or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › NEC new plasma thread!!! - 42xr4, 50xr5, 61xr4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEC new plasma thread!!! - 42xr4, 50xr5, 61xr4 - Page 3

post #61 of 4647
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuy View Post

NEC:

1. Image retention (more-so than Panasonic)
2. Lesser black levels than Panasonic

I have not gotten any feedback suggesting this! Image retention was a concern of the older models. Black levels are equal if not better than the Panasonic. Of course this is all subject to opinion.
post #62 of 4647
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I have not gotten any feedback suggesting this! Image retention was a concern of the older models. Black levels are equal if not better than the Panasonic. Of course this is all subject to opinion.

Ya, none of the issues I mentioned seem to be major complaints. I was just listing the issues that some people have noted (they could've just been overly anal or biased though).
post #63 of 4647
I would also be curious if any of the new buyers received NEC plasmas with any dead pixels.
post #64 of 4647
No dead pixels
good black levels, better or equal to P.
No image retention
No clay faces
Natural skin tones without any adjustments (factory settings.)
post #65 of 4647
I'll try my question again.....

Dos anyone know if the 50xr5 (or any NEC) is sold strictly online or are there B&M stores that carry the line. I don't have a problem with buying online, but would like to see some side by side comparisons if I could.

Thanks,
post #66 of 4647
I couldn't find a list of authorized dealers on NEC's website. I also did a search using a shopping bot and couldn't find any B&M stores listed.
post #67 of 4647
If you call NEC visual systems, probably they may tell you about some dealer who got in display.It is a possibility.
I jumped without seeing one and I do no regret it.
post #68 of 4647
Have had my NEC 50XR5 up and running for the past couple days and here are some initial comments. My neighbor also has a Panasonic 50PXP500U so I was able to make some level of comparison, even though they weren't side by side.

First off, the build detail and silver/black bezel are first rate. I much prefer the NEC over either the consumer or commercial 50" Panny. Even my wife popped in a "wow" when she saw the NEC on the wall (compared to a silver LG and black Vidikron that I had previously). I also did notice the anti-glare feature over my other plasma's too.

Documentation & remote are average. Information about the stand and wall mount are not included with the manuals. I would be hyping that stand as much as possible. Also, a bit strange to see a remote without a number pad as well as a digital zoom button symmetrically across from the volume button. I would give the edge to Panasonic here.

Aspect modes and scaling options are very consistent with other plasmas and especially compared to the Panasonic. Basic four settings with Normal, Zoom, Full, Just with NEC calling Full = Anamorphic and Just = Stadium.

The NEC ships with picture settings set at ~50%. A welcome change from most manufacturer's. A nice feature is the ability to store different picture settings and input's so that you can easily alter the panel to a sporting event versus a movie. An accompanying feature is the ability to boost the black levels a couple times for darker, finer picture.

In terms of picture quality, I am finding the panel to be exceptionally strong. After watching a couple of the football games in HD, I believe that the NEC does outshine the Panasonic in this area. Much closer to what you would see on a Fujitsu. I also noticed this on some outdoor and oceanic shows on the Discovery channel.

On the movie side, I was able to compare Star Wars Episode III and GoodFellas to the Panny 500U. In the opening Star Wars attack scene with Dooku, I do believe that the Panny blacks are still better. A bit more depth in the various space scenes. However, on the NEC, to my earlier point above, colour details from various objects definitely stood out, more so than the Panasonic. Watching the HBO HD broadcast of GoodFellas confirmed some similar experiences. Darker, black, or grey scenes would show more detail on the Panny. This isn't overly obvious but if you do look, I believe you can tell.

Overall, I believe the NEC does live up expectations and is an oustanding value. PQ excels in many areas compared to the competition available now.

I will definitely post some pictures as well as additional details shortly, but wanted to provide some immediate feedback.

Also, special thanks to Chris at Cleveland Plasma for all his work to get this unit over to me during the holiday craziness.
post #69 of 4647
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJR View Post

Have had my NEC 50XR5 up and running for the past couple days and here are some initial comments. My neighbor also has a Panasonic 50PXP500U so I was able to make some level of comparison, even though they weren't side by side.

First off, the build detail and silver/black bezel are first rate. I much prefer the NEC over either the consumer or commercial 50" Panny. Even my wife popped in a "wow" when she saw the NEC on the wall (compared to a silver LG and black Vidikron that I had previously). I also did notice the anti-glare feature over my other plasma's too.

Documentation & remote are average. Information about the stand and wall mount are not included with the manuals. I would be hyping that stand as much as possible. Also, a bit strange to see a remote without a number pad as well as a digital zoom button symmetrically across from the volume button. I would give the edge to Panasonic here.

Aspect modes and scaling options are very consistent with other plasmas and especially compared to the Panasonic. Basic four settings with Normal, Zoom, Full, Just with NEC calling Full = Anamorphic and Just = Stadium.

The NEC ships with picture settings set at ~50%. A welcome change from most manufacturer's. A nice feature is the ability to store different picture settings and input's so that you can easily alter the panel to a sporting event versus a movie. An accompanying feature is the ability to boost the black levels a couple times for darker, finer picture.

In terms of picture quality, I am finding the panel to be exceptionally strong. After watching a couple of the football games in HD, I believe that the NEC does outshine the Panasonic in this area. Much closer to what you would see on a Fujitsu. I also noticed this on some outdoor and oceanic shows on the Discovery channel.

On the movie side, I was able to compare Star Wars Episode III and GoodFellas to the Panny 500U. In the opening Star Wars attack scene with Dooku, I do believe that the Panny blacks are still better. A bit more depth in the various space scenes. However, on the NEC, to my earlier point above, colour details from various objects definitely stood out, more so than the Panasonic. Watching the HBO HD broadcast of GoodFellas confirmed some similar experiences. Darker, black, or grey scenes would show more detail on the Panny. This isn't overly obvious but if you do look, I believe you can tell.

Overall, I believe the NEC does live up expectations and is an oustanding value. PQ excels in many areas compared to the competition available now.

I will definitely post some pictures as well as additional details shortly, but wanted to provide some immediate feedback.

Also, special thanks to Chris at Cleveland Plasma for all his work to get this unit over to me during the holiday craziness.


If aspect ratio settings are similar to Panny does that mean the NEC doesn't stretch 720p/1080i sources?
Also, do you plan on connecting a PC?
post #70 of 4647
Anyone recommed a swivel stand for this 50 inch?
Thanks.
PS anyone know of other forums where they post prices? PM please.
post #71 of 4647
Favorable.

First, the overall buying experience with Chris at Cleveland Plasma was first rate. The panel arrived via freight in perfect condition yesterday (Fri) after being shipped on Tues.

I can confirm the panel will accept native (1365x768) via HDMI from my Lumagen HDP. I'm not sure if I have 1:1 yet, still working on it. It won't accept 1080p so far via HDMI. Could be this will only work through VGA. I'll email NEC about it.

My PQ experience has been HD football so far. In this regard, the NEC seems noticeably superior in providing the "you are there" feel and the 3D window effect compared with my TH-50PX50U. Everything is just so smooth and silky compared to the Panasonic. There is *zero* visible dithering noise from my seating position at 15 ft, whereas I could always see at least some before. Part of this could be the fact I'm feeding native via the HDP, I'll need some time before I can say for sure.
My neighbor commented "it's the best I've ever seen" and he's seen HD rendered on both my Panny and the older Sony LCD RP. For HD football, I'd say this *is* the best I've had it. Color with the default settings seems fine for now. I'm using the mid-low temp setting. I'm going to try to go through AVIA some today. Incidentally, color and tint controls are *disabled* on the 50XR5 when feeding the panel native rate so color and tint will need to be adjusted via the HDP. Cinema mode is also fixed to "On" and can't be adjusted and the only available picture settings are "normal" and "default".

