or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Mirage Speakers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mirage Speakers - Page 12

post #331 of 6689
My 350, 150, C150 set came in this morning.
I have them placed but not hooked up because the 350s won't accept bananas.
I think the 350s are the righht size. They are signicantly smaller than the M3s and
the 550s would have been too large since I am trying to deemphasize my system..
Here are some pics to show the amazing size difference:

Excuse the mess in the 1st pic, we had just drywalled the room and where putting it back together.
LL
LL
LL
post #332 of 6689
Is their any mirage center that would go with my old pair of om10's.They sound killer.I am using a nice polk center now.Since Mirage does not make the om10 any more and they are 9 years old,Does it even really matter.THANKS
post #333 of 6689
Look for a used Mirage OMC2 ... perfect match (I have the OM9s with the OMC2). Not the OMC3 as it is direct radiating. They discontinued these about 1 year ago when they discontinued the whole OM line.

Every once in a while one comes up on Audiogon, typically it's snapped up very quickly.

See this review of the speaker when it first came out ...

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...erspeaker.html
post #334 of 6689
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Look for a used Mirage OMC2 ... perfect match (I have the OM9s with the OMC2). Not the OMC3 as it is direct radiating.

For most people a direct radiating center is exactly what they need. The OMC2 needs lots of air around it. If you do have space to give it, then great.

Both come up on eBay and agon every now and then. The OMC3 is a nice speaker, under $200 usually. The OMC2 is by all accounts a powerhouse.

Anyway, anyone who has a Mirage speaker and wants to see what speakers were part of the original line should just look at this page on the old site:
http://miragespeakers.com/manuals.shtml

If you look at the OM10 brochure, page 5, for description of both the OMC2 and the OMC3 centers as timbre matched. Specs on page 6. As you can see from the drawings of the OMC2, there are drivers on both the front and the rear.

http://miragespeakers.com/PDFs/class...10brochure.pdf
post #335 of 6689
True, but personally I found the OMC3 to be a bit "boxy". I actually had that speaker before upgrading to the OMC2 (when I also upgraded from my trusty old Mirage FRX7s to the OM9s). You are right, it does do "best" with open air around it.
post #336 of 6689
The right choice depends on the placement and the room size, as always.
post #337 of 6689
Thanks Guys I will keep a eye out for a omc2.
post #338 of 6689
Another vote for the Om-C2. It is an excellent center speaker. I have had the Mirage Omni CC, the Rocket Bigfoot, Ascend CMT-340 SE and wharfedale diamond center. I like the OM-C2 by a wide margin. Give it enough room to breath though.
post #339 of 6689
I've been shopping for a set of speakers for awhile and am just about ready to jump on the Omni 350, 150, C150, S8 pkg (along w/an Onkyo 705). I want to mount the 150s on the walls but can't find the macromounts anywhere. Struck out at the two closest Magnolias. Who sells them?
post #340 of 6689
Have you tried crutchfield's and vann's for the mounts?

i got the same thing you are considering without the sub for $560.

I am going to post a mini review as soon as I have the time.

So far the 350s have a tad more bass than I am used to, somewhat overripe, but not boomy.
They seem to have pretty good detail, but are lacking some air and extension.
I think that they may have more detail in some respects than my $2500
M3s and 350s only cost $300!!
post #341 of 6689
Neither of them had the mounts either but I've got a lead.

