or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Definitive Owners Thread - Page 502

post #15031 of 30939
Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

makes me think they are dumping the whole bp line soon

Geez....I didn't even think of that??? Do you think they would whittle down to all-Mythos?
post #15032 of 30939
OT

if anyone wants to check out a cool animated Christmas movie with some pretty good bass and surround effects, Polar Express would be just right for this time of the year

nice Christmasy family movie

post #15033 of 30939
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Geez....I didn't even think of that??? Do you think they would whittle down to all-Mythos?

i've been worried about that for a while now

the bp line gets "2nd billing" at the website and not much advertising in the mags anymore
post #15034 of 30939
Well, I'd imagine with the BP line being so long in the tooth that they have a ton of stuff "laying around". When you've shipped tens of thousands of loudspeakers worldwide, you're gonna have a lot of leftovers.

Heck, a ton of their offerings are for out of production models.

Don't count me out of constructing another Trinity from the ground up!

James
post #15035 of 30939
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Well, I'd imagine with the BP line being so long in the tooth that they have a ton of stuff "laying around". When you've shipped tens of thousands of loudspeakers worldwide, you're gonna have a lot of leftovers.

Heck, a ton of their offerings are for out of production models.

Don't count me out of constructing another Trinity from the ground up!

James

dual trinitys would definitely rock

i was thinking about "building" a pair of BPVX's

i emailed the seller for a price list about a month ago. he must be very busy or forgot
post #15036 of 30939
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Well, I'd imagine with the BP line being so long in the tooth that they have a ton of stuff "laying around". When you've shipped tens of thousands of loudspeakers worldwide, you're gonna have a lot of leftovers.

Heck, a ton of their offerings are for out of production models.

Don't count me out of constructing another Trinity from the ground up!

James

See, that's what I was thinking, too. (hoping?) Since the speakers are made in China, spare parts that pile up here in the States aren't good for much but junking or selling. They can't really be put back into the production line.

But the fact that it's all BP and little Mythos does seem odd......
post #15037 of 30939
Personally, I'd be very surprised to see them eliminate them (BP's) completely. Hell, they're really the company's "small block 350".

Perhaps a trimmed-down 4-5 model line?

They really do not need the BP6, 8 ,10, 7000, 7001 (already gone) ,7002, 7004, and 7006.

That's EIGHT bi-polar towers. Of course in addition to the half dozen in the Mythos line.

The above BP's could easily be consolidated into 4, maybe 5 offerings. Better for DT, no question.

James
post #15038 of 30939
The quote function doesn't work on my crackberry, so I'm replying to the BP6 versus SM450 guy...

I found my SM350's sounded better than my BP6's from 80 hz and above. If you have a sub, I'd go with the 450's anyday considering how good I hear they are compared to the 350's.

I just sold my 350's, so a new pair of 450's are on the way to match the BP-10's. I'm excited to hear music with the matching drivers.

I still don't know if I'll replace my CLR2500 with 6.5's. I'm finding I like my music in 4ch, not 5ch, and the 2500 is great for movies. I'll sit tight until a CLR3000 shows up on craigslist someday.
post #15039 of 30939
Quote:
Originally Posted by htotay View Post

Guys,
Whereas before, I used to listen to more movies that music. But now, it turned the other way around. I barely watch movies/TV anymore, more on music. In this regard, I'm planning to upgrade my front speakers (PM 800) as I can see (and hear) they are not up to the task of delivering the music. I want to hear something more! I have a good deal with the SM 450's and BP6b's for almost the same price. I am leaning on the BP6 as I won't be needing stands if I purchase the 450's. Not to mention that BP6 are towers as compared to the 450 which are bookshelf speakers. Please share your thought as regards to which pair to get, performance and sound quality wise. Bear in mind that I cannot audition both because there is no store in the country where I can do so, so I'll just rely on your suggestions and experiences regarding the speakers in comparison. I'm planning to get also the most affordable of the EMOTVA line, the UPA-2 stereo power amp (holiday sale) http://www.emotiva.com/upa2.shtm to compliment my upcoming upgrade and use my receiver's pre-out for the fronts. Here we go to the never ending process of upgrading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by htotay View Post

Anybody? I guess it's a no-brainer for the BP6b after reading most of the threads here.

From what I recall throughout this threads history, most have opted for the BP6B. The reasons have generally been because they're BP towers. And I should add that the option was usually between the SM350 or the BP6B.
Personally, I would pick the SM450 or the SM350 over the BP6B or the BP7006 for that matter.
I feel the Studio Monitors are superb speakers.
I have a pair of SM350s and I will never get rid of them. They are excellent for music/HT and they never run out of uses. They can be used at every channel in a home theater or in any room for different setups.
post #15040 of 30939
^ You mean like this one? (CLR 3000 on ebay) :

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEFINITIVE-TECHN...item1e59a4a1fe

EDIT: OOPS!!! you said craigslist. Still a pretty solid offer though.

James
post #15041 of 30939
I would guess the BP line will shrink very soon. I don't see how they can keep selling as they are vanishing from strores and ebay sellers are liquidating...They have dissappeared from the big box stores here, and the local hi-end stores I've gone to, refuse to carry anything but mythos. They don't even want to special order BP. In fact the last salesman told me to get rid of that old BP crap as the mythos line is better in all ways. (I disagreed)

In the last 3 months, I have seen Bestbuy and Ultimate blow out everything except a few BP speakers. I can now only find 7006, CLR2002, SCIII, a few remaining BP6's being blown out at half price, and one BB that has SM350's (all the other BB's in town closed them out).
post #15042 of 30939
I had an idea and wondered if it was good or bad. I mentioned I bought enough parts to make 3 bpvx's, the truth is I was going to make the 3rd into a center channel with all 6 speakers facing straight out and then sell my clr 3000 to pay for the whole campaign. I have found that the 3000 cannot match the output of the 7001's and how could it with only half the drivers, plus the sub portion of it really doesn't make any sense. If I set the receiver lpf for the center properly it send any info that would activate the 3000 sub to the real subs down below.

Any thoughts?
post #15043 of 30939
Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

dual trinitys would definitely rock

i was thinking about "building" a pair of BPVX's

i emailed the seller for a price list about a month ago. he must be very busy or forgot

Just message the "bajawaverunner" guy on ebay. It cost me $200 in parts per bpvx speaker. I'll let you know how mine go. If you don't hear back within 2 days just keep sending him the same email, his communication is a bit lousy.
post #15044 of 30939
Quote:
Originally Posted by headedforhighend View Post

From what I recall throughout this threads history, most have opted for the BP6B. The reasons have generally been because they're BP towers. And I should add that the option was usually between the SM350 or the BP6B.
Personally, I would pick the SM450 or the SM350 over the BP6B or the BP7006 for that matter.
I feel the Studio Monitors are superb speakers.
I have a pair of SM350s and I will never get rid of them. They are excellent for music/HT and they never run out of uses. They can be used at every channel in a home theater or in any room for different setups.

Finally...Thanks! So the SMs are better for music as compared to the BP6b's? I'm looking for DefTech speakers which are good not only for HT but specially for Music. I'm limiting my choices to the BP6 and SM450 due to budget constraints.
post #15045 of 30939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideofpotatos View Post

Just message the "bajawaverunner" guy on ebay. It cost me $200 in parts per bpvx speaker. I'll let you know how mine go. If you don't hear back within 2 days just keep sending him the same email, his communication is a bit lousy.

cool. thanks
post #15046 of 30939
It took me a couple tries to get him. I was trying to see if I could build a CLR2000 from his stock. They no longer can source the crossover or endcaps, but have everything else.
post #15047 of 30939
need more opinion please as to which is better for music: SM 450 or BP6b..Kindly consider that there is no way I can audition both as you cannot get this speakers to the country where I live - Jordan.

headedforhighend has already voted 1 in favor of the SMs. need more polls, badly.
post #15048 of 30939
See my post above. Same story... I'd go 450's.
post #15049 of 30939
What do you think makes the BP6s "not so much good for music" in relation to the SMs. Is it it's being a bipolar speaker? or something(s) else?
post #15050 of 30939
What do you think makes the BP6s "not so much good for music" in relation to the SMs. Is it it's being a bipolar speaker? or something(s) else?
post #15051 of 30939
Quote:
Originally Posted by htotay View Post

What do you think makes the BP6s "not so much good for music" in relation to the SMs. Is it it's being a bipolar speaker? or something(s) else?

I love the bipolar speakers. They are wonderful. My BP10's are great for music.

The BP6's just seemed to be missing something that my SM350's had. Some folks claim that the tweeters are different (smaller magnets) some claim that the cast basket makes a difference...I don't really know what it is. To me, it just seemed like the SM350's just have a little something extra in sound quality.

The bass extension of the BP6B was great, and that was a benefit, but when I crossed both over at 80hz, I just liked the 350's more. There are a million posts here about the 450's being even better, so...
post #15052 of 30939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevergreen View Post

I love the bipolar speakers. They are wonderful. My BP10's are great for music.

The BP6's just seemed to be missing something that my SM350's had. Some folks claim that the tweeters are different (smaller magnets) some claim that the cast basket makes a difference...I don't really know what it is. To me, it just seemed like the SM350's just have a little something extra in sound quality.

The bass extension of the BP6B was great, and that was a benefit, but when I crossed both over at 80hz, I just liked the 350's more. There are a million posts here about the 450's being even better, so...

how do the bp30's compare to the 450's?
post #15053 of 30939
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7r53l View Post

how do the bp30's compare to the 450's?

the bp30s blow them away like the planet Vulcan blowing up in the new star trek movie

IMO
post #15054 of 30939
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7r53l View Post

how do the bp30's compare to the 450's?

These really can't even be compared...they're in entirely different leagues.
post #15055 of 30939
What do you think makes the BP6s "not so much good for music" in relation to the SMs. Is it it's being a bipolar speaker? or something(s) else?
post #15056 of 30939
Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

the bp30s blow them away like the planet Vulcan blowing up in the new star trek movie

IMO

I think you need a new analogy. The planet sucked big time
post #15057 of 30939
sorry for the multiple posts..anymore opinions please?
post #15058 of 30939
Quote:
Originally Posted by htotay View Post

sorry for the multiple posts..anymore opinions please?

You can delete extraneous posts. (It's an option in the EDIT section.)

There probably aren't a lot of owners who have compared those exact speaker pairs, so asking repeatedly may not yield more responses than you've already gotten. Do you have a way to just listen to them and compare for yourself? Or buy with a return option so you can try them in your own space?
post #15059 of 30939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevergreen View Post

I think you need a new analogy. The planet sucked big time

post #15060 of 30939
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

You can delete extraneous posts. (It's an option in the EDIT section.)

There probably aren't a lot of owners who have compared those exact speaker pairs, so asking repeatedly may not yield more responses than you've already gotten. Do you have a way to just listen to them and compare for yourself? Or buy with a return option so you can try them in your own space?


Though I'm honestly craving for opinions, it's not my intention to re-post my post. Thanks for pointing the delete option to me though.

Unfortunately, I have no way of auditioning this speakers as there are none available here in Jordan.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Owners Thread