The jury is still out on black levels. I'm still working on how to set things up. I'd give the edge to Panasonic at this point. Black looks black in the picture on the NEC (like the black background around the small ESPNHD scoreboard) but the ESPNHD sidebars are not as black as they were with the Panny. Shadow detail may be another thing altogether though, as the lack of noise/dithering may give the NEC an edge. This always bothered me some with the Panny. In fact, I returned the first 50PX50U I had due to this (I got another one, which I still have). My wife complained that it looked "fuzzy" especially with dark or red backgrounds. This is *not* a problem with the NEC.

Oh yeah, the look/feel etc. is just superb. The NEC definitely *seems* more expensive than the Panny (it is, a little). I can hear the fans with the volume down but it's about the same as the Panny's slight buzz. I'd rather hear fans, actually. It's less objectionable.

I'll try to post more later as I have time to sort through everything a little more. I'll also try to get some pics up as well.
post #72 of 4647
Thanks everyone for posting your reviews .
Keep em comin.
post #73 of 4647
Thanks capcat. Sounds very promising.

When you finish your AVIA calibration, I suggest looking at the Horizontal Gray Ramp test pattern at Title 1, Chapter 103 (also can be found by menu selecting Chapter 7 - Audio & Video Calibration, Video Test Patterns, Gray Scale & Levels, Grey Steps & Ramps, Horizontal Gray Ramp). It should be smooth with no banding or color shifts across the ramp and linear with no compression at either end. It is also a very useful pattern to set the brightness and contrast to maximize dynamic range for best detail. I use the contrast control to get the white end linear and the brightness control to get the black end linear. This is an easy and very revealing test. I have been noticing many of the recent display reviews in Home Theater Magazine include the results of this test.

You are probably are probably familiar with this test but I thought it would be worth mentioning for those not familiar with it's benefits. Let us know how it turns out.
post #74 of 4647
Thanks for posting your reviews so quickly. Much appreciated.

From the spec sheet, it appears that you can set individual color controls as well. I was told that you cannot do this with the consumer Panasonic. Can any of the reviewers confirm this? Also - did you see any red or green push?

Also - do we think that the results for the 42xr4 will be similar to those for the 50xr5?
post #75 of 4647
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM View Post

Thanks for posting your reviews so quickly. Much appreciated.

From the spec sheet, it appears that you can set individual color controls as well. I was told that you cannot do this with the consumer Panasonic. Can any of the reviewers confirm this? Also - did you see any red or green push?

Also - do we think that the results for the 42xr4 will be similar to those for the 50xr5?

You do not have individual color controls on the Panasonic consumer models (next model year?) but you do on the industrial models like the 50PHD8K.

It is hard to say whether the results will be the same between the 42xr4 and 50xr5 unless the two are compared side by side. Do they use the same glass technology and electronics processing? It is a little suspicious that they both don't end in XR5 if they are the same technology and the brochure states a few technical differences between the units. However since NEC makes all there own glass and electronics they probably pretty similar. I guess the best people to answer this question is NEC tech support.
post #76 of 4647
Okay, I have tried to do as comprehensive of a review I could on my new NEC 50XR5. I've tried to hit all of the topics that interested me, or those that have been posed as an interest by others. However, please let me know if I've left out anything that someone would like a review on.

Overview - As a quick overview, here is a list of my equipment for a reference point to what I am reviewing;

-NEC 50XR5
-Harman Kardon AVR 235
-HR10-250 hooked up via HDMI (DirecTV HDTIVO for those that don't know the model number)
-VERY CHEAP Toshiba SD-3890 DVD player hooked up direct with component cables. (I tried all the upconverting ones with my old TV and found the NEC scaler to be superior so I stuck with the old 480i). Plus that was an EDTV and any difference may not have been able to be seen (that's another debate). Maybe someone else can do a test of upconverting players with this panel, but I'm gonna put my money on the NEC scaler for now.
-Gamecube hooked up through my AVR via component cables

Asthetics- I am going to start with the aesthetics of the panel, because this is the first thing that caught my eye when removing this thing from the box. I must say that this is one sexy looking panel, even the wife was impressed. It has a mostly a matte black finish, however it is set off nicely with a subtle silver trim around the entire outside and very nice chrome/silver across the bottom. In my opinion, the best looking commercial plasma out there right now - I'm very pleased with the look in my living room. P.S. - anyone with the space for a 50" and is considering getting a 42"...DON'T, the extra real estate is well worth it!

