

But seriously, I don't have the box for it any longer to ship it. I just found out that my son's girlfriend tried pushing the HDMI into it upside down and must have pushed it pretty hard cause it's pretty messed up now. DUH! Mercy.

post #29105 of 35351

By golly, I do have the box. The cardboard will soak up the lighter fluid nicely for when I set it on fire.  :D  Actually I don't know what plans he has for it. Maybe use it for stereo in his bedroom. I dunno. The HDMI out is just FUBAR.


Edited by XStanleyX - 1/28/14 at 10:30pm
post #29106 of 35351
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

For those following along, my non polk vw project is almost done. Got some wiring issues to sort out and finish the interior, and overall fine tune it, but here is how it sits now.

 

Every time I see a pic of your car it reminds me of the one I had to leave in L.A. on my way to Seattle from Arizona when the clutch blew. Still hurts after all these years. I think that was in 1966. Your car is looking good buddy.

post #29107 of 35351
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

For those following along, my non polk vw project is almost done. Got some wiring issues to sort out and finish the interior, and overall fine tune it, but here is how it sits now.



Every time I see a pic of your car it reminds me of the one I had to leave in L.A. on my way to Seattle from Arizona when the clutch blew. Still hurts after all these years. I think that was in 1966. Your car is looking good buddy.
That sux you lost it, but you know they made millions of em so you can always get another.
post #29108 of 35351
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post


That sux you lost it, but you know they made millions of em so you can always get another.


Those are fun cars but I'm too busy going broke on other things.   

post #29109 of 35351
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

That sux you lost it, but you know they made millions of em so you can always get another.


Those are fun cars but I'm too busy going broke on other things.   
Lol thats why i rock lowly monitors....tough having two exoensive hobbies pkus family.
post #29110 of 35351
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post


Lol thats why i rock lowly monitors....tough having two exoensive hobbies pkus family.

 

Nothing lowly about those speakers. Just less costly.  Yep, I remember the family thing. It's worth having less toys.

post #29111 of 35351
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

By golly, I do have the box. The cardboard will soak up the lighter fluid nicely for when I set it on fire.  biggrin.gif   Actually I don't know what plans he has for it. Maybe use it for stereo in his bedroom. I dunno. The HDMI out is just FUBAR.
I've heard that about the onkyo's but have yet to have it happen on my 709. Kinda been waiting for it so I can find something else but that's how it goes with me. With my luck it will last for ever....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

Lol thats why i rock lowly monitors....tough having two exoensive hobbies pkus family.
We'll get there buddy. I feel your pain, I've given up my Corvette, SRT-10 and Kz1000p all in the last year and my Camaro blew up last week but the Lil bugger still seems worth it.
post #29112 of 35351
Oh and I heard a new song to test the limits of any system. Hourglass infringement by Tipper. Crazy highs and lows. Not exactly music or an enjoyable listen by any normal standard but the amount of dynamic sounds in it is incredible. I heard it in my truck on the way home (google play on random) and it blew me away. My trucks completely sound deadened and has top tier JL components all the way around so it's not like it was coming through underpowered paper cones either.
post #29113 of 35351
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28koda View Post


I've heard that about the onkyo's but have yet to have it happen on my 709. Kinda been waiting for it so I can find something else but that's how it goes with me. With my luck it will last for ever....
 


They've been failing after about 2 years. Mine was 5 months past warranty when it failed. Maybe the 9's won't have that problem with the HDMI boards. 

post #29114 of 35351
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28koda View Post

Oh and I heard a new song to test the limits of any system. Hourglass infringement by Tipper. Crazy highs and lows. Not exactly music or an enjoyable listen by any normal standard but the amount of dynamic sounds in it is incredible. I heard it in my truck on the way home (google play on random) and it blew me away. My trucks completely sound deadened and has top tier JL components all the way around so it's not like it was coming through underpowered paper cones either.


