It was a LONG day. We (Yldesyde/David and myself) started about 10:30 this morning and finished about 9PM this eve. Sanding took a bit longer than expected - waiting for wood filler to dry, moving from column to column, etc. Anyway, no veneering done today - but they are READY to do that next. Here are a few pics:
1st thing we needed to do it fill all the nail holes, bondo any dips in the wood then sand until smooth. Here is David sanding one of the columns. Notice there are (2) on the sawhorses - as the other one is mine.
After we completed the sanding, we gave them a quick vacuum to get the heavy saw dust off of them. We will plan to wipe these down with a barely damp rag and follow up with a cheese cloth to remove any dust before the veneer is applied.
Here are all (8) columns sitting out on the driveway while we cleaned up the garage - talk about a lot of saw dust. My wife wouldn't even come out into the garage because of the cloud of dust that floated in the air. Both David and I wore respirator masks to keep our lungs healthy.
Here is a picture of the (6) sheets of 4'x8' paper backed Maple veneer I bought yesterday. I cannot wait to get it on the columns to see how it looks. Hopefully I'll get a few columns done this weekend.