or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Definitive Owners Thread - Page 894

post #26791 of 30951
Indeed. I thought BP10b's were kinda chunky but the new towers are quite hefty. A big improvement after all. Thank you.
post #26792 of 30951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Bought my first DT speaker recently...the SM350 (Cheap from New Egg last week).
I know, these are probably the bottom of the DT barrel...but a really nice speaker just the same.
Small footprint, but very nice speaker. Nice bass extention for a small bookshelf. Midrange clear and detailed and the highs are good. Won't get reference kind of loud, but pretty solid speaker for music. Will give them a HT trial this weekend...but watched a couple scenes of Avatar and they seem pretty good (AV reciever in my bedroom is not surround, so 2.0)

Good choice, no bottom of the barrel speakers in the Def Tech line. I haven't heard a Def Tech I didn't like. I have the 350's as well, I use them as surrounds and am very pleased. Welcome to the thread.
post #26793 of 30951
Hey folks,

In my living room a have a 5.1 system that includes a pair of DT BP2002's up front, a CLR2000, BP2X rears, and a Hsu VTF-15H sub. I'm using a Denon AVR-3808ci as my pre-pro and an NHT Power5 as a separate amp. I've had the system for about 5 years, mostly for movies (the Hsu sub was added more recently in order to make sure everyone on my block knows when I'm watching an action movie ).

That said, over the last year I've been using the system a lot more for music (for which I run the BP2002's as "small" so that all the bass is supplied by the Hsu sub). Lately, I've been noticing distortion when playing certain jazz tracks. For many songs I don't notice any issues -- when I hear the distortion it's usually when pianos play chords or else with brass instruments play, especially trumpets. I always hear the same distortion when playing the same tracks, however. It sounds either like something is lightly muffled or else like there is some fabric that is vibrating.

I have two other systems besides this system, a stereo in my bedroom running Ascend Acoustics speakers, and my car stereo running Hybrid Audio Technology speakers. When playing the same problem tracks on either of these systems, I don't hear any problems. They play perfectly clear.

I'm wondering whether the problem is with one or more of the drivers that I may have damaged somehow, which would explain why I only started noticing the distortion recently, or whether it's just some inherent issue with the speakers (i.e. they just aren't as crystal clear as the Ascends or the Hybrids), and I only started noticing it as my ear has become more discriminating (and as I tax the system by playing jazz music that's simply harder reproduce flawlessly and/or harder to mask flaws). I don't notice any issues whatsover when I'm watching movies on the Deftechs. Dialogue and sound effects are awesome. And most music sounds good too. I just notice the issues with jazz music, and specific tracks at that.

Have others with BP2002s noticed any sound quality issues with jazz music? For those who have compared BP2002s to other speakers intended for music, how did the BP2002s compare? My speakers are out-of-warranty, but I'd certainly pay to replace a busted driver or two if that's the issue. Or, if the speakers are simply playing their best and I'm beginning to find their inherent flaws, maybe its time I swap these guys out.

Thanks for any thoughts!
post #26794 of 30951
I'm currently running 7.2 using a Denon 5308ci as a pre-amp with an Outlaw 7900 ( 300w x 7 ) providing the power. I'm planning on driving to Atlanta to have the DSX upgrade done on the Denon and adding 4 presence speakers, two up front and two in back.

My room is roughly 17 x 16 and the seating is about 24" from the back wall. I don't have the room to do a wide setup with towers since there is a window and fireplace on one side of the room.

I'm driving DefTech BP7000sc and a CLR3000 up front, BP10B's flank the seating, and I have a pair of EoSone RSR 350 ( by Polk ) mounted about 4 feet apart on the rear wall behind the seating, a Berkline couch w/ power recline on the ends. The EoSone are a trapezoid-type speaker with a 6.5" direct-firing woofer and 1" tweeters at 45° on each side.

My idea was to get a pair of SM55 or SM450 for the front height, put them in the corners and point them towards the listening position. I was going to leave the BP10b's where they are at but move the EoSone to a back height position. I had 45° brackets made for them years ago and used to have those flanking the couch and pointing down. I was looking at either the UIW BPZ/A or UIW 75 for the back surrounds. I'm not sure which ( direct or bipole ) would make better back surrounds since the couch is only 24" from the back wall.

The SM55's or SM450's and EoSone RSR 350's would be driven by the Denon and the rest by the Outlaw.

Opinions please...
post #26795 of 30951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder240 View Post

Hey folks,

In my living room a have a 5.1 system that includes a pair of DT BP2002's up front, a CLR2000, BP2X rears, and a Hsu VTF-15H sub. I'm using a Denon AVR-3808ci as my pre-pro and an NHT Power5 as a separate amp. I've had the system for about 5 years, mostly for movies (the Hsu sub was added more recently in order to make sure everyone on my block knows when I'm watching an action movie ).

That said, over the last year I've been using the system a lot more for music (for which I run the BP2002's as "small" so that all the bass is supplied by the Hsu sub). Lately, I've been noticing distortion when playing certain jazz tracks. For many songs I don't notice any issues -- when I hear the distortion it's usually when pianos play chords or else with brass instruments play, especially trumpets. I always hear the same distortion when playing the same tracks, however. It sounds either like something is lightly muffled or else like there is some fabric that is vibrating.

I have two other systems besides this system, a stereo in my bedroom running Ascend Acoustics speakers, and my car stereo running Hybrid Audio Technology speakers. When playing the same problem tracks on either of these systems, I don't hear any problems. They play perfectly clear.

I'm wondering whether the problem is with one or more of the drivers that I may have damaged somehow, which would explain why I only started noticing the distortion recently, or whether it's just some inherent issue with the speakers (i.e. they just aren't as crystal clear as the Ascends or the Hybrids), and I only started noticing it as my ear has become more discriminating (and as I tax the system by playing jazz music that's simply harder reproduce flawlessly and/or harder to mask flaws). I don't notice any issues whatsover when I'm watching movies on the Deftechs. Dialogue and sound effects are awesome. And most music sounds good too. I just notice the issues with jazz music, and specific tracks at that.

Have others with BP2002s noticed any sound quality issues with jazz music? For those who have compared BP2002s to other speakers intended for music, how did the BP2002s compare? My speakers are out-of-warranty, but I'd certainly pay to replace a busted driver or two if that's the issue. Or, if the speakers are simply playing their best and I'm beginning to find their inherent flaws, maybe its time I swap these guys out.

Thanks for any thoughts!

this could be many things...but one question... when your ran your calibration what levels did it set you towers too?....are they like -4 or -5 on your towers?...check this and if they are try turning them up too 0 and replay the same jazz in stereo like you have.Let me know if you still hear the distortion...
post #26796 of 30951
I have a chance of picking up a pair of BP2000TL's in excellent condition for 600.00 dollars. Is this a good price?
post #26797 of 30951
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1908 View Post

I have a chance of picking up a pair of BP2000TL's in excellent condition for 600.00 dollars. Is this a good price?

Yes, and haggle a bit if you can. Check them over well. The main difference between the BP2000TL and the BP2000 is the sub section is ported in the TL and thus also has a higher power amp (500 watt in the TL if my memory is correct vs 300).

Typically you see the 2000TLs in the $800-$1000 range.

Good luck
post #26798 of 30951
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

Yes, and haggle a bit if you can. Check them over well. The main difference between the BP2000TL and the BP2000 is the sub section is ported in the TL and thus also has a higher power amp (500 watt in the TL if my memory is correct vs 300).

Typically you see the 2000TLs in the $800-$1000 range.

Good luck

Thanks, KJSmitty. Anything I should be looking for on this model? (problem wise) Do you think I should try to get cheaper?
post #26799 of 30951
Picked up some open box Definitive speakers at BB yesterday. A pair of StudioMonitor 350s for $219 and a Mythos Three center for $129. The 350s as mains sound great in my smallish room and seem to match the center. Of course my question is this an OK deal? After I hooked them up and ran a calibration they sound awfully good for $348 and I have thirty days to return them so no harm no foul. Your input will be greatly appreciated.
post #26800 of 30951
[quote=bguzman;22094652]Picked up some open box Definitive speakers at BB yesterday. A pair of StudioMonitor 350s for $219 and a Mythos Three center for $129. The 350s as mains sound great in my smallish room and seem to match the center. Of course my question is this an OK deal? After I hooked them up and ran a calibration they sound awfully good for $348 and I have thirty days to return them so no harm no foul. Your input will be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE

BP30's would be 10 times sweeter I have them up for sale and your right down the road from me...lol
post #26801 of 30951
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES MCHUGHES View Post

BP30's would be 10 times sweeter I have them up for sale and your right down the road from me...lol

Thanks but I don't have room for towers. These, or something else around this size, will have to do. Any opinions on what I bought?
post #26802 of 30951
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1908 View Post

I have a chance of picking up a pair of BP2000TL's in excellent condition for 600.00 dollars. Is this a good price?

That's a great price. I paid 875 for a pair in great condition a few months ago and I am very happy with them.
post #26803 of 30951
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

this could be many things...but one question... when your ran your calibration what levels did it set you towers too?....are they like -4 or -5 on your towers?...check this and if they are try turning them up too 0 and replay the same jazz in stereo like you have.Let me know if you still hear the distortion...