I'll look that up on Spotify tomorrow. Don't wanna rustle up the herd above me tonight.

post #29115 of 35351
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post


They've been failing after about 2 years. Mine was 5 months past warranty when it failed. Maybe the 9's won't have that problem with the HDMI boards. 
The 709s have it fail on about 90% of them. On this forum anyway. I've been following the thread and it almost seems to be update related. I updated mine once when I got it and never since. It works fine so I don't see the point.
post #29116 of 35351
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

Stanley my good buddy whatya goin do with that 807? Sell it to me?


If I did that I'd miss out on having the fun of bashing it with a baseball bat.  biggrin.gif  

 
But seriously, I don't have the box for it any longer to ship it. I just found out that my son's girlfriend tried pushing the HDMI into it upside down and must have pushed it pretty hard cause it's pretty messed up now. DUH! Mercy.

Find a box and quote me a price. I'd like to have it. Seriously !
post #29117 of 35351
On second thot I think I'd rather get a bigger amp for the subs. Sorry for all the confusion.
post #29118 of 35351
Eh my Integra DTR 5.9 (same model year as the dreaded Onkyo 606) gave up the HDMI board after about 2.5 years, got it replaced under warranty. It ran for another year or two then gave it up again. Thankfully they did a one time out of warranty repair for me, so again still not out anything.

In my case the extra life is probably due to not using the Integra's amps to power speakers, as well as having it in a decently ventilated rack 24/7.
post #29119 of 35351
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post

How many cpu cores does the free program mentioned earlier utilize?

MakeMKV? I want to say one, but it's limited by the optical drive and the hard drive you're copying to, so what difference does it make? I'd focus on getting the best/most reliable bluray drive you can. That said, I'm using a 4-core 2500k in the rig that I ripped my collection on, and it takes anywhere from 10 to 35 minutes to rip video + lossless audio. Also, keep in mind that if you're just ripping/decrypting and copying, you're barely using the CPU at all, so one core is plenty. If you're converting the video or audio to other formats, that's where you'd want more CPUs, but even then you'd still be limited by the speed of the optical drive. 4 (or more) cores are great for converting audio or video to other formats on the same SSD, for example, but you shouldn't notice a difference for this purpose.

TL;DR: Optical drives are still slow.
post #29120 of 35351
Quote:
Originally Posted by PicHold View Post

Current TV: 50in Panny Plasma.
Future: probably Optoma PJ, on a 100" Elite Screens, R100WH1
Room size: 21x16.


Looking for some advice for my Polk setup.

Center: CS2
Fronts: Monitor 70s
Rears: Monitor 40s
Sub: 12in whatever Polk
Receiver: Onkyo SR606

What can I do to improve on my setup (7.1)?

I considered getting 2 more M40s, but read they would be a waste as rears. So should I get M30s, or something weaker still? Perhaps something ceiling mounted..

I was reading up on bi-amping the fronts and the general thought is wasteful, if not powered by a secondary amp.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Looking for more feedback here ladies and gents! Guessing mostly gents, though.
post #29121 of 35351
Quote:
Originally Posted by PicHold View Post

Looking for more feedback here ladies and gents! Guessing mostly gents, though.

I don't really think adding a couple more 40's (or 30's) will add all that much at this point. I do think you have a couple of options which will help quite a bit. One, move away from the Polk sub and look to get one of the better ones from PSA, HSU, SVS, Rythmik, etc. It will make a world of difference. Other than that, I'd upgrade your AVR to one with preouts and then get an amp to drive at least your front 3. By all accounts the 70's really open up with more power. The good news is that upgrading your AVR and Sub is something that will stay with you even when you want to upgrade your speakers down the road, so it's a good investment.
post #29122 of 35351
Quote:
Originally Posted by PicHold View Post

Looking for more feedback here ladies and gents! Guessing mostly gents, though.

I have nearly an identical system with a different sub. If you like the monitor series you can go the route I did. Keep your 40s as surround and pick up a pair of 60s and run them wide. I love it.
post #29123 of 35351
Quote:
Originally Posted by PicHold View Post

Looking for more feedback here ladies and gents! Guessing mostly gents, though.