Thanks, looking forward to the mini review. Haven't found them in a showroom yet so I'll be buying blind if I do.
post #342 of 6689
Very interesting. Just heard from the horse's mouth (my Mirage rep) that the Omni series has been discontinued and there are none left in stock. Have e-mailed him back about a replacement series but no response yet. Will post something if any information is leaked. Thought you guys might like to know.
post #343 of 6689
Hi TDI.
Question for you about the OMD 15's. Are you still enthusiastic about them?
As I've posted in the past, I have a pair of M760's that I'm considering replacing.
I'll be using them with a Mirage S12 sub. I'm currently using an Omnisat v2 CC which does surprisingly well with the 760's. However, I'm also considering a different CC. Only thing holding me back at the moment is the height of CC's that I've been looking at. The Omnisat v2 is just the perfect height in that, when placed in front of the tv on the credenza style a/v cabinet I have, it doesn't block the bottom of the tv screen (a Sony 46XBR4), and I'd rather not raise the tv any higher if I can help it.
Any nagging, recurring issues with the 15's? I'd be using them for both HT and music, about 60/40 HT/music.
I'm also still trying to decide on speakers for side and rear surrounds. The best option for me is in-ceilings. Any experience/thoughts on the Omnican 6?
Do you ship out of state (I'm in S.C.)?
Thanks.

Jack
post #344 of 6689
TDI Driver,

I assumed that Mirage was up to something when I saw
the Omnis for sale at crutchfield and vann's for 50% off!
I wonder how independent B&M guys can compete with that?
Doubtful.
I am enjoying the Omni 350s but don't feel that they are $600 speakers.
They are probably worth less than $400 when compared to ID offerings.
And they are a hell of a deal at $300.
post #345 of 6689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksmyname View Post

Hi TDI.
Question for you about the OMD 15's. Are you still enthusiastic about them?
As I've posted in the past, I have a pair of M760's that I'm considering replacing.
I'll be using them with a Mirage S12 sub. I'm currently using an Omnisat v2 CC which does surprisingly well with the 760's. However, I'm also considering a different CC. Only thing holding me back at the moment is the height of CC's that I've been looking at. The Omnisat v2 is just the perfect height in that, when placed in front of the tv on the credenza style a/v cabinet I have, it doesn't block the bottom of the tv screen (a Sony 46XBR4), and I'd rather not raise the tv any higher if I can help it.
Any nagging, recurring issues with the 15's? I'd be using them for both HT and music, about 60/40 HT/music.
I'm also still trying to decide on speakers for side and rear surrounds. The best option for me is in-ceilings. Any experience/thoughts on the Omnican 6?
Do you ship out of state (I'm in S.C.)?
Thanks.

Jack

Hi Jack,

To be honest, I've only had limited experience with the 15's. Had a pair on audition from my rep for almost a month. While they were a very nice set of speakers, good dynamics, clear and detailed, we ultimately decided not to bring them in only due to price point. Our market here is very ecomnomically challenged and as a result looking for bang/boom/sizzle-for-the-buck. With this, we have a better chance of selling a pair of Klipsch RF-83's, at the same price point, over the OMD-15's any day of the week due to the size and overall output difference and less to do with sound. We proved this years ago when we sold B&W next to Mirage. Over a period of five years displaying Nautilus, I sold three pairs of 804's (a small footprint tower like the OMD-15's). Meanwhile, I could sell three pairs of OM-5's, at the same price point, in 6 months. The Omnican 6 is a nice speaker that practically disappears in a room. We've used them in mostly commercial installations where coverage in a large area is key. As for your last question regarding your location, feel free to send me a PM.

Best,
Jason (TDI)
post #346 of 6689
Thanks Jason.
post #347 of 6689
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post

TDI Driver,

I assumed that Mirage was up to something when I saw
the Omnis for sale at crutchfield and vann's for 50% off!
I wonder how independent B&M guys can compete with that?
Doubtful.
I am enjoying the Omni 350s but don't feel that they are $600 speakers.
They are probably worth the less than $400 when compared to ID offerings.
And they are a hell of a deal at $300.

b4z,

Funny when the promo at V & C started mid-summer, there was no indication at all that the line was being discontinued (I even inquired about that possibility). Now all of the sudden that is a different story. Yes, there was no way for us to compete with that deal, and in fact I haven't sold a pair since it began, but now that they are discontinued, it forces us to match the price just to get out from under what's in stock. At those prices, we actually would not be making a dime. I guess now that they have officially been tagged as "discontinued" I can sell them to anyone so I'm taking orders.

Happy listening,
TDI
post #348 of 6689
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post

Have you tried crutchfield's and vann's for the mounts?

i got the same thing you are considering without the sub for $560.

I am going to post a mini review as soon as I have the time.

So far the 350s have a tad more bass than I am used to, somewhat overripe, but not boomy.
They seem to have pretty good detail, but are lacking some air and extension.
I think that they may have more detail in some respects than my $2500
M3s and 350s only cost $300!!

b4z, I am thinking of going with the Omni's on sale. From your experience so far with them do you think they would fit my needs? I am after a clean, neutral, revealing but full sound with a good 3D soundstage and non-fatiguing highs for 2 channel music especially and good HT performance overall (probably add an HSU or S8 sub for HT if needed). Thanks for any insight.
post #349 of 6689
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post

Have you tried crutchfield's and vann's for the mounts?

i got the same thing you are considering without the sub for $560.

I am going to post a mini review as soon as I have the time.

So far the 350s have a tad more bass than I am used to, somewhat overripe, but not boomy.
They seem to have pretty good detail, but are lacking some air and extension.
I think that they may have more detail in some respects than my $2500
M3s and 350s only cost $300!!

What are your thoughts on the C150 center and the 150's? Im really tempted to skip going with 350 or 550's for the fronts, and use 150's for my front and rears with a C150 center and a HSU sub... Since you have some experience with the Omni series, what are your thoughts?

cheers
.josh.
post #350 of 6689
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post

My 350, 150, C150 set came in this morning.
I have them placed but not hooked up because the 350s won't accept bananas.
I think the 350s are the righht size. They are signicantly smaller than the M3s and
the 550s would have been too large since I am trying to deemphasize my system..
Here are some pics to show the amazing size difference:

Excuse the mess in the 1st pic, we had just drywalled the room and where putting it back together.

The 350s do accept bananas. You have to unscrew and remove the small black or red plastic things that are in the hole where the clip would go. I thought the same thing until I found out to remove the plastic.

I've had my 350s for fronts, 150s on the sides and the C150 for a center running for about two weeks now with my new Harman Kardon receiver and it sounds great. I haven't optimized the sound at all because of the recommended 100 hour break in period, but I can't wait. These speakers were definitely the right choice for me. I'm sitting here listening to Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" and it's never sounded better....at least not until I get a chance to optimize.
post #351 of 6689
Thinking of getting the OmniCan's (5 or 6) for my surrounds in basment HT. Any comments or experience with these? Thx.
post #352 of 6689
ersatz,

Thanks, I suspected that those things would pop out but was in a hurry and didn't investigate.

Mine are starting to sound more focused as the hours go by. I have about 20-25 hrs on thm now.
post #353 of 6689
efjay and joshish,

I was out of town yesterday so didn't get to your questions.

350s are a buy at $300. pr.
I am enjoying these speakers and they are not fatiguing in the least.
The 2 areas where I could see some improvement are in the treble and there is still a little overripe or slightly boosted feeling to the bass.
These speakers don't need a sub cause they go pretty low but I may buy a sub to take the bass away from the 350s and let the sub do the job.
I did put the plugs in the 2 ports at the rear of the speakers but the bass went away. So I took them out.
The spikes are mandatory.
My speakers fronts are 2' from the wall, i think if i could move them to 3' away some of this extra bass would go away.
I am still amazed out how much 2 5.5" woofers can put out.
These speakers really fill the room with sound and I am a fan of the omnidirectional sound.
The 350s have a great soundstage by themselves, and with the C150 and the 150s it has an incredible soundfield. Very uniform.
There is a good bit of detail w/ these inexpensive speakers. I don't hear the last bit of extension but you hear the sticking on the hi hats and cymbals and they can show the spread of a ride cymbal.
rimshots are not quite as dramatic. There is part on Sting's All this time DVD where Manu' Katche' does a rimshot and pulls his drumstick off the drum so that it will ring out.
They don't ring like my Mirage M3s did on this part.
On this DVD Sting can be sibilent at times and they take the edge off of this.
i suspect some dulling of the transients and they may be rollling off in the 15KHz range.
Also brushwork doesn't come through as clearly.
Voices and acoustic guitar are represented very very well. Fantastic on Keb Mo's acoustic guitar.
I really like the presentation of this speakers, I could listen to them for days and not get tired. They don't do anything that annoys me, other than some errors of omission I just mentioned.
they also do rock very well. Listened to Back in Black-sounded terrific.
I would recommend that anyone try them out and ship them back if they don't fit your needs.
However, if you do like a speaker that has a lot of energy in the treble region these are probably not for you.
post #354 of 6689
joshish,