Calibration - Before I go into my review of different sources, the only calibrations I have done so far are to adjust the contrast and brightness on the HDTIVO using the HDNET test pattern and on the DVD using the AVIA calibration disk. The colors were right on out of the box according to those tests.

Standard Definition - Well, I'm starting the review with the SD pic quality, but this is by far the weakest link of this panel. I am coming from a 42VR5 for which the SD pic quality was very good. That was a 42" EDTV, so I was expecting the SD picture on the 50" HDTV to be much less desirable. So, I powered up the panel and put on FX (usually pretty decent quality for SD) and was pleasantly surprised - just as good as my VR5. "Let me turn to one of my local DirecTV channels I thought to myself" (as these are usually the most compressed channels DTV sends), but wow this looked decent as well - and this time it may have edged my VR5. NEC definitely uses a good scaler in these new panels, as I must say SD on this TV is VERY good for a 50" HD plasma. Of course, I have no reference point to other 50" panels, but I can tell you when I was searching in March for my 42VR5, the only panel I had found with a better scaler was the Fujitsu (and that was a marginal difference at best). Definitely have to give kudos to the panel on this one! I'm gonna put it on par if not better than the Fujitsu here. Stretch modes: This is another one of the advantages I give NEC over any other panel. Stadium stretch on 4:3 material is great. I don't know how they do it, but you really do forget your watching stretched material when using Stadium. Zoom mode on a letterboxed 4:3 channel fills the screen perfectly as well. Lastly, the ability to stretch HD (720p and 1080i) is priceless. There are many shows that I record on HD channels that are broadcast in SD because the picture quality on them is better then the SD channels. Being able to stretch these is priceless to me, I don't think I could have a panel which I couldn't do that on.

Gaming
- I'll have to admit I don't have much to add in this area. I don't have XBOX or PS2, just a measly Gamecube that was given to my son for xmas last year. I have it hooked up with component cables through my Harman Kardon AVR. I popped in Frogger and MarioKart. Not to my surprise, it did very well with the 480i signal here as well. I'm sure feeding this panel 720p or higher games would look exceptional, but again I don't have these systems.

DVD - Again, all that I have is a measly $50 Toshiba player. I've found the best results were feeding the TV a 480i signal. Again, the NEC has a great scaler so I am not surprised it was better then the Toshiba's. Color reproduction and details were exceptional. When viewing animated movies like Incredibles or Madagascar on this panel I was amazed. These movies looked GREAT on my VR5, but that was no surprise at it was the native resolution of the TV, but I think they look just as good if not better on the XR5 (a little more 3 dimensional maybe). Un-animated (probably not even a real word, but what the heck) movies look great as well. Popped in War of the Worlds and Collateral and was impressed by the details in most scenes of Collateral. This is a very dark movie, but the NEC handled it very well, no macroblocking or any other noticeable noise. War of the Worlds looked great too. Scenes like the robots coming out of the ground were awesome and it handled the dark scenes very well in this movie as well. Unfortunately that is all the time I had to review for the DVD's but will try to test some others out when I get more time. Most of my viewing is HD, so I'll move onto that;

HD - Well, unlike the SD not being the weakest part of the panel as the first part of my review, I definitely saved the best for last here. I am just taken back by how well this panel displays details in images on HD material. The only channel I have from DirecTV in HD is HBO (their HD offering is not worth $10.95 in my opinion), so most of my analysis is done from OTA material. There is just something about this panel (and other NEC's for that matter) that seem to just give it an edge in my opinion. When I am watching shows on friends Panasonic's and even Pioneer's sometimes I find myself saying "wow...that is just an awesome picture from a television". However, many times when watching shows on my NEC I find myself so involved in the show and simply lifelike colors/skin tones that I forget I'm even watching a television. I guess with the Panny I can always just see that I am looking at glass with an image behind it, whereas here I just feel like I'm looking at the people. Hard to explain, hopefully that made some sense.