I'm using 70s in front with CS2, 60s in rear, and 30s as surrounds. I like them just fine, but I agree that you should invest in a better sub, and possibly a better amp with preouts, but that can wait if you want to add 6th and 7th channels and a sub first. I think those two channels make a noticeable difference in movies. I have mine mounted a few feet above ear level to fill the room with additional directional sound. Besides more power, which you may not need at this point, a good sub (read: not "12in whatever polk ") will probably make a big difference. I built a 15" sealed kit sub from Parts Express that is fantastic, and it powerful enough to move up with me as I upgrade my speakers down the road, and add more power.
Edited by cytoSiN - 1/29/14 at 7:02am
post #29124 of 35351
Hey guys, I hate to throw more video questions out here, but it seems like several of you have similar systems and interests as I do, so here goes. Been up most of the night (ok, I get a bit obsessive, LOL) just looking at several products and features to rip my movies and play them on the big screen with my surround. I've already decided on WD TV LIVE, and started playing around with the free MakeMPV software to rip a few movies and tv shows. I will not be able to tell the quality until I get the WD, but was doing some reading and it seems there are some people that are ripping movies as ISO files so that their rip is exactly (special features, setting choices, etc) like the dvd being copied. Space will not be a concern, so I'm thinking this might be the way to go. Is anyone else doing this, and if so, do you find any benefits to this other than saving space by just copying the main movie file? Thanks guys.
post #29125 of 35351
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post

Hey guys, I hate to throw more video questions out here, but it seems like several of you have similar systems and interests as I do, so here goes. Been up most of the night (ok, I get a bit obsessive, LOL) just looking at several products and features to rip my movies and play them on the big screen with my surround. I've already decided on WD TV LIVE, and started playing around with the free MakeMPV software to rip a few movies and tv shows. I will not be able to tell the quality until I get the WD, but was doing some reading and it seems there are some people that are ripping movies as ISO files so that their rip is exactly (special features, setting choices, etc) like the dvd being copied. Space will not be a concern, so I'm thinking this might be the way to go. Is anyone else doing this, and if so, do you find any benefits to this other than saving space by just copying the main movie file? Thanks guys.

Iso a good way to go if you have an easy mounting solution (there are lots of free utilities for this, but you need an HTPC or another networked computer to make it work). You say space is not a concern, but it gets that way fast...I have a 10TB NAS, and I'm always looking for ways to save space without losing quality. If I want special features badly enough, I'll just get the disc out. I also hate how on some blurays you can't skip the ads and other crap in the beginning. If you rip the iso, you'll have that same issue. For me, the better approach is to rip only what I want to MKV, and use network storage (with localization when watching something). But many people prefer the iso route.
post #29126 of 35351
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post

I'm using 70s in front with CS2, 60s in rear, and 30s as surrounds. I like them just fine, but I agree that you should invest in a better sub, and possibly a better amp with preouts, but that can wait if you want to add 6th and 7th channels and a sub first. I think those two channels make a noticeable difference in movies. I have mine mounted a few feet above ear level to fill the room with additional directional sound. Besides more power, which you may not need at this point, a good sub (read: not "12in whatever polk ") will probably make a big difference. I built a 15" sealed kit sub from Parts Express that is fantastic, and it powerful enough to move up with me as I upgrade my speakers down the road, and add more power.

PSW505. Paid $238 on 2009.

Perhaps I'll give it to my dad one of these days and upgrade.
post #29127 of 35351
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post

Iso a good way to go if you have an easy mounting solution (there are lots of free utilities for this, but you need an HTPC or another networked computer to make it work). You say space is not a concern, but it gets that way fast...I have a 10TB NAS, and I'm always looking for ways to save space without losing quality. If I want special features badly enough, I'll just get the disc out. I also hate how on some blurays you can't skip the ads and other crap in the beginning. If you rip the iso, you'll have that same issue. For me, the better approach is to rip only what I want to MKV, and use network storage (with localization when watching something). But many people prefer the iso route.

