or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Definitive Owners Thread - Page 917

post #27481 of 30942
1.how old are these DT BP10?

2.doe's the lower raditater appear normale? it appears to be just a big hole and no radiater woofer?

3.which is the front and back?

4.can a tower speaker be cut in half and made into a monitor type speaker?

5. doe's this speaker have the same type of woofer and tweeter as the SM450?

STB






6.I'm thinking these are the orginale BP10 made in 1990?
Edited by stevethebrain - 12/2/12 at 8:43am
post #27482 of 30942
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

I too have BPX for the rear and side, and use Di6.5 for the height channel.

That was my first thought but didn't want to cut in to 2 layers of Sheetrock. Are you happy with sound? I saw someone say go wides before height. What are your thoughts? Height would be easier for me. I have the Denon 4520.

Any thoughtson BPX for front heights?


Thanks
post #27483 of 30942

Audyssey has always recommended going Wides, then Heights, then Rears in order of importance to sound sensitivity.  They base this on how people perceive sound.  When I first built my HT, it was hard wired for 7.1 including rears.  When I recently moved to a Denon 4520, the heights and wides were the channels I had to add to go to full 11.1 channels.  I've always loved my DefTechs and wanted to keep them (BP7002's, CLR2500, BPVX) while remaining close in timbre when I added the Wides/Heights.  I also wanted the Wides/Heights to be direct radiators even though the rest are bipoles.  In the end, I added Pro Monitor 1000's and the soundstage still sounds seamless to me, after running Audyssey MultiEQ XT32.  I have always wondered if the SM series might have been a better choice, but I'm content for now.  ("for now" always being the active term in these things).

post #27484 of 30942
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post

1.how old are these DT BP10?
2.doe's the lower raditater appear normale? it appears to be just a big hole and no radiater woofer?
3.which is the front and back?
4.can a tower speaker be cut in half and made into a monitor type speaker?
5. doe's this speaker have the same type of woofer and tweeter as the SM450?
STB



6.I'm thinking these are the orginale BP10 made in 1990?

1. Actually if the picture isn't tricking my eyes I would say they are BP10b's. They appear to have the aluminum vs silk tweeter.. Anywhere from approx 1996 and newer.

2. It does appear normal - there is no driver or radiator in/for the port on the BP-10s.

3. The port goes to the rear.

4. The internal volume of the tower is precise to the tuning and sound of the drivers. Modify the the tower and you change the volume/tuning etc.

5. The 450s did use the similar drivers/tweeters as BP-10b's (they may not have the same part numbers yet are of the same 6.5 inch and aluminum tweeter family/series etc.).

Cheers.
post #27485 of 30942
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

1. Actually if the picture isn't tricking my eyes I would say they are BP10b's. They appear to have the aluminum vs silk tweeter.. Anywhere from approx 1996 and newer.
2. It does appear normal - there is no driver or radiator in/for the port on the BP-10s.
3. The port goes to the rear.
4. The internal volume of the tower is precise to the tuning and sound of the drivers. Modify the the tower and you change the volume/tuning etc.
5. The 450s did use the similar drivers/tweeters as BP-10b's (they may not have the same part numbers yet are of the same 6.5 inch and aluminum tweeter family/series etc.).
Cheers.

What someone did was changed the crossover in the cabinet. This is a BP10B cabinet the BP10 cabinet has the tree locks more centered to the cabinet unlike the BP10B are more to the outer edges of cabinet
post #27486 of 30942
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES MCHUGHES View Post

What someone did was changed the crossover in the cabinet.

How do we know this from the pictures?😀 Or are you talking about if he cut the BP10b box down to a monitor/bookshelf..
And yes, can be hard to tell from a picture yet even the tower size doesnt look like the older 10s. They were more square - still rectangular yet wider across the front and shorter front to back. 10b's are just wide enough to accommodate the 6.5 driver and the thickness of the sides.

