or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Mirage Speakers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mirage Speakers - Page 220

post #6571 of 6689
Hello all,

I have the OMD-5's and am using them as my surrounds (5.1) I use and Emotiva XPA-5 to power my LCR speakers. I am left with 2 extra channels. Would I be ok to run the mirages off this amp also? I recently sold my AVR and have gone to a pre/pro so I no longer have the ability to power them off of an AVR.

Thanks,

Bill
post #6572 of 6689

I have never heard of Mirage Speakers until today.

 

Here is my sad adventure.

 

I found Mirage OMNI350 towers at an audio video store in Toronto, Ontario  (2001 Audio Video)

I listened to them and really liked the way they sounded. Leaving the store very excited, I went home to do some more research.

 

It seems these speakers were made in the mid 2000's and cost around $800. Since then it seem they have been discontinued and sold off for cheap. ($150/pair)

 

I assume the place I went to today bought them for super cheap and just put them on display for their original price back in 2008. The guy either knew nothing about them or was lying to me. He said they just started to sell in Canada. 

 

http://www.2001audiovideo.com/en/catalog/product/40579-Mirage-OMNI-350?searchterm=mirage

post #6573 of 6689
But you're missing the point. The name of the shop is 2001audio. And for 2001, these would be from the future.

If you liked the sound, you might see if you can find Mirage OS3 FS or OMD-15, or even OS3 satellites or OMD-5 satellites.
post #6574 of 6689
Anyone have OMD-5's they want to sell? Color is not important.
post #6575 of 6689
Just want to share with those who are looking for Mirage center speaker that OS3-CC is available on Amazon (U.S.). smile.gif
post #6576 of 6689
I sold my Mirage MM-8 to someone on craig's list the other day. It had always worked great for me, and never an issue. Good a new, and I'd say a 9/10 on the audiogon scale. Anywho, he send me this message later that night:

"I got home and hooked it up with an extra rca cable I had, and I don't know why, but it will only turn on and thump when I physically lean it forward! It's really weird, but when I put it back on level ground it like "clips out" and shuts itself off.... I don't get it... I tried both pre outs on the receiver, and it did it with both, also tried a different wall outlet... ever do that for you?"

Has anyone ever heard of this happening before with a subwoofer? He has a Yamaha receiver, and I'm not sure on the model. Suggestions???

I suggested to him so far:
Run the room correction software on Yamaha yet with the sub hooked up?

Adjust the crossover knob if the crossover to the sub is not set in your Yamaha (set the knob to about 80hz).

Adjust the phase knob until you get the sound you want. That can change a bit from room to room.

Maybe start with the volume knob on the sub on the low side. If the sub is turning off, usually trying to protect itself. Try a difference circuit in the house (like upstairs instead of downstairs)?

It the sub sitting on carpet? It shouldn't matter, but if it is, maybe try putting it on some larger washers that Gould hold it above the carpet.

Anything I might have missed?
post #6577 of 6689
Hi everyone, I've started to put up my omd-5's, was going to use the banana plugs I had but won't work due to space since I'm mounting on wall. I read you can install bare wire, question is how do you do it? Do you unscrew plug and just wrap bare wire around the ring?

Sorry I'm a real novice at this stuff.

Thks for the help.
post #6578 of 6689
Hey Guys.

I just purchased an Omni S10 brand new out of the box to replace an older FRx S10. When I got it home I transferred the RCA cable from old to new, then unplugged the old and plugged in the new. I didn't take the RCA cable from my receiver at any time, and the power source is the same plug. My problem is that the new Omni won't work. The green light is on, and there is only one place on the sub to connect the RCA cable. The volume and frequency cut off controls are set at half way.

I ran YPAO on my Yamaha, and the receiver will not detect the Sub. When I switch the cable/power to the old sub, it works fine. Yikes! I may have bought the only bad speaker in the store. it goes back on Friday if I can't get it going in the meantime.

I can see absolutely no reason for this thing not to make some noise.

Is there some magic way to give this thing a jump start? Any ideas would be appreciated.
post #6579 of 6689
Does the power light come on?
post #6580 of 6689
Yes it does. When I select "on" or "auto".

Not knowing much about speakers, I thought that there may be a master switch somewhere, but I have racked my brain to come up with an answer. I can see absolutely no reason for it not to work unless I just have a bad speaker. Makes me wonder if getting a replacement would be risky.
post #6581 of 6689
Turned out to be a bad driver. Visions replaced the speaker with no hassle at all.

Man, this sub gives a whole new perspective on sound from whatever source. Movies are great, and music has a whole new dimension. I was sceptical that a sub could make a big difference in sound when used with my RC-70's, but now that I have it, I wonder why I didn't buy it earlier.

The Omni S-10 is a huge improvement over the older FRx-S-10 that I had previously.
post #6582 of 6689
Im looking for a replacement tweeter for a Mirage Omd C1. The tweeter has been pressed it, still works fine. I'm just looking to eventually sell my OMD 5.0 and want everything in perfect condition. I've contact ed mirage but they haven't responded to my emails and there phone number no longer works. Do any of you know where I could find a replacement tweeter.
post #6583 of 6689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey Wagner View Post

Im looking for a replacement tweeter for a Mirage Omd C1. The tweeter has been pressed it, still works fine. I'm just looking to eventually sell my OMD 5.0 and want everything in perfect condition. I've contact ed mirage but they haven't responded to my emails and there phone number no longer works. Do any of you know where I could find a replacement tweeter.


Cal Klipsch 1-800-554-7724 ask for parts dept. they will let you know price and availability. A few weeks ago I picked up some extra replacement parts including tweeters and drivers for OMD 5's 15's C2 and 28's but some parts were running low.
post #6584 of 6689
Thank you!
post #6585 of 6689
Hi everyone,

I am excited to see a Mirage speaker owners forum here!

After wanting an omnipolar setup for years, I was finally able to find some and I just purchased the OS3-FS speakers and the OS3-CC. Any recommendations as to setup, subwoofer selection etc. I have an open concept living room, kitchen, dining room area (it's a condo) with the area being about 17 x 22 feet, and 9FT ceilings (if that makes a difference. I also have a 106" motorized screen wirelessly connected to a Benq W7000.

I am thinking of placing the omnisats on stands for the rears. I'm going to forego having a 7.1 system in favour of a 5.1 to minimize wires, stands and clutter in the space. I am upgrading from a YSP 5100 BL setup (soundbar and subwoofer). Any insights, recommendations, where to buy other mirage gear etc would be greatly appreciated.

Niko
post #6586 of 6689
Quote:
I am thinking of placing the omnisats on stands for the rears. I'm going to forego having a 7.1 system in favour of a 5.1 to minimize wires, stands and clutter in the space. I am upgrading from a YSP 5100 BL setup (soundbar and subwoofer). Any insights, recommendations, where to buy other mirage gear etc would be greatly appreciated.

Stands would be a good option. I've got a pair of Omnisat V2 speakers on stands in my dining room, with a pair of Omnisat V2 FS tower speakers. They have been providing excellent music for our dinner parties for the last 5 or 6 years. Threw a little Klipsch sub in the room for a bit of bass.

I like my Mirage speakers - the perfect unobtrusive speaker system. smile.gif
post #6587 of 6689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

... I've got a pair of Omnisat V2 speakers on stands in my dining room, with a pair of Omnisat V2 FS tower speakers. They have been providing excellent music for our dinner parties for the last 5 or 6 years. Threw a little Klipsch sub in the room for a bit of bass...)

Very cool.
post #6588 of 6689
If you can do it, IMO the best way to mount the surrounds is upside down and on or near the ceiling. That way it fires at the listener, instead of the ceiling as stand mounted Omnisats do.
post #6589 of 6689
Thanks for the advice guys. So now I have a pair of OS3 FS towers as front speakers, an OS3 Center Channel, 2 omnisat surrounds and just got the Omni S-10 subwoofer.

Was wondering how flexible the placement of the subwoofer can be as well as it's ideal location. I currently have it on the right, behind the right front speaker. It is against the wall and kind of sandwiched in between my component rack and a protruding wall which houses the AC (I'm in a condo).

As the wall leads to the bedrooms and am concerned about my neighbour downstairs, I was wondering if I could move it to the other end of the room where there is a window. I am also a corner unit with windows on 2 sides.

Any thoughts?
post #6590 of 6689

Hi guys, after six months I have finally finished putting together my first home theater. By that I mean this is the first time I've actually spent the time, money and effort to build a totally timbre matched system (minus the subs) and I couldn't be happier. I know this gear isn't the highest end but I just bought my first house (Please ignore the crap room it's in, this is the basement of my parents 50 year old home and the padding on the walls are to stop the walls from shaking from my subwoofers) and I can't wait to hear this stuff in a properly setup HT room. The specs are

1) Pioneer 1123k (Being replaced with a Pioneer SC1522k on Wednesday so it's for sale)

2) Two Dayton Audio APA150 power amplifiers in monoblock mode at 150 watts for each main speaker

3) Mains - Mirage Omni 260

4) Center - Mirage Omni 60 ( I have the CC I just don't care for the way it sounds)

5) Side Surrounds - Mirage Omni 60

6) Rear Surrounds - Mirage Omni FX

7) Front Height - Mirage Nanosat Prestige (Soon to be another pair of FX's if I can EVER find them)

8) Subwoofers - Two Energy 10.3 10" subwoofers 200 watts RMS 800 watt Peak

9) UNI Voltage Stabilizer and Belkin Power Center 

10) Knu Konceptz Kurb Kable 12 AWG speaker wire terminated in GLS Banana plugs

11) Acoustic Research shielded and balanced subwoofer cable with locking pins and Y Adapter with locking pins

 

One thing I have to say, is all these Mirage speakers say "Manufactured and engineered in Canada", I was using an OS3-FS tower as a center channel for a little bit (Also for sale along with a pair of Nanosats), and it was Engineered in Canada but Made in China and there's a HUGE difference in quality. These Mirage speakers are all MDF while the OS3-FS is some kind of metal plastic junk or something.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #6591 of 6689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko2911 View Post

Thanks for the advice guys. So now I have a pair of OS3 FS towers as front speakers, an OS3 Center Channel, 2 omnisat surrounds and just got the Omni S-10 subwoofer.

Was wondering how flexible the placement of the subwoofer can be as well as it's ideal location. I currently have it on the right, behind the right front speaker. It is against the wall and kind of sandwiched in between my component rack and a protruding wall which houses the AC (I'm in a condo).

As the wall leads to the bedrooms and am concerned about my neighbour downstairs, I was wondering if I could move it to the other end of the room where there is a window. I am also a corner unit with windows on 2 sides.

Any thoughts?
You do have some flexibility in where you put the sub. You really need to try it out and see.

Google subwoofer crawl for one way to do it. Or just try it in different spots.
post #6592 of 6689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda House View Post

Hi guys, after six months I have finally finished putting together my first home theater. By that I mean this is the first time I've actually spent the time, money and effort to build a totally timbre matched system (minus the subs) and I couldn't be happier. I know this gear isn't the highest end but I just bought my first house (Please ignore the crap room it's in, this is the basement of my parents 50 year old home and the padding on the walls are to stop the walls from shaking from my subwoofers) and I can't wait to hear this stuff in a properly setup HT room. The specs are
1) Pioneer 1123k (Being replaced with a Pioneer SC1522k on Wednesday so it's for sale)
2) Two Dayton Audio APA150 power amplifiers in monoblock mode at 150 watts for each main speaker
3) Mains - Mirage Omni 260
4) Center - Mirage Omni 60 ( I have the CC I just don't care for the way it sounds)
5) Side Surrounds - Mirage Omni 60
6) Rear Surrounds - Mirage Omni FX
7) Front Height - Mirage Nanosat Prestige (Soon to be another pair of FX's if I can EVER find them)
8) Subwoofers - Two Energy 10.3 10" subwoofers 200 watts RMS 800 watt Peak
9) UNI Voltage Stabilizer and Belkin Power Center 
10) Knu Konceptz Kurb Kable 12 AWG speaker wire terminated in GLS Banana plugs
11) Acoustic Research shielded and balanced subwoofer cable with locking pins and Y Adapter with locking pins

One thing I have to say, is all these Mirage speakers say "Manufactured and engineered in Canada", I was using an OS3-FS tower as a center channel for a little bit (Also for sale along with a pair of Nanosats), and it was Engineered in Canada but Made in China and there's a HUGE difference in quality. These Mirage speakers are all MDF while the OS3-FS is some kind of metal plastic junk or something.
Nice, you must be able to get a good home theater impact with that.

The OS series speakers are lifestyle speakers, they're optimizing for more than just sound. They work well for a lot of people, and provide a different option for different people and rooms. And they seem much better than the new stuff Klipsch is putting out under the Jamo brand.
post #6593 of 6689
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

I'm not saying they won't sound better, but there's no way those go down to 70 Hz. I have the larger OMD-5s, and they can barely play down to 80 Hz (despite a spec of 60 Hz). You simply can't get much low-end extension out of a small sealed enclosure with a small driver. The laws of physics won't allow it. biggrin.gif

Interesting, I've recently been very impressed with the bass output of the OMD-15's. This happened after we moved and I recalibrated everything. I went without my sub for a few days and had the L&R set to full band. I was pretty impressed with several scenes that had deep low bass. That said, I didn't measure anything. Might be optimal placement for bass. Now the OMD-5's are a different story. Absolutely must have a dedicated sub if you are running just those.
post #6594 of 6689
Just a heads up, Woot has a pretty nice price on the OMD-28's in rosewood or black. $1905 for a pair, shipped!

http://sellout.woot.com/offers/mirage-omd-28-floorstanding-speaker-5

I bought a pair for our great room, mostly just for background listening. I'm more of a high efficiency speaker kind of guy, but we don't want huge, ugly speakers in this space - they need to be nice furniture first and foremost. Good sound will be a bonus. wink.gif

If they don't work out, I figure I can probably get my money back on ebay or craig's list.

Anyone else rocking these speakers?
post #6595 of 6689
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve71 View Post

Just a heads up, Woot has a pretty nice price on the OMD-28's in rosewood or black. $1905 for a pair, shipped!

http://sellout.woot.com/offers/mirage-omd-28-floorstanding-speaker-5

I bought a pair for our great room, mostly just for background listening. I'm more of a high efficiency speaker kind of guy, but we don't want huge, ugly speakers in this space - they need to be nice furniture first and foremost. Good sound will be a bonus. wink.gif

If they don't work out, I figure I can probably get my money back on ebay or craig's list.

Anyone else rocking these speakers?

Congratulations on your purchase of the 28's.
The Mirage OMD 28's are the flagship speakers of the OMD series and you should be very pleased with your purchase at such a great price. smile.gif
post #6596 of 6689
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve71 View Post

Just a heads up, Woot has a pretty nice price on the OMD-28's in rosewood or black. $1905 for a pair, shipped!

http://sellout.woot.com/offers/mirage-omd-28-floorstanding-speaker-5

I bought a pair for our great room, mostly just for background listening. I'm more of a high efficiency speaker kind of guy, but we don't want huge, ugly speakers in this space - they need to be nice furniture first and foremost. Good sound will be a bonus. wink.gif

If they don't work out, I figure I can probably get my money back on ebay or craig's list.

Anyone else rocking these speakers?

So very tempting!!!
post #6597 of 6689
I purchased a pair of Black OMD-28s from Woot two weeks ago. It's amazing how much better they sound after the 100 hour break-in.

I got black for the home theater, figuring they'd blend in better, but those rosewoods sure look nice.
post #6598 of 6689
Yes these 28's are VERY tempting. I have the 15's now, but really like the dominate look of the 28's and have heard the bass output can be pretty intense with proper power.
post #6599 of 6689
Good to hear some others got in on the deal!

I have my reservations about how these are going to work in my house. The room is humungous... lots of hard surfaces, but with natural diffusion. Almost no parallel surfaces and even the walls diffuse the sound, being logs. I guess time will tell.
post #6600 of 6689
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZYKAT View Post

Congratulations on your purchase of the 28's.
The Mirage OMD 28's are the flagship speakers of the OMD series and you should be very pleased with your purchase at such a great price. smile.gif

Thanks Mr Kat! Your HT looks pretty sweet with that wall of sound. Is that a Middle Atlantic rack?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Mirage Speakers