or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 134

post #3991 of 34733
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT TECH View Post

Geez Guys, not one reply? Can somebody make a suggestion?

I love my SVS PB 10 with my polk setup.
post #3992 of 34733
90% sure I am getting an MFW15 from AV123 as my sub. I have RTi10's CSi5 C and R50's for surround.
post #3993 of 34733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebronze View Post

FXI rears and an SVS/HSU/Velodyne/eD sub that fits into your budget.

+1
post #3994 of 34733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebronze View Post

Try listening to them in both modes. For home theater, I usually set to small, and when listening to music I turn my towers to large (full range) and either turn the sub off, or lower its volume.

Thanks I'll try that. Why do you think there is a difference between music and movies?
post #3995 of 34733
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrod6 View Post

Thanks I'll try that. Why do you think there is a difference between music and movies?

Well most music isnt supposed to be blasting away on the subwoofer (unless you are listening to hip hop, rap, etc.)

And movies get alot of use out of the lower LFE channel, and sometimes when my towers are set to full range the bass can get a little boomy.

I have my crossover set to 60hz, which gives me a great balance when watching movies.
post #3996 of 34733
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrod6 View Post

I have RTi A7 fronts, CSi A4 center, FXi A4 surrounds, and a Pioneer Vsx-94TXH receiver. These have been running without a sub for a few months, so I had the A7 fronts configured as Large speakers and the center and surrounds as small.
This week I received a HSU VTF2MK3 Sub so I configured the A7 fronts as small. Today I ran the automatic config function on the receiver and it recognized all speakers as large - I guess because they can provide some base? I manually reset them back to small.
Do you think am I missing something from the speakers by not having them set to large?

The VSX-94TXH has multiple user memories for a reason! I have two that I switch back and forth frequently.

Memory 1 (M1) I configured for Home Theater. Subwoofer enabled, 80 Hz crossover, all speakers set to Small.

Memory 2 (M2) I configured for stereo/critical listening. Subwoofer still enabled, but level turned down -3dB. Fronts (Polk RTi10s) set to LARGE, all others set to SMALL, 80 Hz crossover.

There's a button on the VSX-94TXH remote control to quickly run through the memory settings ... and you can rename the memory settings in the configuration of the receiver so you don't have to remember M1/M2/etc and what they're for. =)

I think my RTi10s sound fanastic for stereo, but setting them to Small for 5.1/7.1 HT soundtracks is almost required. Thing get way too boomy when the sub is playing the LFE encoded (.1) track in addition to the RTi10's bass output, which doesn't stink!

Greg
post #3997 of 34733
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammong View Post

The VSX-94TXH has multiple user memories for a reason! I have two that I switch back and forth frequently.

Memory 1 (M1) I configured for Home Theater. Subwoofer enabled, 80 Hz crossover, all speakers set to Small.

Memory 2 (M2) I configured for stereo/critical listening. Subwoofer still enabled, but level turned down -3dB. Fronts (Polk RTi10s) set to LARGE, all others set to SMALL, 80 Hz crossover.
...
I think my RTi10s sound fantastic for stereo, but setting them to Small for 5.1/7.1 HT soundtracks is almost required.

I wish that my Yamaha V661 had this memory option! I'm also using RTi10 fronts (w/ CSiA4 & F/Xi3's). My newest addition is an av123 MFW-15 sub, and this thing seems to me to be a fine piece of equipment, HOWEVER, I'm still working out issues of placement, calibration, etc... IOW, fine tuning it to my room/system/taste.

I use this system to listen to music more often than I watch movies. Ok, I don't even have my video portion yet - I'm working with a small crt tv that I've set on the floor just so I don't feel completely ridiculous when I'm testing out my audio system's HT performance. One thing I have noticed, is that for music, I really don't even need a sub. The RTi10 towers seem to go as low as I need them for rock/alternative and even the music my kids like (Flo Rida, anyone?) Yes, the MFW can sing along if I want it to, but at music (frequency) levels it actually sounds better with the RTi10's set to large and the sub off, which is what I do if I'm listening to music in DSP/PLIIx or any multi-speaker mode. Pure Direct seems to automatically switch the fronts to large or "full range," which is what I do if I just want 2-channel sound. These towers (and I'm assuming many good quality towers) can produce some amazing low end... Every time I hear it, I keeping looking at these things wondering where that sound just came from.