Cheers
post #27487 of 30942
guys, i have bp6's for the fronts, clr2002 for the center and bp2x's for the surrounds,

on the receiver (onkyo 818), the impedence of the speakers should be set to 6 ohms right?

another question, how is the CS-8040HD compared to my clr2002? is it a huge difference?
Edited by lamonsasa - 12/2/12 at 6:54pm
post #27488 of 30942
Thanks for the earlier advice on the ProCinema 80 series. It looks like another guy on craigslist has the Procinema 100 series (no sub) MK II versions for around $200. That seems like a good deal to me (any advice is appreciated). I already have an Energy S10.3 sub, so that is not a showstopper for me. He is missing some of the pedestals, but I called Def Tech and they are seeing if they still have them. I know it's not the newer series, but this seems like a better deal that starting with the Def Tech 60 or even 400/600 series. Does anyone have these and have any feedback on them? Thanks again.
post #27489 of 30942
Ok, I figured why I hate Audyssey with my towers. When I run it with my BP7000SC it removes all the bass! I ran Audyssey again with the towers unplugged and with my HGS18 sub and the results were much better. I couldn't really tell a diference in the level of bass with the audyssey enabled or disabled. Anyone else find thating audyssey kills the bass on the powered towers? I'm guessing it's because the bump in the lower bass due to the passive raditators.
post #27490 of 30942
Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 View Post

Ok, I figured why I hate Audyssey with my towers. When I run it with my BP7000SC it removes all the bass! I ran Audyssey again with the towers unplugged and with my HGS18 sub and the results were much better. I couldn't really tell a diference in the level of bass with the audyssey enabled or disabled. Anyone else find thating audyssey kills the bass on the powered towers? I'm guessing it's because the bump in the lower bass due to the passive raditators.

When I had my 7001's up front, it set them to full, I set them at 40hz. I have them in back now and set to 50hz. Audyssey always set them to full if I had them near a wall. I use xt32 now with very good results. My only minor issue is that the phantom center effect is almost too present.
post #27491 of 30942
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

Audyssey has always recommended going Wides, then Heights, then Rears in order of importance to sound sensitivity.  They base this on how people perceive sound.  When I first built my HT, it was hard wired for 7.1 including rears.  When I recently moved to a Denon 4520, the heights and wides were the channels I had to add to go to full 11.1 channels.  I've always loved my DefTechs and wanted to keep them (BP7002's, CLR2500, BPVX) while remaining close in timbre when I added the Wides/Heights.  I also wanted the Wides/Heights to be direct radiators even though the rest are bipoles.  In the end, I added Pro Monitor 1000's and the soundstage still sounds seamless to me, after running Audyssey MultiEQ XT32.  I have always wondered if the SM series might have been a better choice, but I'm content for now.  ("for now" always being the active term in these things).

What did you use to power the last two channels? How would you mount the SM series for heights? Would you try to angel them to the listening position or just on a shelf??


Thanks for the input
post #27492 of 30942
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post

Have a nice vacation and thanks for your help here on the board
Thank you Seven, I had a great time off and I am feeling rejuvenated. Play some music tonight and enjoy it!
post #27493 of 30942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

I think you would be fine by going with the SR-8080's. Timbre matching is really only important in the front LCR's, and although some people get really anal about having the same "timbre" all the way around, it is my opinion that, unless you listen to a lot of multi-channel music, you would be best served with a pair of the SR-8080's. Now granted, the BPV/X's are really good, they are also very expensive, and in my opinion, not needed.
Hello Colonel, I think Marty's got a point that the timbre matching is more important across the LCR than it is in the sides / rears. The SR-8080 would be a good pick for sides in your system. Also, Magnolia can order pretty much any of our products, so if your local store does not carry what you want, just ask them to special order it. Good luck and let us know if we can help further - best, Joe
post #27494 of 30942
Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 View Post

More I think about it, they must be phased to the match the mids. Just curious if the towers may cancel each other out? Seems that I never had issues though. Every time I have each tower plugged in, I appear to gain more bass.
Hey True, I used to work for Velodyne and the HGS 18 is a nice product smile.gif Remember that phase can only be truly correct at a specific frequency, so it doesn't surprise me that you got that result. Your towers should not cancel each other out if you have them correctly placed, but part of correct placement is getting them so that they are in the best location to not have the woofers fight each other. Thanks for owning DT - best, Joe
post #27495 of 30942
Well I was originally planning on upgrading my center, but came across am awesome deal on bpx that will replace my BP 1.2. I haven't heard the bpx, but I imagine it will be a huge upgrade. How do these compare? Thanks.
post #27496 of 30942
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollie83 View Post

Well I was originally planning on upgrading my center, but came across am awesome deal on bpx that will replace my BP 1.2. I haven't heard the bpx, but I imagine it will be a huge upgrade. How do these compare? Thanks.