that would probably work pretty well.
With the plugs out of the ports on the 150s they will go down to 55Hz, so you should get good integration with the sub. And save $150.
I listened to James Taylor's "Gaia" on SACD in surround this morning, and the 150s, acting as surrounds handled the loud toms very well 3:10 into the song.
post #355 of 6689
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post

joshish,

that would probably work pretty well.
With the plugs out of the ports on the 150s they will go down to 55Hz, so you should get good integration with the sub. And save $150.
I listened to James Taylor's "Gaia" on SACD in surround this morning, and the 150s, acting as surrounds handled the loud toms very well 3:10 into the song.

After reading through this thread, I was thinking of buying 4 150s and the center for my new HT (5.1). Given that I don't listen to much music, I was thinking this might work out better for me since I can mount all the speakers to the wall and not have to worry about my 11 month old climbling the 350/550s in front.

Any reason I should reconsider and go for the 350s or 550s in front instead. The extra couple hundred dollars is not really an issue. Also, I assume I need to buy a sub with either setup, but if anyone has any comments on that, I would be glad to hear them.

Thanks.
post #356 of 6689
b4z thanks for the response, sounds like a good fit for my needs.
post #357 of 6689
dgaies,

The 350s are pretty narrow and don't have much footprint, especially with the spikes.
They would be easily knocked over.

The 550s are 3" wider and heavier so they are probably more stable.



The 150s should work well as your left, right, left surround, right surround.
post #358 of 6689
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post

joshish,

that would probably work pretty well.
With the plugs out of the ports on the 150s they will go down to 55Hz, so you should get good integration with the sub. And save $150.
I listened to James Taylor's "Gaia" on SACD in surround this morning, and the 150s, acting as surrounds handled the loud toms very well 3:10 into the song.

b4z,

Thanks for your insight, you've been more then helpful. After considering my space issues, and reading your reviews, I am leaning toward a 350, C150, 150 setup. I talked with my girlfriend and she doesn't mind the 350's footprint or overall size, so it seems the way to go. I'm going to sleep on it tonight, and tomorrow at lunch make the call.

Thanks again,
.josh.
post #359 of 6689
joshish,

i looked at both the 350 and 550 and the normal reaction would be for me to go with the larger speaker because of bass, etc.(only $100 more)
But as I thought about it I felt that a 5.5" speaker would have a better midrange than a 6.5" speaker. And knowing that Mirages have traditionally had a slightly recessed midrange and are more to the warm, lush side of voicing, it made me go with the 350.
I think I chose correctly.
Because in my opinion vocals are better on these speakers than the $2500 M3s.

Form factor:
Everybody who has seen them loves the size.

lastly, they do justice to both male and female voices.
From Norah Jones to Keb' Mo'.
It is something you notice the second they come on.
post #360 of 6689
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post

dgaies,

The 350s are pretty narrow and don't have much footprint, especially with the spikes.
They would be easily knocked over.

The 550s are 3" wider and heavier so they are probably more stable.



The 150s should work well as your left, right, left surround, right surround.


If I didn't mind drilling a couple holes in the speakers themselves, do you think it would be ok to secure the towers to the wall with brackets, provided they were long enough to keep enough distance between the rear ports and the back wall?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Mirage Speakers