or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › SWithey Home Theater Construction
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SWithey Home Theater Construction - Page 100

post #2971 of 2998
Steve, Doors look Great, gives me the confidence to try making my own raised panels for columns.

Router Table... Very Cool, I had been looking at purchasing a larger one, but somehow several cases of beer and a couple pieces of melamine sound like a much better investment.. Watch for the "Hoosier" version to be released later this fall

I just looked at a couple of my routers, and none appeared even close to the 3 hole pattern/ screw size you used to mount yours. Did you use clamps to mount the router to the underside of the MDF? (thats how they mount to my small router table)

Happy Sawdust,

Brad
post #2972 of 2998
I'm looking to make a router table attachment for my Ridgid 24000 tablesaw and was wondering if you could show a pic or two of how you connected the router to the top. I believe I have the same router as you do (big Frued). Any pics (at your earliest convenience) would be greatly appreciated.

Doors look sweet. Thanks for passing along the tip about the drywall mud.

Dan
post #2973 of 2998
Steve, how do you regulate the travel of that fence? What keeps it straight and how do you fix it in place?
post #2974 of 2998
Love it! Keep the pics comin'
post #2975 of 2998
Your work alone never ceases to amaze, now your building your own tools basically!!! Very nice. Doors came out great, as said above keep the pics comin.
post #2976 of 2998
Still building stuff Steve? You're just a DIY addict

Bryan
post #2977 of 2998
Homemade router table - way to go Steve!
I like the way you think.

This is the homemade "portable" one my father in-law made for my project this summer (Thanks Again - Dad)

Check out the infinitely adjustable fence, and adjustable legs

:-)

post #2978 of 2998
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottfox View Post

Go Cowboys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifeliciano View Post

Yeah !

We've had a good run! Last Sunday's game was awesome!
post #2979 of 2998
This next game is the one that will count the most-- The Eagles.
post #2980 of 2998
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKKNK View Post

Steve, Doors look Great, gives me the confidence to try making my own raised panels for columns.

Router Table... Very Cool, I had been looking at purchasing a larger one, but somehow several cases of beer and a couple pieces of melamine sound like a much better investment.. Watch for the "Hoosier" version to be released later this fall

I just looked at a couple of my routers, and none appeared even close to the 3 hole pattern/ screw size you used to mount yours. Did you use clamps to mount the router to the underside of the MDF? (thats how they mount to my small router table)

Happy Sawdust,

Brad

Thanks Brad. I put it off for years but finally had a project worthy of having one.

No clamps used. My router came with 3 screw holes specifically used to mount it to a table. I just traced them onto the board, drilled, countersunk and screwed them into the router. I did have to buy some longer screws from HD.

I like the idea of a a clamp system better but this was quick and dirty. I plan to but a "true" router plate eventually and use that to attach to the router.
post #2981 of 2998
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by advertguy2 View Post

I'm looking to make a router table attachment for my Ridgid 24000 tablesaw and was wondering if you could show a pic or two of how you connected the router to the top. I believe I have the same router as you do (big Frued). Any pics (at your earliest convenience) would be greatly appreciated.

Doors look sweet. Thanks for passing along the tip about the drywall mud.

Dan

Dan,

I was very focused on painting this weekend and did not have a chance to take any pics. Basicaly, I cut a circular hole large enough to fit the bit. Next, I took the router base plate off, marked the holes and drilled accordingly. Lastly, you screwed in from the screws from the top into the base of the router. I'll try to get some pics for you next time I'm in the garage.

Yes, the tip about using the drywall mud works like a charm. Paint goes on great the first time!
post #2982 of 2998
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

Steve, how do you regulate the travel of that fence? What keeps it straight and how do you fix it in place?

I have a pin on one side of the fence and use a clamp to secure it on the other. It basically pivits. I can't take credit for the design -- I saw a few builds like this on the internet.
post #2983 of 2998
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audixium View Post

Love it! Keep the pics comin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Your work alone never ceases to amaze, now our building your own tools basically!!! Very nice. Doors came out great, as said above keep the pics comin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpape View Post

Still building stuff Steve? You're just a DIY addict

Bryan

Thanks guys. Sometimes when you DIY, you have a "DOE" day. Well, today was one of those days. After taking Friday off to get everything painted, I put my last coat of paint on this morning (2 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint). I had sprayed everything and everything looked great! I was feeling good.

We decided to match the color of the trim we have in the house (kind of an off-white color). I took one of the completed cabinet doors into the house to show the wife my handy work. The wife saw it and said the doors looked a little yellow. I explained how I matched an old piece of trim I removed from our laundry room (and even showed her the piece I matched). Well, it appears that my builder used a slightly different color in the laundry room.

To say I'm a bit miffed (at myself) is an understatment. The wife is off to the paint store tomorrow to pick up the actual Kwal (formally Jones Blair) paint swatch and take it to Sherwin Williams to have them match that. This is probably what I should have done in the beginning

Oh well, lesson learned. I plan to go into work a little late on Wed and spray it first thing in the morning. With the time change, it is impossible to do it when I get home from work.

More soon...
post #2984 of 2998
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Homemade router table - way to go Steve!
I like the way you think.

This is the homemade "portable" one my father in-law made for my project this summer (Thanks Again - Dad)

Check out the infinitely adjustable fence, and adjustable legs

:-)

Nice DIY table. I like the little on/off foot petal you have on the ground. Looks like you built you own router plate as well. I may do the same thing. Thanks for the pic!
post #2985 of 2998
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottfox View Post

This next game is the one that will count the most-- The Eagles.

Watching the game as I type! Go Cowboys!
post #2986 of 2998
Thread Starter 
Kids Media Center Update….

Ahh, I was finally able to get the lower cabinets installed and put the near 150+lb counter top in place. I’m happy with the results. In person, the room color is a darker orange (almost burnt orange) than what shows in the pics. You’ll need to talk to my wife about that color. She saw it in a few magazines and knew that was the color for the room. The idea was to make this a fun "tween-er" room for my girls -- whatever that means .

I do plan to put a backing in the knee space -- but wanted to wait until I knew the exact width. That backing will also allow me to raise and center the outlets to get them out of view. I hid a few outlets in the back of the drawer units to plug in the lamps my wife plans to put on the counter top. I also will be building some pencil drawers for the knee space as well. Drawer and cabinet door hardware is still TBD but will probably be a brushed stainless steel something. And let's not forget the upper cabinets still have to be built

Oh -- and installed a 6.1 surround system (all ceiling speakers) along with a 92" motorized screen (which will be hidden from view behind crown molding). I also plan to build a custom sub woofer. Yes, I'm building a ported 6 cu.ft. sub woofer with a 12" woof that will be disguised as side lamp table (Thank you WAF!). That one should be a fun build.





I was able to get my hands on a used 3000 lumen Sharp 4:3 projector for a heck of a deal (free). This thing is mega-bright. I put it in 16:9 mode and it works perfectly. I have a little light spill above and below (because of the 4:3 to 16:9 conversion) but overall very happy with the results. You can still see the image with all the lights on and windows uncovered. At night, there is NO need for a light as it lights up then entire room. This is truly a light canon. I plan to paint the projector mount white to help it bend in better with the ceiling (wife's request).



I still have a bunch to do on the punch list but it looks like the lower cabinets will be complete by T-Day. Now we can watch the Cowboys play and the kids can watch a movie in their own Media Room Happy that I can check a few items off the Media Center list!
post #2987 of 2998
DON'T DO IT!!!!!! Adding more cabinets means the kids will just accumulate more junk. It won't make the room any neater.
post #2988 of 2998
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottfox View Post

DON'T DO IT!!!!!! Adding more cabinets means the kids will just accumulate more junk. It won't make the room any neater.

You are probably right. Hmm, I'll just put up a 150" 1.78:1 screen and mark it DONE Hey, I think you just saved me about 2 weeks worth of work -- thanks
post #2989 of 2998
Glad I could help. How 'bout that invite... I can bring my media server over to demo it for you.
post #2990 of 2998
[quote=swithey;17287388] I think their favorite right now is Phineas and Ferb. I just watch it in wonder -- a very clever show.QUOTE]im 38 that my favorite show
post #2991 of 2998
My 10 year old daughter watching that show too. I also find it a clever show compared to some of the other shows she watches, but my wife doesn't care for it. Crazy wife of mine!
post #2992 of 2998
Can I ask where you purchased your metal inlays? I went to Lowes this weekend and they didn't carry them. I tried to search your thread but couldn't find it.

Thanks!
post #2993 of 2998
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond design View Post

Can I ask where you purchased your metal inlays? I went to Lowes this weekend and they didn't carry them. I tried to search your thread but couldn't find it.

Thanks!

I purchased mine at Home Depot. They sell for about $10 for 8'. They cut very easily with a compound miter saw. Just be sure to purchase a non-ferrous Metal cutting blade.
post #2994 of 2998
ceilings look amazing
post #2995 of 2998
Thread Starter 
Quick Update -- I updated the pics on the first page. I was able to use a wide angle lens and it made a huge difference.
post #2996 of 2998
Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

Quick Update -- I updated the pics on the first page. I was able to use a wide angle lens and it made a huge difference.

Wow, great pics (not to mention the room of course) - huge is the operative word, the wide angle really makes the room look big.
post #2997 of 2998
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Wow, great pics (not to mention the room of course) - huge is the operative word, the wide angle really makes the room look big.

Thanks Brad. I could not believe how much the wide angle added to the quality of the photo either. It is the only way to photograph more of what the human eye "sees" in real life.

BTW -- your room is coming along very nicely. It will be nice to see the final product!
post #2998 of 2998
Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

BTW -- your room is coming along very nicely. It will be nice to see the final product!

Thanks Steve, I appreciate it - if I can get to 75% of what you've accomplished - well, I will have gotten about 25% further than I expected.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › SWithey Home Theater Construction