So, while I think the sub (via the LFE channel) adds an incredible benefit for movies, I'm not so sure, with decent quality towers, if it's really necessary for me for music. I'm going to continue experimenting, especially with placement and calibration. Hopefully I can find a configuration where all my speakers can play together nicely.
post #3998 of 34733
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammong View Post

The VSX-94TXH has multiple user memories for a reason! I have two that I switch back and forth frequently.

I wish I would have known that the Pioneer had that option before I bought the Onkyo. It's a PITA to set the crossovers manually and turn down the sub when listening to music and then re-setting when you go to HT. Haven't really played with Direct mode. Maybe I will give that a try.
post #3999 of 34733
So I can get the TSi300s at Best Buy for a good price....would they match well with a CSi2 center and monitor 30 rears? From what I've read they are the monitor line repackaged for Best Buy, but maybe that's oversimplifying it.
post #4000 of 34733
Do you guys think this setup will sound good for a 7.1 setup?

Onkyo 606
CS2 Center
Moniter 70's for mains
4 R50 for surrounds
DSW PRO 600

or would I be better off with Moniter 30's for my 4 surrounds?
post #4001 of 34733
Hi Folks,

I posted this question on the Polk forums recently but hope to get broader input here:

I'm contemplating whether I should bite the bullet at get the FXiA6s on sale at Crutchfield's (with a free sub) right now. I know they're dipole/bipole capable but aren't sure they're worth the premium over the RTiA3s when used as 5.1 surrounds. They'll be paired with an Onkyo 705, RTiA7s, and a CSiA6.

From what I've been able to learn, it looks like opinions vary on the issue of dipole vs bipole speakers for surrounds with this depending on music (bipole) vs HT (dipole) use.

Here's what I'd like to ask y'all:

- Has anyone listened to the FXiA6 vs. RTiA3 as surrounds? (subjective opinions welcome)

- If using them strictly as surrounds, does it make a significant difference to upgrade to the FXiA6s or stick with the FXiA4s?



For those who're interested, here's one take on the bipole-dipole debate:
http://www.baudline.com/erik/ht/common_ht_mistakes.html

The dipole vs. direct radiating surround speaker debate is a hot and flammable topic. Many opinions differ on this topic and one speaker manufacturer has even made a "tripole" surround speaker that is a mix of direct and dipole. Some people even swear by bipole surrounds. So why do I think dipoles are better?

* Dipoles are a closer match to the surround speaker arrays found in movie theatres.
* Studios mix movies for movie theatres, not home theatres. This trend does not look like it is going to change.
* Ambience and envelopment are the goals of surround speakers not 3D holographic rear stereo images. Dipoles do a better job at envelopement due to the sound being directed away from the listener. Having the forward and backwards firing sounds out-of-phase, which is the difference bewteen a dipole and not a bipole, makes the speaker harder to pinpoint.
* The surround speakers should not distract and attention away from the screen. As Mr Holman says "they should help to draw you into the film."
* Dipoles have a bigger surround sweet spot than direct radiating surrounds have.
post #4002 of 34733
i have a 605 and 2 polk monitor 60's that can handle up to 200 watts for my fronts.
i was going to bi-amp the speakers, but heard it really doesn't do much.

since the 605's put out 90w/channel, could i put the setting on the 605 to bi-amp (so the fronts don't get a mix of front and surround channels), but just use 2 sets of cables (Fronts and rear surrounds) to one set of terminals on the back of the speaker (with the jumper on) to get 180w to each speaker?

or does that violate some wiring/electrical/sound principle?

thanks
post #4003 of 34733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebronze View Post

Well most music isnt supposed to be blasting away on the subwoofer (unless you are listening to hip hop, rap, etc.)

And movies get alot of use out of the lower LFE channel, and sometimes when my towers are set to full range the bass can get a little boomy.

I have my crossover set to 60hz, which gives me a great balance when watching movies.

Try music like Steely Dan 2 Againest Nature, Johnny Lang and SACDs if you have a SACD player for some excellent musical bass
post #4004 of 34733
Quote:
Originally Posted by thsmith View Post

Try music like Steely Dan 2 Againest Nature, Johnny Lang and SACDs if you have a SACD player for some excellent musical bass

I have a few sacds, but still, I dont set my sub up so it rattles the room.
post #4005 of 34733
Quote:
Originally Posted by irfan11 View Post

Hi Folks,

I posted this question on the Polk forums recently but hope to get broader input here:

I'm contemplating whether I should bite the bullet at get the FXiA6s on sale at Crutchfield's (with a free sub) right now. I know they're dipole/bipole capable but aren't sure they're worth the premium over the RTiA3s when used as 5.1 surrounds. They'll be paired with an Onkyo 705, RTiA7s, and a CSiA6.

From what I've been able to learn, it looks like opinions vary on the issue of dipole vs bipole speakers for surrounds with this depending on music (bipole) vs HT (dipole) use.

Here's what I'd like to ask y'all:

- Has anyone listened to the FXiA6 vs. RTiA3 as surrounds? (subjective opinions welcome)

- If using them strictly as surrounds, does it make a significant difference to upgrade to the FXiA6s or stick with the FXiA4s?



For those who're interested, here's one take on the bipole-dipole debate:
http://www.baudline.com/erik/ht/common_ht_mistakes.html

The dipole vs. direct radiating surround speaker debate is a hot and flammable topic. Many opinions differ on this topic and one speaker manufacturer has even made a "tripole" surround speaker that is a mix of direct and dipole. Some people even swear by bipole surrounds. So why do I think dipoles are better?

* Dipoles are a closer match to the surround speaker arrays found in movie theatres.
* Studios mix movies for movie theatres, not home theatres. This trend does not look like it is going to change.
* Ambience and envelopment are the goals of surround speakers not 3D holographic rear stereo images. Dipoles do a better job at envelopement due to the sound being directed away from the listener. Having the forward and backwards firing sounds out-of-phase, which is the difference bewteen a dipole and not a bipole, makes the speaker harder to pinpoint.
* The surround speakers should not distract and attention away from the screen. As Mr Holman says "they should help to draw you into the film."
* Dipoles have a bigger surround sweet spot than direct radiating surrounds have.


Save alot of money by watching ebay for a set of FXI A6's. $500 for a pair is incredibly overpriced at crutchfield
post #4006 of 34733
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambonea4d View Post

Do you guys think this setup will sound good for a 7.1 setup?

Onkyo 606
CS2 Center
Moniter 70's for mains
4 R50 for surrounds
DSW PRO 600

or would I be better off with Moniter 30's for my 4 surrounds?

anybody know? Im kinda in a bind since they are on sale only this weekend...
post #4007 of 34733
I personally would go with the Monitor 30s, because they are bookshelf and in the monitor series (consistent with your CS2 and 70s). That's on paper though, I couldn't tell you from actual experience. I'm kinda in the same situation except the TSi series versus monitor series and pairing them up with a CS2. I would be buying TSi300s instead of Monitor 50s but probably having Monitor 30s as the surround. I'm concerned with the TSis not matching with the monitor series speakers.
post #4008 of 34733
thanks man I was leaning towards 30s since they do match its just the r50s are so cheap at Frys it would save me cash on stands lol
post #4009 of 34733
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambonea4d View Post

Do you guys think this setup will sound good for a 7.1 setup?

Onkyo 606
CS2 Center
Moniter 70's for mains
4 R50 for surrounds
DSW PRO 600

or would I be better off with Moniter 30's for my 4 surrounds?

The 70's as fronts and CS2 as center are good choices. I have these speakers myself and I'm quite pleased. I would opt for the Monitor 30's unless you're really bent on getting some base from your surrounds. As for the DSW PRO 600, you may be able to do better with an internet direct subwoofer from eD, SVS, or HSU. It really depends on the price at which you can get the DSW.
post #4010 of 34733
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm7c View Post

The 70's as fronts and CS2 as center are good choices. I have these speakers myself and I'm quite pleased. I would opt for the Monitor 30's unless you're really bent on getting some base from your surrounds. As for the DSW PRO 600, you may be able to do better with an internet direct subwoofer from eD, SVS, or HSU. It really depends on the price at which you can get the DSW.