Josh, thanks for the reply. I'll check the levels this evening and post a reply.

I do recall that I last ran Audyssey calibration back in February or March, and tht would have been about the time I started playing more jazz and noticing the issue I described.

If I rule out the levels as the source of the problem, what else are you thinking as a possible cause?
post #26804 of 30951
I just recently moved and finally have and have a good living room for HT. More proportional...

I have the BP2002 as my Fronts and CLR2002 for my Center.

I know this has been answered a million times but not sure how to search it well
But where should the built in sub facing? I did some search from Google and most people have it facing both fronts. What if it is being placed facing the wall?
post #26805 of 30951
I'm looking to fill out the final piece of my hometheater with a deftech clr 2002 hopefully. Anyone have one in practically new condition they want to offload.
post #26806 of 30951
Can anyone give a personal testimonial for the DT AW6500 outdoor speakers?
post #26807 of 30951
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

That's great, glad it worked out for you. One hell of a pair of speakers for 350.

Thank you TruWarrior and G Bart for helping Vtnzr. We love to see happy DT customers. Best, Joe
post #26808 of 30951
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES MCHUGHES View Post

Those are called tree locks very easy to replace just call Chet and he will probably send you some free of charge
Chet is the best!!!!!!

Hello The, I am glad you love your BP 8's. Yes, those tree locks can be replaced, but sometimes the post shears off and the broken treelock nub is stuck in the top cap. So you need to remove that. Adam showed me something he wrote up on removing the treelock nub so that the posts can fit. You can reach Adam and Chet at info@definitivetech.com. Best, Joe
post #26809 of 30951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Can anyone give a personal testimonial for the DT AW6500 outdoor speakers?

I have four of them on my patio. They have been out four two years now and still sound great. Not a ton of bass but they sound pretty good for the size. I run them off an older Yamaha DSP-A1 receiver at 110 watts. Overall no regrets towards the purchase.

Cheers
post #26810 of 30951
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAISKI View Post

I just recently moved and finally have and have a good living room for HT. More proportional...

I have the BP2002 as my Fronts and CLR2002 for my Center.

I know this has been answered a million times but not sure how to search it well
But where should the built in sub facing? I did some search from Google and most people have it facing both fronts. What if it is being placed facing the wall?

Hello Braiski, in our view the answer is "try it both ways". Depending on room size, having them face the walls sometimes sounds like there is more bass, whereas having them face inward sometimes gives you cleaner or tighter-sounding bass. But again, this varies with the room and with your own personal listening preference - so try both and let us know what works best for you. Thanks for buying Definitive - Joe
post #26811 of 30951
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejsm View Post

I'm looking to fill out the final piece of my hometheater with a deftech clr 2002 hopefully. Anyone have one in practically new condition they want to offload.

PM sent
post #26812 of 30951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@Definitive View Post

Hello Braiski, in our view the answer is "try it both ways". Depending on room size, having them face the walls sometimes sounds like there is more bass, whereas having them face inward sometimes gives you cleaner or tighter-sounding bass. But again, this varies with the room and with your own personal listening preference - so try both and let us know what works best for you. Thanks for buying Definitive - Joe

Hi Joe, thanks for the reply... Great to know I was wondering if there "should" be a proper way.

The living room is about W-13'x L-15' (18' really but the HT area is till 15').

Currently the BP2002s are placed about 19" from the back wall and 22" from the side wall. But I want to mention on both corners there is a book case which is 22.5" x 17" then I put my BP around the corner of the book case.

So far I am a lot happier than my previous set up since the other place was an odd shape living room, the TV was in the corner.
post #26813 of 30951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Bought my first DT speaker recently...the SM350 (Cheap from New Egg last week).
I know, these are probably the bottom of the DT barrel...but a really nice speaker just the same.
Small footprint, but very nice speaker. Nice bass extention for a small bookshelf. Midrange clear and detailed and the highs are good. Won't get reference kind of loud, but pretty solid speaker for music. Will give them a HT trial this weekend...but watched a couple scenes of Avatar and they seem pretty good (AV reciever in my bedroom is not surround, so 2.0)

Congrats and the SM350 is a nice pair for the price you paid. At full retail there are other choices but IMO DT speakers are a tremendous value when they are discounted or bought used.
post #26814 of 30951
Quote:
Originally Posted by raehza View Post

Hey guys.

I just ordered a Pair of SR8040BP's from www.electronics-expo.com to add them to my other DefTechs. They have the Surrounds for an incredible price. I can't mentioned it here, but you can get it if you CALL them. You will NOT see the most accurate price on their website.

Call and use extension 150. Rich is the guys name. I am NOT affiliated with them, but simply an extremely satisfied customer. I bought 2 ST towers from them, a center channel and a receiver, and I had saved hundreds..... I can't really give out the numbers but I can almost bet that you won't find it cheaper anywhere.

If I am not allowed to post other websites link here, I apologize. I will edit the link out.

Ray

Raeza, i have dealt wit Rich and is an excellent person to deal with. Even i got a fantastic deal on my Def tech setup.
post #26815 of 30951
Bought the StudioMonitor 350s from NE for an awesome price.

Received them, set them up as computer speakers for my Macbook Pro, and they sound awesome. The only problem is that the feet are uneven and the speakers "rock" back and forth if you touch them and play them at high level. The Definitive guy on the phone told me to hit up NE but in the meantime, he suggested that I try to gently hammer the feet in.

I hammered them very gently with a cloth covering and rubber hammer and it seems to have helped. The problem still remains and the feet are still uneven. I'm a bit disappointed, Deftech is known for their build quality (the manual even says that the speakers come from the factory as "perfect" which is probably one of the most arrogant things I've read in a manual ever) but this makes me think twice about that.
post #26816 of 30951
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post

Bought the StudioMonitor 350s from NE for an awesome price.
Received them, set them up as computer speakers for my Macbook Pro, and they sound awesome. The only problem is that the feet are uneven and the speakers "rock" back and forth if you touch them and play them at high level. The Definitive guy on the phone told me to hit up NE but in the meantime, he suggested that I try to gently hammer the feet in.
I hammered them very gently with a cloth covering and rubber hammer and it seems to have helped. The problem still remains and the feet are still uneven. I'm a bit disappointed, Deftech is known for their build quality (the manual even says that the speakers come from the factory as "perfect" which is probably one of the most arrogant things I've read in a manual ever) but this makes me think twice about that.


Nothing's perfect (common sense) but I will tell you that def tech is one of the best companies to deal with for warranty and to me that says a lot from not just my experience but from many other owners!!
post #26817 of 30951
Quote:
Originally Posted by coN83 View Post

So i jumped on a pair of SM55. Brought them home, had a small audition for about 30 minutes. Early impressions?


Pretty incredible. They have a forward sound vs the LSI9s (which are very laid back, dark) but they are NOT fatiguing at all. Bass suprisingly doesnt distort at higher volumes, they completely stay coherent along with the rest of the freq. spectrum. Dreams by Fleetwood Mac sounded incredible cranked up.


Ill have to break them in so im gonna leave them running for the next two days and start some serious listening.


Unless the break-in period is less than 50 hours... Joe?


Unloading in the garage:


I read great reviews on the new SM's. I may purchase a pair very soon.
post #26818 of 30951
I recently moved to a smaller apartment, temporary, and I have a few questions regarding positioning that I was hoping you guys could help me with. First, let me say that my setup consist of BP-30's (L,R) c/l/r-2000 (C) BP1.2x (SR, SL) as well as a MFW-15 subwoofer (the amp in my sub bit the dust last night) all powered by a Denon avr-3312.

First, I would like to do a sketch up of the room and post it here so that I could get some opinions on placement, but, I have no idea how to do a sketchup on the computer? Any advise on that? I guess I could use the Microsoft Paint program, I am not sure though?

Second, what is the general school of thought on how far to pull the towers out from the front wall? How far should the towers be from the side walls? How important do you guys think it is to have the Left and Right speakers equal distance from the side walls?
post #26819 of 30951
Hello Galvatron,
I chatted with Adam in tech support, and got a better handle on your situation. You may have a bottom end cap that has become a bit warped. If that is the case, you have a five-year warranty, and returning the speakers to NewEgg for replacement is one option. Another is to simply put some rubber pads underneath the speaker. If either the end cap or your computer desk isn't perfectly flat, those little plastic covers that keep the end cap screws from scratching your desk can create the "rocking" scenario. The good news - replacing those with rubber pads alleviates the situation. If you don't have rubber pads, we can send you some. Just let us know - info@definitivetech.com. Thanks for buying DT and I am glad the speakers sound awesome! Best, Joe
post #26820 of 30951
Hello Con83, in my experience, as little as 4-8 hours can begin to give that smoother, more impressive sound that we associate with break-in. But there are others here who are convinced you get an additional improvement after 50 or so hours. There are no hard and fast rules really. A speaker with a bass radiator, like an SM 55, may need a little more break-in than a tuned port product like the SM 45. The really good news is that your favorite music works great as break-in material. So put on some stuff you love, listen to how good it is, and know that it will get even better sounding as time goes on. Zappa, Peter Gabriel, Jeff Beck, Robin Trower, Fleetwood Mac...it's all good! Best, Joe
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Owners Thread