I haven't heard the 1.2X's, but I would imagine going from two 4.5" drivers to four 5.25" drivers should make a significant difference. I have a pair of BPXs and BPVXs and they sound awesome. I would bet they are on a whole different level compared to the 1.2X's. They would be able to add some bass to your surrounds, which I'm sure the 1.2X's lack.

Though if it's a choice between upgrading the center or the surrounds, I would definitely upgrade the center first if you can't afford both at once.
Edited by bradthebold88 - 12/3/12 at 10:59pm
post #27497 of 30942
Hey everyone. I had a question regarding bi-poles against a non-flat back wall. I was looking at getting something using the 8060ST deals that are going on, but I'm concerned about my back wall. Most people seem to say something along the lines of... Plan on 15" from the back, hope for 24" from the back, strive for 36"+ from the back... or there about. My main concern is that my great room uses a TV nook. The room itself is your typical rectangular shape (although one side is open into the kitchen), but the back wall where I'll be putting the TV has about a 2 feet deep notch/nook where the TV and speakers will go.

*IMPORTANT NOTE* The attached image is of a model home based on the same layout my in-progress house is being built to, with one very important exception: I DO NOT have the fire place as shown. Instead, I have a nook that extends the length of the fireplace up to the far side of the frame, as shown in blue additions.

The actual width of the nook in blue is 10 feet wide. I'll have a 65" plasma on a ~60 inch wide TV stand, so I have roughly 30 inches on each side of the TV to work with, give or take. Will the 2 feet deep sidewalls of the nook wreak havoc on the front bi-poles? I Even if I can get it say 2 feet off the back and 2 feet off the sides, once the sound hits the back walls it's going to ram into the side walls in a hurry won't it? I'm trying to convince myself it won't, because I'd love to get the 8060s, but I'm preparing for the fact that maybe monopoles would work better in that space.

Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations.

post #27498 of 30942
Man,that room is so small. If you can turn your couch around and put the tv on the wall where that pic is you might be able to pull it off. 8060's are overkill for that room,you might not be able to get the sound you want. I'd go with book shelf's and a sub. Or the 8020's since they are smaller.
post #27499 of 30942
Yeah, it's not humungous, but it might be bigger than that image makes it seem. These are some other angles of the great room / kitchen. (Yes, the cabinets changed color. I had photoshopped first shot in messing with colors. :P)



post #27500 of 30942
I am gettting ready to do some experimenting with the way I position the speakers in my room. I currently have BP-30's and a C/L/R-2000 for my front LCR's.

Generally, how far from the front wall should I try to pull out my BP-30's from?
Also, generally, how far from the side walls should I shoot for?

The main thing that I am having doubts over is that in my new room, when positioning the BP-30's, there will be a wall to the right of the right speaker, but on the left side of the left speaker, there is no wall as it is open. My room is retangular and on the other end, opposit the end that I just described above, there is a door that opens to the outside, so that end is out of the question.

So my questions are....

1. Is it ok to have an open space to the left side of the left BP-30?
2. What is the optimal, and most recommended amount of space that I should leave between the front wall and my BP-30's?
3. What is the optimal, and most recommended amount of space that I should leave between the side wall and my BP-30's?

Thanks in advanced for any help that you guys could possibly provide.
post #27501 of 30942
I've been considering an upgrade to my mains and center, but every time I listen to the BP30's I'm reminded how great they sound. Would the CS-8080 be a good match for them? I know the older 2000 series is good, but I don't like buying used.
post #27502 of 30942
Ericwilliams,
I actually think you will be fine. The room is nice and without the fire place the 10 ft opening will work. With your 60 inch entertainment center you will have approximately 2.5 ft on either side. Place the 8060s right in the middle of that 2.5 ft space and about 12 inches out from the wall, toed slightly inward. The fun time I see you having is surrounds/rears. Are you pre wiring for those?

I actually have a very similar situation with my livingroom setup. We have a very large built-in in the middle of our large front wall that houses a 60 inch plasma. The entire built-in sticks out about 24 inches. It's flanked by a large fireplace that extends out from the wall and positioned at a 45 degree angle on the left and a small wall on the right. Like yours, I have about a 2x2 ft space on either side of the built-in. I utilize an older pair of BP2000s positioned in the center of each spot toed inward and about 12 inches out from the wall. Initially I too felt it might significantly hinder the bipolar effect/overal performance. In all reality it sounds great. We also have a modest dedicated HT yet the 60 inch plasma is our only 3D display in the house. Every time we watch a movie I am still blown away by the entire soundstage regardless of what might appear as a undesirable placement issue..

One will always run into placement issues when working with a livingroom environment, you just make the most of it. Overall I think yours will sound great.

Cheers
post #27503 of 30942
Anyone wanna buy my Def Tech setup and amp for $8k? Local dealer has a killer demo deal lol

1 NAD M25 amp
2 BP7000SC
3 CLR3000
2 BPVX
post #27504 of 30942
I'll throw in a HGS18 too eek.gifbiggrin.gif
post #27505 of 30942
Let me check my change jar smile.gif
post #27506 of 30942
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post


What did you use to power the last two channels? How would you mount the SM series for heights? Would you try to angel them to the listening position or just on a shelf??
Thanks for the input


I had a Pioneer AVR that I was not using (110w/chnl) and it was just fine for powering the 2 extra speakers, especially since they are the smallest and least power hungry.  I would mount the SM's with something like this   http://fourpair.com/ccp6_09/ccp0-prodshow/309510BK.html

 

Heights are usually recommended to be angled toward the main listening position, which I have done.

post #27507 of 30942
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejason777 View Post

Let me check my change jar smile.gif

I'm not counting it lol
post #27508 of 30942
Hi!

I need to buy speakers for a 5.1 HT setup in our media room (primarily it will be used for movie watching). DefTech seems like a good option. We already used them in the living room and like what I hear. In the living room I used Mythos Two (L/R), Mythos Nine (C), two DI-6.5R in-ceiling speakers and SuperCube I. In media room, we have different space constraints and I am thinking of a different setup:

* StudioMonitor 65 for L/R. The space is not a factor for these speakers. I could use any model. The tower speakers were the first choice but after some thinking I decided against using speakers with built-in sub. I was not sure that it would be powerful enough and if I need to use a dedicated sub then why to have subs in the front speakers? Too complicated :-) Between Mythos Ten and SM65, SM65 seems like a better choice given that there are no space constraints. From what I read, SM65 seems to be just as good (and cheaper :-)
* For a central channel, I do have some constraints. It would be nice if I could fit it into a 5 1/2" shelf. This does not leave me much choice in DefTech lineup (or anyone else's lineup to that matter). Mythos Nine fits the space and looks like a reasonable option. Here comes my first question. Will SM65 work well with Mythos Nine? Another alternative would be to use CS-8040HD in a double doors cabinet. The doors have fabric covers but the wooden frame (about 2" thick on each door) would then obstruct the center of the speaker. I have no idea how this would affect speaker performance. Has anyone had an experience with such setup?
* For surrounds, I decided to go with StudioMonitor 45. For these speakers I also have space constraints. They have to fit into a horizontal shelf that is 10 1/2" high. SM 45s would need to be placed horizontally. SM documentation does not say anything about horizontal placement. Is it OK to to use SM speakers in horizontal position? I googled it and read somewhere that some guy used SM65 as a center channel and DefTech representative told him that it was OK. Can anyone confirm this?
* Finally a sub. No constraints here (except for financial ones :-) I am still choosing between SuperCube Reference (probably B-stock) and 8000.