+1. I have the 70's and CS2 in front the 50's as sides and 30's as rear and I think the 30 would have served just as well for all the surrounds. The only reason I went with the 50's was to get rid of the speaker stands.
post #4011 of 34733
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambonea4d View Post

thanks man I was leaning towards 30s since they do match its just the r50s are so cheap at Frys it would save me cash on stands lol

Go with the 50's...were are talking surrounds here. And if it save you cash on stands then there you go. I have 2 r50's for surrounds and love the sound from them. You will be happy and you can always drop 2 50's off for a decent stereo set up if needed. They crank butt!!!
post #4012 of 34733
I'm looking for my first pair of Polks. This will be for a 2-channel system, driven by a Marantz PM7001 integrated amplifier.

Looking at both the bottom end of the RTi A line versus the top end of the TSi line. Anything to consider when choosing between them? Thanks in advance.
post #4013 of 34733
Quote:
Originally Posted by milaz001 View Post

I'm looking for my first pair of Polks. This will be for a 2-channel system, driven by a Marantz PM7001 integrated amplifier.

Looking at both the bottom end of the RTi A line versus the top end of the TSi line. Anything to consider when choosing between them? Thanks in advance.

RTI A have better cabinets, and a more refined sound. Try to give them a quick listen somehow (Circuit City, Tweeter, etc.etc.)
post #4014 of 34733
Quote:
Originally Posted by milaz001 View Post

I'm looking for my first pair of Polks. This will be for a 2-channel system, driven by a Marantz PM7001 integrated amplifier.

Looking at both the bottom end of the RTi A line versus the top end of the TSi line. Anything to consider when choosing between them? Thanks in advance.

The A5s without a doubt.
post #4015 of 34733
Very helpful advice, thanks.

Do you think my integrated amp will have enough power? It's rated at 70 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.02% THD.
post #4016 of 34733
Quote:
Originally Posted by milaz001 View Post

I'm looking for my first pair of Polks. This will be for a 2-channel system, driven by a Marantz PM7001 integrated amplifier.

Looking at both the bottom end of the RTi A line versus the top end of the TSi line. Anything to consider when choosing between them? Thanks in advance.

The A5 is an updated version of the Rti8. There are huge, HUGE, discounts on the Rti8's right now, $200 each. The A5 might have a slight edge over the Rti8's but is it worth double the price? I doubt it.

I don't know how well your amp will drive them but you might want to look at the Rti10's as well. They're on huge sales as well. And with the dual bass drivers you'll get much better low end extension which might be highly desirable for 2 channel audio.
post #4017 of 34733
Quote:
Originally Posted by milaz001 View Post

Very helpful advice, thanks.

Do you think my integrated amp will have enough power? It's rated at 70 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.02% THD.


It should be fine, unless you are trying to listen at extremely high volumes.

Some pictures of my RTI a9:





post #4018 of 34733
Hi all,
I just bought a pair of RC80i in-ceilings for my screened porch. The porch is under construction. So I have the option of completely sealing the ceiling chambers behind each speaker, or of leaving an opening into the soffit-vent. Do you think I'd get better sound from the RC80i's by sealing the chambers, or by leaving the space open into the soffit? Thanks, David
post #4019 of 34733
Quote:
Originally Posted by irfan11 View Post

The dipole vs. direct radiating surround speaker debate is a hot and flammable topic...

Yup. To each his own, but I like the diffused sound you can get from dipoles. I've used a pair of Polk FXi30s dipole surrounds for about 5 five years in my 5.1 system and like them quite a bit. I feel like you can get a more seamless surround sound with dipoles than with direct radiators, but it depends on your room, placement, tastes, etc. etc.
post #4020 of 34733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebronze View Post

It should be fine, unless you are trying to listen at extremely high volumes.

Some pictures of my RTI a9:

Thanks for the pictures. Should have my cherry A9's in a couple of weeks. Have to do special order because the stores up here are only carrying black A9's.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread