or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › NEC new plasma thread!!! - 42xr4, 50xr5, 61xr4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEC new plasma thread!!! - 42xr4, 50xr5, 61xr4 - Page 9

post #241 of 4647
I would like for the group to gage the range of recommended calibration of a plasma, and specifically, the 50XR5. What is the bare minimum calibration effort, below which no one would be happy. What is the maximum calibration effort that most would agree is too costly overkill. I have no idea of the cost of hiring a professional, but once my money is on the line, I'd be sick to think he did a lousy job. On the other hand, if I were to buy 1-3 do-it-yourself DVD's and guides, spending an equivalent amount of money, and still mucking up the job, I'd be the fool. Some of you feel you are personally "good" at calibrating. Some of you pray that the screen makes you happy out of the box, so you don't need to have an answer. I believe something is necessary, because otherwise why are we buying the display? Yeah, I'm freeing up floor space, but it's still about the picture!
post #242 of 4647
Plasma appears to be behind on adapting true 1080p. For current plasma purchasers, this isn't a showstopper -- why? A basic answer will suffice. These NEC panels claim 20 years 'til half-brightness, but 1080p will likely be reality much sooner, and we're then partly obsolete. The 50XR5 claims to be able to accept the 1080p, but from what I've read, it won't display it purely. So, how do you sleep at night? Personally, at this price point, I hope to get at least 10 years out of my panel!
post #243 of 4647
42" PX-42XR4
50" PX-50XR5
61" PX-61XR4

So, has anyone confirmed that the only "new" plasma from this group is the 50" PX-50XR5. Are the 42" and 61" plasma's using older technology different from the 50"? Why does the 50" model end with 5 and the other two 4? What is the diffrence?
post #244 of 4647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinocampa View Post

I would like for the group to gage the range of recommended calibration of a plasma, and specifically, the 50XR5. What is the bare minimum calibration effort, below which no one would be happy. What is the maximum calibration effort that most would agree is too costly overkill. I have no idea of the cost of hiring a professional, but once my money is on the line, I'd be sick to think he did a lousy job. On the other hand, if I were to buy 1-3 do-it-yourself DVD's and guides, spending an equivalent amount of money, and still mucking up the job, I'd be the fool. Some of you feel you are personally "good" at calibrating. Some of you pray that the screen makes you happy out of the box, so you don't need to have an answer. I believe something is necessary, because otherwise why are we buying the display? Yeah, I'm freeing up floor space, but it's still about the picture!

Both AVIA and DVE discs can be had for less than 20 bucks. THX optimizer is free as most have at least one or more DVD's that have it. I'd say that's the minimum. It definitely makes a difference. A good ISF calibration would be a nice birthday/father's day/X-mas gift at some point. I plan to hint fairly loudly about it. This assumes I could get someone good obviously. I'd definitely get someone recommended on this forum if possible. Many ISF'ers will travel.
post #245 of 4647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinocampa View Post

Plasma appears to be behind on adapting true 1080p. For current plasma purchasers, this isn't a showstopper -- why? A basic answer will suffice. These NEC panels claim 20 years 'til half-brightness, but 1080p will likely be reality much sooner, and we're then partly obsolete. The 50XR5 claims to be able to accept the 1080p, but from what I've read, it won't display it purely. So, how do you sleep at night? Personally, at this price point, I hope to get at least 10 years out of my panel!

By the time 1080p plasma is as affordable as current models are, SED will be around the corner. After that, I'm sure something else will be waiting to trump SED. XGA and WXGA panels are mature technology and are the best value now.

I'd say 5 years of use is more realistic for HT enthusiasts. My new panel likely will end up upstairs by then replaced by something else or maybe sold.

1080p is accepted on the analog inputs. I've confirmed this with my scaler. The picture is fine but the overscan was a little excessive at around 5-7 percent. This could have been my scaler's fault, though.
post #246 of 4647
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

I have both the 50XR5 and TH-50PX50U. The NEC is the better plasma IMO. Better processing (clearer, especially noticeable with sports) as well as better colors and I'm beginning to think even better blacks/shadow detail. It's a winner from the standpoint of inputs hands-down (2 HDMI, 2 component, VGA, s-video, composite). It's infinitely adjustable through the user menu and supports native rate. The 3 year warranty's nice as well.

It's likely the comparison is similar for the 42 inch models, but I couldn't say for sure.

You can clearly say that the nec is better than the consumer model panny but my belief was that the commercial panny was better then the consumer because once you tweaked all the settings you get true blackas and better image reproduction. Can anyone compare the TH 508uk to the nec. I know they are the same glass but the tweaking of the settings like you were able to do on the nec makes all the difference.
Also the pics I have seen of the508uk compare directly in quality to the nec pics.
post #247 of 4647
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewsky View Post

Can anyone compare the TH 508uk to the nec. I know they are the same glass but the tweaking of the settings like you were able to do on the nec makes all the difference.
Also the pics I have seen of the508uk compare directly in quality to the nec pics.

I assume you mean the consumer and commercial panny's use the same glass.
NEC uses NEC glass. There's a possibility the 42 inch model shares glass with Pioneer but that's speculative.

If you can get an 8UK, I'd say you'd probably be happy with either. My concern with the 8UK was availability, lack of in-home warranty, as well as concerns I had for loss of resolution over the NEC. The consumer model panasonics have inferior resolution, especially for 720p. It is not hard to see the difference either. Whether the commercial panny's do better with resolution I don't know. The floating blacks on the panny don't bother me but I do see them. I see nothing of this with the NEC.
post #248 of 4647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinocampa View Post

Plasma appears to be behind on adapting true 1080p. For current plasma purchasers, this isn't a showstopper -- why? A basic answer will suffice. These NEC panels claim 20 years 'til half-brightness, but 1080p will likely be reality much sooner, and we're then partly obsolete. The 50XR5 claims to be able to accept the 1080p, but from what I've read, it won't display it purely. So, how do you sleep at night? Personally, at this price point, I hope to get at least 10 years out of my panel!

Man,
You seem to be a worry bird . Buy the TV and enjoy.
A great picture quality is what it boils down ot in the end . 1080 or 90 .
This TV has excellent PQ out of the box ,and that is what matters, after you spend all that money. Specs won't make you happy in the end .
post #249 of 4647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post

Watched Star Wars 3 , to nite .
No macroblocking with my OPPO. I think this was the best stress test .
Picture Quality is outstanding just with Default Settings .No Clayface issues.
Very happy so far.
I have no issues with blacks either . They seem to be great .

Big Mac:

With the quality of the scaler on the NEC, is there any PQ advantage to getting an upconverting DVD player like the Oppo? Have you tested your NEC with a "regular" DVD player to compare?
post #250 of 4647
Good question, Viventis. I'm looking at snagging an upconverting DVD player, and wonder if I really need to, even though it only costs two digits, but if it's not needed, I can pick one up really, really cheap, and leave it all up to my NEC XR5 (the sweet thing).
post #251 of 4647
Has anyone gotten to see or buy the new 42 inch model yet and if so how is it? Thanks!
post #252 of 4647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

Big Mac:

With the quality of the scaler on the NEC, is there any PQ advantage to getting an upconverting DVD player like the Oppo? Have you tested your NEC with a "regular" DVD player to compare?


I have not . I do have an old sony non progressive scan DVD player . I will look into it . Someone else in the forum did mention about this issue and there wasn't much of a difference.
post #253 of 4647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouyun View Post

Good question, Viventis. I'm looking at snagging an upconverting DVD player, and wonder if I really need to, even though it only costs two digits, but if it's not needed, I can pick one up really, really cheap, and leave it all up to my NEC XR5 (the sweet thing).

Or what about a non-progressive scan? I am considering the Panasonic DVD-S97S -- progressive scan, upscaling, and HDMI output. Otherwise it is an older Panasonic with none of those three features.

"The Worry Bird"
post #254 of 4647
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for posting your experience, pics, etc. I have been anxiously watching this thread as I would like to "pull ther trigger" very soon.

I was actually ready to buy the 50XM4/50XR4 last year; but only one issue prevented that - it was the dreaded "Image Retention" or "Ghosting" or whatever you want to call it, but the quick test was the was the menu would stay visible on a subsequent black screen (and even in a subsequent picture for a few seconds). I could see this same problem on other derrivitive NEC plasmas (Marantz and Mitsubishi) in showrooms where I had to assume they could really rack up some hours, and so the problem wasn't going away with time.

Can you all confirm that there is *NO* image retention issues? Preferably, can you leave a menu up for a a short period, switch to a black screen, and post a pic of the image retention if there is any?

I'm wondering if anyone in the San Jose area has received one of these yet, and wouldn't mind allowing me to get a quick view - I'll bring beer Anyway, seeing something in person would greatly ease the decision for me.

Thanks for all your great reviews and continued sharing of your XR5 experiences!
post #255 of 4647
I am not sure what time period you need to look for image retention.
with Menu on for approximately 5-7 minutes , i have not seen image retention.
Have watched 5 or so movies so far . A better test would be watching a widescreen movie followed by full length . I did that yesterday .
The horizontal bar or line should retain as it is image is stationary for 3 hours . I have not noticed that so far , that 's all i can say in my brief interaction with this new toy .
post #256 of 4647
How & What for cleaning my new plasma screen ?
Thanks for your help in advance .
Chris ( Cleveland Plasma), you have any products fro cleaning etc?
post #257 of 4647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post

Man,
You seem to be a worry bird . Buy the TV and enjoy.
A great picture quality is what it boils down ot in the end . 1080 or 90 .
This TV has excellent PQ out of the box ,and that is what matters, after you spend all that money. Specs won't make you happy in the end .