Any advice would be appreciated. Our media room size is about 20x25 feet (regular hight).
post #27509 of 30942
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

Ericwilliams,
I actually think you will be fine. The room is nice and without the fire place the 10 ft opening will work. With your 60 inch entertainment center you will have approximately 2.5 ft on either side. Place the 8060s right in the middle of that 2.5 ft space and about 12 inches out from the wall, toed slightly inward. The fun time I see you having is surrounds/rears. Are you pre wiring for those?
I actually have a very similar situation with my livingroom setup. We have a very large built-in in the middle of our large front wall that houses a 60 inch plasma. The entire built-in sticks out about 24 inches. It's flanked by a large fireplace that extends out from the wall and positioned at a 45 degree angle on the left and a small wall on the right. Like yours, I have about a 2x2 ft space on either side of the built-in. I utilize an older pair of BP2000s positioned in the center of each spot toed inward and about 12 inches out from the wall. Initially I too felt it might significantly hinder the bipolar effect/overal performance. In all reality it sounds great. We also have a modest dedicated HT yet the 60 inch plasma is our only 3D display in the house. Every time we watch a movie I am still blown away by the entire soundstage regardless of what might appear as a undesirable placement issue..
One will always run into placement issues when working with a livingroom environment, you just make the most of it. Overall I think yours will sound great.
Cheers
Hi Eric, I think KJ is right. The forward-focused bipolar array products that we produce now are more placement friendly than the older products, as they have about 6 dB less output from the rear. If you place them flush against the wall, you will limit the spacious bipolar sound, but you don't need to have them 3-6 feet into the room, either. Mine are about 15 inches from the wall, and they sound great. I hope this helps, and enjoy them! Best, Joe
post #27510 of 30942
Quote:
Originally Posted by liloatavs View Post

Hi!
I need to buy speakers for a 5.1 HT setup in our media room (primarily it will be used for movie watching). DefTech seems like a good option. We already used them in the living room and like what I hear. In the living room I used Mythos Two (L/R), Mythos Nine (C), two DI-6.5R in-ceiling speakers and SuperCube I. In media room, we have different space constraints and I am thinking of a different setup:
* StudioMonitor 65 for L/R. The space is not a factor for these speakers. I could use any model. The tower speakers were the first choice but after some thinking I decided against using speakers with built-in sub. I was not sure that it would be powerful enough and if I need to use a dedicated sub then why to have subs in the front speakers? Too complicated :-) Between Mythos Ten and SM65, SM65 seems like a better choice given that there are no space constraints. From what I read, SM65 seems to be just as good (and cheaper :-)
* For a central channel, I do have some constraints. It would be nice if I could fit it into a 5 1/2" shelf. This does not leave me much choice in DefTech lineup (or anyone else's lineup to that matter). Mythos Nine fits the space and looks like a reasonable option. Here comes my first question. Will SM65 work well with Mythos Nine? Another alternative would be to use CS-8040HD in a double doors cabinet. The doors have fabric covers but the wooden frame (about 2" thick on each door) would then obstruct the center of the speaker. I have no idea how this would affect speaker performance. Has anyone had an experience with such setup?
* For surrounds, I decided to go with StudioMonitor 45. For these speakers I also have space constraints. They have to fit into a horizontal shelf that is 10 1/2" high. SM 45s would need to be placed horizontally. SM documentation does not say anything about horizontal placement. Is it OK to to use SM speakers in horizontal position? I googled it and read somewhere that some guy used SM65 as a center channel and DefTech representative told him that it was OK. Can anyone confirm this?
* Finally a sub. No constraints here (except for financial ones :-) I am still choosing between SuperCube Reference (probably B-stock) and 8000.
Any advice would be appreciated. Our media room size is about 20x25 feet (regular hight).
Hi Lilo, here are a few thoughts:
1. Having a powered tower and a sub is not really overkill at all. Increasing the number of active bass radiating surfaces can be very helpful in getting good, smooth bass throughout the room, as long as you place them correctly. Many industry experts advocate this, including electronics manufacturers who have no vested interest in selling more subs (which of course I do!).
2. SM 65 are a killer product, and if you go for them you will love them.
3. Mythos 9 will work well with SM 65's, and is probably a better bet than having a CS 8040's tweeter firing into a 4 inch wide set of wooden frames.
4. SM series speakers will work out great if placed horizontally. There will be a slight change in the high frequency dispersion, as the shelf will have some sonic influence on the tweeter. But for the money the SM 45 is a great speaker, and if it won't fit when placed vertically... we do what we can with the environment we are given, right?
5. Sub - a used Reference or a new SC 8000 would be a great choice. Or get two of them...smile.gif
6. Buy a copy of "A Quiet, Normal Life: The Best of Warren Zevon", and play it enough times to wear it out. It will make you smile:) OK, that last part was pure opinion...Best, Joe
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Definitive Owners Thread