Interesting. Yeah, I'm currently not real concerned with the ads, etc, but then again I never understood why people wanted to rip all of their music cds when it wasn't that hard to get up and change them...now I know why lol. I'm learning to think "down the road" but it's not easy. As far as space not being a problem, I meant to say that I don't mind adding storage when needed. I'd probably start off with 4tb, and then as it gets full, I can move them over to my computer for extra storage and go your route with a 10tb NAS. It might end up mixing up the types of rips based on if it's a movie, tv show, etc and the ones I want special features included in. Anyway, this is all pretty interesting to me and keeping me busy during a slow week.
post #29128 of 35351
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post

Interesting. Yeah, I'm currently not real concerned with the ads, etc, but then again I never understood why people wanted to rip all of their music cds when it wasn't that hard to get up and change them...now I know why lol. I'm learning to think "down the road" but it's not easy. As far as space not being a problem, I meant to say that I don't mind adding storage when needed. I'd probably start off with 4tb, and then as it gets full, I can move them over to my computer for extra storage and go your route with a 10tb NAS. It might end up mixing up the types of rips based on if it's a movie, tv show, etc and the ones I want special features included in. Anyway, this is all pretty interesting to me and keeping me busy during a slow week.

That's the beauty of MakeMKV. Just rip what you want, and leave the rest. You can pick and choose special features.
post #29129 of 35351
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post

Hey guys, I hate to throw more video questions out here, but it seems like several of you have similar systems and interests as I do, so here goes. Been up most of the night (ok, I get a bit obsessive, LOL) just looking at several products and features to rip my movies and play them on the big screen with my surround. I've already decided on WD TV LIVE, and started playing around with the free MakeMPV software to rip a few movies and tv shows. I will not be able to tell the quality until I get the WD, but was doing some reading and it seems there are some people that are ripping movies as ISO files so that their rip is exactly (special features, setting choices, etc) like the dvd being copied. Space will not be a concern, so I'm thinking this might be the way to go. Is anyone else doing this, and if so, do you find any benefits to this other than saving space by just copying the main movie file? Thanks guys.

I have never used MakeMPV. I had the first gen wd live player back in 09. With dvd movies it was able to play it with full menu, but not with bluray. I dont know if you are able to now with the newer gen. There are other players on the market that will let you play your ISO with full menu (dvd and bluray) example would be the Dune player.

I started with the ps3 and it was just trash. Went to WD player and was having issue with lag and audio/video not in synced (over network) Got a dune base 3.0 player (which I am trying to sell right now) everything I threw at it work perfectly. With the WD player I always had to check the rip and make sure nothing went wrong. Where with the dune player every rip was perfect. Right now im using XBMC with my 12TB. I dont know how good the WD player is now a day. As far as ripping its really up to you. IF you rip in "full" you could always go back and covert it over to just the main movie with hd-audio track into either another iso, bluray folder, or mkv format. All my movies are in mkv. Software I use are makemkv and dvdfab. Both are great and free.
post #29130 of 35351
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz87 View Post

I have never used MakeMPV. I had the first gen wd live player back in 09. With dvd movies it was able to play it with full menu, but not with bluray. I dont know if you are able to now with the newer gen. There are other players on the market that will let you play your ISO with full menu (dvd and bluray) example would be the Dune player.

I started with the ps3 and it was just trash. Went to WD player and was having issue with lag and audio/video not in synced (over network) Got a dune base 3.0 player (which I am trying to sell right now) everything I threw at it work perfectly. With the WD player I always had to check the rip and make sure nothing went wrong. Where with the dune player every rip was perfect. Right now im using XBMC with my 12TB. I dont know how good the WD player is now a day. As far as ripping its really up to you. IF you rip in "full" you could always go back and covert it over to just the main movie with hd-audio track into either another iso, bluray folder, or mkv format. All my movies are in mkv. Software I use are makemkv and dvdfab. Both are great and free.

Cool. May I ask, why do you use both makemkv (which I type-o's above) and dvdfab? Are you using one for DVD's and the other for BD, or ???. Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread