or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 104

post #3091 of 35146
[quote=ajstan99;13755028]
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlakomy View Post

Hallo guys,
I just received Monitor 50's and 60'.
My receiver is: Onkyo 705

Regular

No, just make sure you keep the gold plates that connect the upper and lower terminals in place.

As I understand it, bi-amping is sending separate power to the tweeter and midrange. I dont think that the Onkyo 705 supports it, nor would it provide significant benefits for the Monitor 50s/60s. Bi-wiring would be using two separate cables to connect a sincle receiver/amp output to the upper and lower terminals. Again, a negligible difference (if any) would be perceived with the Monitor 50s/60s.

Here's an entire thread on bi-amping:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=987279

Thanks for such a quick answer.
So, now I understand that I can use doesn't matter which terminals upper or lower and I will get same thing and quality ???
post #3092 of 35146
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26kick View Post

Re: no center,

My particluar setup works better w/o a center in my opinion. I'm running Rti12's and the tweeter/mid arrangement is perfectly aligned with the (vertical) middle of my 60A2000 screen so I find that the audio really blends with the video. I also have them very close to the display (by virtue of the room I have to work with).

I have a CSi40 which is mounted below the screen and when I run it in 5.1, the center channel info (sound) becomes "disengaged" from the video and draws my attention directly to it. I've found that by using the "phantom" mode, I can more easily get into what I'm watching, not the technical stuff that's reproducing it.

My CSi40 is for sale BTW, if anyone needs one.

Just my two cents,

Thanks

Hmmm.... OK, sounds like a "no center" vote! I will do this if thats what ends up sounding the best. Since I am so limited on space this might be the best setup. We shall see very soon!

post #3093 of 35146
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb22 View Post

Hey guys i am looking to update to a whole new audio system from my Onkyo htib that i had in my bedroom. I am a college student that still lives at home and have been saving up for a while for a new setup. My sister graduated and moved out so my parents said i could make her room into my own little living room area. The room is about 14X12. It will be used with my DVR, Xbox360, PS3, and HD-A30. If anyone has any input its glady welcome as I am not a noob in this area but not as good as you guys.

I tried out alot of speakers and I really couldnt find any even close to the Polk setup for the price. Here is the setup i was thinking.

Fronts: Monitor 50's
Center: CS1
Surrounds: Monitor 30's
Sub: BIC H-100
Receiver: Either Onkyo 606 or HK 347 or something else undecided still

My question is do you think the room is to small for the M50 as fronts? Should I get a bookself like the M30's as fronts? I am thinkig the M50's because when i move out in a year or two I would still use these as my main speaker setup. And one last question I want to do 7.1 but I am not sure with the size if 5.1 would be better.

Thanks for all the help
Andy

The room is not too small for the 50's at all, you can actually go much bigger even. I have 70's, 50's, 30's and CS2 in 7.1 in an 11x11x8 room. So that also answers the other question, you can certainly go 7.1. Going with 60's or 70's may save you the upgrade bug expenses over the next couple of years. The 50's are very good for HT for the money, but you will keep starring at those beautiful 70's on Amazon every day asking yourself why you didn't go bigger, that's what I did anyway, till I couldn't take it anymore and had to do the upgrade.
post #3094 of 35146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstan99 View Post

First of all, welcome to AVS and the Polk thread.

Since you said you were a noob and look like you're ready to make this a hobby, I would recommend that you stay within the R-series for this first upgrade, especially if you are committed to the R50s as fronts. Go with the CSR center and R150 surrounds. That way, you can establish a baseline for comparison (for future upgrades/tweaking/DIY) with a matched set of speakers. Also, if you want to experiment and take the speakers apart, better to learn with less expensive components.

I also started out with an Onkyo HTIB, and saw a big step up in sound quality with Polk R-series (and a BIC H-100 sub). I now have moved to the Monitors and have seen an impressive jump as well. There are many others here who have experience with far better speakers than mine, but I'm enjoying the process of learning about sound and the impact of each step-up in quality.

ajstan99. Yes I am Looking at making this a hobby, much to the shagrin of my wife. In fact I just picked up 4 mathing very old Sansui speakers from GoodWill for 20 bucks to play around with ( xovers and such).
You are confirming for me what I thought might be the right path for a matched starter set of speakers. I can deffinately see the value in keeping them matched for a reference point, or baseline as you put it.
Thank you so much for your time and advice!
post #3095 of 35146
hopefully it's not blasphemy to talk about SVS speakers on a Polk thread, but seeing as the SVS folks recommended Polk as an option.....we'll give it a try.

i'm going to be getting the SVS SCS center and SBS L/R's. because of my room layout, i've got to do in-ceiling surrounds.

it's a great-room house design with the TV viewing portion of the great-room about 20x25x12ft high ceilings.

the SVS folks recommended Polk in-ceiling because their timber matching is fairly close to SVS.

