or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Philadelphia, PA - OTA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Philadelphia, PA - OTA - Page 55

post #1621 of 3812
So I decided to swing my antenna around towards the Philly area (I haven't checked the signals in that direction in a long while) and I received a lock on 22-1 with great signal strength but no picture at all. Anyone know what station this could be?
post #1622 of 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by wward View Post

So I decided to swing my antenna around towards the Philly area (I haven't checked the signals in that direction in a long while) and I received a lock on 22-1 with great signal strength but no picture at all. Anyone know what station this could be?

It's WNJS Camden, NJN Network, analog channel 23.

Harry
post #1623 of 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGN2001 View Post

It's WNJS Camden, NJN Network, analog channel 23.

Harry

Ah gotcha. Guess they were having some sort of issue last night.

Thanks
post #1624 of 3812
WCAU-DT has been missing PSIP for at least 2 days now, which makes it scan in as 67.3 etc. How can they leave it screwed up for 2 days? Doesn't bode well for post-transition OTA here.
post #1625 of 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post

WCAU-DT has been missing PSIP for at least 2 days now, which makes it scan in as 67.3 etc. How can they leave it screwed up for 2 days? Doesn't bode well for post-transition OTA here.

Called Monday morning about 10AM - nearly impossible to get through because their phone system is useless - finally had to call the news tip line 800 number and get transferred to engineering. They fixed it in less time than it took me to get upstairs to check it out.

So why aren't safeguards in place at this late date to prevent broadcasting a non-conforming digital signal? It would seem the FCC's regulations are meaningless at this point. Instead they need a consumer to call in and tell them what they should already know?
post #1626 of 3812
Thanks, Frank. Couldn't watch the Broncos v Chargers game in HD last night - now I know why.
post #1627 of 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by wward View Post

So I decided to swing my antenna around towards the Philly area (I haven't checked the signals in that direction in a long while) and I received a lock on 22-1 with great signal strength but no picture at all. Anyone know what station this could be?

here's a fun chart to peek around at

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?state...lon2=51&size=9
post #1628 of 3812
22-1...could it have been WYOU-DT (CBS) from Scranton?
post #1629 of 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post

here's a fun chart to peek around at

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?state...lon2=51&size=9

Note that the entry labeled "NEW" on channel 50 is actually the "current" (i.e. minimal signal to the NE) WHYY digital transmitter/antenna license; for some odd reason, it never got merged into the main WHYY record even though it's been operational for years now.
post #1630 of 3812
Is WPVI testing DT-06 today?

- Trip
post #1631 of 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Is WPVI testing DT-06 today?

- Trip

What makes you ask that question?
post #1632 of 3812
http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun...Postcode=08001

Note the entry on physical channel 6. It's appearing for multiple zip codes. It draws on what's currently airing and receivable.

- Trip
post #1633 of 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun...Postcode=08001

Note the entry on physical channel 6. It's appearing for multiple zip codes. It draws on what's currently airing and receivable.

- Trip

What time of day was that scan done? If they did a test and didn't give us advanced notice, that's not very friendly of them.
post #1634 of 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post

What time of day was that scan done? If they did a test and didn't give us advanced notice, that's not very friendly of them.

I have no idea. I was trying to find that out myself.

- Trip
post #1635 of 3812
The News Hour has been broadcast at 480i yesterday and today. 12.3 is supposed to go off the air at 6 pm to free up the bandwidth for 12.1 to go to 1080i but this evening they're showing Slavery and the Making of America on 12.3 between 6 and 7. What's up with that? Here we are 6 weeks from the analog shutoff and it looks like WHYY isn't ready for prime time. I wonder if it's just a matter of some engineer at WHYY being asleep at the switch. I want my HDTV!
post #1636 of 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by otaguy View Post

The News Hour has been broadcast at 480i yesterday and today. 12.3 is supposed to go off the air at 6 pm to free up the bandwidth for 12.1 to go to 1080i but this evening they're showing Slavery and the Making of America on 12.3 between 6 and 7. What's up with that? Here we are 6 weeks from the analog shutoff and it looks like WHYY isn't ready for prime time. I wonder if it's just a matter of some engineer at WHYY being asleep at the switch. I want my HDTV!

I saw an article somewhere that WHYY was launching a new service on 12.3 on 1 January. Perhaps this has primetime content and thus prevents 12.1 being in HD. In this economy, making a buck may well have higher priority than high-resolution reproduction of Jim Lehrer's face; but it would be a shame if they extend this to real HD content like Nature, Nova, etc.

Update: As of Saturday morning they're broadcasting 12.1 at 1080i, and simultaneously 12.2 AND 12.3 at 480i. This is the first time I've ever seen them broadcast in that configuration. The HD picture was clearly inferior (motion artifacts) to a straight 1080i transmission, so I assume they've upped the compression to squeeze in all 3 subchannels. So the short answer is that they seem to be "experimenting".
post #1637 of 3812
I got an email back from WHYY that said they are installing a new encoder. It's supposed to start on January 4 but it looks like they are testing it early.
post #1638 of 3812
Can i assume just a rescan of my directivo will pick up wphl with my DB8 in February? i'm trying to move all my season passes for ABC to my HR20 so i get 6 there. And i think thats the only station i wont get with the DB8 , correct?
post #1639 of 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post

Can i assume just a rescan of my directivo will pick up wphl with my DB8 in February? i'm trying to move all my season passes for ABC to my HR20 so i get 6 there. And i think thats the only station i wont get with the DB8 , correct?

If you get a good picture on WPHL analog now, then you should get a good picture on WPHL-DT when it moves to 17 in Feb. That applies to any station that is moving it's digital channel back to it's old analog channel (unless they're changing antenna pattern very significantly.)
post #1640 of 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post

If you get a good picture on WPHL analog now, then you should get a good picture on WPHL-DT when it moves to 17 in Feb. That applies to any station that is moving it's digital channel back to it's old analog channel (unless they're changing antenna pattern very significantly.)

well actually i dont have any analog tuners
post #1641 of 3812
why is 24 in postage stamp form tonight?
post #1642 of 3812
WHYY's new encoder seems to be working OK. So now there are 3 Philly stations broadcasting one 1080i and two 480i channels: WHYY, WPVI and WCAU. I still get occasional video dropouts with WHYY's HD channel that appear as horizontal white or colored lines. I'm hoping that will go away when they drop down to RF 12 next month but time will tell.
post #1643 of 3812
I am now re-getting Channel 36.1 Digital, I Live in Villanova, and i am unsure what in the heck it is. Has anyone figured this out yet?
post #1644 of 3812
Check the FCC database: http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?state...lon2=51&size=9

Channel 36 is occupied by WMGM, Wildwood NJ. DT service.
post #1645 of 3812
GeekGirl,


Its def. not either one of those. This is CBN type of Christian Channel, so i am unsure where i am able to get it from but if i point north to almost NNE i get it. Its 36.1.
post #1646 of 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMolineux View Post

I am now re-getting Channel 36.1 Digital, I Live in Villanova, and i am unsure what in the heck it is. Has anyone figured this out yet?

It's probably W36DO-D. Probably airs Cornerstone religion.

- Trip
post #1647 of 3812
Channel 36 in the Philly region is a low-power religion station. I picked it up earlier today at the office in Bala Cynwyd. They were running CBN News. Other times I've picked them up they've also had religious programming on.

Harry
post #1648 of 3812
Wierd how we are picking it up, its very very low power. Its almost like why are they even broadcasting. Is it from the Farm or in Darby?
post #1649 of 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMolineux View Post

Wierd how we are picking it up, its very very low power. Its almost like why are they even broadcasting. Is it from the Farm or in Darby?

Post 1571 in this thread indicates Roxborough Farm.
I have not seen it though here in bucks co.
Regards
owenf
post #1650 of 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMolineux View Post

I am now re-getting Channel 36.1 Digital, I Live in Villanova, and i am unsure what in the heck it is. Has anyone figured this out yet?

This is W36DO Cornerstone TV. Only 3.8 kW, broadcasting from Roxborough. Was last night the first time you have seen it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Philadelphia, PA - OTA