Image Retention - I've not noticed anything significant in this area to be worried about. If something is on the screen for a few minutes and you change to a black screen you see a faint outline of it....but as soon as you change the channel and come back it is gone. I remember my VR5 was like this for the first couple of weeks and now I never get any retention. I think this is been exaggerated as well....I don't think it is really an issue if it goes away with the next screen. Now, if previous models had problems where you could see it over top of new images, then that would be a problem, and I can confirm this has never happened to me.

Overall Pic Quality (Black Level, and Color) - I think most who've seen an NEC can agree that there is nothing left to be desired when it comes to colors and color reproduction. I think that NEC's produce the most lifelike colors and skin tones compared to the Panasonic and Pioneer. Some say Pioneer isn't really lifelike and some say Panny can be a bit too soft, but I really feel that NEC strikes the perfect balance. If possible, I think this panel does even better than the previous models with the color reproduction. When talking to one of the NEC customer service reps a while back I think I recall him saying that they have done some enhancement to the color filter on the glass, and I think it shows, not only with the colors, but with the black level as well. I have tried to evaluate the black levels on this panel as much as possible over the past day, as I know this is a topic that many would like to hear about (a bit overrated in my opinion) but nonetheless very relevant. The absolute black level is definitely improved (at least over my VR5, as I've never seen an XR4). I would definitely put it in the same league as the Panasonic and new Pioneer. I really think you would need to put them side by side to see an absolute black level difference in the panels (but my gut is the Panny would still barely edge it out). However, where I see the advantage, and I see this as a huge advantage, is in the shadow details. To me the Panasonic may have the ability to show an absolute black level that is closer to true black, but you lose many of the details in the picture. To me, I'd rather have a panel with a black level that is 98% as black as the Panasonic, while showing 10% more of the details. I watch a lot of OTA HD, which may be one of the reasons I didn't hinge my whole plasma purchase on an absolute black level, as most of the primetime shows don't have that many dark scenes. However, even with shows like "Lost" (which I had previously recorded) where almost entire episodes are shot in the dark, I did not feel that there were any inadequacies.

Overall I am going to put this panel at the top of the list for those I've seen in person. I think the picture quality/scaling is up to par (if not better) with the Fujitsu and I think the aesthetics are second to none (NEC did a great job here). Two HDMI's, PIP, direct input settings, stretch modes and various other features make this an exceptional panel. They say it is designed for ISF calibration too, but after watching this thing for a day now I can't see it getting much better .....WELL DONE NEC!

Issues - I have to say that I don't have many issues yet. One thing that did annoy me was the fact you need to have an ISF calibration done in order to activate the night and day picture settings. That was really lame on NEC's part in my opinion. They trust the consumer a lot by allowing the myriad of picture setting changes available on the this tv, and then they take that away. Hopefully someone will figure it out in the future.

Disclaimer - Please remember this is only one man's opinion. Please don't base your decision on my eyes, trust your own...I know this is something that is hard to do with the NEC's because there so hard to find in person, but maybe after more people have had a chance to review these new panels, they can confirm what I see. Also, I was basing all of my comparisons off of viewing I have done in peoples homes and in A/V shops, I was not able to do side by side comparisons.

Pictures - will post some when I get a chance to borrow a friend's camera. Chris at Clevelandplasma offered to host them for meso hopefully I can get them to him soon.
post #77 of 4647
Thank you for taking the time for that indepth review. I have narrowed my search b/t the NEC 50xr5 and Panny 508uk. Sounds like you would give the edge to the NEC. I will be interested in the others with NEC have to say in their reviews. Thanks again for taking to time to review this set, especially since NEC's are almost impossible to find in stores.
post #78 of 4647
Anyone have the 42" yet? I'm limited to that size due to a small house and budget. The reviews of the 50" sound great so far, curious to see if the 42" compares.

It is also good to hear you can stretch 720p and 1080i.
post #79 of 4647
You obviously spent a lot of time evaluating and documenting your panel. It sounds like a keeper.

Happy New Year everyone!
post #80 of 4647
Tony17... you da man!

Thanks for:
Being a true pioneer and getting this panel early... before major reviews were written.
Doing a great write-up!

Cheers and a great New Year to you and your new PDP!

shane

PS... and a happy, healthy, and safe New Year to everyone else too.
post #81 of 4647
Quick Reference of Forum Rules
1) Do Not post pricing you found on-line or at a local dealer.
2) Do Not ask for, or offer, a receipt so people can price match.
3) Do Not say to "Call John Smith at ..." (you know what I mean)
4) Do Not put down someone else's choice in their purchase.
5) Do Not start a thread asking for the best TV for $XXXX or I have a $XXXXX to spend
6) Do Not discus where to buy a TV

Then what the hell is this forum good for?!?!?!?
Excitement?!?!?!?
How elated one feels over a TV?!?!?!

This place is ridiculous!

ok, I know I'm missing the point of this forum. let me guess...
it's so that when I purchase a TV at a high price(like that guy from cleveland quoted me) I would learn HOW TO CALIBRATE IT! is that it? am I right?

Yay! yippy! I feel sooooo lucky.

riiiiiight...

Happy new year....
post #82 of 4647
Great job, tony!! Can you comment on the glare/reflectivity or lack thereof?

Thanks!
post #83 of 4647
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavsuser View Post

Quick Reference of Forum Rules
1) Do Not post pricing you found on-line or at a local dealer.
2) Do Not ask for, or offer, a receipt so people can price match.
3) Do Not say to "Call John Smith at ..." (you know what I mean)
4) Do Not put down someone else's choice in their purchase.
5) Do Not start a thread asking for the best TV for $XXXX or I have a $XXXXX to spend
6) Do Not discus where to buy a TV

Then what the hell is this forum good for?!?!?!?
Excitement?!?!?!?
How elated one feels over a TV?!?!?!

This place is ridiculous!

ok, I know I'm missing the point of this forum. let me guess...
it's so that when I purchase a TV at a high price(like that guy from cleveland quoted me) I would learn HOW TO CALIBRATE IT! is that it? am I right?

Yay! yippy! I feel sooooo lucky.

riiiiiight...

Happy new year....

wow...having a bad holiday season?

Obviously, this forum is a good place to find a wealth of information. This forum has been very valuable to my research and I have gone from being totally ignorant about many things to being only mildy ignorant about many things

Your gripes seem to revolve around "pricing" and "where to buy." Although you can't post such info, there's nothing stopping you from sending private messages to people to inquire about such things.

There really isn't much in life that surprises me, but it's hard to believe that someone who's in the market for a TV can't appreciate all of the information that can be found on forums like this.
post #84 of 4647
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM View Post

Also - do we think that the results for the 42xr4 will be similar to those for the 50xr5?

The electronics for the 42" should be the same as the 50" but the glass is different. The 42" uses an improved color filter over the other NEC models as well as other panel technologies to increase brightness and contrast. It looks like the 42XR4 is borrowing technology from Pioneer (ie Bonded filter). Here is a comparison of the specs from the different NEC models.

...............Contrast Ratio..........Brightness (cd/m2)
42XR4..........2100:1.....................1000
50XR5..........1000:1.......................700
61XR4..........1000:1.......................700

http://www.de.nec.de/press.php/id/650/lang/RUS
post #85 of 4647
From the spec sheet, I also noticed that the fan noise for the 42 and 61 is listed at 22db while the 50 is listed at 20 db. The native resolution for the 42 is XGA 1024x768 while the native resolution for both the 50 and 61 is WXGA 1365x768.

I am not savvy enough to know if the latter will make a big difference in picture quality. Does the improved color filter that Hoodlum pointed out mean that the picture on the 42 will at least be as good as the 50 or worse?
post #86 of 4647
Quote:


wow...having a bad holiday season?

Obviously, this forum is a good place to find a wealth of information. This forum has been very valuable to my research and I have gone from being totally ignorant about many things to being only mildy ignorant about many things

Your gripes seem to revolve around "pricing" and "where to buy." Although you can't post such info, there's nothing stopping you from sending private messages to people to inquire about such things.

There really isn't much in life that surprises me, but it's hard to believe that someone who's in the market for a TV can't appreciate all of the information that can be found on forums like this.

Hi GamerGuy,
of course theres information here, and of course I didn't explain myself thoroughly...I was ranting.
Can you believe that?

Sorry guys, for a moment this place did not make sense to me - the no pricing policy.
Tried earlier to find out why the no posting prices policy but couldn't find anything.
No pricing on a forum may make sense to all of you...but to me, well... sorry, but I'm ignorant on that topic.

Does anyone know of a forum that does?
Thanks.
And happy new year.
post #87 of 4647
Please quit asking for forums that allow for price talk, and use yahoo/google. There is no expectation that AVS will allow for other forum advertising. Which is what listing sites would be.

Also, I don't expect you to understand, or relate to AVS rules quite yet. It took me awhile too. If you'll spend some real, quality time here, I think you'll come around to understanding why things are the way they are.

Welcome to AVS, and Happy New Year to you as well.
post #88 of 4647
1000:1 contrast ratio doesn't seem very good to me, at all...at least on paper. For a plasma, I expect at least 2000:1 or 3000:1. What gives here?
post #89 of 4647
Well, I've been "working" hard all day.

I found that 1:1 mapping was a snap. I was making it too hard. Here are the timings (obtained from NEC secondhand) via Lumagen VisionHDP through HDMI:

VTOT 788 HTOT 1526
VACT 768 HACT 1365
VSYN 4 HSYN 50
VFRN 4 HFRN 51

V freq. 60.00 Hz
H freq. 47.20 Hz

Make sure RGB select in setup menu is set to "auto"
Disable orbiting in PDP saver menu
Set image adjust values all to zero.
That's it. Double check signal info in the menu and it should read 1365 x 768 and memory 18.

V-line and H-line patterns via the Lumagen test patterns are perfect one-pixel rows.

I went through AVIA as well as well as THX optimizer and ended up with the following (best for now) for black and white:

HDMI high
Gamma 2.2
Pedestal 0.00
Pic mode normal
Contrast 50
Brt 34

I set up everything for Video 7.5 IRE and it kept crushing black and forced me to range brightness all the way up. I ended up putting pedestal back to zero as it allows the adjustment of brightness to be in the middle of the range which I feel is probably more linear. All inputs are via DVI at 7.5 IRE.

Right now I'm saying the black level is on par with my TH-50PX50U set to "cinema" which turns off the floating black level. If you float the black on the Panny, the absolute levels are still better.

For color, I ended up leaving everything at default for hue and just above default for saturation through the Lumagen HDP. Going by AVIA color bars strictly, it seemed to end up over-saturated. Mid-low temperature seems to look the best to me.

I've not dared to adjust individual red, green, blue values. I left them at default for now.

The 50XR5's a keeper for sure.
post #90 of 4647
Quote:
Originally Posted by essogas View Post

1000:1 contrast ratio doesn't seem very good to me, at all...at least on paper. For a plasma, I expect at least 2000:1 or 3000:1. What gives here?

1000:1 is an excellent contrast ratio if it's accurately measured. Most here would agree than even the highly-respected 8th gen Pannys do not come close to the advertised 3000:1 contrast ratio. My guess (and hope) is that NEC is conservative in its numbers similar to how H/K is with their wattage figures on receivers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › NEC new plasma thread!!! - 42xr4, 50xr5, 61xr4