Polk has the SC, TC, & RC families of in-ceilings. seeing as they're surrounds, any inputs on which family and model would be best and why would be much appreciated. (i sent an email to the Polk folks and didn't get a reply.)

i'd like to stay in the same price range as the fronts ($250-$350/pr).

thx,
post #3096 of 35146
Quote:
Originally Posted by timrb View Post

hopefully it's not blasphemy to talk about SVS speakers on a Polk thread, but seeing as the SVS folks recommended Polk as an option.....we'll give it a try.

i'm going to be getting the SVS SCS center and SBS L/R's. because of my room layout, i've got to do in-ceiling surrounds.

it's a great-room house design with the TV viewing portion of the great-room about 20x25x12ft high ceilings.

the SVS folks recommended Polk in-ceiling because their timber matching is fairly close to SVS.

Polk has the SC, TC, & RC families of in-ceilings. seeing as they're surrounds, any inputs on which family and model would be best and why would be much appreciated. (i sent an email to the Polk folks and didn't get a reply.)

i'd like to stay in the same price range as the fronts ($250-$350/pr).

thx,

Polk has a nice lineup of inwall/inceiling speakers. I'm not familiar with them, but they match up with the Monitor/RTi/Lsi. I think the SVS speakers are a bit more neutral than the RTis, but so I'd recommend the entry level or mid level Polks depending on budget. Heck my first recommendation is to go SVS all the way and find a way to mount the surrounds. It's an excellent value at the package price...I hope you're getting the sub too.
post #3097 of 35146
Anyone know of a good closeout on some RM30 Polks? I have a Polk surroundbar and I'm just not happy with it. I'd like to get three RM30 for the front and do some in-ceiling speakers for the rear. Feel free to PM me details if you know of a good deal. Thanks!
post #3098 of 35146
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike View Post

The room is not too small for the 50's at all, you can actually go much bigger even. I have 70's, 50's, 30's and CS2 in 7.1 in an 11x11x8 room. So that also answers the other question, you can certainly go 7.1. Going with 60's or 70's may save you the upgrade bug expenses over the next couple of years. The 50's are very good for HT for the money, but you will keep starring at those beautiful 70's on Amazon every day asking yourself why you didn't go bigger, that's what I did anyway, till I couldn't take it anymore and had to do the upgrade.

Mike thanks for the quick response. I never even thought about going to th 70s. I will have to make a trip to the mall to check them out. Is there a big differnce between the 50's and the 70's? Also what about the CS1 to the CS2? and finally one last question if I went with the 70s and the CS2 would the 30s be good for my surrounds or would I need 40s or 50s?
Thanks for all the help!
post #3099 of 35146
The 70's have a deeper sound that adds more scale to movies and are crisper and more defined than the 50's due to the 3 way design and added bass extension.
The CS2 holds similar advantages over the CS1. Voices have more depth and scale and it is capable of reproducing movie sound effects more efficiently and accurately due to the larger woofers and enclosure. Visually, the CS1 would be dwarfed by the 70's if you went with them. The CS1 is a very capable center, but better matched with 60's or below.
The 30's are very capable surrounds and should do an excellent job for you as both side and rear surrounds. However...if you listen to multi channel music a lot, you may want to use 50's or 60's as side surrounds to have a better bass extension in the music. But for movies and games, which sounds more like what you're into, the 30's will do great.
post #3100 of 35146
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike View Post

The 70's have a deeper sound that adds more scale to movies and are crisper and more defined than the 50's due to the 3 way design and added bass extension.
The CS2 holds similar advantages over the CS1. Voices have more depth and scale and it is capable of reproducing movie sound effects more efficiently and accurately due to the larger woofers and enclosure. Visually, the CS1 would be dwarfed by the 70's if you went with them. The CS1 is a very capable center, but better matched with 60's or below.
The 30's are very capable surrounds and should do an excellent job for you as both side and rear surrounds. However...if you listen to multi channel music a lot, you may want to use 50's or 60's as side surrounds to have a better bass extension in the music. But for movies and games, which sounds more like what you're into, the 30's will do great.

Ok Mike thanks that sounds like the way to go. Yea I dont listen to music on my surround sound at all. The only music it will get will be from the game or movie I am playing. I have my computer and seperate speakers I use for that. I am going to make a trip today and listen to the new setup.\\
Thanks!
Andy
post #3101 of 35146
can i put center speaker on the top of TV? no space under TV
post #3102 of 35146
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTrep View Post

can i put center speaker on the top of TV? no space under TV

Yes.
post #3103 of 35146
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTrep View Post

can i put center speaker on the top of TV? no space under TV

I did. See attached picture. Not quite finished playing around yet but that is where the center is staying.
LL
post #3104 of 35146
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTrep View Post

can i put center speaker on the top of TV? no space under TV

Yes, but try to angle towards listening position if possible.
post #3105 of 35146
Ohio, thanks for the earlier suggestion to building a shelf. I actually did do that, and lowered my center channel about 18" right above the TV.

I am pretty happy with my current setup. I am using RTi10's as L/R, CSi5 C, and some R50's for surround (actually have 2 sets of R50s for 7.1, but I don't have the room right now), using an Onkyo 805 to drive them How much of an increase would I see if I switched from those R50's to FXi5's?
I like the idea and the stability of the R50's vs. the FXi5's and stands....
post #3106 of 35146
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike View Post

The 70's have a deeper sound that adds more scale to movies and are crisper and more defined than the 50's due to the 3 way design and added bass extension.
The CS2 holds similar advantages over the CS1. Voices have more depth and scale and it is capable of reproducing movie sound effects more efficiently and accurately due to the larger woofers and enclosure. Visually, the CS1 would be dwarfed by the 70's if you went with them. The CS1 is a very capable center, but better matched with 60's or below.
The 30's are very capable surrounds and should do an excellent job for you as both side and rear surrounds. However...if you listen to multi channel music a lot, you may want to use 50's or 60's as side surrounds to have a better bass extension in the music. But for movies and games, which sounds more like what you're into, the 30's will do great.


I got the upgrade bug but will do it slowly from now until June to coincide with the new Pioneer reciever coming out. I am moving up to Monitor 70's but wouldn't the monitor 40's be a better match than the 30's?
post #3107 of 35146
Would love to see the new pics Wings.

I think I have finalized my set-up as of today (for now ) with a few changes in placement and stand upgrades. I will post the new pics tomorrow. I really like the new look and viewing is better now along with sound.

1) Created a platform on top of my TV stand to place my LCD on and raised it 4.5" also allowing me to move it to the very back of the stand. While fully reclined, the bottom of the screen is now at eye level creating a more dramatic effect and making the screen appear larger.

2) That allowed me to place my center on the top platform of the stand in front of and below the LCD. Center is now at ear height and performing much better thus far. Tested with King Kong HD DVD tonight.

3) With all shelves now free on the stand, I was able to move all equipment below the TV. Took the Audio Rack stand out of the room. Need to pick up a spacer of some sort tomorrow so I can place the PS3 over the HD DVD player on the bottom shelf. PS3 just creates too much heat to set it directly on top of other equipment. Lots of re-wiring required for this change in equipment placement.

4) With the audio cabinet out of the way and 18" more wall space, I moved the Fronts in closer to the LCD and moved the sub to the outside corner on the right side to increase the reflection points from the open side it was on at the left. The fronts being in closer actually helped the surround realism, I had expected quite the opposite to happen. But I really wanted to open up the entry way and get the sub into the corner.

It was one heck of busy first day of vacation for me, but well worth the time and effort so far. A much cleaner, less congested look with some increased performance to boot. I will try to get the new pics done tomorrow after I finish getting the PS3 set back up and clean up some of the wiring issues.
post #3108 of 35146
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossg View Post

I did. See attached picture. Not quite finished playing around yet but that is where the center is staying.

Ha ha...I like the sticker reminding everyone that your TV is "Full HD"....

Good looking setup though.
post #3109 of 35146
Alright, I got the new pics posted in my signature.
Went to Wal-mart late last night in my boredom and found a $6.00 chrome expandable shelf. This allowed me to place the A3 over top of the PS3 on the same bottom shelf with plenty of breathing room between them.

Total project cost...about $12.50!!! Damn I'm good!!!

Wood= $3.00 (Home Depot even cut it for me, for free!!)
Fabric= $1.00
Nails= $2.50
Shelf= $6.00
As opposed to the $200 I was about to spend for a new wall mount style vertical stand. Always pays to be creative in this hobby. If you guys ever need ideas, I am full of them.
post #3110 of 35146
Hey Ron,
If you have time, I think your knowledge may be very helpful in this thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1024669

I'm trying but...you know more about the older Polk models than me, by far.
post #3111 of 35146
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvbull200 View Post

Ha ha...I like the sticker reminding everyone that your TV is "Full HD"....

Good looking setup though.

Hehe. Thats been on there for 6 months but I have now removed it.

OhioMike. Nice set up. Would be interested in what you ended up with for your cross-overs as we have pretty much the same setup. I've read that the Onkyo TX-SR705's Audyssey has a bad habit of setting everything at full band and mine is no different. Maybe your Onkyo does it properly?
Edit: Added some crappy Audyssey setup pics.
LL
LL
post #3112 of 35146
Just curious as to what speaker stands people are using for Monitor 30's (I'll have them as surrounds)? I'm looking for some that are at least 28" and no taller than 31". The Sanus stands on Amazon don't look too bad (not to mention their price), but I also found some in Fry's that would be perfect...but I don't think I want to spend $150 on two stands. They were manufactured by a company called "Planet," but I can't for the life of me find them online.
post #3113 of 35146
I previously had my 70's @ 50hz--all the rest at 80hz. When I re-did my set-up the other night, my 605, as usual, set everything to full band again. I actually left it this time just to see what it sounded like. Watched King Kong HD DVD and it sounded great as full band. Great bass pouring from every scene all around me...but I think it overwhelmed the dialogue a bit, so I am going to set the CS2 @ 60hz ( I think that was an option) and leave the rest full band to see how that works out. I will report back after a big Friday movie marathon I am planning for tomorrow.
Thanks for the compliment as well
post #3114 of 35146
Hello Everyone, This is my first post here. I have been reading for awhile and finally pulled the trigger on a new HT Setup. I am upgrading from a 500.00 kenwood HTIB.

Receiver: Onkyo 805

Mains: RTI A7's

Center: CSI A6

Surrounds: FXI A6

Sub: Velodyne VRP-1200

First off, Is this a good setup? And most importantly, what would be a good xover settings for these 80? 100? I have ran the Audyssey setup, but it put my fronts and ctr to Full band Anyone have any magic numbers or any advise to make this baby sing? Thanks Again Tryton
post #3115 of 35146
Tryton,
It is a beautiful set-up. You will love the A series Polks. Welcome to the family!
The VRP-1200 may be a little out of place. I have recommended it many times now for the budget conscience shopper because it is a good sub for the current pricing, hoping you paid well under $200 at CC for it, but may be a little on the lower spectrum versus the quality you put into the other 5. I think it will work well for you, but may be the one spot you end up upgrading down the road a bit. Good news is, if you got it for $150-170, it is an excellent value that you can pass along to someone and get your money back by selling to a friend if it does end up underwhelming you.
Again....it is a good sub....just not as high on the food chain as the rest of your speakers. Let us know though how it does for you.
post #3116 of 35146
Thanks Mike! Yeah, I bought that sub awhile ago (Wife blew out the sub that came with the kenwood system) I think I paid about 250ish.. not sure now, it's been awhile.. My biggest problem now is setting this right. I called polk and they told me to set all to 80hz. Reading here I have seen from 60 to 120hz. So Any guidance would be Helpful. thanks Again!!!!

ps. Yeah, Well My wife would run me over in the car If I went out and bought another speaker.. she almost stroked out with what I spent on these.. I will get a better sub for this system (Gotta wait a couple of months)
post #3117 of 35146
Do you have the sub set at the standard 80hz cutoff? If so...put your fronts and center @ 60 or 70hz so you have some mix-in between the 4 speakers. Set the Rears to 80hz. Give this a shot. Maybe 80hz on the center as well....play around a bit and have fun with it.
post #3118 of 35146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryton View Post

Thanks Mike! Yeah, I bought that sub awhile ago (Wife blew out the sub that came with the kenwood system) I think I paid about 250ish.. not sure now, it's been awhile.. My biggest problem now is setting this right. I called polk and they told me to set all to 80hz. Reading here I have seen from 60 to 120hz. So Any guidance would be Helpful. thanks Again!!!!

ps. Yeah, Well My wife would run me over in the car If I went out and bought another speaker.. she almost stroked out with what I spent on these.. I will get a better sub for this system (Gotta wait a couple of months)

Polk recommends the 80hz crossover for just about every configuration. It's the THX standard and works well with pretty much any system. You should try the A7s crossed at 40 and 60 as well to see which sounds best for you (for HT). For 2 channel music, I'd experiment with the both cut at 60 with the sub and running full band + double bass and see which sounds best. If you plan on running music without the sub, then full band all the way.
post #3119 of 35146
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike View Post

Do you have the sub set at the standard 80hz cutoff? If so...put your fronts and center @ 60 or 70hz so you have some mix-in between the 4 speakers. Set the Rears to 80hz. Give this a shot. Maybe 80hz on the center as well....play around a bit and have fun with it.

I always thought that the sub should be filtered lower that any other speaker? and shouldn't they all match?
Told ya I needed help
post #3120 of 35146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Polk recommends the 80hz crossover for just about every configuration. It's the THX standard and works well with pretty much any system. You should try the A7s crossed at 40 and 60 as well to see which sounds best for you (for HT). For 2 channel music, I'd experiment with the both cut at 60 with the sub and running full band + double bass and see which sounds best. If you plan on running music without the sub, then full band all the way.

crossing the a7's or all of them?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread