or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › DOA 4 Official Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DOA 4 Official Thread - Page 3  

post #61 of 192
It should be in all major retailers today. Not to worry. Some trucks just arrive later than others.
post #62 of 192
It's in my hot little hands right now!! Now if only work would end quickly!
post #63 of 192
I received the call from Gamestop last night to come pick it up today! Woot!
post #64 of 192
Its at my local gamestop.. do i want to spend $65? on it though :shrug:
post #65 of 192
Has anybody picked up the Arcade Stick today (or plan to) ?

--------- Jason
post #66 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp
Has anybody picked up the Arcade Stick today (or plan to) ?

--------- Jason
I plan to get one. None of our local stores have one as of today. I may just order from Gamestop.
post #67 of 192
I'm not trying to bash on DOA or anything, but help me out guys. I love fighting games but could never get into DOA because it felt like style over substance and the punches and kicks never felt bone-crunching like in Tekken. The collision detection in this series has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Are there any of you who love Tekken and Soul Calibur and love this game also? I mean really, what can this game offer me besides nice graphics? I am considering purchasing this because lord knows when the 360 will get another fighter. Or should I just stray away? Online fighting sounds nice though.
post #68 of 192
Well I hate Tekken but I love Sould Calibur and I am a big fan of DOA as well. I am shocked that someone that plays Tekken would comment on collision detection.
post #69 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone
Well I hate Tekken but I love Sould Calibur and I am a big fan of DOA as well. I am shocked that someone that plays Tekken would comment on collision detection.
This is exactly why I asked for people's opinions who like both games.
post #70 of 192
Everyone of my Local Stores are sold out as well on the stick. I picked up the Game as well and would like to be included if the forum gets a clan together..

My Gamertag is the same as my Username
post #71 of 192
Mine is in hand and I'm about to play right now, I'll be back later for a short review.
post #72 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbass2k
I'm not trying to bash on DOA or anything, but help me out guys. I love fighting games but could never get into DOA because it felt like style over substance and the punches and kicks never felt bone-crunching like in Tekken. The collision detection in this series has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Are there any of you who love Tekken and Soul Calibur and love this game also? I mean really, what can this game offer me besides nice graphics? I am considering purchasing this because lord knows when the 360 will get another fighter. Or should I just stray away? Online fighting sounds nice though.
I play a good bit of Tekken and bit of Soul Calibur too. DoA has just as much substance as those games IMHO, but the sex appeal and graphic quality tend to make some people think style over substance.

Perhaps both style & substance?

You'll find plenty of tech breakdown at www.DoaCentral.com if you look around.
post #73 of 192
My local best buy is showing the game in and I'll probably nab it. I want to see how I can use the environment in the fight. I remember a video of the character being thrown into las vegas traffic. Some Maryland gamestops showing the stick is in stock.
post #74 of 192
I picked this up today. I've never played any of the DOA games before, so I'm having a hard time thus far. I really haven't played ANY fighting games since Street Fighter 2.

Hopefully I can start getting up to speed soon. I'm enjoying it but I'm also a bit frustrated trying to get used to it.
post #75 of 192
OK, first impressions, the game shows lots of polish unlike many of the other 360 early releases. The game is very nice looking, especially the backgrounds, player animations are smooth and not jerky as they should be.

This game is not a button masher, this game is not a button masher, live and die by the blocks and counters. If you don't learn to do this, this isn't the game for you. Some nice combos can be stringed together if you take the time to learn them.

Story mode is not excessively hard, I would say a medium difficulty setting. Novices will struggle some, experienced players will probably get through it easily.

Haven't tried online mode yet so nothing to report.

There is a watch mode now where you can choose two or four fighters and have them fight just for your entertainment.

Back to play some more........
post #76 of 192
Well I am sad to say that I am not impressed , I was hoping for more . Which is not to say it looks or plays bad but it does not strike me as truly nex-gen either . Now some of the areas look much better than DOA2 Ultimate & DOA3 but others look like regular ole' DOA2 (helicopter pad for instance) . Some of the water looks real and some of the detail is excellent but not throughout the game .

--- I am glad I waited on the Arcade Stick and decided to play it first because there is no way I would pay $60 for a controller to play this game , it just isn't enough IMO .

--- The game does seem deep from first impressions however and should offer many hours of gameplay via all the different game modes and unlockable content .

--- I am a huge fighting game fan and I love the Tekken / SC series too but I have to be honest and say that I would rather play some 2D Samurai Shodown over this new DOA :( .

--- So far I like Tekken 5 and SC3 better than DOA 4 ... let the flames begin ;) .

---------------- Jason
post #77 of 192
Uh Oh , it gets better ....

The game just locked up and my 360 has not had a single freeze since midnight launch .

--- This game is going back asap :( .


----------------- Jason
post #78 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp
Uh Oh , it gets better ....

The game just locked up and my 360 has not had a single freeze since midnight launch .

--- This game is going back asap :( .


----------------- Jason

I doubt its the game. The 360 is having widespread lock up issues. Mine did it and my buddies. I alreday returned mine to MS and got new one. My buddy is doing the same.

By widespread I mean that probably 25-50% of 360's have locked up at least once. Locking up is not normal and I will not tolerate it.

You're not alone Jason, the freezing/locking up issue is more common than you think.

If it contnues send your unit back to be fixed/replaced.
post #79 of 192
Hey guys I have a session titled AVS FORUM on if anyone from the board wants to join up. I'll leave it up for awhile! I'm Mixie304 by the way!
post #80 of 192
no offence to you fighting-game types, but just what did you expect to see in a fighting game for a next gen system? I mean...its two people in outfits beating the snot out of each other....
???

In screenshots it looked pretty much the same as DOA for the Xbox to my eyes..tho I am not a fighting game fan per say. I'm more of a button masher because I don't have the time to devote to learning one characters hundreds of moves and combos.
post #81 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelover360
I doubt its the game. The 360 is having widespread lock up issues. Mine did it and my buddies. I alreday returned mine to MS and got new one. My buddy is doing the same.

By widespread I mean that probably 25-50% of 360's have locked up at least once. Locking up is not normal and I will not tolerate it.

You're not alone Jason, the freezing/locking up issue is more common than you think.

If it contnues send your unit back to be fixed/replaced.

Well I just exchanged it for another copy so I shall see how it goes ( honestly I would have just returned it but my son loves the DOA games and he is playing it right now ) .

--- I know of the lock-up issues and not to discount that it could have been the box , I find it very coincidental that it had never froze before and a brand new game locked it up within 10 minutes . I know there have been many bad discs out there ( look at what happened with Madden ) so I will keep my fingers crossed that it was just a bad press on that disc and hope it does not turn out to be a widespread issue with DOA4 .

--- By the way it locked up while running the demo that plays if you just let the game sit there (while playing the rock n roll song that sounds like Aerosmith , maybe it is , not really sure) . I have it running like that again right now to see if it does it again ... well it just made it through the entire demo with no glitches ;) .

--- As a matter of fact this new disc seems to load faster than the first one ... hmmm .


------------------ Jason
post #82 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch
no offence to you fighting-game types, but just what did you expect to see in a fighting game for a next gen system? I mean...its two people in outfits beating the snot out of each other....
???
Well honestly that same opinion could hold true for any game type , just because it is a fighting game does not mean that it can't be visually stunning and at least look nex-gen (even if the mechanics are basically the same) ;) .


------------ Jason
post #83 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp

--- As a matter of fact this new disc seems to load faster than the first one ... hmmm .


------------------ Jason
The game loads very fast but as with DOA3 when selecting characters in versus mode once you select who you want it takes sometime before they show up in the character box possibly longer that the game takes to load. Does the same if your checking out the different outfits. Anyone else notice this or is it just me?
post #84 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkeleb
The game loads very fast but as with DOA3 when selecting characters in versus mode once you select who you want it takes sometime before they show up in the character box possibly longer that the game takes to load. Does the same if your checking out the different outfits. Anyone else notice this or is it just me?
--- The first disc I had would take about 5 seconds to load the characters into the box but this new disc does it in about 1 second . That was one of the main things that I noticed regarding the load times which is why I commented about the new disc loading faster .
___________________


--- The game has some comic value too , wait until you see Jann Lee fight the T-Rex ... funny stuff .


--------- Jason
post #85 of 192
I really like this game. Definatly not a button masher! I'll have to use the sparring mode to brush up on the movesj and combos.
Over all the graphics are a step up from the previous DOA's. (I'm outputing 1080 to my Sammy 6168) The character models don't look all that different from DOA Ultimate graphically. The set pieces are cool. I got mauled by a damn cheata in one of the fight arenas! I haven't tried online fighting yet as I want to practice a little more so I won't get powned in 10 seconds! :p
post #86 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberScott
(I'm outputing 1080 to my Sammy 6168)
You would be better off outputting 720p to a 1080p set than 1080i.
--Also, has anyone been able to disable "rumble" on the controller for DOA4? If so, how?
post #87 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esosresik
You would be better off outputting 720p to a 1080p set than 1080i.
I'm curious, why would it be better? On another note...I have seen a few people mention they were not to impressed with the graphics. I am very impressed with the graphics and am playing on a 60" SXRD. I believe this is one of the best looking titles I own. Of course, this is only my opinion. I have only played for a couple hours today but must say I find this game very challenging even on normal mode, and it's fast. Not a button masher, I button mashed and got my but wooped. It's going to take some time to compete with people on Live who have played the series.
post #88 of 192
I have to admit, on my 106" screen output 720p with my Sanyo Z2 this game looks absolutely gorgeous. Havent played a fighter in awhile so I'm finding it hard not to mash the buttons, guess I gotta start practicing a bit. Played my buddy online, noticed a slight lag or two but nothing major. I thought the lobby thing was a bit stupid and childish but I suppose I will get used to it. I disagree about this not being next gen, I mean it's flawless in performance and looks and even though the characters are cartoony, they stilll look amazing in hi-def.
post #89 of 192
I agree that 720p would theoretically be better to a 1080p set though in the real world I doubt it will be much of a difference. The reason it might look better is because 720p is the native format of the game so the xbox converts it to 1080i and then your set converts it to 1080p so the extra conversion step might hurt the quality some what. Also depending on how good the deinterlacer on the tv is that takes the 1080i signal and converts it to 1080p, you might loose some information from the original 720p image.
post #90 of 192
I've tried DOA 4 on both 720p and 1080i on my 6168. I see no difference in picture quality nor in performance. I'll keep it set at 1080 for now. :cool:
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › DOA 4 Official Thread