or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Definitive Owners Thread - Page 869

post #26041 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post

I think we are talking about different speakers.. I'm referring to the 8060st's I'm getting today... I thought you said to set the front speakers to small.. I know you have to set the surrounds to small.. My onkyo doesn't have a small ,large setting.. just a full or you set it by hz..

FULL=LARGE, Setting by HZ=SMALL on the Onkyos. The floor standers can be set to maybe 40hz. Give it a shot then try FULL. See what you like. 60hz is also a good setting to try. Run Audyssey and see what it sets them to. You can raise the crossover with out affecting Audyssey's settings. You just can't lower the crossovers from what Audyssey sets.
post #26042 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@Definitive View Post

Welcome to the family, Low! I am glad you are taking the plunge. Now go buy a bunch of your favorite music and play it loud. Movies too (Casablanca and Chinatown are two favorites that get better the more you watch them.) Best, Joe

Is there a break in period for these or is it bs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post

FULL=LARGE, Setting by HZ=SMALL on the Onkyos. The floor standers can be set to maybe 40hz. Give it a shot then try FULL. See what you like. 60hz is also a good setting to try. Run Audyssey and see what it sets them to. You can raise the crossover with out affecting Audyssey's settings. You just can't lower the crossovers from what Audyssey sets.

I'll try that,thanks Badger.. I know I have my paradigm monitor 7's set to full and I think it sounds better..
post #26043 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehuman View Post

24x18

Hello Lovehuman,
It's partly a matter of aesthetics. Both speakers sound great, and they cost the same. The ST and STS are a remarkable combination of styling and sound quality - really a cool product. The BP 8080 is a physically larger product, but still looks nice. Some folks love the bipolar sound (especially the forward-focused bipolar array that we do now), some prefer the direct radiating sound with a wide sound stage like ST and STS. Your room is pretty good sized, so one consideration is...how loud you will play it? The 8080 has more cabinet space and larger woofers, so it can go somewhat louder / lower. The comparison is really apples and oranges... which is why we have 2 speakers at the same price point. Normally a vendor would not do that. I hope this helps - best, Joe
post #26044 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post

Is there a break in period for these or is it bs?



I'll try that,thanks Badger.. I know I have my paradigm monitor 7's set to full and I think it sounds better..

Hello Low,
Yes, there is a break-in period with all speakers in my view. It's a little bit like getting a new baseball glove or pair of shoes. It doesn't take too much for them to loosen up and start feeling better. Some people are of the opinion that you shouldn't even listen to them until you crank 75 or 100 hours on them. In my experience it doesn't take that much, but a good bunch of music for a while sure helps. Try turning your cd player on repeat and leave it play while you're at work. My guess is that by the time you get home 10 hours later, they will already sound better. Good luck! Best, Joe
post #26045 of 30962
Awesome that Joe comes in here to answer questions.. You know their customer service is gonna be top notch also.. Kudo's Joe!
post #26046 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowtech1 View Post

awesome that joe comes in here to answer questions.. You know their customer service is gonna be top notch also.. Kudo's joe!

+1!!!!
post #26047 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumps View Post

I have the 8080 setup and am quite happy with the Reference sub. I would prefer the Trinity, but it's overkill in my room.

Chris

Hello Low and Mumps,
Trinity is awesome! Reference is pretty close and a smaller cabinet. If your price point is under a grand, consider the SC 6000. In a compact cabinet, it has outstanding performance. The remote makes it easy to blend it with your mains from your favorite chair. Some of your decision is a cost consideration, some an aesthetics consideration. I hope this helps - best, Joe
post #26048 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post

Awesome that Joe comes in here to answer questions.. You know their customer service is gonna be top notch also.. Kudo's Joe!

Hi JoePags and Low,
Thank YOU GUYS for buying Definitive...and everybody else on the site too! I only get the chance to jump in and help because you chose us, and we are grateful. Best, Joe
post #26049 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@Definitive View Post

Hello Lovehuman,
It's partly a matter of aesthetics. Both speakers sound great, and they cost the same. The ST and STS are a remarkable combination of styling and sound quality - really a cool product. The BP 8080 is a physically larger product, but still looks nice. Some folks love the bipolar sound (especially the forward-focused bipolar array that we do now), some prefer the direct radiating sound with a wide sound stage like ST and STS. Your room is pretty good sized, so one consideration is...how loud you will play it? The 8080 has more cabinet space and larger woofers, so it can go somewhat louder / lower. The comparison is really apples and oranges... which is why we have 2 speakers at the same price point. Normally a vendor would not do that. I hope this helps - best, Joe

Thanks for your response Joe. I haven't heard both (still trying to find a store in my area which carries either of them). I do get that it apples to oranges comparison. I just wanted to get the feel of which one people like more bipolars or ST/STS. Hopefullt I will find those to get the feel and then go for one fo those. The room is a dedicated media room and most of the times used for movies rather than music.
post #26050 of 30962
Are most of the folks using a separate sub or the ones built in?
post #26051 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@Definitive View Post

Welcome to the family, Low! I am glad you are taking the plunge. Now go buy a bunch of your favorite music and play it loud. Movies too (Casablanca and Chinatown are two favorites that get better the more you watch them.) Best, Joe

I'm thinking more like Tron Legacy.. That movie will make those speakers work..
post #26052 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehuman View Post

Are most of the folks using a separate sub or the ones built in?

Sounds like a future Definitive owners "poll.". :-)

I currently do not have "other" subs but plan to (or at least would like to). For music alone or DTs used primarily for music, the powered bass drivers can "definitively" hold their own for most owners. Toss in an abundance of HT enthusiasm and additional subs with deep digging prowess are usually added. :-)

Cheers
post #26053 of 30962
2 12" Rythmik's!
post #26054 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post


Is there a break in period for these or is it bs?

I'll try that,thanks Badger.. I know I have my paradigm monitor 7's set to full and I think it sounds better..

I heard my bp7000sc change in the first 30 minutes of playing. It was weird, but the change was for the better. Sounded very flat at first. It didn't really happen till I turned the volume up around -15 or so. So ya if you don't crank it, they might never break in lol
post #26055 of 30962
Anyone familiar with the DefTech BP2006TL line of speakers? It seems they were out around 2000 or so. I have found a pair locally for around $300/pair and was wondering if this would be a "safe" purchase, provided of course that the speakers were in good shape and played well. Even if the price is good, I do not want to buy something with known problems or weak performance. Thanks.
post #26056 of 30962
I have 2 x BP7002 with a CLR 2300 as the center channel. The 7002's are utilizing the sub input from my AVR, should the CLR as a center channel be hooked up in the same manor?
post #26057 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevies3 View Post

I have 2 x BP7002 with a CLR 2300 as the center channel. The 7002's are utilizing the sub input from my AVR, should the CLR as a center channel be hooked up in the same manor?

Near all here will tell you no.

The reason is you don't want to use the "bass driver" in the center channel for LFE (or sub out). It's purpose is to provide as close to a full range, small form factor speaker as possible etc.

I'm an avid user/proponent of running RCA/LFE runs to my BPs given my configuration. However, my CLR3000 is via speaker wire only.

Now if you wanted a dedicated run from each "pre-out" for each channel that's OK. Yet the minuscule performance gain (if any) would not be worth the additional wiring in most cases.

Cheers
post #26058 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

Sounds like a future Definitive owners "poll.". :-)

I currently do not have "other" subs but plan to (or at least would like to). For music alone or DTs used primarily for music, the powered bass drivers can "definitively" hold their own for most owners. Toss in an abundance of HT enthusiasm and additional subs with deep digging prowess are usually added. :-)

Cheers


LOL!!! yes it's a future Definitive Owner poll. Right now looking at

2 x BP8080ST
1 x CS8080HD
4 x SR8080BP

the sub will be the next one.
post #26059 of 30962
UPS was just here and he only had one 8060st, must be getting the rest tomorrow..
post #26060 of 30962
that sucks!!! too heavy for them to lift all of those in one delivery?
post #26061 of 30962
No,I'm pretty sure they came from 2 diff places.. It says they will be here tomorrow.. No worries,I'll hook up the mirages so I can do a comparison tomorrow..
post #26062 of 30962
yeah let us know the results!!!
post #26063 of 30962
Definitely..
post #26064 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumps View Post

I have the 8080 setup and am quite happy with the Reference sub. I would prefer the Trinity, but it's overkill in my room.

Chris

I'm not familiar with that word. What is this "overkill" of which you speak?

Said the guy who has two Trinity subs in his family room.

post #26065 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Jack View Post

I'm not familiar with that word. What is this "overkill" of which you speak?

Said the guy who has two Trinity subs in his family room.


Those things are $2999 a piece.. Can I have a grant?
post #26066 of 30962
Hello,

I am a beginner in A/V looking for some advice. I am looking to add a pair of definitive floorstanding speakers to my home entertainment center in my living room. At this point I have a fairly decent sound bar (L/C/R), plus a pair of surround speakers, and a subwoofer, driven by Denon 3311CI. I use it for general purposes - watching movie, TV, sports, and listening to all types of music. My living room is about 20 by 20, with vaulted ceiling. Honestly I am quite happy with what I have now, so if I were to add something it would be largely for enhancements. Questions:

1. Would adding a pair of floorstanding speakers be redundant to, or interfering with the sound bar?

2. All my other speakers are from a different brand (Pinnacle). Would mixing brands be OK?

3. If the answers to 1 & 2 are no, what definitely speakers would you recommend?

Any other thoughts would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
post #26067 of 30962
Ok gentlemen,I need you opinion.. Where do I mount the new surrounds..?
LL
LL
post #26068 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post

Those things are $2999 a piece.

Only if you pay retail (and who does that?).

Two words: Bajawaverunner. Sale.
post #26069 of 30962
Funny... Now look at my pics and give me an opinion.. :P
post #26070 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehuman View Post

Are most of the folks using a separate sub or the ones built in?

I use 2 seperate subs and then cross all of my speakers (8060st front, 8060 center, 8040st rear) at 50hz. This allows the speakers to handle the mid-bass and my subs to handle the low end. Subs are an Outlaw Audio LFM1-EX and a velodyne vrp1200.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Owners Thread