I could not agree with you more. One way or the other the consumer electronics companies will ensure that your plasma becomes obsolete, this is how they stay in business. It is not in their self serving interest for you to have a plasma lasting 10 YEARS, not even the ones with 1080P.
post #258 of 4647
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregF2 View Post

Has anyone gotten to see or buy the new 42 inch model yet and if so how is it? Thanks!

I think it is safe to assume that if the scaler is as good as that in the 50XR5 then the 42" will have a better picture as it appears to be the pioneer glass which I believe is the best available. The excellent 14 bit NEC processing should really let this baby shine.

How is it that my post counter is still remaining at 68, too bad for me.
post #259 of 4647
So, I've also been in the market for a new Panny 50", but this NEC is sounding WAY too good to be true. Would most of you prefer the NEC 50" to the Panny? I've been able to locate several of the Pannys locally at excellent prices. Does anyone know of an outlet that sells the NEC and offers competitive financing?

I was really hoping to see more info out of CES this week regarding 1080p plasmas. So far, it looks like nothing exciting has been announced. I imagine that any 1080p Plasma is going to be outlandishly priced for the foreseeable future.

Lastly, are there any potential issues with Blue Ray and HD-DVD compatability with a 720p display such as this?

Thanks!
post #260 of 4647
(Torch) The 42" NEC uses its own glass just like the 50". Only the 61 shares the same glass at this point.

(Big Mac) I'll tell you I have cleaned many screens in my day. To get any piece of glass streek free, looking at it in an angle, in sunlight is almost impossible, until I ran into this product. Takes about 3 mins to clean a screen streek free.



(Drsiebling) There is no dought that the NEC's are changing peoples minds about what a plasma screen is all about.
post #261 of 4647
What is the street price for this 50" NEC? What have people been getting them for?
post #262 of 4647
Quote:
Originally Posted by essogas View Post

What is the street price for this 50" NEC? What have people been getting them for?

Just look at some of the sponsor links on the top for this kind of information. Plasmaconcepts, for instance.
post #263 of 4647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinocampa View Post

Or what about a non-progressive scan? I am considering the Panasonic DVD-S97S -- progressive scan, upscaling, and HDMI output. Otherwise it is an older Panasonic with none of those three features.

"The Worry Bird"

This AVS post is an excellent Primer on how all of this DVD technology works. Well worth the read.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=477740
post #264 of 4647
Does anybody know where you can see one of these in person i New York City or nearby NJ? I called NEC, and they gave me some names. None of them seemed to actually have them. I'm very interested in the 50", but really want to see it first.
post #265 of 4647
I jumped into the wagon without even looking at a XR5.

Now I do not repent it. After I purchased it I compared it with my neighbors Panasonic and other Plasma models at the stores at near by. Stores.

I only have standard def Dish receiver and DVD player.
It made a big difference.

Though I am not very familiar with videophile Lingo, for me and family this is a better purchase.
post #266 of 4647
Sry guys I just cant seem to justify the extra cost increase for the nec over the 50 inch panny and the price of the nec table stand is almost twice the price of the panny stand. No way that the Nec is that much better then the commercial panny. Well have fun with your nec . And yes I do know that the nec has so many more inputs but for right now the panny inputs are good and the price for the panny boards are small.
post #267 of 4647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson5 View Post

I jumped into the wagon without even looking at a XR5.

Now I do not repent it. After I purchased it I compared it with my neighbors Panasonic and other Plasma models at the stores at near by. Stores.

I only have standard def Dish receiver and DVD player.
It made a big difference.

Though I am not very familiar with videophile Lingo, for me and family this is a better purchase.


Same here. I had the feeling that it will be a good product and also the 3 yr warranty.
Another reason was the too common feeling with Panasonic and pioneer.
No regrets at all. I had great experience with NEC ealrlier.
My very first desktop computer 11 yrs ago was NEC.
That thing still works .
Total memory 512 MB .
post #268 of 4647
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewsky View Post

Sry guys I just cant seem to justify the extra cost increase for the nec over the 50 inch panny and the price of the nec table stand is almost twice the price of the panny stand. No way that the Nec is that much better then the commercial panny. Well have fun with your nec . And yes I do know that the nec has so many more inputs but for right now the panny inputs are good and the price for the panny boards are small.

How much do you think is the price difference ?
I hope you are not looking at MSRP on NEC website . Please check with the online retailers on the forum .
post #269 of 4647
No I have this is where I am seeing the price difference. I cant say the exact price but is is about a seven hundred jr bacon cheeseburger price difference.
post #270 of 4647
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewsky View Post

No I have this is where I am seeing the price difference. I cant say the exact price but is is about a seven hundred jr bacon cheeseburger price difference.

That sure is a sum .
Don't blame you .
Do the panny 's have the same 3 yr warranty as NEC . That will be a way to justify it to some extent .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › NEC new plasma thread!!! - 42xr4, 50xr5, 61xr4